Tour de france 2015

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Re: Tour de france 2015

Postby Wu wei » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:23 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
5km wrote:Lance hooked a spectator's shopping bag with his handlebars and went down. I believe he was fighting with Jan Ullrich during the climb and Jan waited for Lance to rejoin him. It was an example of good sportsmanship. That was unlike the controversial incident in which Contador attacked when Andi Schleck dropped his chain on a climb.

Well Andy got the last laugh when Contador was DQ'd for doping! :)

jono

No, he was probably just happy not to get popped too.

Besides, dropping one's chain is not bad luck, it's a bad shift... he deserved to get attacked.
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:06 am

First big climb today... should be some GC excitement.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:15 am

jonovision_man wrote:First big climb today... should be some GC excitement.

jono

Well... haven't seen the stage, but saw the results.

NOT NORMAL.

The TdF is the same farce as usual. *sigh*
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:23 pm

Wu wei wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:First big climb today... should be some GC excitement.

jono

Well... haven't seen the stage, but saw the results.

NOT NORMAL.

The TdF is the same farce as usual. *sigh*

The real tell is how the Sky guys rode away from Quintana... I can maybe buy Froome putting some time into him, but Porte blowing up while leading Froome out, falling back, then recovering to catch and pass Quintana :shock: That shouldn't happen when things are "normal".

Sky are pretty clearly doing something the other teams aren't, and it's been the new "normal" for several years now. I've been waiting for it to all blow up in their faces, someone has to mess up sooner or later...

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:35 pm

Visit my blog!

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:39 pm

I like to watch the TdF for the scenery and a bit of drama now and then, but it's hard not to be cynical about doping etc.

Quintana, Contador, Van Garderen etc. did nothing today. If something doesn't happen tomorrow to shake things up, the rest of the Tour will be very boring indeed.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:19 am

The Lance Show has arrived! :) Just what Froome needs right now!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lance-a ... ench-roads

jono
Visit my blog!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:06 am

Interesting statements. He's still playing the "we should all be judged/sentenced the same way" card.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:11 am

As much flak as I've given Lance, he has every right to be at the Tour as a spectator and/or charity rider.
Epictetus

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:10 pm

Wu wei wrote:As much flak as I've given Lance, he has every right to be at the Tour as a spectator and/or charity rider.

"right" meaning it's not illegal - sure. "Right" meaning it's the right thing to do - not so much.

jono
Visit my blog!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Ryder was in the break today. He gave it a good go but it was pretty clear the peleton had the chops to real them in... so yeah, ended up being one of the few sprinters stages this Tour.

Garmin is having a brutal Tour IMO, nothing's gone right. Nowhere in the GC, can't seem to snag a stage win. Just checking out France I guess? Hope the do something in the Alps, but with the strong climbers in this field it's increasingly unlikely. Maybe being so far off the pace will help them get into the break-away with a couple guys one of these days, not sure.

jono
Visit my blog!

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:00 pm

It's just not happening for Team Garmin. They couldn't get even a single rider into the break today!

It's a rest day tomorrow then into the Alps. I hope the GC boys finally put on some meaningful attacks. They are running out of time. At least Nibali showed some spirit today.

Geraint Thomas' crash today was something else. I thought I'd had seen the worst. I was afraid it was going to be Fabio Casartelli all over again! I'm relieved he made it and hope they check him out really well in hospital for possible head injuries.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:52 am

5km wrote:Geraint Thomas' crash today was something else. I thought I'd had seen the worst. I was afraid it was going to be Fabio Casartelli all over again! I'm relieved he made it and hope they check him out really well in hospital for possible head injuries.

Luckily, they weren't going that fast. Those spectators were stupid to be standing in that spot (some of them got knocked down the hill). Seems like it was similar conditions to the day of that crash Belocki had that was posted above*.

Usually, I prefer mountain-top finishes, but this downhill finish was quite exciting!

*ETA: they actually mentioned that crash, but no comment about how Lance had to ride through the field. Even when they were talking the other day about the Cassartelli crash in '95 and how the Motorola team rode in silence the next day, there was no mention that Lance was on that team. It's like they aren't even acknowledging that Lance ever raced (or existed for that matter).

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:02 pm

5km wrote:Geraint Thomas' crash today was something else. I thought I'd had seen the worst. I was afraid it was going to be Fabio Casartelli all over again! I'm relieved he made it and hope they check him out really well in hospital for possible head injuries.

And maybe a blood test or two? ;)

Watching his head bang off that pole I thought his race was done - pretty cool he managed to get back up and retain his position.

jono
Visit my blog!

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:12 pm

jonovision_man wrote:

And maybe a blood test or two? ;)

Watching his head bang off that pole I thought his race was done - pretty cool he managed to get back up and retain his position.

jono

It was good to see him maintain his position today.

No real fireworks in the GC today. The contenders are running out of time.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:33 pm

Watching Tejay van Garderen drop out gave me a sad. Just never seems to click for the guy.

jono
Visit my blog!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:52 am

5km wrote:It's just not happening for Team Garmin. They couldn't get even a single rider into the break today!

They have 3 up there today - Talansky, Dan Martin, and Ryder! It's a big group, about 30 riders, should make for an entertaining day.

jono
Visit my blog!

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:52 am

Frenchmen in first and second place. France will rejoice tonight.

Nothing new from the GC men. Contador was the only one who really tried. They are running out of time. Phil and Paul are saying (as expected) that it's a great tour. I am finding it a bit boring from the GC perspective.

I don't know why but I'm finding it hard to cheer for Team Sky.

Valverde, Nibali, and today Contador, seem to be the only "motivators" this year of the GC men. So far Quintana has looked strong but hasn't really done anything much to get some time back from Froome.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:51 am

Nibali attacks Froome during a mechanical. Classy. :? What happened to the old gentlemen's sportsmanship this sport once had, it was the last thing we had left to cling to in the world of blood bags and testicle patches.

Exact moment caught on camera, he can't say he didn't know Froome was in trouble.

Lame. No rule against it, but lame.

jono
Visit my blog!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:53 am

I agree. Just like Contador did to Schleck.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:32 am

So, who first saw this and thought, Hey, let's ride our bikes up there! :lol:

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:33 am

La wrote:I agree. Just like Contador did to Schleck.

Yep.

Quintana's last chance today.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:49 pm

La wrote:So, who first saw this and thought, Hey, let's ride our bikes up there! :lol:

Awesome. :D

jono
Visit my blog!

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:20 pm

How about this for weird coincidence:

Greg Lemond comes out to suggest some riders might have a motor providing a little assistance that can easily been hidden within the frame of the bikes. This allegation comes out and Froome looses close to 2 minutes from his lead and Thomas who was in 4th and thought to be able to challenge for 3rd drops down to 15th. I wonder how long before the conspiracy theorists emerge?

The first week was wild and wonderful. The next week boring and almost predictable. The last week provided several great stage battles.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:09 am

Dstew wrote:How about this for weird coincidence:

Greg Lemond comes out to suggest some riders might have a motor providing a little assistance that can easily been hidden within the frame of the bikes. This allegation comes out and Froome looses close to 2 minutes from his lead and Thomas who was in 4th and thought to be able to challenge for 3rd drops down to 15th. I wonder how long before the conspiracy theorists emerge?

The first week was wild and wonderful. The next week boring and almost predictable. The last week provided several great stage battles.

Yeah I kind of enjoyed it. The whole Froome/Sky thing ruined it for me, but the last week was still good. Ryder gave a good show on Alp d'Huez!

jono
Visit my blog!

Return to “The Dark Side”