Bingerunner in Fargo

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
BingeRunner
Johnny Miles

Bingerunner in Fargo

Postby BingeRunner » Sun May 10, 2009 9:33 pm

Due to flooding on the Red River, the marathon course had to be changed for this year. Essentially it was a 13 mile out and back route with a little loop near the end. So that means…if I signed up for the full…you’ve got to be kidding...Twice?! Yup. Oh well, if you gotta, you gotta. It turned out to be not as horrendous as I thought it might be, there were lots of places where runners were going both ways which meant that I got to see most of the group that I had traveled down with.

The morning started with the short drive to the Fargodome which is a nice facility where they hold all sorts of events from concerts to University football games. The weather was overcast, about 2 degrees C with a slight north wind. After hanging out inside for a while (stretching and peeing), we went to the starting corrals to drop off our dry clothes at the UPS vans (hoping the it would absolutely, positively get to the finish line- which happened to be at the Dome, 100 meters away) . My friend Pam (Prairiekid) and I decided to do a warm-up run, so we ran south along the route for a few blocks. I had decided to wear shorts, a t-shirt and a long sleeve over top and it seemed to feel a tad warm until we turned around and ran back into the wind, now I felt a tad underdressed.

My race goal was to beat my Las Vegas time which was 3:21. I was hoping that I could do 3:15, but I would be happy with anywhere in that range so I seeded myself between the 3:20 and the 3:10’s. The race began with the wheelchair participants followed by the elites (there where a few Kenyans in the field). A few minutes later the horn sounded and we were off. The first mile and a half was spent weaving through the crowd (seriously people, you are in front of me and that is not a 7:15 pace). My first mile was 8:12 and the second was 7:56. The crowd began to thin a bit as the course went through residential sections with tall oak trees. Crowd support was excellent, with bands, cheerleaders, and people with cowbells (more cowbell please). My next three miles were 6:51 (oops better slow it down buddy), 6:59 (just a little more), and 7:01. This was faster than I wanted but it felt right so I went with it. We proceeded into the historic downtown and then into another residential section before turning at mile 6 to head back to the start…right; I have to do this again. As I go back through downtown I can see the 3:10 pace group so I slowly get about 20 meters behind them and slow into their rhythm. The pace feels good so with delusions of grandeur I lay out the plan in my head. Since I started after them and my first few miles were quicker, if I stick with this group until mile 25, I can move ahead of them if I feel ok and come in sub 3:10.

The next 7 miles go by, the pace bunny is bang on his times, 7:15 miles all the way. Up ahead I see the Fargodome and the signs directing the runners into two groups, the almost there and the still going (my words, not theirs)… right; I have to do this again. At mile 14 I see Pam coming towards me. She is looking very good and she gives me a smile and a wave. Pretty soon I see my wife Karen (KBO), who high fives me as we pass, and my friend Warren. Running the loop a second time is not too bad, some parts are familiar, other parts are not and that makes for some variety. I finally have to give in and take a pee break, which goes on much longer than expected- or desired (c’mon, c’mon). I see the pace group up ahead so I try to keep them in my sights on the straight-aways. I can feel my pace slowing, 7:16, 7:21 and I know that my previous prediction is not going to happen, but I feel that if I can just keep running, I can make it under 3:20. I would like to stop but I tell myself not to. The only other race that I did not take any walk breaks was Vegas and that was my time to beat so I keep pushing. The last time I check my pace is at Mile 23 and it is 8:52. No point pressing that stupid button anymore.

My legs feel like boards and I know I am almost there. I see the roof of the dome through some trees before it disappears as I turn the corner. So close…so close. I hurt and my right hand is cold (my left is fine…kinda weird). I see the 13 mile loop split and think, I don’t have to do THAT again, as I make my way around to the north side of the Fargodome where I enter down the ramp towards the finish line. There are lots of people in the stands and the cheers feel good. I look at the clock and it reads 3:18 something. I know that I have a few seconds on it from my chip time so I give a last little push and cross with a chip time of 3:18:02. I find out later that I finish 86th overall. After some post race food and a massage, I meet up with my posse and head back to the hotel for a well deserved beer and a nap.

I know that I have a 3:10 marathon in me but my next goal is to go sub 1:30 for a half marathon ( I ran a 1:30:08 at the Winnipeg Police Services half earlier this month) which will hopefully be in a month when I run in the Manitoba Marathon.

endurox
Tom Longboat

Postby endurox » Sun May 10, 2009 9:53 pm

Awesome run Steve! I had a real good feeling you would PR here but never said anything as I did not want to jinx you. I think the Police Half that you just ran FIVE days earlier helped you relax and work out any kinks. Sounds like a tough course with having to see the same things and knowing that you have to do it again. Bravo for your mental strength. I am so happy for you that it all came together. Your running is so consistent, there is no doubt you will achieve sub 3:10 and below! Enjoy some R&R.
PS, hash run will only be 2 miles tomorrow :)
9 Marathons/6 Boston Qualifiers
PR 3:36
Next Major Race:Chicago Marathon 2010
http://startinglines.blog.com/
"Mind is everything: muscle - pieces of rubber. All that I am, I am because of my mind."
- Paavo Nurmi

Mouse
Bill Crothers

Postby Mouse » Sun May 10, 2009 10:09 pm

Congrats Stevie. I've been waiting for this report with baited breath. When Cathy dropped me off yesterday after the Physio run there was a text from Karen so I knew your time. Way to go great job. Hope the drive bck wasn't too uncomfortable. Proud of you man!!!!!!
Mouse
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter. - Mark Twain

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sun May 10, 2009 10:21 pm

Excellent!

I owe you a congratulatory hug ;).

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Mon May 11, 2009 12:30 am

Way to go Steve! I can't imagine a double out and back for a marathon....
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

clocker
Bill Crothers

Wonderful Fargo

Postby clocker » Mon May 11, 2009 12:47 am

Nice results Steve. Well done and congratulations.
Cheers! Ian
Hostility is a psychic boomerang

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon May 11, 2009 6:30 am

Congrats on a awesome run, Steve .. lookin' forward to seeing you smash thar course in Winnipeg in June .... :P :twisted:

well, more like me hearing about it, as I will be most likely just seeing your back side for the first say, 100m at the start of the race ... :lol: :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Mon May 11, 2009 6:41 am

Holy frig, that's fantastic Steve. Huge virtual hug my friend. I can't believe I won't see you guys next month, but even more surprising is where did a year go...

You are going to exceed your goals, I just know it!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon May 11, 2009 7:27 am

bravo, Steve - well done!!!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

roadrunner
Tom Longboat

GREAT JOB

Postby roadrunner » Mon May 11, 2009 10:29 am

Ihave to admit I was a little surprised you were not faster. But you did run a half marathon 5 days before.

I am sure you will easily go under 1:30 for the half in Manitoba Marathon. Hopefully I will be right with you. :lol:

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Mon May 11, 2009 10:39 am

You are awesome and when you came into the FargoDome you looked like it was just so easy for you!!!

Way to go!!! I love you bro!
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Mon May 11, 2009 11:16 am

Sounds like you left it all on the course - congrats on the result, and good luck with the upcoming half!
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Mon May 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Great run--congrats! Good luck with your other races... :D 8)
Louise

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Mon May 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Way to go man! Next time save the mojito shots for AFTER the race, and you might not have to pee so long! :lol:
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Mon May 11, 2009 8:53 pm

Congratulations! A double loop must be so difficult to run! :D
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Mon May 11, 2009 9:03 pm

Great result, congratulations.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Mon May 11, 2009 9:26 pm

I think it was the mojito shots in the morning that helped you have your best marathon time ever. :wink: I think we discovered a new pre-race routine.

Or maybe it was the pre-race dance party?

What a great weekend. I was so happy for you when you ran in that stadium. Matter of fact, I was screaming so loud and jumping up and down so much that these are your finish lines pics. Sorry about that. :oops:

Man oh man...I took some crappy pictures this weekend.

BingeRunner
Johnny Miles

Postby BingeRunner » Mon May 11, 2009 10:38 pm

I think the picture quality is linked exponentially to the mojito consumption.

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Thu May 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Wow, Steve that's fast. great time :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Albertatraildog
Bruce Kidd

Postby Albertatraildog » Thu May 14, 2009 10:05 pm

That's pretty fast! Great race!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”