Surviving Indoor Trainer H-E-double-hockeystick

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

VDoT
Bruce Kidd

Re: Surviving Indoor Trainer H-E-double-hockeystick

Postby VDoT » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:43 pm

Trainer Road on my laptop and DVD TV series on my big screen TV.
Dan

Coming up in 2015:

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:43 pm

I always have a workout. No "just spinning".
Other than that, it varies.

Last weekend was Blue Bloods marathon. Sometimes a movie, PVR'd TV, live sports. Sometimes I just stream BBC Essential Mixes from SoundCloud and tune out.

I also take a break from cycling after CX season, then Nordic ski from when the snow gets decent (mid Nov this year) until the start of March. We're lucky to have several good places to Nordic ski in the Edmonton area, plus a small but fun race scene in Alberta. I highly recommend it.

I only sit on the trainer when the snow is bad or the temps are too cold. 90min classic ski tonight after work. :-)
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

sanrensho

Postby sanrensho » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:45 pm

First post here.

I do Sufferfest occasionally (not so much lately), the key is to always have a structured workout in place before stepping on the bike. I will adjust the workout (length and plan) depending on how my legs feel, up to 1.5 hours. Some of my workouts are based on the Time-Crunched Cyclist book.

I watch race footage while training indoors, currently going through this year's Vuelta coverage courtesy of YouTube. This is the only time when I actually have time to watch large chunks of race footage.

The other big motivator for me the last two seasons has been switching to rollers with a resistance unit. I really look forward to my indoor training sessions now. The rollers are not ideal for short anaerobic threshold intervals, but way more fun for everything else.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:41 pm

sanrensho wrote:First post here.

Welcome.

sanrensho wrote:The other big motivator for me the last two seasons has been switching to rollers with a resistance unit. I really look forward to my indoor training sessions now. The rollers are not ideal for short anaerobic threshold intervals, but way more fun for everything else.

Interesting, seems like most people with rollers swear by them.

When you say it's "not ideal" for the short threshold stuff, do you mean because the resistance isn't sufficient? Or something else?

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Postby FishHog » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:53 pm

glad I'm not the only one who suffers on the trainer. When I was Ironman training, I was doing up to 3hr rides on the computrainer. But the last few years I've been struggling with hitting 90min, no matter how I try to entertain myself. I find it amazing that I can run for 3hrs on the TM and actually enjoy it, but ridding indoors just about kills me.

FishHog
In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:59 pm

jonovision_man wrote:When you say it's "not ideal" for the short threshold stuff, do you mean because the resistance isn't sufficient? Or something else?
jono

You can't get enough resistance on rollers for the really hard stuff.
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

sanrensho

Postby sanrensho » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:46 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
When you say it's "not ideal" for the short threshold stuff, do you mean because the resistance isn't sufficient? Or something else?

jono

On my setup (Kreitler 3" rollers retrofitted with a Minoura mag resistance unit), I probably have enough resistance to thrash out longer Vo2 max intervals at top gear.

It's just that I find rollers are too sketchy to really thrash out max effort sprints. Such efforts are just plain safer on a locked wheel trainer (I have a Kurt Kinetic for that) or outdoors. I consider myself a decently advanced roller rider too, no-hands, climbing out of saddle, etc.

I have heard that the really expensive TruTrainer and E-Motion rollers are fine for such efforts, but I don't have one (yet). For all other effort levels, the rollers are much more fun to ride than a trainer. It's also great to just jump on my light bike in shorts and a SS jersey, instead of throwing on layers of clothing, riding the winter bike, cleaning up the bike afterward, and putting it all away.

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:21 pm

*disclaimer : I haven't been on my trainer in about a year*

I also preferred a harder shorter workout where I focused on what I was doing rather than just spinning while watching a TV show. I used to spin while watching Biggest Loser, during the commercials I would spin hard until the show came back on. Now the whole show is mostly a commercials which makes a two hour show a killer ;)

My preference is to do a warm up, 1-2 min intervals, 1-2 min recovery x10, cool down. I can increase or decrease the number and duration of the intervals depending on how I feel.

I should really get my trainer set up. My 13 yo son shows me up everyday by biking to school. Even in the super cold weather. Crazy.
The Summer of Eng is over.

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:19 am

FishHog wrote:glad I'm not the only one who suffers on the trainer. When I was Ironman training, I was doing up to 3hr rides on the computrainer. But the last few years I've been struggling with hitting 90min, no matter how I try to entertain myself. I find it amazing that I can run for 3hrs on the TM and actually enjoy it, but ridding indoors just about kills me.

FishHog

I'm the exact opposite now - I used to be able to run on the TM for a long time... now I can't even stand to look at it. Being new to indoor bike training, I am actually enjoying it now (so far) but then again 90 min is my longest so far...
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:38 am

3 hrs on the trainer is not too bad - just looking back at my training log for Cozumel, looks like I did about 5 or 6 of them. Luckily was able to get outside for some other longer rides with a trip away and just sucking up and riding in cooler weather with a lot of layers. I did in that prep cycle and in the past have done up to 5hrs on the trainer. The key for me for all of these workouts is having a workout plan, which my coach will provide to me. It's not all high intensity but there is some hard sets and enough variety to keep your mind busy. That and having NFL, past Ironman races on the PVR or a movie helps pass the time.

It all depends on your goal. Do I do these because I just 'want to' or get some acknowledgement? No. But it's part of the plan and you do what you have to to get to your goal. And sometimes **** weather will prevent that, so you deal with it and adjust. Simple. I ride my trainer year round because there are some days it is honestly easier to go downstairs and get a high intensity workout in instead of the logistics of going outside (as we have to drive to a spot to ride). The trainer doesn't let you coast and I always have a workout plan. Even when I think I'll just 'spin' - I always end up doing some sets in the big chain or some cadence to mix things up.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:41 am

I bought ISLAGIATT (sufferfest) ... almost two hours long. Not boring, the shortest two hours I've ever spent on a trainer. I found the intensity high for that length of ride, probably better for a little later in the season (depending on you fitness of course!)

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:10 pm

I need to find a way to not go numb...down there.

New saddle?

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:12 pm

AjaxRunner wrote:I need to find a way to not go numb...down there.

New saddle?

or different position on the old one. Numbness is more likely position, not saddle - that's what I would try first.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Return to “The Dark Side”