My much delayed Philly Report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Stella
Bruce Kidd

My much delayed Philly Report

Postby Stella » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:43 am

Reading Brendan's Vegas report gave me the inspiration I needed to get my Philly RR done, so thanks to Brendan for pulling me out from the darkside.

As many of you know, I had my challenges in my training for Philadelphia, and while I had been hoping for a PB, due to my recent ankle injury, I had scaled my goal down to completing under 3:45, my BQ time. It was with this goal in mind that I packed my bags, loaded up my Mini and headed down to the city of brotherly love.

Usually I like to stay within walking distance of the start line, but I had left my accommodation arrangements to what some would consider, the last minute, and had to settle for a B&B in the historic sector, just over 4km from the start. It looked farther on the map, but in the end, it ended up being a short city bus ride and walk, which I ended up using as my warm-up. Perfect.

Saturday was the Sports Expo. I had thought Philadelphia was a bigger marathon than it was, and hadn't been prepared for how small the expo was. There were some of the token booths, Asics, New Balance, Cliffbar etc, but the majority of them were advertisements for other marathons. Ottawa NC was there, but noone was manning the booth. I took that personally! The highlight of the expo for me was the Starbucks booth handing out free samples of lattes....now if only there had been a Stella booth.

Although, when asked the question "So what time are you aiming for" I had been answering that I would be happy with anything under 3:45, in the back of my mind I was still secretly hoping for a PB. The Cliff bar pace team was going to have a 3:20 runner, so I picked up my pace bracelet, and got all the necessary details I needed to hook up with the group the next morning. I'm nothing if not hopeful and optimistic.

I spent the remainder of the day, doing some window shopping, resting, hydrating and eating Philly pretzels. I decided this year to change up my pre-race routine and opted to run in the shoes I had been training in, and eat Pasta Bolognese for dinner. I stuck to my glass of red though, but that's because I'm very weak when it comes to red wine.

Start time was 08:30. I woke up at 06:00, ate a banana and drank a grande Starbuck's latte. I don't know where my head was, but it was after 07:00 before I realized I hadn't been drinking any water. I grabbed a bottle from the room, downed 2 Tylenol 8hrs and headed to the bus station.

The start was much the same as at any marathon. Lots of runners, long lines for the washrooms, hustling and bustling. Idle chitchat...I spent the majority of my time in line for a port-a-pottie, so took advantage of that time to do my stretching. Maybe it was the Tylenol 8hr kicking in, but I felt completely relaxed. This was just going to be another long run. No big deal.

With 5 minutes to the start, I weaved my way through the crowd and sidled up to the 3:20 pace guy. They played the National anthem, gave the wheelchair athletes a headstart, and then blew the horn. This was it. We were off. There was no turning back now.

Overall the course if flat, with a couple of rolling hills around the halfway point. It winds it's way through one of Philly's beautiful parks and then along the Schuylkill river, where if you're feeling up to it, you can gaze upon the beautiful boat houses.

Although I don't remember the details of the course, I do remember running through the Financial district where the road was incredibly bumpy and I worried that I might twist my ankle. I spent most of that time looking down. I also remember seeing my Cliffshot pacer take his first cliff shot, and I had a surge of panic that I didn't have any. Where had they said they would be handing them out? Mile 15, Mile 17? I couldn't remember. As it turns out, I saw one by chance at mile 22. I grabbed it, and spent the next 3 or 4 minutes trying to open it, only to be absolutely sickened by the flavour. Noted to myself, next marathon, I'm bringing my own Carboom!

At the 1/2 way point I felt great and started to pick up the pace, only to be called back by the pace guy warning to watch my pace, and be careful of kicking too soon. Good point. There will be lots of time for kicking, no need to be cocky now. I did end up picking it up at the 19 mile mark, more so to get ahead of this annoying guy who was whistling to his Border collie the whole time. I came pretty close to belting him and usually I'm quite passive! With 2 miles to go, I happened upon 2 women, and for the first time in the marathon, my competitive streak kicked in. We battled it back and forth for a mile and a half, and with 800m to go, I found myself behind them. I remember talking to myself, saying Heather, why do you succumb so easily? Suck it up. There will be plenty of time for resting later. So I did. I put the pain in my hamstring and ankle out of mind. Luckily, my lungs still felt good, so I fixed my form, pumped my arms and ran hard. I passed those 2 girls along with a few other people (men, that didn't matter so much to me) and at the base of the famous Art museum where Rocky Balboa ran up the stairs in his training, I crossed that finish mat with my arms in the air in triumph and a big fat smile on my face. Truly the highlight of my running career.

Numbers:

Chiptime: 3:17:32 (PB!)
Official: 3:18:06
Overall: 602/5934
Division: 13/344

How did I celebrate? With a Stella and an authentic Philly Steak & Cheese of course!

Thanks for reading.

Heather
Last edited by Stella on Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Decision Must Be Instant...
Commitment Must Be Total."
-blazeman

2010: Qualifying for Boston and NYC at the Wineglass Marathon
2011: Running all 5 of the major marathons for Acquired Brain Injury and Leonard Cheshire Disability
London Marathon: April 17th
Boston Marathon: April 18th
Berlin Marathon: September 25th
Chicago Marathon: October 11th
New York City Marathon: November 6th

dgrant1
Bruce Kidd

Postby dgrant1 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:49 am

Fantastic! :wink:
Next up:

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:50 am

Congratulations Heather,

Amazing time. Great report and PB to boot.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:58 am

wow! that's quite the race and report! and you are super fast! i am so glad you are on our CTRR team! congratulations on such a great race all around!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Madame Bourette
Jerome Drayton

Postby Madame Bourette » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:10 am

Wow, you rock! :D

PB and BQ. A perfect race! 8)
"Ok, j'vais l'faire le maudit Ironman!" North of Hélène, Dec 15, 2008.

Running Mania moderator-in-training

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:13 am

Congratulations, Heather ... You were smokin' in Philly .... :twisted:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:14 am

Awsome!!!! I can't wait to be as quick as you!! Well done!!

Stephan

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:18 am

Wow!!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Marvin Martian
Bruce Kidd

Postby Marvin Martian » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:21 am

Incredible race, and a great report! Wow, going from just being happy with anything under 3:45 to pulling off a 3:17 is amazing! I am in awe.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:27 am

Great race, Heather. Those PBs are often the easiest races because they feel so smooth. Well, as smooth as it can get in a 42K race. It's clear you can still feel that tingle and rush even after all the post-marathon trauma. Congrats on a well-earned and well-deserved PB. Looking good to kick some hills in Cape Breton......

MoeMan
Bruce Kidd

Postby MoeMan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:39 am

Thanx for the great read, I enjoyed it with my morning coffee & bagel.

M :D E
"Every time you miss a run, the Baby Jesus cries..." Dave Grant

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:54 am

Thanks for taking the time to share, especially with the tough times you and your family are going through right now.

Congratulations for a super race in the circumstances. It is easy (and somewhat silly) to say it now, but maybe your ankle injury was a blessing as it forced you your mind away from stressing about the PB and more about just enjoying the race.

Are you planning to run Boston? We need to boost the female representaion among maniacs.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:01 pm

Amazing story Heather.

The picture I have of that smiley friendly hottie sitting across from me at the Lonestar doesn't jive with this speed demon you just described.

You are truly amazing Heather.

Jacc

RunDiva
Bill Crothers

Postby RunDiva » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:06 pm

Outstanding job!!!You are a real speedster!

Congratulations.

Lisa

runlikeagirl
Bill Crothers

Postby runlikeagirl » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:20 pm

great report and wow, amazing time!
Angela
----------------
"I just felt like running" - Forrest Gump

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:46 pm

Fab report Heather and a great race too. I can only hope to ever be as speedy as you.

Well worth the wait to read, and I hope that things are still progressing well with your sister.

Tracy
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:21 pm

Great job Stella :D
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:21 pm

I'd be willing to bet that is one of the 100 fastest marathon times for a Canadian woman this year.

Congrats again Heather!

da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:23 pm

Congrats Heather! That’s a smokin’ time!

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:48 pm

Truely amazing time Heather, really. Great RR too. Congrats, you should be very proud.

Can't wait to see you in action in the highlands!
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:56 pm

WOW, Heather. You kicked that course. Great time, great report.

Scott
Next Up:
Just get through the next year without more setbacks
Proud Supporter of our Troops Overseas

Stella
Bruce Kidd

Postby Stella » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:44 pm

Bebette wrote:Are you planning to run Boston? We need to boost the female representaion among maniacs.

Considering I've registered for the Charlottesville, VA already which is April 15th, I can be pretty sure I am not planning to run Boston in 2006...although I may regret it in April...there's just something about Boston.

You can bet however, that I will run Charlottesville, sporting my maniac shirt with pride. You are truly a beautiful group of people, and a great inspiration. Thanks so much for all your kind words of support and encouragement! 8)

H.
"Decision Must Be Instant...
Commitment Must Be Total."
-blazeman

2010: Qualifying for Boston and NYC at the Wineglass Marathon
2011: Running all 5 of the major marathons for Acquired Brain Injury and Leonard Cheshire Disability
London Marathon: April 17th
Boston Marathon: April 18th
Berlin Marathon: September 25th
Chicago Marathon: October 11th
New York City Marathon: November 6th

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:16 pm

Congratulations Stella! You've had a tough time training and you ran an incredible race. I am in awe of your speed! Way to go.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

SusanD
Bill Crothers

Postby SusanD » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:18 pm

WOW. Now that's spectacular. Congratulations!
Done: Full 2, 30k 2, 25k 1, Half 11, 13k 2, 10k 2, 8k 1, 5k 20 ...
Hmmm... this needs an update!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:25 pm

All I can say is : WOW....You Rocked Baby!!

The race report was worth waiting for...and considering your family situation at this time...very kind of you to post this...because as you know Race Reports are very motivating for us...especially as we head into cold winter weather training.

You are An Awesome Athlete!!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Return to “Run/Race Reports”