Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
geobandito
Johnny Miles

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby geobandito » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:12 pm

ultraslacker wrote:I thought you HRMs would like this:

Today I met some people for a hike. It's an easy hike, really more of a trail walk: very little elevation change, but some ice, snow, rocks, mud, and creek crossings.

One of the girls brought her 10 week old baby girl. :) Mom and dad are both ultra runners, so of course they want to be active with her. She stayed wrapped up against mom's chest most of the time, and slept. Until she got hungry. Then mom took her out and nursed her while hiking. It was awesome. I told her she's a superstar! lol

Definitely the youngest person I've ever hiked with. :)

Go, little girl! I think we took Zain for an easy hike when he was 5 weeks old. We also took him snowshoeing once when he was old enough to go in the back in the carrier. I think he was asleep the entire time for both outings. :-) My cousin just gave us a baby backpack and we're so excited about trying it out!
2014 Running Plans
remembering how to run!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:26 pm

I'm impressed at any mom who can move while breastfeeding! I have to stay still.

pts, for yours and Gavin's sake, I will hope my baby guess is wrong!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:34 pm

FishPants wrote:I'm impressed at any mom who can move while breastfeeding!

I was definitely impressed! When she said she was going to stop and feed her, I thought that's what she meant... but she just stopped to take her out of the snuggly and then carried and fed her at the same time. Then baby went right back to sleep and was quiet for the rest of the hike. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:59 pm

pts wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:I thought you HRMs would like this:

Today I met some people for a hike. It's an easy hike, really more of a trail walk: very little elevation change, but some ice, snow, rocks, mud, and creek crossings.

One of the girls brought her 10 week old baby girl. :) Mom and dad are both ultra runners, so of course they want to be active with her. She stayed wrapped up against mom's chest most of the time, and slept. Until she got hungry. Then mom took her out and nursed her while hiking. It was awesome. I told her she's a superstar! lol

Definitely the youngest person I've ever hiked with. :)

Very cool! :)

I think about 10 weeks was the youngest we hiked with Gavin too.

So, for once I am looking for 'no labour' vibes tonight. Gavin is throwing up and I don't want to send him off to my parents when he is sick. :( Poor little guy.

Boo, my prediction was wrong :( I'll stop sending labour vibes for now. Get better, G!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:16 pm

FishPants wrote:I'm impressed at any mom who can move while breastfeeding! I have to stay still.

I did today so I could see where John was.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:22 pm

IronColl wrote:
FishPants wrote:I'm impressed at any mom who can move while breastfeeding! I have to stay still.

:lol:

Dex has been fed when I'm "on the move" at playgroups a few too many times. I really need to put my boobs away.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:23 pm

IronColl wrote:

I figure I will become a pro at the moving/BFing with a toddler, right? I am good at it with a carrier on, but I think I will have to learn it with babe in arms too!

Blah, Gavin can't stop dry heaving, and every time he throws up just enough that we need to strip him down and change everything. I am almost out of overnight covers for his diaper now, and they are wool so they need to air dry.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:35 pm

pts wrote:
IronColl wrote:

I figure I will become a pro at the moving/BFing with a toddler, right? I am good at it with a carrier on, but I think I will have to learn it with babe in arms too!

Blah, Gavin can't stop dry heaving, and every time he throws up just enough that we need to strip him down and change everything. I am almost out of overnight covers for his diaper now, and they are wool so they need to air dry.

any idea why he's puking? :(
i run for me.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:40 pm

Irongirl wrote:
pts wrote:
IronColl wrote:

any idea why he's puking? :(

I think (hope!) it is something he ate- he was eating some dirt in the backyard this afternoon before I got to him and got him to stop ( :lol: ). No fever and is fine between throwing up so hopefully not a bug. I am sleeping on the futon and D is in our bed with him, they are asleep now I think. D is really nervous I will get sick, so we are trying to keep my contact with him minimal, but he wants his mom when he throws up.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:10 pm

pts wrote:
IronColl wrote:

All very impressive to me! :)

Because of my, er, assets, I can't move around because they just flop all over the place. Maybe I will master it with Beta when I am chasing John?

I struggled a lot with breastfeeding with John at the beginning, so my block may be mental instead of physical...

geobandito
Johnny Miles

Postby geobandito » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:21 pm

Irongirl wrote:Dex has been fed when I'm "on the move" at playgroups a few too many times. I really need to put my boobs away.

:lol:

pts, I hope the little guy feels better soon.
2014 Running Plans
remembering how to run!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:24 pm

FishPants wrote:
pts wrote:
IronColl wrote:

All very impressive to me! :)

Because of my, er, assets, I can't move around because they just flop all over the place. Maybe I will master it with Beta when I am chasing John?

I struggled a lot with breastfeeding with John at the beginning, so my block may be mental instead of physical...

It did dawn on me the other day that it's pretty easy for me to be so mobile while BFing due to my lack of assets. :P

I found BFing this time around SO much easier and less stressful......but, that was my experience. ;)
i run for me.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:36 pm

Hats off to those of you with assets who run. I do not find it comfortable at all, and am looking forward to being little again.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:43 pm

IronColl wrote:Hats off to those of you with assets who run. I do not find it comfortable at all, and am looking forward to being little again.

That's why I am so serious about my sports bras!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:50 pm

FishPants wrote:
IronColl wrote:Hats off to those of you with assets who run. I do not find it comfortable at all, and am looking forward to being little again.

That's why I am so serious about my sports bras!

A good sports bra is worth its weight in gold (say the fellow chesty runner).

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:25 pm

haha, my boobs get big (for me) after babies too, and don't go down at 3 mos or so like most women. I forgot that part! :lol:

G is still sick, and did end up getting a fever. Two other kids from daycare wednesday are sick too (one is a friend of mine who just emailed me about it), so at least we know the source. I hope it is a 24-hour thing, I want to go into labour tonight!

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:25 pm

My boobs are gross (picture tube socks with a tennis ball in them), and I only breastfed 6 months. Kiza, I do hope the second time around is less stressful. I started off with mastitis then had to count down from 10 for 8 full weeks before it stop hurting when he first latched. And I was always worried that the baby was not getting enough! Next time I hope I will not worry as much.

I do remember though the first time bfing in public! I was so pumped I PMd Kiza right away!!!!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:05 pm

Lightning wrote:My boobs are gross (picture tube socks with a tennis ball in them), and I only breastfed 6 months. Kiza, I do hope the second time around is less stressful. I started off with mastitis then had to count down from 10 for 8 full weeks before it stop hurting when he first latched. And I was always worried that the baby was not getting enough! Next time I hope I will not worry as much.

I do remember though the first time bfing in public! I was so pumped I PMd Kiza right away!!!!

I remember the first time I did too! Well, the first time it counted. I did once in the caf at Mac hospital (after Gavin had to be rushed there by us after he failed the first round of a newborn screen that ended up being a false positive- stupid test!). The first time that I will 'count' was at Balzac's cafe in stratford, I was with a friend who had a 6 month old and was BFing her, so it made it so much easier for me to just 'do it'.

Lightning- 16 days? Is that right? YAY!!! Are you in full taper mode?

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:20 pm

I first BF in public at the chiropractor's! Once I got my stylish maternity poncho, it made it much easier. (it actually says that on the package...it's hospital green and rather ugly). It was also much easier when John and I figured stuff out.

John and I have been taking daily walks to the mailbox. It's so hard to believe that this independant little guy was once my helpless, squishy little baby! And man, is he opinionated!

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:54 pm

I just re-read my post and I sounded like Borat in it. Sorry for the grammar errors. Yes, not far now pts. One last 32k tmw then TAPER!!!! My favourite time! We got our info for the race in the mail this week...I am going to shop and get every bit of cheesy gear available.
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:35 pm

Lightning wrote:I just re-read my post and I sounded like Borat in it. Sorry for the grammar errors. Yes, not far now pts. One last 32k tmw then TAPER!!!! My favourite time! We got our info for the race in the mail this week...I am going to shop and get every bit of cheesy gear available.

You should! And make sure to wear it everywhere!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:40 pm

AndyM wrote:
Lightning wrote:I just re-read my post and I sounded like Borat in it. Sorry for the grammar errors. Yes, not far now pts. One last 32k tmw then TAPER!!!! My favourite time! We got our info for the race in the mail this week...I am going to shop and get every bit of cheesy gear available.

You should! And make sure to wear it everywhere!

I agree!

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:49 pm

Yay Lightning! I'm pumped for you!!

pts, hope that G gets better soon so that you can have this baby already!!

I also BF at my chiropractor's one of the first times!! I think the very first time was at Stars and Strollers. It was kind of a disaster, but it was dark and it didn't matter! I found it really hard to BF without my big nursing pillow. By the time we took V to Vancouver at 4.5 months (where I BF'd EVERYWHERE), I was pretty comfortable with it.

I only ran once this week. Meh :) My cold is dragging on and on. There is a 5k race in my hood in 2 weeks that I am planning to do, but other than that, no big races planned!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:02 pm

My other friend who is pregnant (41 weeks today) just posted a status that she is in labour :) I hope everything goes well for her!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:32 am

My friend had her baby! A little girl last night :) This is one of my friends from my mom's group, where we all seem to have boys, except for one other mom. It's nice to have a second girl!

Return to “The Scenic Route”