Dirty Girl Kicks A$$ - Msdesigner's race report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
msdesigner
Jerome Drayton

Dirty Girl Kicks A$$ - Msdesigner's race report

Postby msdesigner » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:37 pm

Mine!!

The Dirty Plan

My goal was keep moving for 6 hours, be it running, walking or crawling! This was to be a training run for the 25 km at The Toad in October and be a determining factor in my decision to bump up to the 50 km.

The Road to Dirty Girl

My adventure to become a Dirty Girl was a whirlwind trip. It started by dropping Riley off at Cynthia’s place. Having been there 2 weeks earlier, I was relieved to see him settle down quickly without setting off Edgar’s protective big brother role.

After a week of sleepless nights, I spent my nervous energy reviewing elevation charts, race reports and everything DG I could get my hands on. I have never been this discombobulated about a race before. I chocked it up to my whisper goal of running a new trail distance even though I was determined to have this be a training run to test my endurance.

My uneventful drive to the GTA ended in Alliston when I joined a 3 - block lineup of idling cars. Apparently, a practice run of the Potato Festival parade - one float and a police car – was holding up traffic! Finally, I was enroute again but became increasingly unnerved by the rolling landscape around me. Diane, the RD had told me that with the Ottawa area hills I had been training on, their little hills would offer no competition. With all due respect Diane, I beg to differ!:shock:

Oh, What A Night!

Once I arrived at Mansfield, I picked up my race kit and chose a spot in the field to pitch my tent. My neighbors quickly introduced themselves and “hit on” guy assisted me with setting up my tent, inflating my air mattress and offering some history/facts about the event. Although I had arrived later than planned, I set out to walk the course. My curiosity and desire to get away from “hit on “ guy got the better of me. The course was well marked but with no one else out there, the switchbacks were a tad confusing in that I ended up missing 1 km from my walkabout.

A couple of the cute signs that marked the course...

and the first big hill.

I was starving by the time I returned and realized I would have a difficult time preparing my meal. I had no table. OK Sherry, time to improvise. The cooler top looked like a good option. So, the pot of water was set up on the burner stove and just as I turned around to get something from my car, the stove and pot slid off and onto the grass. Yikes! I tried to smother the flames with the lid while my neighbor rushed over to help. We were able to flip the burner over and turn off the gas. Phew, the Dirty Girl Wannabe did not burn down the campsite! :shock:

My neighbors were quick to help me out with one giving me her leftover cooked pasta and the other lent me their table so I could safely use my stove. I was grateful but feeling like an imbecile for not realizing what the logistics would be. :oops:

Oh well, all was good and the camp was settling down for an early night sleep……… all but my one neighbor. Their family arrived at 10:30 and went about setting up their site in the dark and then having a long visit until past midnight. After their earlier kindness, I felt that I couldn’t request quiet from them so instead I passively fumed in frustration inside my tent. Finally, when they shut it down, I realized there was a constant dull roar coming from my other neighbor’s tent. I have since decided that I am done with camping. :x: :wall:

I woke up around 4 am shivering from the dampness. I was sure it had rained but it was only dew. I was able to sleep a bit more but I barely managed 4.5 hours of sleep. When I woke at 6 am, I debated on driving to Alliston for a Tim’s hot coffee and bagel. I was still shivering so the thought of leaving my sleeping bag made me even colder.

So, fast forward to a quickly made breakfast of a cold toasted bagel and carefully prepared coffee, I finally warmed up and was able to smile, laugh and joke with my neighbors and Christy. Ten minutes later, I made my way through the crowd to wish Kevin and “hit on” guy good luck with their races. Just as I turned to move to the back of the pack, Diane yelled out GO! There is no going against hardcore trail runners, so I off I went.

Dude, This Is A Race!!

“Hit on” guy was on me like glue!. He followed me on the single tracks, would slow when I slowed and kept asking me questions. As those who know me, know I typically run by myself. If I start chatting, I don’t stop and then can’t regulate my breathing. I was trying to not let him distract me but I was having a difficult time concentrating on the trail.

When he asked if I would show him the Gatineau Park trails the next time he was in Ottawa, I just about lost it! What? Uh, yeah, …. whatever, just please stop talking to me! I realized that I need to ditch him and since I was running way faster than I planned, I made several comments about needing to hang back to catch my breath. He clearly missed my hints and told me no problem, that he wasn’t going anywhere. :evil:

I managed to ignore him and put some space in between us. But as I was maneuvering through a pretty technical section, he slowed and turned around to say something to me. I noticed this in my upper peripheral vision (?) wondering what he was doing. I quickly glanced up; the next thing I knew, I was flying sideways headed for the dirt. With a thud, I landed on my upper arm and then right hip. F-bombs were dropped. Just as “Hit on” guy began to say something, I yelled at him to go and run his own “f*^*^*^*” race!!! My reaction was clearly intensified by my lack of sleep. :oops:!

I slowly got up and began walking but I hurt, was angry and felt stunned by the fall. Self-doubt crept in quickly and the tears welled up. I felt like turning around…..but I had not even hit the 2 km mark. I decided to let the tears flow until I could rally up my rationale self. By 3 km, I used the adrenaline to power up some hills and rip through the switchbacks but even after a couple of walk breaks, I was not able to get my breathing under control. I was getting whipped by the relentless rolling hills and the multiple twists and turns. I was glad I had walked the course the night before, as I was able to recognize some of the landmarks. My garmin recorded a bit short so I am estimating that I finished the first lap in 1:17:57 at a pace of 7:37. This was much slower than I planned but my hamstring had been aching from the start and other hip and shoulder felt tender after my fall.

Sure, What’s A Few More Pounds?

After calling out my number to my timer, I raced back to my car to switch to my camelback and to grab some fuel before heading out again. Within the first km, I realize what a bad mistake this was. I’ve worn the camelback several times lately but it never felt as heavy nor bounce around as much as it was then. It was at the smallest adjustment so there was nothing I could do. I considered ditching it but I had no place to carry my potatoes and to go without water for 5 km was not an option for me. So, I ran with this stupid thing bouncing around like crazy which definitely slowed my pace.

There were moments when fatigue was close to beating out my desire to continue. The hills seemed longer and higher and the twists felt sharper and more frequent. My hamstring ached constantly and occasionally, when a sharp pain in my anterior knee would strike, I would walk.

About mid way, I realized the valve was leaking and my top and Capris were soaked…… no wonder I felt cold. I was relieved to finally ditch the camelback when I reached the 20 km mark at race central. After a quick personal pit stop and a switch back to the water belt, I was off on again. Lap 2 is estimated at 1:25:31 with a pace of 9:04.

Indecision, Frustration and Exhaustion

This is what I felt for the entire third lap. It felt like I walked the entire lap but from my stats, my pace only slowed to 9:23. It certainly felt much slower and harder. The entire time, I debated my goals and course of action. Around the 5 km mark, when the hamstring ache turned to a burn with each run segment, I knew I would not be able to run much further. The knee pain became more frequent and by the time I reached the 7.5 marker, I was done running

I am not a quitter but I was completely exhausted. I felt my legs could handle another lap if I walked it. I questioned why bother? Was achieving the distance worth it? Did I want to risk a third Fall of not being able to run?

I ran the last 200 m of the course to the race central, calling out my bib number. I told my timer that I was going to rest for a bit but would let her know if I headed out again.

I walked to my car, grabbed a diet coke, tore off my race bib, removed my wet shirt, and kicked off my shoes………. I could have cried had I the energy… but I didn’t. I was done.

So, I’m a Dirty Girl.

The end was rather anti-climatic; I ran 30 km in 4:05 (?) and stopped. I ate my burger, received my dirty runner key chain, butter tart, packed up my site and headed home.

The t shirt will be mailed to us due to printing error.

I thought a lot about my day on my drive and though, I can’t say it was a blast, I did enjoy my road trip and appreciate the experience. I learned a few things too. :)

I had the discipline to stop. This is huge!
I achieved a new distance in trail running.
People can be kind and helpful to strangers.
I met some great people including some maniacs – Kinga, Viking, Christy and Kevin. I missed seeing Ron.
I need sleep and more than one coffee in the morning.
I am less nervous driving though TO.
I’ve had enough of camping for this summer.
I'll be booking a hotel for The Toad.

Next………

My feet and legs are stiff but OK though I feel like I am walking like a gorilla. My upper arm is sore, swollen and bruised. I actually thought I would be hurting more today but I think 10 hours of sleep worked miracles on my old body.

So, The Toad is about 8 weeks out and I am not sure if I will be able to run the 50 km. I have 2 more weeks to decide. My immediate plan is to try to resolve this hamstring issue. I have another ART treatment with the Chiro next week and will decide then on the race distance.

My new 305 Garmin measured a bit short.
28.29 km; 4:05; 8:41 pace
32% walking; 68% running

Actual race stats:
Coming on Monday
Running 26.2 miles is not limited by physical capabilities but rather by the mind.
Uta Pippig

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:52 pm

Great report, Sherry ... congratulations, on becoming an official Dirty Runner ... :P :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:54 pm

ouch. sounds like a rough race (i would've been done after the night of camping woes!). good job toughing it out after the fall and taking some lessons away from the experience. :clap:

the hotel for the toad sounds like a wise idea!

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:27 pm

Tough job!! Congrats!!
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

Nature Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Nature Girl » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:49 pm

oh man. What a report! You make me laugh so much...

That's a pretty nasty bruise... you should see my knees! From what I've heard, the Toad isn't nearly as technical as DG's. But I know what it feels like to get discouraged (I'm still trying to figure out how to get the race director of Haliburton to let me drop down to 25K :wink: ).
Hi. My name is NG and I want to run Haliburton.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:55 pm

Thanks for a great report.

I agree with you about camping out the night before races - I had a brutal experience last year before my big race.

Congrats on hitting a new distance on the trail and have fun at the Toad!

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:59 pm

Holy Smokes! That's quite the trail run! :shock: Glad you're home and in 1 piece!

So... you have a date with "the guy" :roll: to show him the Gatineaus?
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:04 pm

you are one tough cookie - many would have just headed home after a start like that, but stuck with it. congrats!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:27 pm

You write a great report Sherry. Too bad the event didn't go as planned; it was quite an adventure though! I didn't realize the event was on, it's only 1/2 hour from me. It would have been fun to watch.
You took quite a beating there, you were smart to stop though. Sounds like a very wise move. You know Sherry, I never really thought of you as a dirty girl before. :wink: :P
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:37 am

trixiee wrote:So... you have a date with "the guy" :roll: to show him the Gatineaus?

Yes...inquiring minds want to know :D :wink:

You're one tough chick...I guess that's what being a dirty girl is all about :D :D

Hopefully "hit on" guy has not registered for the Toad :roll:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

treadlightly
Bruce Kidd

Postby treadlightly » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:26 am

Your report made me laugh! I'm sorry the race didn't go as well as you had hoped, but congrats on toughing it out. That's a really nice keychain and a pretty nasty bruise!
Green Smoothies Rock!

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:41 am

That's a tough experience, I'm glad you came away from it with so many positives. Great effort!!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:48 am

Congratulations on finishing the Dirty Girls!
That was quite the bumpy adventure!
Your race report made me giggle!
Now enjoy your recovery with a great bath!
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:35 am

Great job!!!!
:D

Now, take care of that bruise....
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:40 am

You are one tough dirty girl! That fall sounded pretty yucky! This the first race report I have ever seen that included getting hit on during the run. :lol:

JFRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby JFRunner » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:56 am

Wow, you're one tough dirty girl! :wink: Way to go Sherry!

You've shown how resilient you can be, which is very important when trail running!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Dirty Girl Kicks A$$ - Msdesigner's race report

Postby La » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:06 am

msdesigner1 wrote:But as I was maneuvering through a pretty technical section, he slowed and turned around to say something to me. I noticed this in my upper peripheral vision (?) wondering what he was doing. I quickly glanced up; the next thing I knew, I was flying sideways headed for the dirt. With a thud, I landed on my upper arm and then right hip. F-bombs were dropped. Just as “Hit on” guy began to say something, I yelled at him to go and run his own “f*^*^*^*” race!!! My reaction was clearly intensified by my lack of sleep.

:lol: Good girl!

Rule #1: Camping and racing don't mix. :wink:

Thanks for the great report! Looking forward to seeing you at the Toad. Yes, get a hotel. :)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:08 am

Sherry,

What a great report. Honest, funny and insightful!

I have to say, this sounds like quite an event!

Hope you recover well, and book that HOTEL for the Toad.

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:36 am

Congratulations on toughing it out! :clap:

I once ran a 5K road race after a sleepless night and it was awful. I can't start to imagine running a 30K trail race on little sleep, with an annoying person following me for a part of it. Good for you for getting rid of him. And I have to agree with those who said that camping and races don't go together, even though I never experienced it.

You always impress me with how tough you are. It's like nothing is ever too hard for you, you always try and do your best. :D
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:40 am

Wow, sounds like a pretty tough day. Congrats on what you accomplished - 30km trail running is nothing to sneeze at. Rest your hammie and book your hotel...

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 am

Way to give "hit on" guy a piece of your mind.

Congrats on the race. :D
The Summer of Eng is over.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:56 am

Tough one indeed. I would just like to apologize, on behalf of annoying people everywhere, for your experience with that guy.

See you at the Toad! Maybe we can run together! Wanna split a room?? :lol: 8) :lol:
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

CinC
Lynn Williams

Re: Dirty Girl Kicks A$$ - Msdesigner's race report

Postby CinC » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:25 am

La wrote:
msdesigner1 wrote:But as I was maneuvering through a pretty technical section, he slowed and turned around to say something to me. I noticed this in my upper peripheral vision (?) wondering what he was doing. I quickly glanced up; the next thing I knew, I was flying sideways headed for the dirt. With a thud, I landed on my upper arm and then right hip. F-bombs were dropped. Just as “Hit on” guy began to say something, I yelled at him to go and run his own “f*^*^*^*” race!!! My reaction was clearly intensified by my lack of sleep.

:lol: Good girl!

Rule #1: Camping and racing don't mix. :wink:

Thanks for the great report! Looking forward to seeing you at the Toad. Yes, get a hotel. :)

exactly what La said!

Congratulations Sherry on a great accomplishment!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:21 am

Can't begin to say how proud I am of you Sherry, on so many levels. Especially considering you 'thundered in' so early in the race. That no doubt took the wind out of your sails, but you soldiered on. Its just too bad that you didn't take 'hit on' guy down with you... :shock: :lol: .

Your statement "I had the discipline to stop. This is huge! "
Wow...what a powerful statement. That is definitely a keeper and shows a running wisdom that I wished I possessed.

Great job Sherry. And sorry I did not make it out for the start. I ended up missing my race as well as my neck was in such a state that I was unsafe to drive. :oops:
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:01 pm

hahha great report.

I will say wearing headphones generally stops the chatters. Sorry I love to chat, just not during a race. Although trail and headphones don't seem to go together. But you go to feel good about the pick-up.

Camping= never a good idea.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”