Running off the bike

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Running off the bike

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:19 am

If I were to start incorporating some runs after a bike ride, what would be a good ratio (i.e. distance or time to run after cycling)?
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Re: Running off the bike

Postby Mark.AU » Mon May 06, 2013 9:22 am

Start with five or ten minutes running within 5min of finishing the ride and work your way up from there.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Mon May 06, 2013 9:23 am

I've always done bricks or transition runs in the 20-30 min range off the bike from sprints up to HIM. As for frequency, I only do bricks once a week when juggling a full tri training program. There isn't usually time to squeeze in more. Some people do swim/bike bricks too but I haven't ever done that.
Carm

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon May 06, 2013 10:32 am

I am with Mark on this one...

To start, simple 5 minutes out, 5 minutes back. It's a hard feeling to get used to, and that's why they call it a brick. Slowly build from there. And you don't need to go "long". I think the longest run off a bike from my half IM training was maybe 30-45 minutes.

Have fun!
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon May 06, 2013 11:10 am

MINITEE wrote:I am with Mark on this one...

To start, simple 5 minutes out, 5 minutes back. It's a hard feeling to get used to, and that's why they call it a brick. Slowly build from there. And you don't need to go "long". I think the longest run off a bike from my half IM training was maybe 30-45 minutes.

Have fun!

Doing a 10- to 15-min run off the bike is a different type of workout than doing longer bricks (30+ minutes). The 10-min transition run just gets your legs (and you) used to the feeling of running after cycling. The longer brick runs are more about endurance and running on tired legs. The wobbly-leg feeling usually goes away after the first 10 minutes, so the rest of the run is just about endurance.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Running off the bike

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 06, 2013 12:09 pm

As another newbie triathlete I have to say this is easier than I thought it would be. I do this once or twice per week (either outside or at the gym) because in general I find it easier to do back-to-back workouts than two separate workouts, so it allows me to do more running in a week. I've done up to 30 min run after bike. I also often do one day where I swim and bike back-to-back.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Mon May 06, 2013 5:53 pm

Jwolf wrote:As another newbie triathlete I have to say this is easier than I thought it would be. I do this once or twice per week (either outside or at the gym) because in general I find it easier to do back-to-back workouts than two separate workouts, so it allows me to do more running in a week. I've done up to 30 min run after bike. I also often do one day where I swim and bike back-to-back.

You will find that running hard after a virtual all out TT on a bike is a bit different from cruising on a bike and going for an easy run after.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Running off the bike

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:
Jwolf wrote:As another newbie triathlete I have to say this is easier than I thought it would be. I do this once or twice per week (either outside or at the gym) because in general I find it easier to do back-to-back workouts than two separate workouts, so it allows me to do more running in a week. I've done up to 30 min run after bike. I also often do one day where I swim and bike back-to-back.

You will find that running hard after a virtual all out TT on a bike is a bit different from cruising on a bike and going for an easy run after.

I didn't mean to sound condescending. I'm not ready to do hard TT workouts yet but I have been doing pretty hard interval workouts on the bike indoors before I switch to the treadmill. It's a level where I'm ready to train now. I didn't mean that it was "easy" in the sense of not challenging (it is a challenging workout) but easier to fit into my training than I expected.

Certainly the first times I went from the bike to the run (including in my baby tri) I was going as hard as I could and the run felt really tough.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Mon May 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:

Word.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 06, 2013 6:33 pm

Mark 2.1 wrote:
Pat Menzies wrote:

Word.

I think I get it. You guys don't have to explain to me what hard training feels like (although I know I have a long way to go to get there on the bike)-- I was merely trying to say say that these workouts are pretty "easy" to work into the routine. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon May 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Sylvie, you're looking at doing this AFTER your goal race, no? You've gotta be tapering now, right? Nothing new during taper :naughty:
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:07 am

jes wrote:Sylvie, you're looking at doing this AFTER your goal race, no? You've gotta be tapering now, right? Nothing new during taper :naughty:

Thanks Jes -- this was just a general question as I try to fit in cycling over the summer months to spend more time with Hubby, and yet still train for a fall marathon -- as you well know, it's all a balancing act!! :D
Last edited by orleansrunner1962 on Tue May 07, 2013 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue May 07, 2013 7:07 am

Mark 2.1 wrote:
Pat Menzies wrote:You will find that running hard after a virtual all out TT on a bike is a bit different from cruising on a bike and going for an easy run after.

Word.

Oh yes. :)
Carm

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Tue May 07, 2013 7:49 am

Since the actual training goal was not identified, all the suggestions in this thread are good.

Return to “The Dark Side”