commuting

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

ultraslacker
Site Admin

commuting

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:15 pm

my new job is only 7.5 miles from home.

I'm thinking of taking transit one way on some days and running home.

Also thinking of getting a bike.

But I don't want some fancy racing bike. Just commuting. Can I just buy a cheapo bike from walmart or crappy tire? Any recomendations?

Also, what are the rules of the road for commuters...? I mean the real rules, not cyclist-invented rules which piss off all the drivers and pedestrians.

Also, for those who live in Edmonton, can I go north across the high level bridge? I assume I'd have to take the sidewalk but is that accepted?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:17 pm

I got my bike at costco. It's slow since it's heavy, but it gets me to and from where I need to go. It only bothers me going up hill, but I can still get up the hills.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:17 pm

There is a bike use on both sides of the high level bridge. It is a shared walk/bike path so you really need a bell.

I'd highly recommend pinkbike.com for used bikes - like a decent but cheap commuter.

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:17 pm

If you seriously want a cheapo bike, I think I have one in my basement! It's yours for free. It will need a good tune up and possibly new tires but please feel free to relieve me from having it take up space in my house.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:19 pm

Tri_K wrote:If you seriously want a cheapo bike, I think I have one in my basement! It's yours for free. It will need a good tune up and possibly new tires but please feel free to relieve me from having it take up space in my house.

would it fit me?? I guess you and I are about the same height. I'm willing to give it a shot. :)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:20 pm

What's bike theft like in Edmonton? Do you have a secure place to keep your bike while at work? I'd always say to buy the best bike you can afford (read: not CT/Walmart), but if theft is a real issue, then a cheapo bike might be your only choice. Invest in an expensive lock, even if your bike isn't expensive.

Rules for bikes are pretty much the same as for cars. I usually ask myself, if I were driving a car, would I do this? Not sure if the laws in AB are any different than in ON. Just be sure to have a gong on your bike. :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:23 pm

La wrote:What's bike theft like in Edmonton? Do you have a secure place to keep your bike while at work? I'd always say to buy the best bike you can afford (read: not CT/Walmart), but if theft is a real issue, then a cheapo bike might be your only choice. Invest in an expensive lock, even if your bike isn't expensive.

I think I could bring it into the building. Not positive, but I can find out. There appears to be lots of space... I definitely would not want to leave a bike outside where I work, as it's a rather questionable part of town.

Rules for bikes are pretty much the same as for cars. I usually ask myself, if I were driving a car, would I do this? Not sure if the laws in AB are any different than in ON. Just be sure to have a gong on your bike. :lol:

I admit I'm a little scared about riding a bike on the roads during rush hour. Do I need to wear neon clothing and carry a tire iron? lol

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:24 pm

So, this means you took the admin job and wj is out? Did I miss that somewhere?
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:29 pm

http://www.canlii.org/ab/laws/sta/h-8/2 ... whole.html

I'd word-search bicycle - the bulk of the stuff is in sections 143-150 but there's stuff throughout (like the section which requires you to have a gong).

Alberta doesn't have mandatory helmets over age 18, but still a pretty good idea.

In any event, I'd be focused less on the law and more on learning to ride safe. Take a CanBike course. The law is only one little bit of safe riding.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:36 pm

I live only 12km from my work as well, and have been contemplating doing the same thing, biking to work, but not sure of the logistics of the major roads here. I have to cross train tracks and such, so my route is limited to two roads across those.
Mike . . . Do what you need to do NOW, so you don't deny yourself a future opportunity.
Upcoming Races:

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:36 pm

klewlis wrote:Do I need to wear neon clothing and carry a tire iron? lol

It can't hurt. A u-lock will substitute nicely for a tire iron in a pinch. ;)

(bright coloured clothing is a good idea, as is proper lighting)

Bikes are required to follow the same trafic laws as cars - you know slow down but don't quite stop at a stop sign - that sort of thing.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:45 pm

abhainn wrote:So, this means you took the admin job and wj is out? Did I miss that somewhere?

two places... financial forum and yesterday's daily thread. :)

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:47 pm

Lazagna wrote:I live only 12km from my work as well, and have been contemplating doing the same thing, biking to work, but not sure of the logistics of the major roads here. I have to cross train tracks and such, so my route is limited to two roads across those.

If you're in the south, PM me if you want help planning a route - I know all the shortcuts.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:51 pm

Mike Runs wrote:
Lazagna wrote:I live only 12km from my work as well, and have been contemplating doing the same thing, biking to work, but not sure of the logistics of the major roads here. I have to cross train tracks and such, so my route is limited to two roads across those.

If you're in the south, PM me if you want help planning a route - I know all the shortcuts.

yup, McKenzie Lake to Foothills Industrial... message sent
Mike . . . Do what you need to do NOW, so you don't deny yourself a future opportunity.
Upcoming Races:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:52 pm

for the locals, my route would involve mainly 106 st, 109 st, and Jasper ave. They're not huge arteries but they are still pretty busy and congested at rush hour... any ideas or tips for that? 109 has some bus lanes that I might be able to use... and 106 shouldn't be a problem...?

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:03 pm

Mike Runs wrote:In any event, I'd be focused less on the law and more on learning to ride safe. Take a CanBike course. The law is only one little bit of safe riding.

Generally speaking, following the rules will keep you pretty safe, but most motorists don't know the rules as they pertain to bikes (heck, many of them don't know/follow the rules for cars), so learning some safe riding techniques is helpful.

Be predictable. Signal your intentions. Once you decide what you're going to do (and signal it), don't hesitate - go!

Riding in the same direction of traffic is safer than riding against it, especially if you're in a bike lane or dedicated path. For example, here in TO we have a bike path along Lakeshore that is separated from the road by a 12-foot wide patch of grass. If I am riding on it in the opposite direction to the traffic, cars crossing the path aren't looking in my direction, they're looking to their left to merge with the traffic. If given a choice, I'll take the path on the other side (but sometimes a path doesn't give you that choice, so you have to be aware).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:06 pm

La wrote:especially if you're in a bike lane or dedicated path.

we don't have those.

maybe I will do a test run on a quiet morning (like a sunday morning) and see how it goes. the whole rush hour thing scares me.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:08 pm

klewlis wrote:

we don't have those.

maybe I will do a test run on a quiet morning (like a sunday morning) and see how it goes. the whole rush hour thing scares me.

Does Edmonton have a bike map (Mississauga does so why not Edmonton)?

You may be able to find parallel, quieter streets that are built to discourage cars from going through but not pedestrians and bikes. Of course they also have more stop signs :roll:.

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:12 pm

klewlis wrote:

we don't have those.

you get used to it - trust me. I find that you have to think of yourself being a vehicle. And, just don't be stupid, and you'll be fine.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:13 pm

So, I sent a PM to Mike Runs, but noticed it's still sitting in my outbox, and not sent. How long to PM's take to to through?
Upcoming Races:

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:20 pm

Lazagna wrote:So, I sent a PM to Mike Runs, but noticed it's still sitting in my outbox, and not sent. How long to PM's take to to through?

It will stay in your outbox until he reads it. Kind of like a read receipt ;)

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:21 pm

klewlis wrote:
Tri_K wrote:If you seriously want a cheapo bike, I think I have one in my basement! It's yours for free. It will need a good tune up and possibly new tires but please feel free to relieve me from having it take up space in my house.

would it fit me?? I guess you and I are about the same height. I'm willing to give it a shot. :)

To be honest, I have never ridden it. My brother gave it to us and we never used it. I'll check tonight and let you know.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:24 pm

BJH wrote:Does Edmonton have a bike map (Mississauga does so why not Edmonton)?

Of course they do.

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:26 pm

eme wrote:
Lazagna wrote:So, I sent a PM to Mike Runs, but noticed it's still sitting in my outbox, and not sent. How long to PM's take to to through?

It will stay in your outbox until he reads it. Kind of like a read receipt ;)

Cool.
Upcoming Races:

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:29 pm

La wrote:
Mike Runs wrote:In any event, I'd be focused less on the law and more on learning to ride safe. Take a CanBike course. The law is only one little bit of safe riding.

Generally speaking, following the rules will keep you pretty safe, but most motorists don't know the rules as they pertain to bikes (heck, many of them don't know/follow the rules for cars), so learning some safe riding techniques is helpful.

Be predictable. Signal your intentions. Once you decide what you're going to do (and signal it), don't hesitate - go!

Riding in the same direction of traffic is safer than riding against it, especially if you're in a bike lane or dedicated path. For example, here in TO we have a bike path along Lakeshore that is separated from the road by a 12-foot wide patch of grass. If I am riding on it in the opposite direction to the traffic, cars crossing the path aren't looking in my direction, they're looking to their left to merge with the traffic. If given a choice, I'll take the path on the other side (but sometimes a path doesn't give you that choice, so you have to be aware).

My point is, the rules are only part of it. You have to learn how to avoid door prizes, how to predict what drivers are going to do, how to avoid collisions, etc. Just like a car - you can read the law but it doesn't actually tell you how to drive.

Return to “The Dark Side”