The don'ts of triathlon swimming

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:34 pm

I was lurking over on Slowtwitch and saw this posted... awesome advice:
http://tower26.com/dont-do-these-in-triathlon-swimming/
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

carm
Bill Crothers

Re: The don'ts of triathlon swimming

Postby carm » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:40 pm

That's a neat blog entry but why are they so anti-breathe every 3rd stroke? When I'm working hard (sprinting) or encounter waves or splashy people, I'll breathe every 2nd or to the opposite side of the obstacle but when I'm in a steady groove, I breathe every 3rd naturally. What's wrong with this?
Carm

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:46 pm

carm wrote:That's a neat blog entry but why are they so anti-breathe every 3rd stroke? When I'm working hard (sprinting) or encounter waves or splashy people, I'll breathe every 2nd or to the opposite side of the obstacle but when I'm in a steady groove, I breathe every 3rd naturally. What's wrong with this?

I think Gerry responded directly to that on Slowtwitch. Simply... more oxygen.
You need more air if you want to go faster.
Every 3rd is probably "natural" as that is the way you've trained. :-)
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Wu wei wrote:
carm wrote:That's a neat blog entry but why are they so anti-breathe every 3rd stroke? When I'm working hard (sprinting) or encounter waves or splashy people, I'll breathe every 2nd or to the opposite side of the obstacle but when I'm in a steady groove, I breathe every 3rd naturally. What's wrong with this?

Makes sense. Given that I'm racing sprint tris this summer, I will undoubtedly be breathing more frequently than every 3rd during those races. :)
Carm

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:55 pm

carm wrote:
Wu wei wrote:

Makes sense. Given that I'm racing sprint tris this summer, I will undoubtedly be breathing more frequently than every 3rd during those races. :)

I breath unilaterally for all race distances, including Ironman.
Open water 10/25k swimmers breath unilaterally. It's not just for short distances...

You have to train unilaterally if you plan to race that way though...
Epictetus

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:17 pm

Wu wei wrote:
carm wrote:
Wu wei wrote:

I breath unilaterally for all race distances, including Ironman.
Open water 10/25k swimmers breath unilaterally. It's not just for short distances...

You have to train unilaterally if you plan to race that way though...

Thanks for the info. That's interesting to find out.
Carm

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:36 pm

I breath every 5th stroke. I have tried less but I feel like it is too often. I guess I need to work on that. But it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks.lol
IMC 2015

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:02 pm

I've just now gotten used to bilateral breathing. My coach says it's better for proper body position. I guess if I wanted to work on speed drills for getting faster and racing I'd want to do more practice with unilateral breathing but still using both sides.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:11 pm

Running Goddess wrote:I breath every 5th stroke. I have tried less but I feel like it is too often. I guess I need to work on that. But it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks.lol

Every 5th stroke is hypoxic swimming. Are you trying to get in too much air with each breathe and exhaling slowly maybe?
Epictetus

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:18 pm

I have horrible cardio swimming so I have to breath every 2nd stroke or I will pass out. I have worked to try to equalize my body position so that I am able to breath on my non-dominant side if necessary and to stream-line my body position better.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:46 pm

I find about breathing every 2 or 3 a more personal thing for swimming, even in open water. I see some fast swimmers (16 min 1500s) breathe every 2. But some also breathe every 3. Personally I breathe every 3 in the pool and open water. I feel a lot more efficient and more balanced. I also have a better body roll.

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:49 pm

ROW wrote:I find about breathing every 2 or 3 a more personal thing for swimming, even in open water. I see some fast swimmers (16 min 1500s) breathe every 2. But some also breathe every 3. Personally I breathe every 3 in the pool and open water. I feel a lot more efficient and more balanced. I also have a better body roll.

Efficient and more balanced is great, but would you prefer to go faster?

EDIT: There seems to be a general assumption that efficiency/balance and unilateral breathing are mutually exclusive here.
Last edited by Wu wei on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Epictetus

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:52 pm

Wu wei wrote:
ROW wrote:I find about breathing every 2 or 3 a more personal thing for swimming, even in open water. I see some fast swimmers (16 min 1500s) breathe every 2. But some also breathe every 3. Personally I breathe every 3 in the pool and open water. I feel a lot more efficient and more balanced. I also have a better body roll.

Efficiency is faster. And its not like I am a age grouper triathlete swimming a couple times a week. I consider myself to have quite a bit of experience swimming. I do swim better breathing every 3 strokes rather than every 2 from personal experience.

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:59 pm

ROW wrote:
Wu wei wrote:

Efficiency is faster. And its not like I am a age grouper triathlete swimming a couple times a week. I consider myself to have quite a bit of experience swimming. I do swim better breathing every 3 strokes rather than every 2 from personal experience.

Faster is faster. Nothing to do with efficiency.

We're all going to be more proficient at what we practice the most.

Gerry Rodrigues has been coaching swimming professionally longer than you have been alive. I'd say he has quite a bit of experience...
Epictetus

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Wu wei wrote:
ROW wrote:
Wu wei wrote:

Gerry Rodrigues has been coaching swimming professionally longer than you have been alive. I'd say he has quite a bit of experience...

Well I didn't realize Gerry Rodrigues is every swimmers coach.

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:10 pm

ROW wrote:
Wu wei wrote:
ROW wrote:
Wu wei wrote:

Who said he is every swimmers coach?

BTW, how do you measure efficiency?
Epictetus

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:11 pm

Wu wei wrote:
ROW wrote:
Wu wei wrote:
ROW wrote:
Wu wei wrote:

Who said he is every swimmers coach?

BTW, how do you measure efficiency?

Mostly by times, and cleaner stroke.

And I am not saying breathing every 2 is bad. Just personally I don't do it and it can be different for everyone. It also depends on someone's coach too.

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:17 pm

ROW wrote:
Wu wei wrote:BTW, how do you measure efficiency?

Mostly by times, and cleaner stroke.

Times are a measure of your speed, not efficiency.

How do you measure that you have a "cleaner stroke"?
Epictetus

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:22 pm

ROW wrote:And I am not saying breathing every 2 is bad. Just personally I don't do it and it can be different for everyone. It also depends on someone's coach too.

I know that. You believe in your coach, that's important.
Epictetus

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:26 pm

Wu wei wrote:
ROW wrote:And I am not saying breathing every 2 is bad. Just personally I don't do it and it can be different for everyone. It also depends on someone's coach too.

I am also a 200-400 free guy so breathing every 2 isn't stressed as much. But I can see where in a 1500 breathing every 2 strokes will come in. I just know that I would swim a lot slower in a 200 not breathing every 3 strokes.

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:44 pm

ROW wrote:
Wu wei wrote:

I am also a 200-400 free guy so breathing every 2 isn't stressed as much. But I can see where in a 1500 breathing every 2 strokes will come in. I just know that I would swim a lot slower in a 200 not breathing every 3 strokes.

Well.. there is part of our disconnect.
You are training as a SWIMMER. My post refers to triathlon swimming.
Yes, there is crossover, just as there is crossover between a 200 and a 1500m pool event.
But they are not the same event.

Methods of measuring swim efficiency are largely ineffective and/or subjective.
Swim golf is the most frequently used method but anyone who's ever done it instantly knows that if they kick harder, they lower their golf score! Useless.

Therefore the only real metric that counts is time. What's the fastest way to cover the distance?
Naturally you'll be fastest using the technique you practice most because of your neuromuscular conditioning.
Does that mean it's the fastest way? For you, right now, yes.
However, does that mean there isn't a better way? Maybe, maybe not.

A couple of Don'ts from the article:
DON’T ……
5. Think any coach knows it ALL.
8. Hire a coach who can’t/won’t explain why they prescribe their training.
9. Hire a coach who thinks there is ONLY one training route (theirs) to performance.
Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:53 pm

Those are good points about the coach. My current coach is great for helping me correct by position and technique, but so far that hasn't translated appreciably to speed. I know it's only been 6 weeks, but I was led to believe (not just by him) that correcting my stroke and body position would lead to huge gains in speed. I have done well with the efficiency, that is, using less energy to cover the same distance, but I'm still painfully slow. I think the only thing that will get me faster now will be speed drills so I can get stronger and get more power with my stroke. We don't do any of that in this class.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:27 pm

Jwolf wrote:Those are good points about the coach. My current coach is great for helping me correct by position and technique, but so far that hasn't translated appreciably to speed. I know it's only been 6 weeks, but I was led to believe (not just by him) that correcting my stroke and body position would lead to huge gains in speed. I have done well with the efficiency, that is, using less energy to cover the same distance, but I'm still painfully slow. I think the only thing that will get me faster now will be speed drills so I can get stronger and get more power with my stroke. We don't do any of that in this class.

How do you measure your efficiency and the energy you use to cover the same distance? ;-)

Efficiency is a red herring.

Let's pretend you can somehow measure efficiency accurately.
Two athletes in swim race. The more efficient athlete finished 2 mins behind the less efficient athlete.
Who won the race?
Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:33 pm

Greg, you know I'm not stupid and of course I want to get faster.
I realize that efficiency is meaningless if it doesn't translate to speed. I know it feels easier and I'm not getting as tired so I'm assuming I'm using less energy. But I'm not getting faster. Well I am, but not a lot. That's why I know that once I get the technique down I have to work on the speed in a different way.

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Jwolf wrote:Greg, you know I'm not stupid and of course I want to get faster.
I realize that efficiency is meaningless if it doesn't translate to speed. I know it feels easier and I'm not getting as tired so I'm assuming I'm using less energy. But I'm not getting faster. Well I am, but not a lot. That's why I know that once I get the technique down I have to work on the speed in a different way.

Jen, I know you are very bright. :-)

I'm trying to drive home the point that "efficiency" shouldn't even enter the discussion. It's irrelevant.

Fitness and technique are built together. Fitness allows you to hold better technique which allows you to build greater fitness.
Epictetus

Return to “The Dark Side”