Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
jes
Jerome Drayton

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby jes » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:04 pm

I'm running, but just three times a week: one tempo with Andy (he's trying to kill me, I swear :evil: ), one easy or tempo depending on who I'm with, and one long run. About 35-40k. And I'm okay with that. I'll start training for ATB mid January, but right now I'm enjoying not having a set schedule.

I'm enjoying it a bit too much though I think...I've gained about 5lb since Hamilton...opps! :oops:
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:18 pm

remember the hip injuries that I tried to avoid my not running too soon after Dexter was born?

somehow - I seem to have that injury now.

I'm teaching the RR hypo half clinic, but, I'm not walking only, not running anymore.

My 27 pounder is really hurting me, I think.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:25 pm

That sucks about the hips! Do you think it is from carrying Dexter around?
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:09 pm

Kiza - I'm sorry to hear about your hips! Do you think it could be a post-baby gait change, rather than a running too soon issue?

Colleen - good for you! You're doing IMC, right? I'm excited to follow your training!

Sara - that looks like a really good class. hope you can make it work!

Jes - 35-40km in 3 runs is great! I'm running more often, but only doing 45-50 km - I'm need to work on getting my "regular" runs up in distance.

I'm running! It was 6 days per week, now I'm doing the December streaking challenge, and will likely do 100 runs in 100 days starting on the 15th (I think that's when it starts at least - I haven't seen anything on TriRudy or ST about it this year like there was in 2009). I'm waffling about the full or half for the spring, but leaning towards the full - it is about 6 weeks after I go back to work, so most of the training will be behind me - just three more hard weeks. I guess it will also depend on what job I go back to -- being able to run at lunch is one of the criteria I'm using for my search, but it might not happen. It would certainly make things easier to balance (though I am such a morning runner at my core). I wish Ottawa didn't fill up so soon, so I could waffle for a while longer.

Speaking of waffling...I still haven't signed up for winter swimming. I can't decide whether to stick with it or not. Jes - are you swimming these days?
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:41 pm

IronColl wrote:That sucks about the hips! Do you think it is from carrying Dexter around?

yup. and from picking him up, putting him down - and putting both kids in and out of the van.

I only carry him on my right side - I'm useless on my left, and, my left lower back and hips are killing me.

I've seen chiro and RMT, but, getting to an appointment when you have two kids is really tough. So, I've decided to just lay low and wait until I'm back at work to start dealing with it.
i run for me.

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi everyone! Nice to hear all of the updates, even if some of them are not super-good news.

I am running 4-5 days per week, just signed up for my sixth ATB, where I will try to PB in the 30k distance. For now though, just running for funsies! Will start training seriously Boxing Day.

I NEVER venture elsewhere on RM...what is this streaking challenge? Guess I could go look. Or, have another Oreo...
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Lightning wrote:I NEVER venture elsewhere on RM...what is this streaking challenge? Guess I could go look. Or, have another Oreo...

It's on FB - being organized by Strides running store in Calgary, but a bunch of us non-Calgary maniacs have joined in. Minimum one mile everyday for december.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:47 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
Lightning wrote:I NEVER venture elsewhere on RM...what is this streaking challenge? Guess I could go look. Or, have another Oreo...

It's on FB - being organized by Strides running store in Calgary, but a bunch of us non-Calgary maniacs have joined in. Minimum one mile everyday for december.

If there's no nudity involved I'm not interested. ;)

JLA
Bruce Kidd

Postby JLA » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm here and I'm running! Max 5-6k two or three times a week, but hey, at 29 weeks preggo, I'll take it! Definitely getting stared at now, though. :D I'm the first to admit I ain't exactly poetry in motion these days.

This is the longest I've run into a pregnancy; with Alex I stopped at 28 weeks b/c I was getting really strong Braxton=Hicks after each run. I am taking it slower/doing shorter distances this time, though. And this kid is loving weekly spin class...rather than being lulled to sleep, he parties like it's 1999.

Great job to all you HRMs slogging through the off-season months - so much easier to sit around and eat shortbread. (Or Oreos!)

Kiza, is Dexter seriously 27 pounds??? Wow!! What size clothes is he wearing?

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:06 pm

Also about 29 weeks preggo over here and most definitely NOT running. I'm having enough trouble getting up the stairs in my house :P V gave me her cold, so I am sitting around the house today feeling sorry for my poor, unmedicated self. I can only tolerate so much lemon tea! I have to say that I am loving my chiropractor and RMT this pregnancy though...why didn't I go more often last time?? So good.

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:47 pm

question to you moms:

the wife of one of my staff just had a girl on Tues and I want to arrange something to be delivered to their house next week -this was baby #2 - any suggestions? I could do the flowers and a teddy bear, but thought i'd survey the knowledgable masses here! thanks!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:52 pm

CinC wrote:question to you moms:

the wife of one of my staff just had a girl on Tues and I want to arrange something to be delivered to their house next week -this was baby #2 - any suggestions? I could do the flowers and a teddy bear, but thought i'd survey the knowledgable masses here! thanks!

Peeking in cuz I love to lurk in here ;)

When a certain HRM in this thread had her #2, I sent a small gift for the baby (clothes for when she was a little older) and a small gift for the big brother (since he would see his sister getting gifts, I thought he'd like one too!).
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:52 pm

Edible arrangement! So pretty and mom can eat on the run.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:56 pm

food! do you have a place there that does nice frozen or prepared meals?
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Tori wrote:

Edible arrangement! So pretty and mom can eat on the run.

YES YES YES!

chocolate and fresh fruit - it was so so so good after Dexter was born!
i run for me.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:45 pm

JLA wrote:Kiza, is Dexter seriously 27 pounds??? Wow!! What size clothes is he wearing?

oh - I'm excited for you! When are you due again?

yup - with clothes and a diaper - the scale weighs in at 27 pounds. I've managed to keep Dexter+Kiza under 200 lbs (I was 170 pre-pregnancy)....I had to lose quickly for awhile. ;)

he's in 18-24 month, with a couple of 12-18 left that is probably too small.

(I'm just under 170 now....)
i run for me.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:00 pm

Irongirl wrote:
JLA wrote:Kiza, is Dexter seriously 27 pounds??? Wow!! What size clothes is he wearing?

yup - with clothes and a diaper - the scale weighs in at 27 pounds. I've managed to keep Dexter+Kiza under 200 lbs (I was 170 pre-pregnancy)....I had to lose quickly for awhile. ;)

Wow Dexter is a tank like Owen. They will be able to be the linebackers of their HS football teams one day!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:02 pm

Tori wrote:
Irongirl wrote:

Wow Dexter is a tank like Owen. They will be able to be the linebackers of their HS football teams one day!

hmm...at 3 years apart, they'll (thankfully) never be lining up against each other.

Oh dear.....can you just picture the two of us in 12-14 years, in the stands at the football games?!
i run for me.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:55 pm

Irongirl wrote:

Does that mean Zack will be getting more hand-me-downs? He's in 12-18 now...and mostly in 12mths stuff! :lol:

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Irongirl wrote:

Justin is a slacker. Not even 20lb and barely double his birth weight. :lol:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:

food! do you have a place there that does nice frozen or prepared meals?

Yes, food is awesome!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:19 pm

It's weird having a smaller baby. Damon doesn't even fit into his 6-12 mo pants and he will be 8 months on the 20th. He's about 18 lb.

He doesn't seem small to me, though. He keeps growing out of onesies sideways instead of longways.

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:43 pm

food
something to entertain baby #1

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:52 pm

An edible arrangement was the best gift I received when I had V!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:29 pm

Definitely food, but I'd vote for dinner instead of a snack type food. Or a night of babysitting once they feel up to leaving the baby with someone :)

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:08 pm

Sounds like everyone is doing great! SOrry to hear about the injury stuff Irongirl or sickness anners. Kudos to everyone though for at least trying to keep up fitness while managing kids and other demands.

Starting to settle into a bit of a new routine over here at new job. Scrummy, new place but similar work. Lots to adjust to with meeting new people, going to a new place etc. But overall I really like it and think it will be a great move for me in the long run. I was supposed to check out the gym this week but got derailed with meetings etc. I am really missing having a gym at my fingertips and time to use it. I haven't lifted a single weight, done a lunge or pushup since I left my last job almost a month ago. Managing about 30k-40K a week though. Would love for it to be more but I will take what I can get.

My little girl is doing amazing! She is so much fun and so hilareous. She is talking and talking and learns new words and sayings every day. I am enjoying her so much.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Return to “The Scenic Route”