Looking to start - bike and workout suggestions

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Looking to start - bike and workout suggestions

Postby DonnaRigs » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:24 am

I am looking to start training for a Tri, to get in shape but also for enjoyment.
I am looking for inexpensive bike suggestions - as much as I would love to have 1500 to drop on a Cannondale, it's just not in the cards.

Can anyone recommend some inexpensive ideas on what I may actually need to start?

ALSO -

I need some beginner workouts, especially for swimming.
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Re: Looking to start - bike and workout suggestions

Postby Sir Crashalot » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:34 am

Speaking strictly about the bike, for a beginner, bring what you got & go for it.
I would say to avoid the Walmart & Cdn Tire stuff & go to a bike shop & get a nice little hybrid. They will also make sure that the bike fits you too.
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:35 am

Check out the website www.beginnertriathlete.com for some useful articles and message boards, as well as beginner training plans that will really help you to structure your tri training. Some you need to pay for, but there are lots of good free plans as well.

Not sure what level you're at for swimming, but if you click on my training log (in my signature), I record all of my swim workouts. They are generally about 2000 - 2200 m / hour, but you could scale them and only do part. Let me know if you need help understanding any of the terms!

As for a bike - it really depends on what you are hoping to do with your bike (race? commute? ride on the bike paths with your family? some combination of these things?) as to what kind of bike will suit you well. Your budget is the other factor. Lots of people start tris with a road bike - the used options is also out there as well.

Hope this helps!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:39 am

This helps alot!

I am looking used and also on sale - my budget is small, at least until I decide if I actually enjoy this sport, then we'll see (haha sky's the limit then).

Right now I have a mtn bike for tooling around with my daughter - I was looking for something sleeker - I guess a road bike?

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:46 am

DonnaRigs wrote:This helps alot!

I am looking used and also on sale - my budget is small, at least until I decide if I actually enjoy this sport, then we'll see (haha sky's the limit then).

Right now I have a mtn bike for tooling around with my daughter - I was looking for something sleeker - I guess a road bike?

Where abouts do you live, region-wise ?

A Hybrid would do you good .... as well, before Cr@sh says it ... a Cross Bike (CX) will give the best of all worlds ... off road, on road, trails, hills touring, etc ... :wink: :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:48 am

a good entry level road bike that a lot of folks here have is the Giant OCR3. it runs about $800 but can be found on sale. i have the FCR3 version which has the flat handlebars because i do a lot of riding with my kids.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:58 am

I live in Winnipeg - does that help?

I have been looking in the classifieds and have noticed a HUGE range in prices.

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:12 am

DonnaRigs wrote:This helps alot!

I would just assume you'll love it! Twice now I have bought a "starter" bike and both times I have ended up upgrading a year later. You're best off to just go for it, resale on a barely used bike is still pretty good so if you really hate it, then just sell the bike.

tgilpin
Bruce Kidd

Postby tgilpin » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:28 am

I bought an entry level bike last summer 'used' off of craigslist.org Also check kijiji.ca
2014 Races
Chilly Half Marathon Mar.2 - made it to the finish line
Mississauga Half Marathon - May 4
Philladelphia Full Marathon - Nov.23

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:35 am

For a beginner, 2 workouts per week per sport is fine. More if you feel up to it, but don't go crazy :)

Find a swim coach or swim group! My swimming stunk for 2 years, then I found a great swim coach. My swims are in the morning before work, and to compare...It used to take me 20+ minutes to do 750m, and now that is approx my 1000m time :) I am WAY more relaxed in the water and efficient thanks to the swim coach! (If you were in Edmonton, I would tell you where to join us!)

Bike: I bought a used road bike to see if I liked the sport. I paid $400. I put some work into it, and when I upgraded to my tri bike this year, I sold my road bike through word of mouth to a girl looking to see if she liked the sport for $400. I put into it a new cassette, chain, tune up and a bike computer (probably about $200). I sold it as it was way too big for me (but I didn't know that when I bought it). If you have a mountain bike, you can put slicks on for racing to see if you like the sport.

I don't think I have talked to anyone yet who tried tri just to see if they liked it who hasn't gotten completely hooked! :D

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:49 am

What are "slicks"?

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:51 am

DonnaRigs wrote:What are "slicks"?

Tires that are smooth, not knobby like the ones that come standard on mtn bikes. The knobs on the tires create a ton of resistance when you're riding on pavement.

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:55 am

Donna, what price are you looking to spend on the bike? I've noticed a couple places are having sales on even last years stock. I got my OCR3 at Bikes & Beyond on Henderson for $699 in the spring. I think Olympia on St. Mary's is still selling last year stock. Also check out Kijji. A friend was looking at some bikes on there this week and there were a "few" deals that could be possibilities.

Slicks are the smooth tires you find on road bikes, as opposed to the knobbies on a mountain bike. As the name suggests, they are much smoother and more conducive to road riding - meaning you can go faster :D than you would with knobbies on the road.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

hyajil
Bill Crothers

Postby hyajil » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:18 pm

I'm probably going to be selling my Trek hybrid soon - how tall are you?

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:38 pm

5'9".

hyajil
Bill Crothers

Postby hyajil » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:51 pm

DonnaRigs wrote:5'9".

This baby might just fit you. I'll PM you contact deets and maybe we can work out a time for test ride if you interested.

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:40 pm

Cool - I'll call!

tri princess
Bruce Kidd

Postby tri princess » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:37 pm

seuss wrote:a good entry level road bike that a lot of folks here have is the Giant OCR3. it runs about $800 but can be found on sale. i have the FCR3 version which has the flat handlebars because i do a lot of riding with my kids.

I did my first tri on a old rickety mountain bike. Lots of people do that and it's totally fine. Then I bought an OCR 3 and I love it. "Just" an entry level bike but it's seen me through a few sprints, super sprints (which out here are longer than sprints) and several bike tours. It has performed perfectly and I think it will suit me for a while, at least until I get a few 1/2 irons under my belt and can justify a more expensive bike.
Dissatisfaction is a great starting point, for it is right there that we have the most power, strength, and energy to push change through. ~ David DeNotaris

tri princess
Bruce Kidd

Postby tri princess » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:46 pm

Also, for swim workouts, if you are training on your own for now, you could look at a book called "The Woman Triathlete" edited by Christina Gandolfo. It has detailed workouts for various levels and all distances of triathlon, plus a lot of other helpful information about the sport.
Dissatisfaction is a great starting point, for it is right there that we have the most power, strength, and energy to push change through. ~ David DeNotaris

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:48 pm

Tri Princess wrote:
seuss wrote:a good entry level road bike that a lot of folks here have is the Giant OCR3. it runs about $800 but can be found on sale. i have the FCR3 version which has the flat handlebars because i do a lot of riding with my kids.

I did my first tri on a old rickety mountain bike. Lots of people do that and it's totally fine. Then I bought an OCR 3 and I love it. "Just" an entry level bike but it's seen me through a few sprints, super sprints (which out here are longer than sprints) and several bike tours. It has performed perfectly and I think it will suit me for a while, at least until I get a few 1/2 irons under my belt and can justify a more expensive bike.

I used my entry level for one half iron and then decided that for me, the distance demands a better bike. That's when I upgraded.

tri princess
Bruce Kidd

Postby tri princess » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:52 pm

Tri_K wrote:
Tri Princess wrote:

I used my entry level for one half iron and then decided that for me, the distance demands a better bike. That's when I upgraded.

I can totally see that happening.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:58 pm

Tri Princess wrote:

My OCR3 has done me VERY WELL for the last 3 years of Tris, road rides and aome 2 day tour rides. Even though I now have a tri/TT set up - I fully intend to keep my OCR for spring and fall riding. It's a great little bike for your money, and you really won't feel compelled to buy up for at least a few years. 8)
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Return to “The Dark Side”