Houston RR from a new member

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Strider
Jerome Drayton

Houston RR from a new member

Postby Strider » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:17 pm

Seeing I am the new kid on the block, I thought as part of introductions I would post my Houston Marathon RR. My wife was with me and ran the 5k. We had just the best weekend... This was posted on Trirudy too, so it may be a repeat performance for some of you.....

Houston Marathon RR

Summary:
1st Half - (1:43:44)
2nd Half - (1:42:45) (1 minute negative split)
Finish: (3:26:29) (PR by 23 minutes and a BQ)

Well I guess this report really starts back in September, when on one fateful morning, I was forced to walk 3km home at 5:00 in the morning due to a re-occurring injury. It was then that I decided that I need to change things. So I hung up the shoes and called for help. After about a month I was back running again, however things were different. I was strengthening, stretching, doing proper warm-ups & cool downs, my distance and speed was returning.

A late October 10k, where I set a PR by 1 minute was the icing on the cake and it was then that I decided to run Houston. I put together an aggressive 10 week training schedule and hit the streets. Thanks to our warm late fall/early winter I was able to get in all the training and finished December with my both my longest week and month of training.

So off to Houston, my wife accompanied me down, and was running the 5k. We arrived on Friday around noon, doing the expo that afternoon. We loved the expo – really well organized, nice freebies / deals and a fun atmosphere. Saturday was spent eating bagels and drinking water and watching TV. We did the Pasta Dinner, not too exciting, but met a couple of nice guys from London, Ontario

We had been watching the Ice Storm hitting the mid-west and were praying it stayed away. Race morning did not disappoint, cloudy and cool (mid-50’s), light winds, perfect day for a nice long run with a few thousand friends.

My plan was to run the way we are all told to run a Marathon, start slow, pick up the pace, hit the 20 mile mark and push to the end. I ran the first two miles, about 30 seconds/per off my goal pace, and then started to get into the grove. The course was perfect as far as I was concerned. Little ups and downs, rights and lefts, enough to keep the legs interested, but not enough to really trouble you. The crowds were everywhere, I got blessed, high-five’d people, danced to YMCA, basically had a ton of fun. I wore a shirt with the Canadian Flag on it and got more “Go Canada” yells than I could ever hope to count. The wall never came. I hit the 20 mile mark feeling pretty much the same as at Mile 13. Gel’s and Hydration were spot on and no stomach issues. At around mile 24, I knew I was going to get my goal of Sub 3:30 and my BQ, the question was by how much. I just stayed focused and kept the leg turn-over going.

In all my training I have tried to visualize what I would feel, and how I would react when I crossed the finish of a race like this. Having known I would hit my goal a couple miles before the end, I wasn’t quite feeling that elated until I saw my wife, just before the finish. She had been getting the updates, and knew I was on pace, but after 20 mile as we know anything can happen. When I saw her, she was screaming and jumping up and down, “You did it, You did it”, it was then I knew deep inside what I had accomplished. I crossed the finish line, did a little dance, and let the recovery and the celebration begin.
I was so overjoyed, and then after meeting my wife I found out she had run a 3 minute PR in the 5k, placing 4th in her age group (I am so proud), we both really had something to celebrate.

Split Times..
M1: 8:26
M2: 8:23
M3: 7:58
M4: 7:54
M5: 7:49
M6: 7:31
M7: 7:46
M8: 7:44
M9: 7:44
M10: 7:48
M11: 7:53
M12: 7:59
M13: 7:56
M14-15: 15:39
M16-17: 15:38
M18: 7:55
M19: 7:45
M20: 7:46
M21: 7:41
M22: 7:45
M23: 7:50
M24: 7:56 (YMCA Dance)
M25-26.2 17:38

For me this was the Perfect Race on the Perfect Day. I could not imagine ever running a better and more enjoyable Marathon – This one is a keeper. Boston 2008, I will be there.

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:35 pm

Great report!! Thanks
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:42 pm

I thought your intro was familiar - I'd read your report on TriRudy earlier!

Congrats on the race!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:44 pm

Great report - Thanks!
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:44 pm

Great report!!! :D

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:46 pm

Nicely done Strider...

Wow to be able to run that consistently.. (even throwing in a little Village People :wink: ) Is a dream for me.

Congrats to both you & your wife for what seems to have been a very good trip for both of you!
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:47 pm

Congrats on the BQ and the PB!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:53 pm

What a joyous report. One I can relate to because when I ran Toronto International I had an unusual (for me) calm feeling throughout the race...I had a strategy to BQ for 2008 and I carried out the plan...sounds very much like your approach.

But...I didn't dance at the Finish Line...I cried...and had to reassure two volunteers I was crying with joy...not pain :D

Congrats to your wife on her PB...awesome!

Happy trails to the two of you :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:12 pm

Awesome report, and congrats on the BQ!

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:57 pm

It's nice to know someone had a "perfect" marathon. That's great, especially when all that training just falls into place and the finish line clock says what it should!!! There'll be a bunch of us maniacs in Beantown next year.....

Congrats on running a smart race and meeting your goals.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:58 pm

Wow, great job!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:05 pm

Awesome job!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

SusanD
Bill Crothers

Postby SusanD » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:14 pm

Fantastic! Congrat's on your BQ!!
Done: Full 2, 30k 2, 25k 1, Half 11, 13k 2, 10k 2, 8k 1, 5k 20 ...
Hmmm... this needs an update!

Stella
Bruce Kidd

Postby Stella » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:39 pm

Congrats Strider! Great report for what sounds like the ultimate marathon experience! Best of luck in your training and run of Boston 2008!
"Decision Must Be Instant...
Commitment Must Be Total."
-blazeman

2010: Qualifying for Boston and NYC at the Wineglass Marathon
2011: Running all 5 of the major marathons for Acquired Brain Injury and Leonard Cheshire Disability
London Marathon: April 17th
Boston Marathon: April 18th
Berlin Marathon: September 25th
Chicago Marathon: October 11th
New York City Marathon: November 6th

Return to “Run/Race Reports”