Bruce Kidd

Re: Buying a Bike

Postby Wu wei » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:37 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Wu wei wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
runJrun wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Joc-
As you saw on FB I ended up getting a cross bike. But I think my needs are a bit different from your because this will be my only bike. I assume you're still keeping your MTB bike. I also am just building up to the sprint distance tris which you've done already on your MTB bike. I can't see myself getting into very long rides any time soon. I wanted something more versatile than a straight road bike, which I may look into if I decide to eventually do longer rides.

I did get mine at MEC but they have their own brand name for the cross bikes-- it's not a Ghost. Apparently the one I got is similar to a Kona Jake cross bike.

I did see that you had gotten a cross bike and it sounds wonderful, how are you enjoying that so far?

Loving it so far, although I've only been out three times. :)

It's time to sign up for Strava now. ;-)

I think I'm already signed up but I have no idea why I need to be on there.

I think what I REALLY need is to stop talking to cyclists. ;)

FYI... you are now a cyclist.
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:46 pm

My eyes played tricks on me and I read the title of this thread as "Bullying Mike" and I thought..."that's not very nice!" :lol:

/hijack
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Buying a Bike

Postby Jwolf » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:54 pm

Wu wei wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Wu wei wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
runJrun wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Joc-
As you saw on FB I ended up getting a cross bike. But I think my needs are a bit different from your because this will be my only bike. I assume you're still keeping your MTB bike. I also am just building up to the sprint distance tris which you've done already on your MTB bike. I can't see myself getting into very long rides any time soon. I wanted something more versatile than a straight road bike, which I may look into if I decide to eventually do longer rides.

I did get mine at MEC but they have their own brand name for the cross bikes-- it's not a Ghost. Apparently the one I got is similar to a Kona Jake cross bike.

I did see that you had gotten a cross bike and it sounds wonderful, how are you enjoying that so far?

Loving it so far, although I've only been out three times. :)

It's time to sign up for Strava now. ;-)

I think I'm already signed up but I have no idea why I need to be on there.

I think what I REALLY need is to stop talking to cyclists. ;)

FYI... you are now a cyclist.

Resistance is futile... Or not in this case...
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Sun May 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Finally found my bike and pick her up next Saturday :) it is a Giant Avail Composite 3 and was on sale for just over $1,500. They had to order it in and will be building her this week. Beyond excited!!!!
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun May 26, 2013 10:17 pm

runJrun wrote:Finally found my bike and pick her up next Saturday :) it is a Giant Avail Composite 3 and was on sale for just over $1,500. They had to order it in and will be building her this week. Beyond excited!!!!

Awesome! We need some pictures. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon May 27, 2013 5:45 am

runJrun wrote:Finally found my bike and pick her up next Saturday :) it is a Giant Avail Composite 3 and was on sale for just over $1,500. They had to order it in and will be building her this week. Beyond excited!!!!

That's a great deal on a great bike! You don't want to know what I paid for mine 2 years ago!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Mon May 27, 2013 10:20 am

Jwolf wrote:

Awesome! We need some pictures. :)

As soon as I get it I shall post lots of pics! Planning my ride next Sunday :)
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!

- Sasha Azevedo

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Tue May 28, 2013 6:25 pm

Woo! Hoo!!!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Thu May 30, 2013 11:38 am

So very excited! Now comes my next questions. What are the essentials that I get to accompany her? I have been doing a ton of reading and it would seem that the following are very important to have off the bat:

Helmet (I have one)
Shoes (I have them)
Water bottle holder(s) & water bottle(s)
Repair Kit
Pump

Any advice/suggestions is much appreciated!!
Jocelyn

- Sasha Azevedo

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Thu May 30, 2013 12:28 pm

runJrun wrote:So very excited! Now comes my next questions. What are the essentials that I get to accompany her? I have been doing a ton of reading and it would seem that the following are very important to have off the bat:

Helmet (I have one)
Shoes (I have them)
Repair Kit
Pump

2 Insulated Water bottles & 2water bottle holders
Repair Kit - just a small basic tool kit from MEC and a spare tube and levers.
Pump - there's a cute little one available now, that will fit in your (new?) seat bag. :D
And, if you have funds, a garmin with cadence sensor and Heart Rate monitor. Otherwise just a small speed and cadence sensor.
A tiny bell (I think a bell is law?) And a front white light and rear red light
if you're doing distance rides, a bento box is good to fit your snacks, kleenex, cell phone, blistex, etc. :)
Don't forget the bright new bike shirt! :lol:

~ Dr. Suess~

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Thu May 30, 2013 3:26 pm

trixiee wrote:
runJrun wrote:So very excited! Now comes my next questions. What are the essentials that I get to accompany her? I have been doing a ton of reading and it would seem that the following are very important to have off the bat:

Helmet (I have one)
Shoes (I have them)
Repair Kit
Pump

2 Insulated Water bottles & 2water bottle holders
Repair Kit - just a small basic tool kit from MEC and a spare tube and levers.
Pump - there's a cute little one available now, that will fit in your (new?) seat bag. :D
And, if you have funds, a garmin with cadence sensor and Heart Rate monitor. Otherwise just a small speed and cadence sensor.
A tiny bell (I think a bell is law?) And a front white light and rear red light
if you're doing distance rides, a bento box is good to fit your snacks, kleenex, cell phone, blistex, etc. :)
Don't forget the bright new bike shirt! :lol:

Thanks for the advice! I will have to take a look for that pump and will be hitting up MEC on Sunday :) Yes I will definitely need snacks and such. Having diabetes and doing any kind of exercise means I leave the house like a pack horse every day, ha ha. I have been looking to see what other diabetics do to carry all their swag and there are some pretty cool ideas - I like the Bento box one!
Jocelyn

- Sasha Azevedo

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:46 pm

Here she is :)

https://plus.google.com/photos/109501902121868952130/albums/5885375775430178961/5885375782927195570?pid=5885375782927195570&oid=109501902121868952130

Not sure how to post a picture properly so hope this comes through. So far I am in love :)
Jocelyn

- Sasha Azevedo

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:56 pm

runJrun wrote:Here she is :)

https://plus.google.com/photos/109501902121868952130/albums/5885375775430178961/5885375782927195570?pid=5885375782927195570&oid=109501902121868952130

Not sure how to post a picture properly so hope this comes through. So far I am in love :)

Nope. :( didn't work!

~ Dr. Suess~

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Buying a Bike

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:57 pm

Oops- doesn't work... You need to get the .jpg file and put [img] tags around it. I can do it from your FB pic if you want...

oops.... too big. :) i need to reduce it....

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:35 pm

Nice bike!

~ Dr. Suess~

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:46 am

Sweet! Nice ride! :D
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:54 am

Jwolf wrote:Oops- doesn't work... You need to get the .jpg file and put [img] tags around it. I can do it from your FB pic if you want...

oops.... too big. :) i need to reduce it....

Thanks Jen!
Jocelyn

- Sasha Azevedo

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:01 am

On your list of things to have, as well as a pump, I have CO2 cartridges, as I don't have the strength to fully blow up my tire with the little "hand-held" I have.....

And I have a foot pump in the garage that I use before I head out on any ride.....

Enjoy -- nice bike!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:17 am

Slap-on aerobars would be nice add-on ... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Shorten that brake cable housing to the rear brake to give the cable a straighter run to the brake.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:Shorten that brake cable housing to the rear brake to give the cable a straighter run to the brake.

Thank you for this advice! I shall see if I can find someone to do this for me.
Jocelyn

- Sasha Azevedo

Return to “The Dark Side”