Valley Harvest Marathon 2009

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
bicycle.boy
Bill Crothers

Valley Harvest Marathon 2009

Postby bicycle.boy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:17 pm

(Small novel ahead: summary at the end.)

The original plan had been "The Nova Scotia Marathon" in Barrington, but recovery from the bike accident was slower than anticipated, and that marathon came and went without me. I did manage to get some running in before officially starting a training plan on 20-July. The not-so-secret goal was a very aggressive time of three hours (3h00m). Achievable? Not easily, no. Second goal, still tough but much more realistic, was 3:10:xx to qualify to run the Boston Marathon. I trained hard, and I got faster and stronger. I recall early Tempo runs where 1600m at 4:08 pace felt like I was going to die, whereas my final Tempo run saw me doing 4km at 4:08 and chomping at the bit for more! I'm very happy with the progress I've shown in my running, but look forward to a little break and reacquainting myself with my bikes, if my shoulder approves. But I digress.

I slept well on Saturday night, and CotR, RA, and I were off to Wolfville. Picked up mikemilloy at his hotel, and prepped for the race. CotR even registered for the 5k at the last minute, this being her only race of the year, and one of the few runs she's managed to get in. Lots of tape on her ankle for support! I was very pleased to see her lacing up for a race again. But I digress again...

The worst thing that happened pre-race was that I'd forgotten to pack the right socks. Or any socks at all, actually. So I raced in my worn-out Running Mania socks, adding a little extra Body Glide to my feet. I only ever run in De Feet Air-E-Ator socks, as I have found them to be the best for avoiding blisters and for long-term comfort. Bathroom stops done before the race, got in a short warm-up run, and off to the start line. There were a lot of racers this weekend! It was also pretty darn cold, about 5 degrees. I was wearing gloves, which I threw to CotR as I passed by. I wished for a little while that I had kept them, as my fingers were frozen. But overall, I'm glad I ditched them.

The course was busy, but the scenery was beautiful. The weather was chilly, but I warmed up before too long and the sun was shining. I started walking water stations, though. The first: I got far more water on myself than in my mouth. The second: got Gatorade instead of water, and it ended up in my eye! Glad I had my Buff(tm) so I could wipe it out of my eye and keep running. Right, let's walk a few water stations. Then there was the one where the volunteer dropped it as he was handing it to me. I salvaged some of it. Bad day for water stations. Oh well.

There was a steady flow of runners coming from the half-marathon turn-around point, and it got pretty quite past that point. That's also where a few more hills started to come into play. Approaching the marathon turn-around point, I began counting runners coming the other way. I determined that I was in 16th place! SWEET! With the course mostly downhill from here, I planned to start gaining some ground and opening up a little bit. Then I turned a corner and hit the wind. I don't mean a light refreshing breeze. I mean a strong headwind and crosswind, depending on which way the road wound through the countryside. I'd have taken far more advantage of it on the out portion if I had realized it was that strong. I hit the halfway point at 1:33:xx so was on target for the 3:10xx, but this headwind was wreaking havoc on my plans. I did begin passing people, though.

Around 30km, my calves and quads started to ache a little. S'okay, just 12k to go, I can do this. By 33km, the ache had transformed into full-blown pain! But every time I looked at the Garmin, I did some quick math that said, "It'll be close, but it's possible!" So I sucked it up and kept pushing! I managed to get my pace below 4:30 again, but it didn't last. The final hill took a little out of me, and then I saw RA at the Irving. "It's going to be close, Ang, it's going to be close!" Pain was not going away. Had I looked at the time and seen that I would be guaranteed to miss the goal, I'd have slowed down. But it still looked close, so I still kept pushing. By 41km, I knew I was going to miss 3:10. I knew I was not running a sub-4 kilometer at that point. But who gives up in the final kilometer? Hammer it home as best as I could.

Coming to the pathway leading to the track where we finished, I called out, "Is there anyone behind me?" A passerby says no, no one he can see. Thank goodness for that! The volunteer calls out, "You're still going to speed up though, right?" Bless him! I called back, "I'm trying!" I see Q taking photos. He yelled something at me, but I have no idea what. I called to him, "I may need you to catch me at the finish line!" I was hurting, and bad. I entered the track, and apparently lonerunner and Caro said words to the effect of, "It looks like he's doing a death march." It felt like it, but I was still "running". I tried to
pick it up... I tried, and my legs just wouldn't answer. I can only imagine the fight between my body and my desire, but as I passed over the pre-finish mat that gives announcer Mark Stein the runner info, desire finally won out and I burst forth, legs screaming and arms pumping. My momentum carried me WELL past the finishers area, and some poor volunteer handing out medals followed me a long way to try to give me my reward. Making things more difficult for her, I couldn't even walk or stand straight. Note to self: finishing sprint was a stupid idea!

I finally got my medal, and then much to my delight, a strong arm wraps around me to support me. Bless you, Q. Like an angel, CotR swoops in on the other side and the two help me keep moving without falling down. CotR pushed a water bottle into my hand, and off we went. I managed hold of my recovery drink at some point, and got some fluids back into my system. I was a mess! With CotR's help, I got up some stairs and got an orange wedge, a bagel, and some much needed movement, then to the massage tables. When she was done, I needed help getting off the table, my quads just hurt too much. Note to self: I need to bike more and work those quads!

I braved the stairs down to the track, again with much help from CotR. We saw a local adventure racer and ultra-runner who said CotR was the best looking crutch he'd seen all day! She really is amazing, not just in her physical support post-race, but in the months of training leading up to the race, and in everything we do. (Okay, no more sappy stuff, sorry.) Chatted with a few other friends, and finally made my way to the car. Off to CotR's friends house for a shower (bless her!) and some more water.

Overall, it was an awesome day. I got to see a ton of my running friends, my close circle all had excellent races! Congrats again to lonerunner, Caro, and mikemilloy for beating their time goals, to RA for running a great 5k, and to CotR for posting a good time; great, when you consider the lack of training that preceded the race!

Official results
- Overall placement: 9/120
- Age group: 4/21
- Gun time: 3:12:18
- Chip time: 3:12:16
- Pace: 4:35 min/km

Splits:
5k - 21:21.58
10k - 22:26.47
15k - 22:27.01
20k - 22:22.77
25k - 22:33.43
30k - 22:41.25
35k - 23:56.71
40k - 23:41.9
42.2k - 10:44.88

So I didn't qualify for Boston. People started suggesting looking for races in Florida, of doing Las Vegas, etc. Screw that. When I can walk normally again (I'm starting to feel better already), I want to get out on the bikes, including my poor neglected Tri bike if the weather holds. I'll try for Boston again sometime, but it isn't a priority for me. Really, the running was something to occupy me and help me keep my sanity while unable to bike. But I will BQ, one day. But I'm not in a hurry to do it.
2008 season by: Euro-Sports.ca
2009 season powered by: sugar and adrenaline

Cabot Trail Relay Race - Leg 9 (17.84k) 1:30:56 (5:06 min/km avg)
Not Since Moses (10k) - 50:16 (5:02 min/km avg)
Rum Runners Relay Leg 4 (16.9K) - 1:14:32 (4:25 min/km avg)
Valley Harvest Marathon (42.2k) - 3:12:16 (4:33 min/km avg)

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Valley Harvest Marathon 2009

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:38 pm

Congratulations, on an awesome race and report, and amazing PB, running.boy ... :shifty: :P

Amazing journey of how a setback in your bike injury enabled you to focus your energy of a bit of running this year ... Totally, awesome, dude .... Looking forward to following your next journey ....
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 pm

This is a wonderful race report.
For a race well run. I'm not an expert at analysing splits but yours look pretty darn good.
Nice that Q could be there to help you...I confess...I have a soft spot for that guy...and I've only met him in real life once!!
And yep...that COTR makes a very pretty crutch!!
Well done Ian...I have no doubt you'll BQ when you want to do that. :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:00 pm

what a huge pb! congratulations - your hard work paid off!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:03 pm

Not sure what to say, Ian. You always hang tough and bring it home. A couple of minutes faster and you'd have had to do another one of those d@mn things, this time in Beantown. Oh well, back to the beloved bikes!!! Congrats on a great race and on having such a fabulous (and supportive) crew. It's great to see you back at 'er and doing so well.
I'm laughing at the Gatorade in the eye...that's why I carry a straw or two. That stuff stings!
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:10 pm

You don't look like a cyclist running in those picks! :wink: Boy o boy! What a speedy one you are!

CONGRATULATIONS! Super PB! :dance:

You and Trish make one sweet coule, that's for sure!
:D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:19 pm

Quite a performance, great story too. So close to BQ.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:33 pm

It looks from here like you ran a smart race and left it all out there; can't ever be disappointed when that happens.

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:42 pm

Wow. :shock: What a great race. Congratulations! You deserve it! :D :D :D
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:58 pm

love the love in this report.
Great job Ian, you and CotR sound so made for each other, it's nice to read. :)

Happy peddling, may your cycling days bring you that lost joy of riding back!

As for the race, wow. Incredible job!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:30 pm

Very nice result, congratulations to you.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:50 pm

Awesome race and report! So close.... :clap: :clap:
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:00 am

I'm still bummed that I couldn't wait at the finish, but am so glad my sis and niece requested a bathroom break, and the lines were perfectly long enough that I got to see you round the corner and come through. I knew it was close, but was still hoping for you!

Very proud of you, Ian!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:11 am

What a great race, Ian! Congrats! I think you need to change your avatar, though.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:26 am

That last picture really does show the look on someone who DID leave it all out there! WOWZA.

Not a bad job for someone who not too long ago referred to himself as a "cyclist who tries to run" ;)

Excellent work Ian, bravo. :clap: :clap:
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 am

Excellent work!!!.. LOVE THE SOCKS...

I wanted to do this one, and I used to live in Greenwood, NS, and went to Kingstec, so I know the area where that course is. I saw a video on Youtube showing the route and it looks awesome. I moved away 13 years ago, and I was not into running then. I think I'll make this a future destination race for the future.
Mike . . . Do what you need to do NOW, so you don't deny yourself a future opportunity.
Upcoming Races:

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:26 am

Well done Ian! Are you sure you didn't hop on a bike to do a few of those k's? That is one fast time!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:27 pm

Congratulations on a great race Ian! amazing result...
Race Hard. Race Happy.

bicycle.boy
Bill Crothers

Postby bicycle.boy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:55 pm

HCmD wrote:Congratulations, on an awesome race and report, and amazing PB, running.boy ... :shifty: :P

Careful, Andy!!! :evil: :wink:

Thank you for the comments, all. Still pretty stoked about the result. To address a few comments/questions:

Jo-Jo: Splits could also be broken down by average pace for each 5k interval, which may make more sense:
- 4:17
- 4:30
- 4:29
- 4:33
- 4:48
- 4:45
- 4:38

Nick: A straw is not a bad idea, I could use it to steal water from other runners on the course! :-D

Trixiee: Of course I don't look like a running cyclist, I hardly cycled all year! ;-) But, I am always proud to run like a cyclist! Ha ha!

RA: I would have liked to see you finish as well; alas, we can't all be everywhere at once. Thanks!

La: Great suggestion, but that would just provoke Andy even further with his "runner.boy" comments. ;)

Mini-T: You're right, I guess I'm a runner now. But I'm a cyclist first!!!
2008 season by: Euro-Sports.ca
2009 season powered by: sugar and adrenaline

Cabot Trail Relay Race - Leg 9 (17.84k) 1:30:56 (5:06 min/km avg)
Not Since Moses (10k) - 50:16 (5:02 min/km avg)
Rum Runners Relay Leg 4 (16.9K) - 1:14:32 (4:25 min/km avg)
Valley Harvest Marathon (42.2k) - 3:12:16 (4:33 min/km avg)

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:00 pm

Thanks Runner Boy...whoops I mean Bicycle Boy :D :wink:

You ran a strong race...it's as simple as that. Awesome!!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Garrett
Tom Longboat

Postby Garrett » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:53 pm

bicycle.boy wrote:By 41km, I knew I was going to miss 3:10...But who gives up in the final kilometer? Hammer it home as best as I could.

Great report! This quote stands out as being pretty awesome! Congrats on a very fast race!

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:54 am

Well done Ian!!! That's awesome and your hard work really showed!!! No doubt you will rock Boston in the near future for sure!!

Keep charging!!!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”