Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
AndyM
Bill Crothers

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby AndyM » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:00 am

oobinsnaffa wrote:
anners wrote:Please tell me that I will be a better mommy once I am not pregnant anymore. I have no patience with V and I feel like a monster. :cry:

New to the game here... but hell yes, you will do better when you're not pregnant. I swear. I was a hormonal mess when I was pregnant with my second, and I had zero patience with E, who was 3 at the time. Make time for quiet cuddles, and just remember that "this too shall pass".

Also, hello! I'm Samantha, mom of 2 (4 & 1), and just getting back in the running groove after being on my couch far, far too long. Looking forward to hanging out here! :)

Welcome!

Yay anners, i hope you get a little bit of down time before baby comes. THe toddlers are sooooo hard at this age. I just have one but she is a handful as well. Oh and I think she's a mini as well, she weighed in just under 24lbs this week...at the hospital where we learned the hard way that she is allergic to nuts. Not a great week.

But awesome run with Jes and Marg yesterday. And I am sore - from "only" 17K. Man you lose it fast sitting around eating cookies over the holidays. :lol:

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:08 am

AndyM wrote:
oobinsnaffa wrote:
anners wrote:Please tell me that I will be a better mommy once I am not pregnant anymore. I have no patience with V and I feel like a monster. :cry:

New to the game here... but hell yes, you will do better when you're not pregnant. I swear. I was a hormonal mess when I was pregnant with my second, and I had zero patience with E, who was 3 at the time. Make time for quiet cuddles, and just remember that "this too shall pass".

Also, hello! I'm Samantha, mom of 2 (4 & 1), and just getting back in the running groove after being on my couch far, far too long. Looking forward to hanging out here! :)

Welcome!

Yay anners, i hope you get a little bit of down time before baby comes. THe toddlers are sooooo hard at this age. I just have one but she is a handful as well. Oh and I think she's a mini as well, she weighed in just under 24lbs this week...at the hospital where we learned the hard way that she is allergic to nuts. Not a great week.

But awesome run with Jes and Marg yesterday. And I am sore - from "only" 17K. Man you lose it fast sitting around eating cookies over the holidays. :lol:

Oh no! That must have been scary. Was it her first time trying nuts?

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:49 pm

Tori wrote:
AndyM wrote:holidays. :lol:

Yes. It was the scariest thing i've ever experienced. She will be going for allergy testing now to see if there is anything else that she is allergic to.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:05 pm

AndyM wrote:
Tori wrote:

Yes. It was the scariest thing i've ever experienced. She will be going for allergy testing now to see if there is anything else that she is allergic to.

So scary! Keeping you guys in my thoughts.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:06 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
AndyM wrote:
Tori wrote:

So scary! Keeping you guys in my thoughts.

Agreed.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:49 pm

AndyM - Yikes! I have two close friends with toddlers who are allergic to nuts. One of them is also allergic to seafood. Sounds like a stressful thing to deal with :(

jes - yes, V will stay in daycare. when I am on mat leave.

"Only" 17k? :lol: I'm lucky if I can waddle through 1.7k these days. You ladies give me inspiration.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:50 pm

anners wrote:
"Only" 17k? :lol: I'm lucky if I can waddle through 1.7k these days. You ladies give me inspiration.

I'm not incubating a human! You have an excellent excuse! (I don't think I could waddle 1k by the 8 mth mark, so I think you're miles ahead of me :D)
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

oobinsnaffa
Tom Longboat

Postby oobinsnaffa » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:39 pm

No 17ks happening around here any time soon. I don't even get that far in a week! :lol:

AndyM, I'm sorry to hear about the nut scare. How frightening. Food allergies are one of my biggest scares.

I'm off to Vancouver to visit family this week. My goal is to just not bail on running completely. If I can get 2 runs in this week, I'll be happy.
PBs: 5K: 32:52 - 8K: 55:08 - 10K: 1:05:57

2013 Races
Mar 24: Vancouver Spring Run-Off (8K): Finished, 55:08 (PB)
Aug 17: Spartan Sprint Calgary (3 miles): Finished
Sep 7: Spartan Super Red Deer (8 miles): Finished
Sep 28: Spartan Beast Sun Peaks (13 miles)
Nov 2: Banff Winterstart (5 miles)
Dec 31: Resolution Run Calgary (5K)

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:09 pm

It absolutely amazes me what kids remember.

John is driving me crazy in the kitchen - he keeps trying to steal my instant read thermometers because they are circles. :roll: I don't like him playing with them because the non-circle end is pointy! I gave him two plastic things that are circles: a scoop and a small cup with measures on the side. I think it holds 3 TBSP total.

He held up the little cup and was saying something. I deciphered "treat". About two weeks ago, I told him if he was good for bum change, I would give him a treat (I was desperate!) and I gave him a few chocolate chips in that cup. He has not seen the cup since. How he remembered that, I have no idea.

I gave him a few chocolate chips in it now. I guess I am re-enforcing that is the treat cup! :lol:

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:15 pm

:lol: Ok, I had to share with fellow mommas...

I got this message from a (newly-married, NO children) friend who is having a birthday today... "Hey, want to go for a spur of the moment drink tonight in stratford, say 11ish?" :lol: :lol: Please tell me that I am not the only one where a drink at 11pm, one hour away from where I live is so absurd it is funny?? Am I the only one who is that old? All I could think of was 1. holy crap, that is late and 2. I can't take Marianne to a bar. :lol:
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:42 pm

pts wrote::lol: Ok, I had to share with fellow mommas...

I got this message from a (newly-married, NO children) friend who is having a birthday today... "Hey, want to go for a spur of the moment drink tonight in stratford, say 11ish?" :lol: :lol: Please tell me that I am not the only one where a drink at 11pm, one hour away from where I live is so absurd it is funny?? Am I the only one who is that old? All I could think of was 1. holy crap, that is late and 2. I can't take Marianne to a bar. :lol:

I"m not even awake at 11 pm!!! let alone willing to drive for an hour in the winter to have a drink! :lol:

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:49 pm

pts wrote::lol: Ok, I had to share with fellow mommas...

No children but still my definition of insanity......
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:07 pm

Yep, just nutso! I've been asleep for hours at 11pm!!!

6k tempo on the Tm today...21k long run tomorrow outside...I sure hope it warms up!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:09 am

Sammy, S5, and Jes- glad to know I am not out of line in thinking it is insane! The best part was that the second person invited was my friend who is a single mom. Umm, what is she going to do, leave her toddler daughter at home while she heads out for a drink? I mean, finding a babysitter with less than a days notice is not easy.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:22 am

Baby craziness ensued at my house last night. I arrived home from Mexico to find my brother, SIL, niece and 2 yorkies had been living at my house all week. They live in Petawawa but my SIL is at the high risk pregnancy clinic in Ottawa. At her last appt on Monday she was not allowed to leave the city until after the baby arrived. She just hit 34 weeks so we had no clue how long they would need to stay with us.

Well ..... 2am this morning her water broke, they made it to the hospital in 25 minutes and had the baby at 3am!!!! It was an emergency c-section under a general as my nephew's feet were coming out. He weighs in at 5lbs 7oz not too bad for a preemie and is in NICU right now. Not sure how long I have my niece so I am hoping my daycare provider can take her with Owen for the rest of the week while mom recovers at the hospital. Oh and his name is Cale.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:25 am

Exciting night Tori!

Welcome to the world Cale, quite the dramatic entrance :D

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:31 am

Very exciting Tori! I'm glad that everyone is okay. I'm hoping to be an auntie again twice this week - my sister was due yesterday and my SIL is due on Sunday and they are both having girls and I'm so excited to get to snuggle newborn babies!

Pts - that's very funny. While I don't remember a part of my life when I would have gone out at 11 pm (well, maybe in university), the thought of doing it now is ridiculous.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:11 am

Wow - exciting, Tori! I wondered what the story was behind your FB status. Congrats!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:20 am

How exciting! Welcome Cale.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:31 am

Congrats to your family Tori! So exciting and I wish them all the best dealing with the NICU and such at the start, always hard to deal with but it will be over soon and they will be home snuggling their new little ones.

Kristi- super exciting news for you to come too! I love newborn snuggles!!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:45 am

That's true baby craziness! Welcome little Cale!

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:37 am

Congrats to your family, Tori. Crazy story! I hope that Mom and Cale are doing well. But, um, I am 35 weeks and starting to dislike stories about babies coming early! :P Not that I am high-risk, but let's hope this baby stays put for a few more weeks, please :)

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:32 am

Congratulations, Tori! Wow, quite the entrance on Cale's part, but I am happy to hear everyone is doing well.

oobinsnaffa
Tom Longboat

Postby oobinsnaffa » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Wow, congrats to your family, Tori! That's a good size for 6 weeks early. I hope he's released from the NICU soon, and mama recovers easily from the section.
PBs: 5K: 32:52 - 8K: 55:08 - 10K: 1:05:57

2013 Races
Mar 24: Vancouver Spring Run-Off (8K): Finished, 55:08 (PB)
Aug 17: Spartan Sprint Calgary (3 miles): Finished
Sep 7: Spartan Super Red Deer (8 miles): Finished
Sep 28: Spartan Beast Sun Peaks (13 miles)
Nov 2: Banff Winterstart (5 miles)
Dec 31: Resolution Run Calgary (5K)

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Congrats from me as well! I hope everyone is recovering quickly!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Return to “The Scenic Route”