Maniac Convention Race Report by Dani Diamond (long one)

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Dani
Jerome Drayton

Maniac Convention Race Report by Dani Diamond (long one)

Postby Dani » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:22 pm

What a blast!!!
My weekend starts Friday night... I had planned for my husband and son to go with me to the race but I got home from work Friday night to my son's high fever and sore tummy. Part of me wanted to cancel the whole thing and stay home with my little Spencer but, I found a way to go to Saint John! Husband (Aaron) stayed home because running isn't really his thing anyway and the thought of being stuck at Old Navy on top of that, well, a sick kid was an easy way out for him really! So I called a girlfriend (who likes to shop) on Saturday morning and said the hotel, gas, and supper were on me, "Pack your bag!!I need a cheerleader!" So we're off!
We get to Saint John at 1pm or so and head straight to Old Navy where I accidently made my credit card smoke :shock: :oops: . $350 later... we RACED to the Aquatic centre to pick up my kit as we are to meet the maniacs at 4pm. Got to the hotel, walked right past Brendan, and put our stuff in the room. We all met in the entrance and were off to supper. The food was great. The ice cream sandwiches were even better!
After supper, Jenn and I did a little more marathon shopping. I got new shoes!!!! Asic Gel Cumulus, I am so excited!!
We went back to the hotel at about 8 pm and I went down to Brendan's room to see if he wanted to join us for some "wobbly pop" and nachos. We were on the hunt for great nachos so we went to 3 different places (had 3 pints of beer each) ate nachos and went back to the hotel at about 1 pm. We were all a little tipsy but I think the beer actually helped me to sleep! Then at 4am my watch alarm went off! SO I got up and turned it off. Then at 4:05 it went again! And 4:10 and 4:15! Finally, I got so fed up with it I put the damn thing in a couch cushion in the hall way!
Got up at 610, had a shower, drank water, all the regular stuff. At 7 I went down to make sure Brendan got up (just in case) We all wandered anxiously around and then Boom! we were off! I ran with Melissa for over 3 miles. What a hilly course! But I felt great! She stopped to pee so I went off on my own. Turned on the MP3 player and started passing people left and right! I felt great! It was a much better race than my last one. Still waiting for my time but when I remembered to turn off my stop watch it was at 48 minutes and change so I am excited to see the official number.
Jenn and I then went to about a minutes run from the finish line and cheered everyone on. Telling them they only had about a minute left and not to stop! I hope I helped some people... I got to cheer John on, then a friend from work, then I saw Melissa coming. I ran with her up the last hill. I held her hand and dragged her a few metres and then she was OFF like a shot and left me ion her dust to cross the finish line!!! Way to go girl!
Back to our spot go Jenn and I. The first marathoner came in, then the second a bit later, then the third.... but Jacob has the rest of THAT story! I don't want to give away any surprises... :wink:
I used to run. All the time.
Now? Notsomuch.
I'm still a runner, though.
Life is fluid and ever changing. I am too.

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:32 pm

that's great Dani! congrats!!!!!!

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:55 pm

Wow. I assume you did the 10k, but you went from a 61 min in may to sub 48??? That's an insane improvement. Anything special that you did in your training?

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:07 pm

kzod wrote:Wow. I assume you did the 10k, but you went from a 61 min in may to sub 48??? That's an insane improvement. Anything special that you did in your training?

That would be amazing, but no, it was a 5-mile race.

Good work, Dani. Sounds like you guys had a great time.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:39 pm

Way to knock the time off, Dani

Well Done

Scott

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:17 pm

So here is the official stuff...
It was the 5 miler BTW...
Chip time: 49:20
Time per km: 6:15 (exactly the same as when I run a flat course so overall, my time has improved!)
I placed 199/536 and 23/97 for my age group

I am very pleased with my results! Today was (for me) a PB! How many points for that? he he
I used to run. All the time.
Now? Notsomuch.
I'm still a runner, though.
Life is fluid and ever changing. I am too.

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:31 pm

Way to go!!!!

Keep Charging Dani!!

Stephan

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:20 pm

Nice report & great results!!!
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:45 pm

great job, Dani, and congrats on the PB!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:17 pm

Way to go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:02 am

Wow! Not only did you PB, but sounds like you had ALOT of funny doing it...that's whats just as important!

Great job!!
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:30 am

Awsome run!!!!!!!!

How is your little guy feeling?

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

RunDiva
Bill Crothers

Postby RunDiva » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:37 am

Way to go Dani!
Congrats on the PB at the race and at Old Navy. :wink:

Return to “Run/Race Reports”