Vuelta a Espana, Tour of Alberta (contains spoilers)

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Vuelta a Espana, Tour of Alberta (contains spoilers)

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:38 am

Vuelta!

What a race so far...

Nibali disqualified for grabbing onto the team car and zooming away from a group of riders. Well deserved - they tried to pass it off as "well everyone kind of does it" but I've never seen that before, only quick holds during servicing that may linger a little long... but to pick a guy up and drive him up to the next bunch??? Ridiculous!

Sagan hit by a motorbike and withdrawn by his team... and today yet another Tinkoff-Saxo rider gets hit by a motorbike! I wouldn't be surprised to see them take the entire team out, Tinkoff sounds apoplectic (even for him).

Today's stage was crazy. They called it the toughest ever:
http://src.media.cyclingnews.com/2015/08/10/1/perfil_11.png

Not sure what's going on at Astana, looked like Aru got the shaft from Landa? Should have been helped to the line you'd expect, but instead he charged forward for the stage win. Could be he ignored the team, we'll see...

Entertaining stuff! :)

Tour of Alberta

Starts today! Pretty good line-up this year, including Ryder Hesjedal. And some (gasp!) mountains this time! Should be better.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Vuelta a Espana, Tour of Alberta (contains spoilers)

Postby La » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:04 pm

I was caught up until the stages with the crashes (including Sagan), but I've lost track since then. I can't believe that another motorcycle interfered with a rider! Well, maybe I can believe it (shocked, but not surprised).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:21 pm

La wrote:I was caught up until the stages with the crashes (including Sagan), but I've lost track since then. I can't believe that another motorcycle interfered with a rider! Well, maybe I can believe it (shocked, but not surprised).

Yeah I always see them zipping around and think "I can't believe they don't crash"... well, this Vuelta they're making up for all those close calls I guess!

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:39 pm

Froome's chances for a top GC finish have diminished, if not ended. What caused him to crash at the start of today's stage?

Quintana and Valverde don't look so strong either.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:58 pm

And confirmed by Landa... he ignored the team and went for the win on his own. Guess he's leaving at the end of the season so he's burning all bridges on his way out?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vuelta- ... kel-landa/

jono
Visit my blog!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:26 am

http://globalnews.ca/news/2202615/snowf ... e-3-route/

And from twitter, overnight in Jasper

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:05 am

Ouch... :( I hope they don't take out any of the climbs, especially tomorrow's climb up to Marmott! That looks like it should be pretty epic.

jono
Visit my blog!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:14 pm

The most recent photo on twitter.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:48 am

Great fun, both races. So nice to see the Tour of Alberta finally do some mountain stages.

Vuelta has been great too, so close... after the TT it's a 3s lead! :shock: Tom Dumoulin reminds me a lot of Ryder's Giro win - dark horse, wasn't expected to be able to cut it in the high mountains, stayed calm and managed not to lose too much time, then was able to use the TT to bring it home!

(although they're not quite home yet, are they? ;))

jono
Visit my blog!

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Aru was a surprise in the TT. He didn't do to badly.

Also after struggling on the last mountain stage, he made a really strong effort at the finish. He's quite entertaining to watch as he displays more emotion than a lot of the riders.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:38 am

5km wrote:Aru was a surprise in the TT. He didn't do to badly.

Also after struggling on the last mountain stage, he made a really strong effort at the finish. He's quite entertaining to watch as he displays more emotion than a lot of the riders.

Agreed! It's been a fantastic Vuelta, as usual better than the Tour... :? Just seems to turn out that way.

Only 3 seconds - you never can tell what's going to happen... today's stage certainly isn't flat.

Fun fact: Tom Dumoulin was winning the Tour of Alberta last year by 9 seconds going into the last stage, when Daryl Impey earned a 10s time bonus by winning the stage and took the overall win. Valuable lesson that should help him in the next few days? :)

jono
Visit my blog!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:29 am

Wow Aru is attacking today... 35km to go, there's a gap, it's exciting!

And not on TV until tonight, thanks Sportsnet! :P I won't say anything else but seems like the end of this stage will be pretty exciting! :shock:

jono
Visit my blog!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:18 pm

Quite the Vuelta. Astana winning is pretty much exactly the wrong result for all of cycling, but can't say it wasn't thrilling!

And Dumoulin, poor ****, always the bridesmaid... can't believe how often this has happened to him, I doubt he'll ever come this close in a Grand Tour ever again. That was his shot. I guess he's not even a bridesmaid, fell right off the podium. :?

jono
Visit my blog!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:18 pm

Guess you can't say ****. ****.
Visit my blog!

Return to “The Dark Side”