Chlorine issues

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Chlorine issues

Postby Jwolf » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm loving swimming but don't love what it does to my skin and hair. My skin is often dry and itchy and my hair very dry.

What are your favourite remedies? I know at least I should be more generous with moisturizer and conditioner, and I do wet my hair with fresh water first...
Last edited by Jwolf on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

carm
Bill Crothers

Re: Chlorine issues

Postby carm » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:55 pm

I get drier skin from winter in Ottawa (vs. the pool), so I suggest something like Glysomed. It's goopy and gross but it works. As for the dry hair, you can try Triswim shampoo (there are other brands out there). It has additional moisturizers compared to regular shampoo. Some online swim stores sell it in jugs in the US but in Canada, you can only get small bottles.
Carm

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:59 pm

It wrecks the swimming cozzie too. I got some rinse from the local swimming store.
I have super dry skin but found Watkins ultra rich hand cream is great for all my skin and has a very faint smell which is quite pleasant. It isn't goopy, it feels like it goes right into your skin. Wearing a bathing cap helped my hair a bit. I had never heard of Triswim so thanks for the tip. One of my friends swims in a salt pool and says it is easier on the skin. Have you ever been in one?
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:25 pm

Like you said, make sure you saturate your hair in the shower before you put your cap on (my hairdresser told me this trick - he said dry hair acts like a wick, but once it's wet it won't absorb any more water). How about a mild vinegar or lemon juice rinse to neutralize the chlorine? You're the chemist! :lol:

As for the body, exfoliation is key. Use a loofah or something like that in the shower after, then moisturize.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:39 pm

My stylist suggests just a fortifying shampoo for your hair for post swim. I have tried the 'swim specific' shampoo, but I can't be bothered to spend the extra money.

I use Clinque moisture surge for my skin.

And living in Calgary, it's drier than dry. You just learn to adapt. and get used to the chlorine smell (I find salt water pools better than the deeply chlorinated Y pools)
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Chlorine issues

Postby Jwolf » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:53 pm

Thanks for the good advice.

We do have an outdoor salt water pool but I know of none indoors.

As for dry skin- I used to get that badly living back east but have not had that problem since we moved to this climate. Until now. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “The Dark Side”