Report: Lance considering confession

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:11 am

... "so that he can resume his sporting career in running and triathlon"...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/is-lanc ... confession

I welcome a confession. Not sure I welcome a return to triathlon... every strong performance would be under the same old cloud of suspicion.

Edit: kind of reminds me of this one:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/lance- ... but,17973/
:lol:

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Re: Report: Lance considering confession

Postby DougG » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:33 am

It won't make any difference to me, and won't change my opinion.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:13 am

Me either ... too late to be of much help for the sport. Would finally put an end to the sideshow though.

Except for the UCIs role... that could still get interesting.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Gutsy move if he does it, especially because it practically guarantees he'll be out many millions in lawsuits from various tabloids, former sponsors, and maybe even other riders. I'd be particularly interested if he were to provide some details on how it all went down, perhaps helping to take down some of the corrupt elements higher up in the sport. If the current rules allow for a return to competitive triathlon after some suspension period, I see no reason why that avenue shouldn't also be available to LA.

fstreet
Johnny Miles

Postby fstreet » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:34 pm

I think it is a gutless move.

Get his lawyer to phone in a trial balloon that he "might" confess but he is only doing it so he can resume his athletic career so, you see, Lance didn't really do it, he's just thinking about admitting to it, and if he does admit to it it's only to resume his career because he didn't really do it, he's simply admitting to it so he can move on....

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:33 pm

"I was able to pull off this charade for a long time, but now nobody believes me."
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Cheaters should be banned for life. Don't want him doing anything. Not even if prize money is gone from it, which it wouldn't be. He's never welcome in my books. Stay home Lance. Go live in your own neverland.

I think this bs artist should be taken to the cleaners. Every person who tried to name him and lost and were destroyed deserves restitution. Seriously. We need to go medieval on his ass. Get out the rack.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:31 pm

fingerboy wrote:Cheaters should be banned for life. Don't want him doing anything. Not even if prize money is gone from it, which it wouldn't be. He's never welcome in my books. Stay home Lance. Go live in your own neverland.

I think this bs artist should be taken to the cleaners. Every person who tried to name him and lost and were destroyed deserves restitution. Seriously. We need to go medieval on his ass. Get out the rack.

+1! Unless I can +2 or +10000, then that.

jono
Visit my blog!

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Ha Ha, so my understanding is that the only way he'll get any of his sanctions reduced after confessing is if he rats out other people. Priceless! Of course, then he'd be a self-confessed drug cheat and liar so who would believe any of his claims unless there was actually evidence to support his accusations? I don't think Bruneel has ever failed a drug test has he? Oh, the irony in all of this!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:25 am

Of course he would get sanctions reduced and his ban reduced or lifted. Aren't reduced sentences pretty normal when criminals make deals?
I'm surprised people on here wouldn't want him re-instated. Wouldn't you like to beat him in a race?
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:54 am

Pat Menzies wrote:Of course he would get sanctions reduced and his ban reduced or lifted. Aren't reduced sentences pretty normal when criminals make deals?
I'm surprised people on here wouldn't want him re-instated. Wouldn't you like to beat him in a race?

Sorry, I don't see why anyone who demonstrated such an absolute lack of sportsmanship or even ethical behaviour to protect his cheating and lying should ever be allowed to participate in any organized sporting event. He is the epitome of everything wrong in professional sports. He makes Barry Bonds look like an angel.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:15 pm

What I said on November 15, 2012:

I predict he does admit this but some time in the future. He is a smart man and as saying goes, no one ever lost money under estimating the intelligence of the American public. People have already start to stop venting and ranting against him. So once all the furor has died down, he writes a book and admits to the drugs but how he was a victim of a corrupt system. He is sorry the way he acted but once he saw how much cancer research and awareness was helped by his image, he did everything to protect that image but he now knows that was wrong. He gets paid millions, he is forgiven after his heart felt and well paying book tour with a portion of the proceeds going to cancer research. the fallen hero has been redeemed.

It is the American PR script. Do something bad, admit that you did it, show remorse and be forgiven and move forward. Very little risk as the delay may be in negotiating "plea bargains" with the relevant parties and then there will be the book and appearance deals worth millions at the very least. The redeemed sinner comes full circle with invitations to events that need or feel they need the presence of Lance for their event. Again, all to script. The only good thing as with the Baseball Hall of Fall shows is that the "professional" part of his career is forever dead and the error of his ways will not be erased.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:38 pm

Doesn't always go to script. See: Landis. Cheating is a bit different than personal issues/failings.

jono
Visit my blog!

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Isn't cheating a personal issue and failing?
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:03 pm

I read Hamilton's book "The Secret Race", and I agree LA was/is a jerk(ish) guy.

With that said, I think many (including me) hopes he can do triathlons again. For me, its not about whether he deserves it and I don't think one should think about whether or no LA deserves it. The fact is a lot of people will be interested to watch. Personally I'm interested to see him and to see whether or not he'll be able to come back and perform at the same level??
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:43 am

Pat Menzies wrote:Isn't cheating a personal issue and failing?

Fair enough. I meant cheating is different from personal issues and failings that don't relate to the sport.

jono
Visit my blog!

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:45 pm

We need Lance racing again or we will forget cancer exists!
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Wu wei wrote:We need Lance racing again or we will forget cancer exists!

The cancer ship has sailed. Lance is now a novelty like celebrity boxing or a dunk tank. Pay your money to see if you can beat the once great Lance Armstrong. And hell, if you lose, you got a built in excuse that he was doped up and you were clean. I could care less myself but I suspect that there are more than enough who would enter a race just to compete or even be close to Mr. Armstrong.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:28 pm

Visit my blog!

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 am

At the end of the interview, Oprah will tell Lance to look under his seat and he will find a yellow jersey. Hard hitting and no holds bar and Oprah go together in my mind. What, the two drunk women not available?

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:56 am

Dstew wrote:

At the end of the interview, Oprah will tell Lance to look under his seat and he will find a yellow jersey. Hard hitting and no holds bar and Oprah go together in my mind. What, the two drunk women not available?

Edit: Heard this morning that Bruyneel is going to tell-all (or at least enough). I guess this just pre-empts that. Full on confession? I duno... Lance is too much a fighter, but we'll see.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id= ... 8n&tag=api
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:02 am

Dstew wrote:

You get a yellow jersey!
You get a yellow jersey!
You get a yellow jersey!
You get a yellow jersey!

:dance:

jono
Visit my blog!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:08 am

Wu wei wrote:Edit: Heard this morning that Bruyneel is going to tell-all (or at least enough). I guess this just pre-empts that. Full on confession? I duno... Lance is too much a fighter, but we'll see.

Is Bruyneel going to tell any more than everyone else has already told?

Lance is a bit like that Fat Tony from the Simpsons

Chief Wiggum: You wouldn't happen to know anything about a cigarette truck that was hijacked outside of town, would you?
Fat Tony: What's a truck?
Chief Wiggum: Don't play dumb with me!

Oprah: You wouldn't happen to know anything about doping in the US Postal cycling team, would you?
Lance: What's cycling?

jono
Visit my blog!

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:32 am

jonovision_man wrote:Lance is a bit like that Fat Tony from the Simpsons

Chief Wiggum: You wouldn't happen to know anything about a cigarette truck that was hijacked outside of town, would you?
Fat Tony: What's a truck?
Chief Wiggum: Don't play dumb with me!

and don't forget the rationalizations...

Bart: Uh, say, are you guys crooks?
Fat Tony: Bart, is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family?
Bart: No.
Fat Tony: Well, suppose you got a large starving family. Is it wrong to steal a truckload of bread to feed them?
Bart: Uh uh.
Fat Tony: And, what if your family don't like bread? They like... cigarettes?
Bart: I guess that's okay.
Fat Tony: Now, what if instead of giving them away, you sold them at a price that was practically giving them away. Would that be a crime, Bart?
Bart: Hell, no.

Seriously, though, I'm hoping that something in these interviews/confessions will be useful to shed more light on what really happened, to identify others (e.g., bribe-takers) who also need to be held to account, and to suggest measures that will reduce this sort of behavior in the future.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:54 am

ian wrote:Seriously, though, I'm hoping that something in these interviews/confessions will be useful to shed more light on what really happened, to identify others (e.g., bribe-takers) who also need to be held to account, and to suggest measures that will reduce this sort of behavior in the future.

I'm worried that in confessing he will deflect the issue by blaming the European cycling culture (I was just doing what everyone else was doing, just better), rather than taking personal responsibility. I think the UCI is also to blame.

I'll be interested in watching the interview. January 17 at 9PM ET.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “The Dark Side”