HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Lance steps down from Livestrong, dropped by Nike

Postby HCcD » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:08 pm

Tori wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:
eme wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:I run on a Livestrong TM. I'm not taking it back. I don't care who's name or what name is on it. It was the right price at the right time.
Where'd you get yours? I'm in the market for a new dreadmill.

Canadian Tire has them on sale for 60% off right now (at least in Winnipeg they do).
Looked them up - they've been on "sale" for those prices since at least February (one review mentions the identical prices). So no special anti-Lance discount just yet.

Will let people know if the prices drop. DH sells through his company. They will continue to sell livestrong as long as Nike supports at this time. That was the message as of yesterday. If Nike pulls support they will pull immediately.

Hey Tori, check out your DH Company's website ... they appear to be now supporting the Pink Ribbon Movement a lot more ...

eta: Been noticing some lightly used Livestrong TMs on local classifieds for pretty cheap prices, as compared to the msrp listing .... :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:14 pm

HCcD wrote:
Tori wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:
eme wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:I run on a Livestrong TM. I'm not taking it back. I don't care who's name or what name is on it. It was the right price at the right time.

Canadian Tire has them on sale for 60% off right now (at least in Winnipeg they do).
Looked them up - they've been on "sale" for those prices since at least February (one review mentions the identical prices). So no special anti-Lance discount just yet.

Will let people know if the prices drop. DH sells through his company. They will continue to sell livestrong as long as Nike supports at this time. That was the message as of yesterday. If Nike pulls support they will pull immediately.

Hey Tori, check out your DH Company's website ... they appear to be now supporting the Pink Ribbon Movement a lot more ...

eta: Been noticing some lightly used Livestrong TMs on local classifieds for pretty cheap prices, as compared to the msrp listing .... :shifty: :wink:

I was hoping they were going to slash the costs and I could stock up on some nice equipment for the basement. :lol: Yes lots of pink ribbon stuff, he was sending me pics of some super sweet pink asics this week.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Tori wrote:
HCcD wrote:
Tori wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:
eme wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:

I was hoping they were going to slash the costs and I could stock up on some nice equipment for the basement. :lol: Yes lots of pink ribbon stuff, he was sending me pics of some super sweet pink asics this week.

The Kanata location had some really great clearout prices on the Livestrong TM and Spin Bike floor models, last time I was there ... wonder if they are still there ?? :think: :think: :think: :shifty:

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Lance steps down from Livestrong, dropped by Nike

Postby VeloCarrie » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:22 pm

Why don't you ask people who have had cancer?

Livestrong helped me two years ago when I was diagnosed with a rare cancer. Other typical websites gave me a one or two page summary. Livestrong gave me the most information, plus I got to talk to someone (with a similar form of cancer) through e-mail for a couple of weeks regarding treatment options and how they would affect how I wanted to live my life. I didn't contact them because of Lance, but they were there when I needed them in the way I needed at that time. Sometimes "awareness" is what a cancer patient needs, especially one that doesn't have the more "common" cancers.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Trail Child wrote:Why don't you ask people who have had cancer?

A few of us did in the other thread (including myself who spoke on behalf of my father who got great support from Livestrong as well before he died) and the response was exactly what you'd expect.

Don't get me wrong - I have a ton of respect for what they do. But I think they're finished.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Lance steps down from Livestrong, dropped by Nike

Postby VeloCarrie » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:43 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

A few of us did in the other thread (including myself who spoke on behalf of my father who got great support from Livestrong as well before he died) and the response was exactly what you'd expect.

Don't get me wrong - I have a ton of respect for what they do. But I think they're finished.

Maybe that's the most tragic of all of this.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:53 pm

Trail Child wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

Maybe that's the most tragic of all of this.

Very true. It is too bad that the 'brand' of Livestrong was so tied to Lance Armstrong and will most likely be forever tainted by it.

Most people, think Livestrong=Lance

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:03 pm

Livestrong helped me two years ago when I was diagnosed with a rare cancer. Other typical websites gave me a one or two page summary. Livestrong gave me the most information, plus I got to talk to someone (with a similar form of cancer) through e-mail for a couple of weeks regarding treatment options and how they would affect how I wanted to live my life. I didn't contact them because of Lance, but they were there when I needed them in the way I needed at that time. Sometimes "awareness" is what a cancer patient needs, especially one that doesn't have the more "common" cancers.

Thank for your post as I had been trying to illustrate to the hero worshipers who felt "betrayed" by Lance after it turned out he was human and cloaking their arguments in terms of "integrity" and "honor" and "ethics" when if the truth be known it appears they are merely lashing out because they are emotionally hurt. That even though Lance is may be a scum bag, that he profited from his association with Cancer that the organization has and can continue to do good things. That compared to individuals such as you, if Lance's name can still bring a net positive benefit, who cares other than again people with a visceral emotional reaction to their own personal disappointment instead of looking at the bigger picture.

On a related note, the rough model is 10% of people will never compromise their ethics, 10% will do so at any opportunity with motive and 80% or so use situational ethics. If you have taken one pen from work, you fall into the 80% so self serving and self righteous positions just are not realistic. So one can sit back with smug self satisfaction that typing on their little keyboards some how will protect triathlons or charities can completely disregard the good that has been done and can be done is something I have to comment on. When my dad was going through his battle with cancer, I could not have cared less who was helping with the support and so it is very easy to make anonymous judgements about right or wrong with the world is full of grey.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:21 pm

Dstew wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:
Dstew wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:
Most tend to look down on profiteering from charities, I'm generally still against it. Your mileage may vary.

jono

Did you have that view when you did not think Lance was guilty of doping?

In general yes. I wasn't aware of the Livestrong situation until more recently, I was under the impression it was all nonprofit. I'd bet most people still are unaware.

jono

So it only bothers you when you are aware of a practice - a practice in which a number of smaller charities have to hire professional fund raiser to increase the amount of money that they get. Or is it only bad when a bad person benefits or is it wrong all of the time.

Are you often bothered by things you are not aware of?

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:22 pm

I understand that should Lance be stripped of his titles, none of the top 3 finishers in any of those Tours tested clean.
If pretty well everyone is (seemingly) taking some kind of PED, is it cheating?
What is the definition of a cheater? :think:
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

RobAllen
Tom Longboat

Postby RobAllen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:59 pm

DougG wrote:I understand that should Lance be stripped of his titles, none of the top 3 finishers in any of those Tours tested clean.

Yes, most have been caught at some time. But they were not all caught at the time they got 2nd/3rd so their result stands. Much like Contador tested positive but still retains his results from the TdeF prior to the positive.
Lance is being stripped of his titles for many reasons. 1) The evidence spans all of the tour victories, 2) He is charged with much more than just doping and 3) He chose not to cooperate with the investigation.

DougG wrote:If pretty well everyone is (seemingly) taking some kind of PED, is it cheating?:

Yes. Argue it any way you want but Scott Mercier lost his bright future because he refused to dope. He was cheated by the cheaters.

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:50 pm

DougG wrote:I understand that should Lance be stripped of his titles, none of the top 3 finishers in any of those Tours tested clean.

Cheating is breaking the rules.

Everyone was doing it is a logical fallacy.
It's not what you were doing relative to others, it's what you were doing relative to the rules.

But if it makes you feel better, almost everyone were popped for doping too. The last 20 years of cycling has been a disgrace.
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:54 pm

Definitely cheating.

Any lack of outrage you feel might be because, even though it was cheating, it wasn't terribly unfair to the other doping competitors. Though as was pointed out above, the whole thing was unfair to any rider who wanted to ride clean.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:26 am

Wu wei wrote:

Cheating is breaking the rules.

Everyone was doing it is a logical fallacy.
It's not what you were doing relative to others, it's what you were doing relative to the rules.

But if it makes you feel better, almost everyone were popped for doping too. The last 20 years of cycling has been a disgrace.

It doesn't make me feel any better, I really don't care. From what I read, it does seem the past 20 years have been awful for the sport, although one could argue that with the publicity, the crowds and the money could make one say otherwise. So, you feel that breaking the rules means you are cheating?
Breaking any rules? Or just certain rules?
What if the breaking a certain rule is 'accepted' by the majority of competitors?
injured
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
CANI 10k. June. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:08 am

DougG wrote:It doesn't make me feel any better, I really don't care. From what I read, it does seem the past 20 years have been awful for the sport, although one could argue that with the publicity, the crowds and the money could make one say otherwise. So, you feel that breaking the rules means you are cheating?
Breaking any rules? Or just certain rules?
What if the breaking a certain rule is 'accepted' by the majority of competitors?

I'll just keep copy and pasting this until it sinks in:
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:24 am

Excuse me?

You made your point the first time. Thanks for your input.
I am asking questions and am interested in others' opinions. I trust that sunk in.
injured
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
CANI 10k. June. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:31 am

DougG wrote:
Excuse me?

You made your point the first time.
I am asking questions and am interested in others' opinions. Did that sink in?

Difference between rules and laws .... It's all relative, right ??? :shifty: :wink:

http://www.differencebetween.net/language/difference-between-rules-and-laws/

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:10 am

DougG wrote:
Excuse me?

I am asking questions and am interested in others' opinions. I trust that sunk in.

I pointed out the logical fallacy, then you ask the same question, in a different way. It's still the same fallacy!

So you want rationalize that it's ok to dope, because everyone else was doing it. I'll go there...
Now imagine YOU are a professional cyclist, and you've been caught doing EPO.
You lie and lie and lie when popped, rationalizing that everybody else was doing it... it's unfair that you've been caught. Eventually you are sanctioned as a drug cheat.
Your conscience tells you that speaking the truth might be the best way forward, and so you write a booke outlining your experience in the hope that other cyclists might not rationalize the cheating like you did.
Now tell me... would that make you a "big time weasel", or not?
Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:13 am

DougG wrote:
Excuse me?

I think Mike said it best:

Turd Ferguson wrote:Any lack of outrage you feel might be because, even though it was cheating, it wasn't terribly unfair to the other doping competitors. Though as was pointed out above, the whole thing was unfair to any rider who wanted to ride clean.

You can never say "everyone was doing it" to justify breaking the rules. Because there will always be people who do the right thing, and in the case of cycling, that meant they didn't compete (or did but not at a high level).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:32 am

jonovision_man wrote:
Dstew wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:
Dstew wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:
Most tend to look down on profiteering from charities, I'm generally still against it. Your mileage may vary.

jono

Did you have that view when you did not think Lance was guilty of doping?

In general yes. I wasn't aware of the Livestrong situation until more recently, I was under the impression it was all nonprofit. I'd bet most people still are unaware.

jono

So it only bothers you when you are aware of a practice - a practice in which a number of smaller charities have to hire professional fund raiser to increase the amount of money that they get. Or is it only bad when a bad person benefits or is it wrong all of the time.

Are you often bothered by things you are not aware of?

jono

I just assumed that someone who demands the highest integrity from race organizers, charities, people who give to charities would have taken the time to investigate that organization they support. You have essentially stated, as a self appointed defender of the integrity of the sport that a race director cannot say, "I do not know or care what Lance is alleged to have done, all I know is that he brings more attention to my event", that this will lead to the collapse of civilization but those same standards do not apply to you. Just find it curious is all.

I also noticed you did not address the issue of professional fund raisers as Lance is frankly no different in practice. They raise money for a charity and get a cut, so did Lance. In fact, one can say without Lance there was no charity so why not get a even bigger cut than if the organization had hired a professional fund raiser. So I also assume the powers you have to protect the integrity of sport flow over to charities as well so you get to determine what is an acceptable way to raise money and awareness and what methods are bad regardless of the outcome. And once again, he is a scum bag by all accounts and deserves every sanction known to man kind with regards to his sport but with the charity, he provided a service, hundreds of millions of dollars were raised and so we go after him for something that he actually did to help others and to go after a service that has made a difference in people's lives just so your desire for revenge and a pound of flesh from your fallen hero can be satisfied.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:
eme wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:

Yes, Canadian Tire. They are made by Horizon, with the Livestrong name on it.
Seriously, you all know how much I run on it in the winter months and have had no problems at all.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:54 pm

Dstew wrote:I just assumed that someone who demands the highest integrity from race organizers, charities, people who give to charities would have taken the time to investigate that organization they support. You have essentially stated, as a self appointed defender of the integrity of the sport that a race director cannot say, "I do not know or care what Lance is alleged to have done, all I know is that he brings more attention to my event", that this will lead to the collapse of civilization but those same standards do not apply to you. Just find it curious is all.

You've put a lot of words in my mouth there...

I certainly have never said anything about expecting "race directors" to investigate every nuance of the Lance Armstrong case. They all know that USADA has banned Lance from participation - that's not news to anyone - and if they're not sanctioned and don't respect the ban, then that's their own choice to make. It's hardly the collapse of civilization, although it does show a particular lack of principles I wouldn't find appealing.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:15 pm

I heard this story directly from a participant in this ride many years ago.
Heard a similar story from a participant in the Calgary to Austin Peleton Project.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-860283
Epictetus

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:57 pm

Wu wei wrote:I heard this story directly from a participant in this ride many years ago.
Heard a similar story from a participant in the Calgary to Austin Peleton Project.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-860283

Well, if true, no wonder he could work for free for Livestrong.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:11 pm

If you want all the dirt... hit cyclingnews.com forums, especially "the clinic".

They may sound a touch out there, but they're right more than wrong....

jono
Visit my blog!

Return to “The Dark Side”