CTRR 2009 Leg 4 Who Smoked Whom?

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
drghfx
Abby Hoffman

CTRR 2009 Leg 4 Who Smoked Whom?

Postby drghfx » Mon May 25, 2009 6:48 pm

CTRR wrote: The first 9 km are continuous easy ups & downs but the best is yet to come. You must now climb Cape Smokey which is 2.1 km of extremely steep grade. For distraction there is a wonderful ocean view and you may even spot a whale! Relax for the steep downhill on the way to the finish. A couple more hills will take you to the finish at Cape Smokey Ski Lodge on the left.

Nick wrote: Leg 4 is Smokey and can be a killer if it is hot (it's run at noon) or if there is a 30mph headwind (the year I ran it)

My goal was to try and hit the mat which meant I had to maintain a 6:00 min./k pace. It was an aggressive goal because the closest I've come in the past three times I've run a leg at CTRR was a 6:09 pace on an easier leg and my longest run ever was about 18k. Leg 4 is 20.1! However this year training went pretty well and reasonably injury-free so I thought it was a possiblity. ...ummm...wrong!

I had my race plan set up to try and hit the mat. I knew I had to run pretty hard the first 9k to bank some time since the 2.1k uphill was going to take me a lot longer than a 6:00 min/k pace. However the risk I ran was not having enough energy once I got to the bottom of the hill to push hard up the hill. Once I got to the top I would have to push hard down the hill to make up some time and try to hang on to the end.

It did not start off well. I was at what I thought was the start line and chatting with some teammates when Bicycle.boy said " Ummm...Dennis, shouldn't you be up there?" I turn around and see about 30 meters ahead of me the race had already started. "Je**s!" Off I go. I hit my watch a few seconds after the race had started but still 15-20 meters before I get to the start line.

I manage to pass a couple of folks just so I'm not in last. I was pushing fairly hard but having a great time. It was sunny and about 18 degrees. I get to the 5k water station feeling pretty good but ever mindful I had a honking big mountain to run up. The next four k the legs starting feeling a little heavy but I kept pushing pretty hard but trying to leave something in the tank. The water station team at the base of Smokey were jokingly selling fresh legs! I told them I wanted two pairs and I wanted to return the pair I had! I hit the base of Smokey and ran the first 30 meters or so up the hill before I decided to start walking. It is a steep hill and it took its toll fairly quickly when I tried to run it. I thought that I would walk until I hit a flat spot and then I would run. I found out there are no flat spots going up the hill- AT ALL - ANY WHERE!. I tried running for another 30 meters or so and decided to walk again. There was a woman about 50 meters ahead of me and she was running. I was walking and catching her so I decided to just keep walking. She started to walk and I got fairly close to her. I decided to run a bit to catch up with her and talk to her. When she heard me get close she started to run again and I decided to walk. She quickly decided to start walking again and I got along side of her and talked about how hard the hill was. She was walking slower than me so I just kept walking faster until I got close to the top. I guess I ran once again because there are pictures of me running! Once I got to the top I starting running down hill as hard as I could to try and make up some time. The downhill portion wasn't as steep as I has envisioned but it also wasn't as short as I had envisioned. I pushed hard until I got to the second last hill. It was steeper and longer than I had anticipated. I ran just short of where Robert was to support me and had to walk up to him. I drank some liquids and kept walking up the hill. I think this was the hill that cost me most of my time. Once I got to the top I ran again to the finish line, which ended on a little hill.

I hit my watch around where I thought thte mat might have been but I probably ran by the spot by a few meters. Because I missed the official start and the official end my watch isn't completely accurate but my time was certainly not any longer than what I got and probably 5-10 seconds faster than what I got. My watch time was 2:03:54 for 20.1 k. My longest distance ever! My officail time, which is the slowest runner to hit the mat plus 5 minutes, is 2:04:55. I was ranked 68 out of 70 runners, but 3 of us were given the same time and I finished ahead of three people, so I did actually finish 67th. This leg draws a lot of pretty good runners (except for me! ;>)). I would have finished a few spots higher with my pace on some of the easier legs.

Robert and Emma (I think someone else was with them but I didn't notice who! My apologies!) did a great job supporting me. They were there by the side of the road many times with water and gatorade to give to me. It helped me a lot!

This year we had a great team with a bunch of new folks. They all blended in seamlessly and we all had great runs. We had a fantasic time! I'm looking forward to next year already. I'd love to give Leg 4 another shot but probably never during an offical CTRR. I have other legs I want to run and there are many others who want to give Smokey a shot. However, maybe some day if you are driving the Cabot Trail and see some lone idiot running up Smokey in July it might just be me trying it again!

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon May 25, 2009 7:03 pm

You did great, Dennis.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

MrsStrider
Bill Crothers

Postby MrsStrider » Mon May 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Boy, that leg sounds really challenging Dennis! Congrats on your longest distance EVER. You should be proud of that. It must have been awesome just being at Cabot. Well done. :clap:
Mrs. Strider :)
.....What I can't do is ALL in my Head. What I CAN do is ALL in my Heart.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon May 25, 2009 7:45 pm

Nicely done, Dennis .... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Mon May 25, 2009 8:16 pm

Nice effort out there man!
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Mon May 25, 2009 8:41 pm

This sounds like one h@ll of a race.

Congratulations Dennis! That sounds like a tough leg and running your longest distance at that ta boot! :D
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Tue May 26, 2009 11:08 am

What do you mean "and then another hill, and another hill..."? Isn't it just one damned big hill?! ;)

You rocked that mountain. :) You'll never catch me on that leg!
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Tue May 26, 2009 11:46 am

That sounds like a tough course, and you almost hit the mat at the end!

Congrats on a good run and your longest ever!
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

Lonerunner
Bill Crothers

Postby Lonerunner » Tue May 26, 2009 11:46 am

Congrats on becoming one of "Smokey's Girls." :wink:

Well worth the 4hr drive to see you climb Smokey. excellent run!

Maybe we should take a road trip, I'd like to try Smokey again someday.
-Lisa

To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue May 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Congratulations! And a new longest distance? Wow - well done!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: CTRR 2009 Leg 4 Who Smoked Whom?

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue May 26, 2009 2:19 pm

drghfx wrote:.... It is a steep hill....

Sweetheart...this is the understatement of the year in a Race Report. I've seen Leg 4. It's a friggin Mountain :shock: :wink:

I'm really proud of you......go and have a beer.. heck....have two or three on me :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue May 26, 2009 10:33 pm

Great run, Dennis. It's just one hill, how tough can it be??? Hah! You lucked out in getting a nice hot day to sweat it out on Smokey....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue May 26, 2009 11:25 pm

awesome job, Dennis! I think you smoked it... which doesn't mean you can't go back and smoke it again! lol
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “Run/Race Reports”