2017 Tour de France (SPOILERS)

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

2017 Tour de France (SPOILERS)

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:10 pm

Wow... there were some people saying Sagan had no choice etc, but to my eye he clearly changed his line, went to the right and squeezed Cavendish. The elbow was complete craziness... spur of the moment decision, but a horribly bad one.

Sagan DQ'd from TdF:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peter-s ... de-france/

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Re: 2017 Tour de France (SPOILERS)

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:21 pm

This is a more complete view of the incident.

https://youtu.be/Ow0MgSNtiCI

Sagan moved late to jump on the wheel of the rider passing him, I can't tell if he didn't see Cav or didn't care, but he squeezed him into the barrier.

DQ might be harsh though.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:44 am

Crazy stage yesterday...................... crashes and attacks and controversy! :shock:

Aru can rot - attacks when Froome has a mechanical? Lame. :naughty:

Too bad about Porte, he looked strong. Broken collarbone AND pelvis? :?

Contador is cooked. I guess his career is pretty close to over at 34. Seems like just yesterday nobody could match the guy.

jono
Visit my blog!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:34 am

I saw the Porte crash yesterday :shock:

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:57 pm

It's really too bad about Porte. I'm glad he's going to recover but with him out of the Tour and Sagan gone and Contador not looking good and Valverde out who's left to challenge Froome?

The rest of the Tour might be a snooze fest.

PS I agree, Aru's attack was bad form.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:38 am

That Porte crash was horrific. Dan Martin is lucky he didn't suffer more serious injury.

I've been listening to Lance Armstrong's Stages podcast where he recaps each stage of the Tour. The comment he made about Aru was that it was almost as if he'd ducked right under Froome's raised arm to attack at the moment he signaled for a mechanical! :lol: I guess the days on not attacking your opponents when they're down went out when guys like Contador entered the scene. He did it to Schleck, and it's been happening ever since. Unlike the days when Lance waited after Ullrich ended up in a ditch, and the time the whole group waited when Lance got his handlebars caught in a spectator's bag. Ahhh, those were the good ol' days... ;) :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:21 pm

La wrote:That Porte crash was horrific. Dan Martin is lucky he didn't suffer more serious injury.

I've been listening to Lance Armstrong's Stages podcast where he recaps each stage of the Tour. The comment he made about Aru was that it was almost as if he'd ducked right under Froome's raised arm to attack at the moment he signaled for a mechanical! :lol: I guess the days on not attacking your opponents when they're down went out when guys like Contador entered the scene. He did it to Schleck, and it's been happening ever since. Unlike the days when Lance waited after Ullrich ended up in a ditch, and the time the whole group waited when Lance got his handlebars caught in a spectator's bag. Ahhh, those were the good ol' days... ;) :lol:

Sigh, me too. I hate Lance, but I really wanted to know what he thought of the stage. :cry: :cry: :cry:

:help:

jono
Visit my blog!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:07 pm

Didn't expect Froome to lose yellow today! Whoops!

Everyone's losing it because Landa ditched From with about 100m to go... not sure how much he could have helped anyway. Should have let him go sooner, if anything, maybe win the stage, take a bonus away from Aru? Dunno.

jono
Visit my blog!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:58 am

Is the time bonus thing back again? Is this the first year? They took it away a number of years ago. I didn't know it had been brought back.

That was quite the ending to the stage. I wouldn't say the stage itself was exciting, but the final climb certainly was. I didn't expect Froome to crack like that! The same thing happened to him as he did to Wiggins a few years ago.

I can't say that I'm a fan of Aru (or the Astana team), but I do like that things were shaken up in the GC. It's boring when the Yellow Jersey doesn't change hands at least a few times during the race.

I also enjoyed watching them ride where I was in 2013. I did the Col des Ares and Col de Mente, but did them in the opposite direction. I also went up the Col de Peyresourde that year, but in a van! :lol:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:33 am

I won't have a chance to watch today's stage until later or tomorrow (and I don't know what's going on currently). Any bets on whether Volkler will try to break away today, Bastille Day, in his final Tour? It wouldn't surprise me.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:33 am

La wrote:Is the time bonus thing back again? Is this the first year? They took it away a number of years ago. I didn't know it had been brought back.

That was quite the ending to the stage. I wouldn't say the stage itself was exciting, but the final climb certainly was. I didn't expect Froome to crack like that! The same thing happened to him as he did to Wiggins a few years ago.

I can't say that I'm a fan of Aru (or the Astana team), but I do like that things were shaken up in the GC. It's boring when the Yellow Jersey doesn't change hands at least a few times during the race.

I also enjoyed watching them ride where I was in 2013. I did the Col des Ares and Col de Mente, but did them in the opposite direction. I also went up the Col de Peyresourde that year, but in a van! :lol:

Yeah I hate Aru but it's made it more interesting for sure, better than Froome just running away with it.

I really like Landa causing Froome some trouble even more though. :dance: Nothing like a rogue teammate to set the cat amongst the pigeons! And Froome looks very ... human.

52k to go in today's stage - some sharp climbs, should be a cool finish!

jono
Visit my blog!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:39 pm

Sky really got the job done today, Aru was floundering in no man's land!

jono
Visit my blog!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:04 pm

jonovision_man wrote:Sky really got the job done today, Aru was floundering in no man's land!

Where is the rest of Astana? They're doing nothing to support Aru and defend the jersey. What's up with that?

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:43 pm

La wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:Sky really got the job done today, Aru was floundering in no man's land!

Where is the rest of Astana? They're doing nothing to support Aru and defend the jersey. What's up with that?

They all crashed lol
Visit my blog!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:26 pm

Kittel out... :( The green jersey is cursed this year!

jono
Visit my blog!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:18 pm

27 seconds separating the top 3... Aru within a minute too... pretty amazing. Froome has looked sharp but not crazy amazing, picking up smart seconds here and there. The time trial should be his by a lot so he just has to tread water now.

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 73:27:26
2 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Cannondale-Drapac 0:00:27
3 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:27
4 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:53
5 Mikel Landa (Spa) Team Sky 0:01:24
6 Daniel Martin (Irl) Quick-Step Floors 0:02:37
7 Simon Yates (GBr) Orica-Scott 0:04:07
8 Louis Meintjes (RSA) UAE Team Emirates 0:06:35
9 Alberto Contador (Spa) Trek-Segafredo 0:07:45
10 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Sunweb 0:08:52

And tomorrow.........
jono
Visit my blog!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:07 am

My friend and her dad were on the Galibier yesterday, 2K from the summit. I saw them on TV! :) It wasn't hard to spot them because I knew where they were going to be standing and their group was dressed in costume.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:57 pm

La wrote:My friend and her dad were on the Galibier yesterday, 2K from the summit. I saw them on TV! :) It wasn't hard to spot them because I knew where they were going to be standing and their group was dressed in costume.

They weren't the bare bums, we're they?? ;)

Froome should have this in the bag, pretty good battle for rest of podium though. Aru got his karma for that lame attack.

jono
Visit my blog!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:30 pm

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 78:08:19
2 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:23
3 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Cannondale-Drapac 0:00:29
4 Mikel Landa (Spa) Team Sky 0:01:36
5 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:01:55
6 Daniel Martin (Irl) Quick-Step Floors 0:02:56
7 Simon Yates (GBr) Orica-Scott 0:04:46
8 Louis Meintjes (RSA) UAE Team Emirates 0:06:52
9 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Sunweb 0:08:22
10 Alberto Contador (Spa) Trek-Segafredo 0:08:34

Top 5 within 2mins of each other, pretty unreal.

Also pretty epic leg picture
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWshQ0FhGhY/

Ouch. Gross.

jono
Visit my blog!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:03 am

Ho hum, Froome won.

TT was a bit anti-climactic, unless watching Bardet put in a horrific time-trial floats your boat! Almost dropped himself right off the podium, just barely saved it by 1 second..... :dance:

Final Standings

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 86:20:55
2 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Cannondale-Drapac 0:00:54
3 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:02:20
4 Mikel Landa (Spa) Team Sky 0:02:21
5 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:03:05
6 Daniel Martin (Irl) Quick-Step Floors 0:04:42
7 Simon Yates (GBr) Orica-Scott 0:06:14
8 Louis Meintjes (RSA) UAE Team Emirates 0:08:20
9 Alberto Contador (Spa) Trek-Segafredo 0:08:49
10 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Sunweb 0:09:25

jono
Visit my blog!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:08 am

jonovision_man wrote:Ho hum, Froome won.

Ditto.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:53 pm

I have always found inspiration in the break aways rather than the GC or even to a lessor degree, the other sub categories. I really start to get interested after the first week and when some heroic solo effort wins a stage. After watching for years, last year I bought my first real road bike in decades. And this year, the Tour had me tackling 100 K "fun" solo rides with some hills that scared me a little. As an added bonus, I own two Giant Bikes and so it was a pleasant and unexpected surprise to have some skin in the game. Although tame by "real" cyclist standards, I should pass 1,000 K for this month and have been inspired to do a 152 and then a 160 K ride in September. I absolutely love the role and inspiration of the domestique and after reading a couple of books on the topic, found even greater motivation in watching them this year. The commentators are first class and I have even picked up a few technical tips watching. Spain could be very interesting this year.

Return to “The Dark Side”