swim lessons

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

swim lessons

Postby abhainn » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:42 pm

Okay, I'm not moving into the dark side all the way, I'm just interested in swimming.

I'm a little too chicken to go the pool by myself - at least the first couple of times (any Winnipeggers who want to hold my hand on a Sunday morning at Cindy Klassen for a couple of weeks let me know :wink:) so I was thinking that lessons might be a good way to get started.

While I did take lessons when I was a kid, and got a few badges, I stopped well before age 10 so I'm definitely not what you would call a good swimmer (just enough to not drown) and would benefit from any instruction, no matter how basic. But my question is, what level should I sign up for (if I actually grow the kahonas to actually sign up - I'm a bit of a chicken sh!t when it comes to stuff like this), since I have not swum (swam? swum? - whatever) in so very long (we're talking over 20 years)?

(as per the descriptions):
Level 1 - It is never to late to start! This program is designed for non-swimmers. Enjoy the benefits of learning to swim and experience an opportunity to stay active. This program is based on personal interests and goal setting.

Level 2 - This program is designed to provide an opportunity to refine and further develop swimming techniques. Level 2 is based on personal interests and goal setting.

Probably Level 1 hey? I just don't want to go in and make those who really can't swim feel bad because I can, even the little bit that I do. I also don't want to turn into the resident teachers assistant if I know more or can do more than other students in the group, which has happened in other things I have done.

Thoughts?
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Some "learn to swim" programs focus on "not drowning" more than actual swimming, so find out what the focus will be of the program you're thinking about.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:09 pm

i went through the same dilemma when i was signing up for lessons this spring. i found it helpful to go to the pool -- just once, with a friend (like you, i was too chicken to go alone!) to get a sense of where i was. i had taken lessons as a kid, but had no clue where things stood at this point. it took me about 10 minutes to realize that i belonged in the 'lower level'.

i understand what you mean about not wanting to make the non-swimmers look/feel worse. what i found (mind you, there were only two of us in the adult class) was that we had very different strengths and weaknesses. there were times when i felt that if i were on my own, i could be making faster progress (because i was a stronger (non-)swimmer than the other person), but such is the downside of group lessons, i think.

also, you could try calling the place for a better description of their expecations for the two groups and the types of people that usually sign up. or switch after the first class if you think it's too easy? (as a warning, though, the first 'put your face in the water and blow' class WILL seem too easy... it gets harder)

i think that signing up for lessons is a great way to get into the habit! (i stopped after the spring session, but am going back in the fall...)

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:21 pm

As long as it's pretty early (say 7:30 - 8:00 ish)

I'll meet you at Cindy Klassen on Sunday - PM me if you are interested. I am very interested in improving my swimming.

:)
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:43 pm

Donna you rock. PM sent.

Now I have to get goggles :)

:clap: Shopping!! Any suggestions for goggles?
Andrea Michelle

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:05 pm

abhainn wrote:Donna you rock. PM sent.

When I get back from out of town (two weeks), I'll go with you!

For goggles, you can try Swimming Matters or the RR carries a bunch.

Don't be afraid to try them out in the store - you have to make sure that they fit/seal properly.

hyajil
Bill Crothers

Postby hyajil » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:09 pm

I'd go with you too!! I used to swim a lot but have been out of the pool for too long.

Let me know what level you decide on.

edit: There's level 3 too, I might sign up for that at Bonivital. :)

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:23 pm

I'm gonna hit Swimming Matters today after work. Unfortunately this is probably the only day I'll be able to do shopping for the rest of the week, so I gotta find something today.

Jill, I will definitely keep ya in the loop for the lessons. You could also come on Sunday morning with us :wink: The more the merrier (but everyone has to ignore my humongous thighs).

Yay Colleen, look forward to meeting up with you for a swim.

This may be fun after all. I'm still scared though.
Andrea Michelle

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:08 pm

Take out of package, hold to your face. If they fit properly, they should stick for a moment.

You'll need a swim cap, too.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:17 pm

BJH wrote:

Is that really all that necessary? If my hair is gonna get wet anyway? And when it's in a bun hairs don't usually fall out much or at all.
Andrea Michelle

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:23 pm

abhainn wrote:
BJH wrote:

Is that really all that necessary? If my hair is gonna get wet anyway? And when it's in a bun hairs don't usually fall out much or at all.

It's up to you. I find stray hairs bug me a lot and the cap just keeps everything out of the way.

Yes, your hair will get wet anyway.

PM me your address and I'll mail you one of the free ones that are given out at races. The silicone ones are better - cost is $10.

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:28 pm

I don't mind paying for one, but I already feel like such a poser on the bike :roll:

Now if there was just a head band that would work well. Can you cut the top off a cap and use that or will it look really weird?

eta: use the bottom part as a band, not the top beanie part - that would be :?
Andrea Michelle

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:17 pm

For what it's worth, here's my experience:

A friend of mine gave me some basic swimming lessons in the Fall. I learned the basics of freestyle and got used to being in the water (read: I lost my fear of water).

In the winter, I signed up for level 1 and the instructor said I should be level 2 because I wasn't afraid of the water and because I could already swim 1/2 lenght of the pool freestyle. She sort of gave me private lessons: she would give instructions to the other people in the group, and then come to me for a few minutes, show me something and make me practice while she went to see the rest of the group. It worked fine for me and it felt so good to be the best student in the class! :wink: 8)

This being said, the instructor went out of her way to help me and she didn't have to do that. There's no guarantee your instructor would be the same!

Is there anyone you can call to ask? Do they provide you with a few weeks to drop off and be reimbursed? If that's the case, you could sign up for level 2 and see what the instructor thinks. You can always switch to level 1 if you're not ready for level 2.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:30 pm

most swimming pools will do a free "assessment" during public swim - since it's usually the lifeguards that also do the instructional sessions....so, if you went to the pool during public swim - you could make sure you got in the right level.

as for a bathing cap - if you need goggles - you might need a bathing cap! (i.e. why would you need goggles if you don't think your head is going to get wet?!)

IRC, you have a lot of hair - for the level that I think you are at - putting it in a ponytail/bun WOULD be okay for your entry level lessons.......
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:50 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm going to see on Sunday if they can do an assessment at that time. After thinking about it I may be able to go into level 2. I can tread water and swim a couple laps freestyle at least - it's not pretty but I can do it (I can even do the occasional flip turn). But I'll try to get the assessment before registering.

Went to the swim shop and had a fairly successful shopping trip. Found goggles right off - the first pair I tried have really good suction, just have to remember to move my eyebrow ring out of the way :roll:. IG I definitely need the goggles because I wear contacts - blind as a bat without 'em :)

Got flip flops, a sammy towel and a new suit. Of course now that it's home I'm not loving it so much even though it is a bit better than the one I bought last year. There still isn't any real support for the girls and I have no idea how to overcome that. None of the 1-pieces I've seen are made for women with large chests. They did have some try tops, so that could be an option right? And wear it with a sports bra? Do they make them without the pockets in the back? I didn't look very long. Would it be weird to swim laps in a tri-top and shorts or tankini bottom? Anyway, I figure that at my size finding a suit that fits at all, no matter how oogie is a step in the right direction :roll: It's just hard to deal with.
Andrea Michelle

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:53 pm

you don't really need much support for the girls (says me, who doesn't really have any girls normally) ;)

if you can swim a lap - I would say level 2 - just based on the descriptions....
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:57 pm

abhainn wrote:Got flip flops, a sammy towel and a new suit. Of course now that it's home I'm not loving it so much even though it is a bit better than the one I bought last year. There still isn't any real support for the girls and I have no idea how to overcome that. None of the 1-pieces I've seen are made for women with large chests. They did have some try tops, so that could be an option right? And wear it with a sports bra? Do they make them without the pockets in the back? I didn't look very long. Would it be weird to swim laps in a tri-top and shorts or tankini bottom? Anyway, I figure that at my size finding a suit that fits at all, no matter how oogie is a step in the right direction :roll: It's just hard to deal with.

I'm not small up top and I wear a regular speedo suit. You probably want to buy it a bit tighter than a suit that you would buy for wearing to the beach. They are supposed to be quite snug. That adds some support. I wouldn't run in one without a sports bra, but for regular swimming it is fine.

candlerun
Bruce Kidd

Postby candlerun » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:00 pm

If I lived there... I would have joined you. :(

I was looking in to those lessons here and was a bit confused on which one to go in to. This thread cleared this up for me.
Hypohalf - Check
Sask Half Marathon - PB 2:23:09
Bridge City Boogie 5k - 33:19 and a broken leg...
Mogathon 5k (in wheelchair) - Had a Blast!
Queen City Half Marathon
Nike Womens Half Marathon - in memory of my Grandma, MIL Natalie, my cousin Gary, many others, and most recently my Uncle Allan and my Great Uncle Paul.
Wishes
Edmonton Derby Half - not going to happen due to break
To sign up for a few smaller ones along the way - maybe some late fall small ones

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start. ~John Bingham

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:03 pm

BJH wrote:
abhainn wrote:Got flip flops, a sammy towel and a new suit. Of course now that it's home I'm not loving it so much even though it is a bit better than the one I bought last year. There still isn't any real support for the girls and I have no idea how to overcome that. None of the 1-pieces I've seen are made for women with large chests. They did have some try tops, so that could be an option right? And wear it with a sports bra? Do they make them without the pockets in the back? I didn't look very long. Would it be weird to swim laps in a tri-top and shorts or tankini bottom? Anyway, I figure that at my size finding a suit that fits at all, no matter how oogie is a step in the right direction :roll: It's just hard to deal with.

I'm not small up top and I wear a regular speedo suit. You probably want to buy it a bit tighter than a suit that you would buy for wearing to the beach. They are supposed to be quite snug. That adds some support. I wouldn't run in one without a sports bra, but for regular swimming it is fine.

Aw, see now that makes me think/wish I had tried on the one size smaller (it's a speedo). This one fits just about perfect (except for the boob issue). The girl at the store didn't mention that I should try on a smaller size. Oh well, It's good for now. If I find problems or this swim thing takes hold I'll go try on another one.

This is all good information to know though.
Andrea Michelle

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:07 pm

abhainn wrote:
BJH wrote:

Aw, see now that makes me think/wish I had tried on the one size smaller (it's a speedo). This one fits just about perfect (except for the boob issue). The girl at the store didn't mention that I should try on a smaller size. Oh well, It's good for now. If I find problems or this swim thing takes hold I'll go try on another one.

This is all good information to know though.

The fabric makes a difference, as well. For support, you want to buy the less stretchy (and cheaper) nylon suits instead of the lycra suits. They last longer, too. ;)

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:24 pm

I have ample girls and I tend to go for polyester suits (they stand up better to being in the pool a lot) and I have bought both Speedo and TYR (at Swimwear Etc in Polo Park) - they have a built in type bra to give the girls some support.

Here is one (not the same on that I have - can't find mine on-line)

TYR suit

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:19 pm

I don't have the tag in my TYR that I bought last year, so I don't know what it's made of, but I've decided it's too big anyway. I did try on the smaller size at the time but it was too small. Just couldn't win.

The Speedo I bought today is Polyester with the built-in cups whatever - the girls do not fit in them so virtually no support. Instead of laser eye surgery I'm gonna start saving up for a boob reduction.
Andrea Michelle

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:36 am

abhainn wrote:I don't have the tag in my TYR that I bought last year, so I don't know what it's made of, but I've decided it's too big anyway. I did try on the smaller size at the time but it was too small. Just couldn't win.

The Speedo I bought today is Polyester with the built-in cups whatever - the girls do not fit in them so virtually no support. Instead of laser eye surgery I'm gonna start saving up for a boob reduction.

Uhm, if you are having medical issues due to the girls (chronic back pain, etc) MB Health might pay for it...

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:34 am

eme wrote:
abhainn wrote:I don't have the tag in my TYR that I bought last year, so I don't know what it's made of, but I've decided it's too big anyway. I did try on the smaller size at the time but it was too small. Just couldn't win.

Uhm, if you are having medical issues due to the girls (chronic back pain, etc) MB Health might pay for it...

Not likely to qualify. I have no medical issues or pain, other than to my wallet :roll:.
Andrea Michelle

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:48 pm

Went for my first lap swim yesterday with DonnaRigs. Thanks again Donna, especially considering how much out of your way it is. But greatly appreciated.

7:30am and the pool was basically empty. Only 2 others a couple of lanes over doing laps. 10 laps - 250 meters completed.

Swimming is hard dudes :oops:. Made me feel like I was just learning to run again, maybe worse. I was totally out of breath and my heart rate went right up there.

I have discovered that in my old age I can no longer swim with my head in the water and not suck in air :roll:, and no flip turns for me anymore :(

Lessons will be good.

On the swim suit front, the one I bought last week... too big. The girls were NOT held in, and I think having cleavage in a swim suit is not such a good thing. Got a new one yesterday with a much higher neckline and have the same one being sent in from BC one size smaller - just to try it. The store has a 14 day return policy so long as it still has tags and hasn't been worn. Hopefully it will get here before Sunday.

All in all I was happy with my first swim. There are definitely things I need to work on (not breathing in water being a major one) and probably need to find a good allergy med since my sinuses have been on over drive ever since from the chlorine. But I'm looking forward to doing it again.

Swim advice is appreciated.
Andrea Michelle

Return to “The Dark Side”