maxHR on bike

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

jamix
Bill Crothers

maxHR on bike

Postby jamix » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:06 am

So last night I decided to do some HIIT on the bike by doing 1 mile easy, 1 mile hard. Anyways I got up to about 7.5 miles before I tired out. Throughout the exercise I monitored my heart rate.

I noticed two things:

1) It took a considerably long time to get my heart rate up even though I was pushing myself moderately hard.

2) By the time my heart rate got up to 197 (which is below my maxHR), I could give no more and had to cease the exercise.

Does anyone else experience the above? When I'm running on the treadmill, I can get my heart rate over 200 and can do so fairly quickly if wanted. My maxHR is probably close to 210.
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Re: maxHR on bike

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:30 am

The cyclocross season is over... if you want to hit maxHR in a hurry :lol: :lol: :lol: I put on the HRM for 1 race & it was pinned at or near max HR.
Give me 1/2lap & I'm at full tilt, heart is pounding, lactic acid burning the legs & lungs starving for oxygen, if I could suck air through my ears, I would do so!. It's a real hoot! Check it out, if there is a race near you :D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:07 am

As a general rule, all of your HR zones will be about 10bpm lower on the bike than running, including your max. FWIW, my max measured HR running is 174bpm and my max measured HR riding is 164bpm (this while being chased by a fast dog at the end of a long ride - that sumbitch stayed with me all the way up to ~50k/hr!). Note that I have a very low HR across all ranges.

In the workout you described, your ratio of recovery to interval was too generous towards recovery and not long enough on the interval for your HR to really spike. Do your intervals by time, not distance. Do all out efforts at 5 x 5-6min ea., you'll soon see your HR get up there. :wink:

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:16 pm

10 bpm less sounds right. I don't know if it makes a difference but I've noticed I'm much slower than everyone else. My fastest mile interval was approx 32 km / hour pace, crappy crappy :evil: .
2013 GOALS:

- Stay healthy and happy

Races

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:57 pm

You can't accurately gauge speed/distance on a trainer, especially comparing yourself to someone else riding a different bike on a different trainer. Or comparing your numbers to what you'd see outside. You can compare your results from ride to ride as long as the bike trainer is set up the same way each time.

Personally, I find that my PE for the same HR on the trainer and outside is much higher. Meaning, I have to work harder to get to a HR of 135 on the trainer than I do outside. Or at least I perceive that I am working harder. And I'm not even talking about speed here - just PE and HR.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:48 pm

Cycling uses much less of your body mass to actually perform the task so it is unrealistic to expect the heart rate demand to be as high.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:13 am

La wrote:You can't accurately gauge speed/distance on a trainer, especially comparing yourself to someone else riding a different bike on a different trainer. Or comparing your numbers to what you'd see outside. You can compare your results from ride to ride as long as the bike trainer is set up the same way each time.

Personally, I find that my PE for the same HR on the trainer and outside is much higher. Meaning, I have to work harder to get to a HR of 135 on the trainer than I do outside. Or at least I perceive that I am working harder. And I'm not even talking about speed here - just PE and HR.

Thats good to know. I've noticed that the machine I was on didn't ask what my weight was, thus is unable to calculate POWER.
2013 GOALS:

- Stay healthy and happy

Races

Return to “The Dark Side”