Surprise PB at Angus Glen half

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Andes
Johnny Miles

Surprise PB at Angus Glen half

Postby Andes » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:58 pm

So at some point this summer, when I was training for the Scotia Toronto half, I decided to sign up for the Angus Glen half as well, thinking that it would be nice to milk my training for two races. I trained pretty consistently for Scotia and was happy with my time - 1:47:41, a PB of over 3 minutes vs my first race (Mississauga in May). However, I definitely had issues with my pacing - let the excitement get the best of me, went out too fast, and slowed down pretty badly in the last 5km. In the 5 weeks between Scotia and Angus Glen, my training was definitely sub-optimal - I just wasn't up for another race, and life kept getting in the way. I considered skipping the race, but I had paid for it, so figured I had to stick with it! I figured I'd take a shot at beating my Scotia time, but would see how things went and slow down as necessary.

Race day definitely felt very different this time - I wasn't nervous & didn't stress about the logistics. After Scotia it was a nice change being in a smaller race - no corrals; only a few seconds to cross the start. I paced well for the first 5km and reeled myself in when I found myself picking up too much speed. Then came the hills - none were too steep, but they were heartbreakingly long and gradual. I felt ok, but was losing time and wasn't sure how much was due to the hills. Shortly after the halfway mark I was sure a PB wasn't happening and made a semi-conscious decision to not look at my watch again - my pace was all over the pace and the watch wasn't helping me figure out the correct effort level. So, I plugged away and started gradually speeding up with about 8km left. With 5km left (where the wheels started falling off the bus at Scotia) I realized I didn't feel too bad - time to really pick things up! I had some nice speed going for the last km and felt on the verge of puking with 100m to go, so I know I gave what I could! :D I was blown away to see a 1:46 on the clock - really didn't think that was going to happen. Official time, 1:45:50 - 31 of 304 females; 10 of 28 in age group. Very happy with that, and now breaking 1:45 actually looks like an achievable goal for the spring! 8)

I enjoyed this race quite a bit and would do it again as a stress-free way to end the fall racing season. Next up - running without a training plan for a bit, and checking out the Egg Nog Jog in December.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Re: Surprise PB at Angus Glen half

Postby Doonst » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:28 pm

Nice one neighbour!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:52 pm

Congrats on yet another PB! Way to leave it all on the course. :D

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:22 am

Congrats on the PB!!
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

tgilpin
Bruce Kidd

Postby tgilpin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:30 am

Congrats on your PB!!! It sounds like we have similar stories....Scotia vs Angus :wink: This is the 3rd year that I have run this race and love it as a great 'small' race to end the season. The showers/lockers/massages and buffet lunch just tops it off!!!
2014 Races
Chilly Half Marathon Mar.2 - made it to the finish line
Mississauga Half Marathon - May 4
Philladelphia Full Marathon - Nov.23

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:33 am

Nicely done...congratulations!

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:18 pm

Nice race!! I ran that course a couple of years ago. I liked it as well although my running companions complained about the hills a lot!! Great time on a fairly difficult course!! :D

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:25 pm

Congratulations!! I too have a similar story. Ran a PB of 1:59:32 at Scotiabank and said I would run Angus Glen with no pressure, ended up finishing 1:58:50, so improved as well. Was a great day for running!

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:36 pm

tgilpin wrote:Congrats on your PB!!! It sounds like we have similar stories....Scotia vs Angus :wink: This is the 3rd year that I have run this race and love it as a great 'small' race to end the season. The showers/lockers/massages and buffet lunch just tops it off!!!

Yes, just read your race report and saw your smoking PB - congrats, that is a huge improvement! I agree that it was a great small race - I had locker envy though; may have to register even earlier next year to get one. I unfortunately passed on the lunch as well - it looked good but was too soon for me to be up for real food, so I opted for a stop at Starbucks instead.

Robinandamelia, congrats on your PB as well - is there a race report coming?

Has anyone done the Angus Glen 10 miler in the spring? I am thinking about it now as apparently the course uses the golf cart path, which sounds even hillier but fun!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:09 pm

awesome job! congrats on the pb. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “Run/Race Reports”