Wetsuits for women who are not small lol...any suggestions?

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

deb
Bill Crothers

Wetsuits for women who are not small lol...any suggestions?

Postby deb » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:47 pm

So for the second year in a row I'm planning on doing the swim leg of a triathlon as part of a team. Last year I went without a wetsuit (one of maybe 3 people without one). This year I'd like to get one, my problem is....no one sells them in my home town, and the sizing charts online don't accommodate me. I'm six feet tall about a size 14. Seems women my size dont buy wetsuits lol. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion on where to look or any other solutions to my problem (besides losing a ton of weight.....I'm trying I'm trying! ).

The swim is open water, 1.5 k last year was fairly warm but that was mostly a fluke and i expect it to be colder this year.... Besides i wanna look cool like everyone else hehe.
somedays, even my lucky rocketship undies don't help

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Re: Wetsuits for women who are not small lol...any suggestio

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:07 pm

have you checked out mens/unisex wetsuit? I'm pretty much the opposite of you (5'2" and petite) but I do fine in a unisex suit. I think some of the gender-specificness is overrated. It's probably only in the last 5 years that women's specific suits have really hit the market.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:14 pm

I have a few friends requiring non traditional sizing. They all seem to have 19brand.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:19 pm

Annelizabeth wrote:I have a few friends requiring non traditional sizing. They all seem to have 19brand.

I wear a 19 brand as well (Riptide sleeveless and Pipeline full sleeve)... I am not tall by far, but am what most would call curvy..

I would send a PM off to BJH.. she is 6 ft tall, and would most likely have a wetsuit as well, and could maybe give another recommendation.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

deb
Bill Crothers

Postby deb » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone! I really appreciate it

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:08 pm

hi deb!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

deb
Bill Crothers

Postby deb » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Hiya!

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:51 pm

Hi Deb,

I'm curvy too..

I agree with the Nineteen comments and my friend has an Xterra one that she loves. They guarantee sizing apparently.

I have a Desoto two piece. They are a little pricy, but I was able to get a larger bottom and a smaller top. My complaint about women's wetsuits is that they are too short in the body for me, and if you are tall, you might find that they are just too short period.

Hope you find what you need!

Jenn
Starbucks Coffee Cup Wisdom
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

deb
Bill Crothers

Postby deb » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:48 pm

I hope I find what I need/want too, one thing I've learned for sure though is that the worst possible thing for my self esteem is shopping online for a wetsuit lol!

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:02 pm

Where in Sask are you? I just moved back to Ottawa from Regina. Maniacs are few and far between in Sask!

Jenn
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

deb
Bill Crothers

Postby deb » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:24 pm

Yeah for the longest time I was the only maniac in sask. I know that's changed though. I live about an hour north of Saskatoon, in prince Albert. There's a large running/tri community here but no tri shops per say. Saskatoon is probably the closest. Might have to make a trip there for some shopping ;)

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:51 am

I have a men's Orca. I am chesty, and since the suit designers expect men to have wide shoulders, it works for me. I also have a long torso, and it accomodates that.

I think my suit is a size 6. I'm 5'7" and about a size 12ish. My suit fits when I am a size 10.

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:19 pm

deb wrote:Yeah for the longest time I was the only maniac in sask. I know that's changed though. I live about an hour north of Saskatoon, in prince Albert. There's a large running/tri community here but no tri shops per say. Saskatoon is probably the closest. Might have to make a trip there for some shopping ;)

Western Cycle in Regina is starting to get some good stuff. They may be worth looking into... I think they are trying really hard to attract the tri community and fill that void. Dutch Cycle has really nice bikes, but I don't know much about what they carry for wetsuits.

Apparently the 'Peg has some shops too..

I'm surprised that there are so few Maniacs in Sask given the number of runners and stuff!! No representation!

Jenn

Return to “The Dark Side”