How to be the best support person

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

gnu
Jerome Drayton

How to be the best support person

Postby gnu » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:01 am

Hello Dark-Siders!

I am looking for advice. My friend is doing her first 70.3 at Muskoka this September, and I am going along as her cheering section/moral support/etc. person. I know everyone is different and needs different things to get their game-face on, but I don't have much experience with triathlons and don't know what's helpful - and since it's her first longer tri, she might not know either.

So I am wondering:

- when you did your first longer triathlon (and had to stay away from home), what did you find yourself wishing you had that you never thought to bring - not necessarily for the race (but if there is something non-athlete-related, ie not gels or equipment or anything like that), but maybe the day before, or the evening in your hotel room, etc? The kinds of things that if the people around you suddenly pulled one out of their bag, you'd be overjoyed?
- is there anything your support people did for you that stood out as particularly helpful?
- Anything else I should know/prepare/do?

Any tidbits, stories or pieces of advice are welcome! Thanks in advance!

eme
Lynn Williams

Re: How to be the best support person

Postby eme » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:58 am

I did my first Half Iron down in the States. When I finished, my son had an ice cold Cherry Coke waiting for me - awesome.

Maybe have your friend's favourite treat at the finish line? For me the drink was perfect, since I really didn't feel like eating at the time :lol:

Oh, and be prepared for your friend to be neurotic and cranky in the day or two leading up to the race, not that I was like that or anything :shifty:

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:09 pm

i brought vodka.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:20 pm

That's awesome! My DH came with my as crew for my first 70.3 at Muskoka as well, and he was really helpful with things like the logistics - helping me figure out how to get me and my bike to the race site and picked up, for example, since we were staying off site. If I remember correctly, he dropped me off and then went and parked, so I wasn't stressing about having to shuttle from the parking.

He also drove around and saw me out on the course a few times which was awesome!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:35 pm

I agree with Eme, my hubby brought me an ice cold Deit Pepsi for after my race. I brought chocolate for my BF for after her race.
IMC 2015

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:49 pm

The best support person I've been supported by had a hot cup of coffee waiting for me at the finish line. And cold beer later.

Sometimes I like to just go straight to the cold beer, too.

Maybe a card game or scrabble as a distraction beforehand?
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:07 pm

Bath salts - Epsom salts and some nice scents - and a pair of nice fluffy slippers for her feet afterwards. Then leave the room for a good hour, so she can get some R & R...
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:54 pm

You could also ask her what she wants/needs. Everyone is so particular and what might be appreciated by one person may not be welcomed by another.

Have lots of options on hand, both at the finish line (sandals, beverages, face cloth/towel) and in the hotel after. After Ironman, I couldn't WAIT to get back to the house to crack open the cold can of Kilkenny I knew was waiting there for me... 8)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:52 am

First big event race, first longer distance - she's going to be scared, nervous, excited, perhaps even overwhelmed at times; just being there with her is plenty. All the rest is just gravy. Whatever her result, enjoy sharing it with her - that's all she'll really want anyway.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:09 am

I find triathlon is busy. Tell her where to look for you on the course. Decide this upfront, before the event. It's a huge boost to know someone is waiting for you. Be prepared and offer to schlep all the gear post race. There is a wet wetsuit, shoes, bike, food, clothes and bags! And finally, don't expect to take photos, it's pretty hard to do. Concentrate on enjoying the race!
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:29 am

Great advice everyone, thank you!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:52 am

Ibuprofen!

My first half IM ended up being cold and rainy. My mom had a fuzzy blanket waiting for me at the finish line. Best mom ever.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:09 am

This all makes me sad I did my (first) 70.3 solo 1500KM away from home...

I would also suggest to make sure her cell phone is charged and ready so she can contact friends/family when she is done (or you can contact them). My cell died (I forgot to power down when it was sitting in my transition bag all day long). I got a couple of messages out before my phone kaked on me, and one of those missed messages was to my family.

When I got back to the hotel 3 hours later and called my mom, I got a "congratulations, you did it" followed by a 10 minute lecture about not calling earlier and having her panicking for 3 hours thinking I had drowned or been hit by a transport truck on the highway. :YMSIGH:

A couple of cold bevvie options, a treat (candy, chocolate, whatever her fave is), comfy shoes/sandals, dry comfy clothes, jacket (in case the weather goes south) a BIG HUG and a shoulder to lean on if the legs cramp up...
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Return to “The Dark Side”