Irongirl is not a f#@$#@ quitter.

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Irongirl is not a f#@$#@ quitter.

Postby Irongirl » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:51 pm

I trained to do the Niagara half-marathon on October 25th. Unfortunately, I came down with a pretty bad cold the week before and, I had to DNS the race.

Fortunately, Ottawa has a small half marathon as part of the Beat Beethoven event on October 31. I signed up on Tuesday.

Niagara is known for it's crappy weather. This year, the weather was perfect. The Niagara weather would be saved, apparently, for me for today. Ugh - rain (downpours at times), wind and not all that warm.

I was pretty bummed about the weather, and, I had a pretty negative attitude going into the race - it seemed like nothing was really "right" for me for this race. Things that weren't "right" included:

pretty crappy last 3 weeks of training (2 runs/week)
crappy weather
out and back course with no spectators
I didn't know anyone else doing the race
I like big crowds at races.
small race - 100 people max. in the half marathon
my left knee and right hip have been REALLY bugging me lately.

So, yeah, needless to say, my attitude going in was pretty horrible. I almost didn't go this morning. I really felt like it was going to be a waste of time.

My original goal was 6 min/km - I had a feeling though that that wasn't going to happen, so, then I thought, 6:15/km. Worst case scenario for me was 6:24/km (2:15).

The race

The race starts, I try to find my groove. My left knee and right hip start bugging me almost immediately. The field is already pretty sparse, and I'm running alone almost immediately. I put my music on and just try to "run by feel" and at a comfortable pace.

km 1 - was apparently 5:28 - i think it was measured short (5:43/km pace) - I was feeling just okay...

km 2 - 6:09 - that made more sense. I didn't think I was running faster than 6/km

km 3 - 6:33 - oh look, I'm getting slower and slower. This included a walk break. I start wondering why I'm out here.

km 4 - 6:48 - this was a stupid idea. I think about quitting.

km 5 - 6:19 - (31:19 for 5km) during this km, I decided to turn around at the 5km mark and see if I can do a 60 minute 10k and call it a day. At about 600m into the km, I start eavesdropping on two women that are chatting, and I join in their conversation. I keep running with them when we pass the 5km sign, so, I guess I won't be turning around.

km 6 - no sign marker. I lose the two women and they are running a tad too fast for me. I make my decision that at 6.5 km, I will turn around and make it a 13km LSD.

6.5 km - I pull off. I take off my bib. I stop my watch. I hang my head in shame and start walking back to the start line. I walked for 100 m and tried to think about what I would say in my race report. I realize that Tori ran a couple of weeks ago with H1N1. I realize that Ironboy did an Ironman in a downpour. I realize that I'm being a wimp. I remind myself that Irongirl is NOT a quitter.

I turned around....and got back on the course! Yes, I added 200 m to my race. I re-started the watch. I decided to try to pick off all the people that I let pass me in that time.

7 km - 6:21/km pace since I joined the race again. (so, for the last 500 m)

8 km - 6:12 - I've covered the garmin and I'm trying to just enjoy the race. I'm slowly catching people.

9 km - 6:49 - start thinking that this was a stupid idea..but, since I'm pretty close to the turn around, I might as well go the whole distance. I'm seeing people coming back and that's helping with a bit of motivation. I also start playing leapfrog with a guy.

10 km - 6:22 and 1:05:24 for 10km (34:05 for that 5km) I'm starting to feel like i'm in a groove and realize that I'm close to 6:25/km overall. Of course, my watch distance is screwed up now, since I have gone an extra 200 m!!

turn around - thank god. I decide to think of it as a new race and see what I can do for the way home. I'm still playing leapfrog with the tall guy and am picking off people slowly....

11 km - 6:28. I am having some fast spurts. I start doing 5 minutes of "comfortable running" and 5 minutes of really pushing it (then a 1 minute walk break). This seems to work well for me.

12 km - 6:11 - I'm passing tall guy sooner into my 10 minute run than before. I think I might finally pass him for good soon. My hip and knee are dull pains now.

13 km - 6:26 - My 5 minutes of fast running has me holding a pace faster than 6 min/km - and I'm really picking people off. (Like 1 person/km, since there are so few people on the darn course.)

14 km - 6:24 - 2 thirds done. Time to bring it home and finish this stupid thing.

15 km - 6:13 (31:45 for that 5km) - I'm feeling good, thinking that 2:15 may be in the cards, but, realizing that I'll probably miss it by a tiny bit (about 200m worth, in fact!) ;)

16 km - 6:43 - crap.

17 km - 6:27. realize that 2:15 won't happen....keep pushing hard for the 5 minute interval. Feeling strong, and knowing that 4km will be over soon. I'm really shortening my stride when I'm doing the 5 minutes fast and I'm starting to be a little proud of myself.

18/19 km - 6:28/km - really hoping this stupid thing will be over soon.

20 km - 6:07 (32:39 for 5km and 1:04:14 for 10km)- that's right, baby.....I'm finishing this stupid thing stronger than I started. Negative split the 10km......

21.1 km 2:16:25 (on my watch) - 2:17 on the clock.....since I had stopped my watch.....2:17 is obviously my official time.

The BEST part about the race was that Ironboy had brought the Ironkids. I'm sorry I made them stand in the rain for 10 minutes longer than they should have.

I'm glad that stupid race is done. I'm really sore still and limping around a lot....but, it's done.

Ironically, I'm already thinking about my next race. I'm considering doing the Cookie Run next weekend - I would like to do a 10km under 60 minutes - prove to myself that I can do 6 min/km for something.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Irongirl is not a f#@$#@ quitter.

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:14 pm

Irongirl is many things--a quitter is not one of them. :) So glad you finished! Congrats on gutting it out... and I hope your hip/knee are feeling better soon.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:14 pm

Congratulations on not quitting and completing your race is absolute cr@ppy weather. I was out running at noon, and I can account for the wind and rain. It was nasty stuff. Determination and guts!
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:19 pm

Trail Child Carrie wrote:Congratulations on not quitting and completing your race is absolute cr@ppy weather. I was out running at noon, and I can account for the wind and rain. It was nasty stuff. Determination and guts!

see, I would say that doing a training run in that weather takes more determination. I paid for the race.....if I hadn't paid to be out there, I wouldn't have been.

once the race started though, the weather didn't really play much of a factor.

(the tailwind was nice on the way back though.)

I suppose the wet weather is what caused my blisters as well.
i run for me.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:04 pm

21.3K PB!

Sometimes the best thing to come out of races like this is a determination to get through it and then take advantage of the next race which is not like this.

SuperboB
Bill Crothers

Postby SuperboB » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:19 pm

We need the bad races to make good races meaningful. Good job on finishing the race and at a decent time too.
Up next...
More running!

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:47 am

That took some mental fortitude to get back into it after giving up. Sounds like nasty weather too! I love that you're already plotting your next race! Congrats IG! :clap:
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:49 am

You did well and you are not a woman who gives up easily! That tells a lot about yourself!

Irongirl wrote:Niagara is known for it's crappy weather. This year, the weather was perfect. The Niagara weather would be saved, apparently, for me for today. Ugh - rain (downpours at times), wind and not all that warm.

I told you it couldn't rain on my birthday race!! It truly was a perfect day for once in Niagara!! BTW in the race kit they give a rain poncho.... hahaha[/url]
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:58 am

I decide to think of it as a new race and see what I can do for the way home. I'm still playing leapfrog with the tall guy and am picking off people slowly....

Great job on re-focusing and getting it done! Not every race can be as fast as we'd hoped, but we can take lessons from all of them. Congratulations!

Coffee this week?
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:02 am

You loaded up on a TON of mental fortitude and you got some running in.
You'll look back at this and recall that there isn't much that will stop you from getting to a start line AND a finish line.

I should have come run with you! :( I had the fortitude to get on the tm in that awful weather.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:22 am

Way-da-Go to finishing, IronFortitude ... :wink: As Spencer would say ... "Keep Going. Never Give Up."

Have they started to give out any 'bling' yet at Beethoven ?? :roll:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:23 am

HCmD wrote:Way-da-Go to finishing, IronFortitude ... :wink: As Spencer would say ... "Keep Going. Never Give Up."

Have they started to give out any 'bling' yet at Beethoven ?? :roll:

nada. nothing. :(
i run for me.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:52 am

Irongirl wrote:

The BEST part about the race was that Ironboy had brought the Ironkids. I'm sorry I made them stand in the rain for 10 minutes longer than they should have.

I have this strange feeling that the Ironkids are pros at standing in the rain at races :wink: :wink:

Way to go IG...good to hear that you didn't cave and DNF. Excellent.
The weather was brutal yesterday...I was thinking about you!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:27 am

I too ran the beat Beethoven race, but just the 8km, and can confirm that conditions were pretty nasty, some of those gusts were unreal.

Did they give you any timing chips for your race, we didn't get any and no-one took that little detachable slip of paper from my bib, will the results even be posted online?
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:22 am

Congratulations on not quitting and not disappointing the Ironkids :clap:
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

LisaB
Bill Crothers

Postby LisaB » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:52 am

Congrats on pulling through and finishing!! Wow!
Lisa
2012:
Resolution Run - 5km - done
Hypothermic Half - done
WPS Half Marathon - done
5km & Fargo Marathon - done - done
Air Force 5km - done
Manitoba Half Marathon - done
Try a Trail 6km - done
Lockport Half Marathon - done
Winnipeg 10/10 - 10km
Fire & Paramedic Half Marathon

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:53 am

Bravo Irongirl!!! =o)
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:13 am

Good job Kiza! I totally know where you are coming from in wanting to finish what you started even if it isn't pretty. :wink: And the weather was disgusting yesterday, I can't imagine dealing with the downpours and gusting wind.

Sash13
Bill Crothers

Postby Sash13 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:29 am

Congrats for sticking it out, Kiza! Sometimes the biggest accomplishment is not time or distance - it's finishing with a positive attitude. Way to go!! :)
~LISA~

Busy mom to 4 under 4, find me on dailymile.com and Garmin Connect
Training in a Half Marathon clinic
Next race: BMO Vancouver Half Marathon, May 4th
Fundraising for Team KidSafe Please join me!

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:36 am

Congrats Kiza. I know it wasn't the race you wanted but it's great that you are able to take a lot of positives away from this. I think you should change your name to Iron Will(power).

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:02 am

Having the guts to not quit when everything is telling you to..that's strong. But Having actually made the decision to bail, starting the long walk back, and then re-committing to the race and finishing strong?
WOW!!
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:20 am

Way to tough it out! Best wishes with the hip and knee...
Louise

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:33 am

You're definitely not a quitter! Congrats, IG. That was a tough one mentally. But, you won over your brain!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Beerslinger
Bill Crothers

Postby Beerslinger » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:15 pm

congrats Irongirl! You're an inspiration, and definitley not a quitter.
Too tired to get out training? Two words - Floppy Manboobs.

2008 - bmo Vancouver 1/2: 2:28:17 PB!!

Please support me in the ride to conquer cancer

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:44 pm

Nope, not a quitter! Definitely not a quitter!
Way to tough it out on that course Kiza! Tons of determination on this one, for sure!
Huge congrats on simply getting it done.

Good luck at the Cookie Run next weekend. ('cause you know ya wanna!)
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

Return to “Run/Race Reports”