framboisine freezes at the Goofy Challenge

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
framboisine
Tom Longboat

framboisine freezes at the Goofy Challenge

Postby framboisine » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:35 pm

I can't believe that it's already been over three weeks since Goofy! This is the first time since I've been back that I get to sit down and really think about the experience. One tidbit of advice... Don't plan a destination race in the middle of major kitchen renos, you might lose a bit of your sanity ;)

For some odd reason, the Goofy Challenge never really scared me. My only real concern was to get to race day without reinjuring my knee. Which means that my training was seriously sub-par as I skipped several runs as soon as my knee would not feel 100%. Luckily, I had very low expectations, and my only goals were to have fun, finish before the cut-off time and take lots of pictures along the way.

As it got closer to flying down to Florida, I looked at weather forecasts in disbelief. I mean, would it really be that cold? I reluctantly packed my winter running gear, still hoping for a change in forecast. Well, the forecast got worse, and I was very thankful to have brought everything including my neckwarmer ;)

Day One - Half-Marathon

It's 3am, and I have barely slept for 3 hours... this will be a long day. Race plan is to run at an easy pace with my friend Rachel, with a goal time of 2:45 to 3:00. While standing in our corral, it's cold but it feels warmer with everyone else around. 30 minutes before the race start, we get ice pellets... I did not come to Florida for this!!! Finally fireworks announce the start. not ours... Three sets of fireworks later, it's our turn to be on our way.

Two miles into the run, I notice a runner with an Army Run shirt. We start chatting. Bob, who it turns out is also from Ottawa, will run with us until the end. That’s great, me and Rachel won’t run out of conversation topics as quickly over the two races :)

Ice pellets turn into a cold drizzle as night turns into day. Ugh... I think I prefered the ice pellets... We don’t spot very many Disney characters along the way. They don’t seem to like the weather either. Most of those I see I can’t even name, and the few I recognize have huge line-ups for photo ops. I don’t want to stay still this long in this crappy weather, so the picture taking will have to be postponed to the next day. I’m a little disappointed...

We’ve been running for about two and a half hour when all of the sudden as I pass a runner, I get tackled from behind by a girl who seems to be a little too much in a hurry, then yelled at for blocking the way Mmmmm, what??? I switched “lane” five seconds ago after looking over my shoulder, there’s a large grassy area right beside me, and by the way, you’re not going to win at this point! But before I could tell her any of that, she was long gone, probably running over other unsuspecting runners... At least we get to laugh about it with the runners around us.

At last we can see Epcot in the distance. One last “hill” to go. Decide that there’s no point in running to the top, so we walk it. And before we know it, the three of us cross the finish line. But not before one last photo op.

Chip time: 2:52:30

Part one of the challenge is done! I get my Donald medal, then head to the Goofy challenge tent to exchange my silver bracelet for a blue one. I get cold very quickly, so we skip the food table. By the time we get back to the car, I’m shivering.

Months before the race, I ordered a red polka dot running skirt with the intent to dress up as Minnie Mouse. The cold weather was not going to stop me from wearing it, but silly me only packed a pink jacket, which clearly doesn't match the skirt... I have a marathon to run tomorrow, but who cares, I need to complete my outfit! So out I go shopping in the afternoon. I quickly find Minnie Mouse ears, and then go around looking for that elusive black jacket. Which appear to be an endangered species at the moment. Finally find one around 7pm. woohoo, mission accomplished! All that's left to do is worry some more about the weather before I go to bed. Which makes me almost forget that I have a marathon to run the next day...

Day Two – Marathon

3am comes too quickly again. I stress out again about how many layers to wear, and since I don’t know if I’ll be able to run the whole way, I err on the side of caution. We stay in the car a little bit too long, and barely have time for a portapotty break before heading to the last corral. Looks like there's no one behind us... At least it makes for a very encouraging start as we pass so many people!

It's cold, -4C cold... Sure, it's not the hypothermic half, but at least there they would know how to keep a water station from freezing. The first cup of water I take has about 1cm of ice all around. I have to break the ice on top in order to gain access to the water. Luckily, everyone seems to know that water freezes at that temperature, so no one discards their cup in the middle of the road. I'm very thankful for this since I didn't bring my yaktrax ;) At subsequent water stations, we are offered Powerade Slushies, which would have been awesome during the Winnipeg half-marathon last year, but not so much at this moment...

The sun comes out, and it it a gorgeous day despite the wind. I’m glad I put on too many layers, feels like I will need them. I finally get rid of the hand warmers and throwaway gloves I had on top of my running gloves around the halfway mark. At least, we get to see many more Disney characters out today. I get to take a picture with Minnie and many others. But no sign of Goofy :(

Feels like I've been on the race course forever... at least for long enough that I start to refer to the start of the race as “yesterday”. Probably an illusion caused by the early start in the dark. or maybe I'm starting to lose my mind at this point. Legs are tired, the wind is getting even stronger, but at least the sun is shining and I'm happy. And all those happy back-of-the-packers surrounding us contribute to that.

We stop for a couple more photos at the final two mile markers. Wow, that mile took forever! I can finally hear the crowd at the finish line. I get a surge of energy, and I almost feel like I’m floating as I cross the finish line.

Chip time: 6:14:26, ran at a leisurely pace, and includes at least 20 minutes worth of portapotty breaks, plus many stops for photos :D

Time to congratulate my friend Rachel for completing her first marathon!!! As for me, this marks the completion of marathon number 2. I get my Mickey medal, then head over to get the coveted Goofy bling. Woohoo, mission accomplished :)

This experience was everything that I had envisioned, every bit as fun as I had hoped, and went according to plan despite the unexpected weather. However, for some strange reason, when it was all over, I didn’t feel like I had run a marathon. Sure it was a long day, and my legs did remind me afterwards that I had indeed run that far, but psychologically it still doesn’t quite click. Maybe I’ll have to push at least a tiny bit next time... because there will be a next time for sure in a few years, hopefully on a warmer week-end!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 819394ec7d

eme
Lynn Williams

Re: framboisine freezes at the Goofy Challenge

Postby eme » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:40 pm

Excellent race report!

Too bad about the weather - we Canadians like our winter escapes to Florida to be warm!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:46 pm

Excellent report and you look soooo cute in your outfit. Congratulations on your great weekend.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:18 am

eme wrote:Excellent race report!

Too bad about the weather - we Canadians like our winter escapes to Florida to be warm!

Hey Colleen, for us that is warm! :lol:

Loved this reference frambo:

framboisine wrote:At subsequent water stations, we are offered Powerade Slushies, which would have been awesome during the Winnipeg half-marathon last year, but not so much at this moment...

That does sound great in retrospect!

Sounds like you had a great time down there. Nice way to run your second marathon...the day after you run a half! :shock: Good job, and great race report!
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:46 am

Well done, Frambo!

Hope you get to enjoy the next one a bit warmer!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

treadlightly
Bruce Kidd

Postby treadlightly » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:01 am

Congrats and great photos! I like your Minnie costume.
Green Smoothies Rock!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:15 am

Well Done Frambo. Love the costume.
You always seem to have so much fun on race courses :D

And yes...you are a tad Goofy..so good you now have the medal to prove it :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:28 am

Wow! To run a half one day and a full the next is by no means a mini accomplishment...

... although your race-day outfit was perfectly Minnie! Congrats! :D

Darth Tater wrote:Loved this reference frambo:

framboisine wrote:At subsequent water stations, we are offered Powerade Slushies, which would have been awesome during the Winnipeg half-marathon last year, but not so much at this moment...

+1 Oh my.... yes. Just yes.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:52 am

Congrats, again, frambo upon achieving your life's goal, Being Goofy .. :shock: :lol: :wink:

See ya in Chicago 10-10-10 ... guaranteed that the weather should be much more pleasant there than Disneyworld 2010 ... :wink: :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:33 am

HCmD wrote:See ya in Chicago 10-10-10 ... guaranteed that the weather should be much more pleasant there than Disneyworld 2010 ... :wink: :P

Don't jinx it, Andy! You never know!!!

Congrats, Cynthia! That Goofy medal is HUGE!!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:42 am

Great report! I love the Minnie outfit. It still shocks me to see you in warm running gear when the year before we were roasting in shorts. I have to a gree they do a great job over the race weekend. It really is an event to try.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:51 am

congratulations! the minnie outfit is super cute!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

msdesigner
Jerome Drayton

Postby msdesigner » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:31 am

I've been waiting for this report. I knew it had turned cold but I did not realize it was THAT cold!

I am so impressed that you conquered the Goofy!!!

LOVE the Minnie outfit - so cute
Running 26.2 miles is not limited by physical capabilities but rather by the mind.
Uta Pippig

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:59 am

Fantastic race report Frambo, congrats on being Goofy.
I love your Minnie race day outfit.
Cannot believe you were running in sub-zero in FLORIDA :what:

-the hairdo is very cute!!
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:36 pm

I loved how you referred to the start of the marathon as being 'yesterday' - too funny!

well done girl! congrats!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:33 pm

framboisine wrote:Feels like I've been on the race course forever... at least for long enough that I start to refer to the start of the race as “yesterday”. Probably an illusion caused by the early start in the dark. or maybe I'm starting to lose my mind at this point.

i laughed out loud at this part. :lol: :lol:

congratulations!!! great pic with minnie! :D

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:46 pm

At subsequent water stations, we are offered Powerade Slushies, which would have been awesome during the Winnipeg half-marathon last year, but not so much at this moment...

Especially when you and I were looking for any bit of shade to eat our melted Popsicles that day last June.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

framboisine
Tom Longboat

Postby framboisine » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:15 am

Jo-Jo wrote:Well Done Frambo. Love the costume.
You always seem to have so much fun on race courses :D

I must say that I was a in part inspired to wear a costume by you at race week-end. You looked like you were having so much fun running in your fairy costume!

La wrote:
HCmD wrote:See ya in Chicago 10-10-10 ... guaranteed that the weather should be much more pleasant there than Disneyworld 2010 ... :wink: :P

I agree, especially with what happened in Chicago a couple of years ago!!! I don't trust the weather anymore :evil: :wink:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:29 am

framboisine wrote:
La wrote:

I agree, especially with what happened in Chicago a couple of years ago!!! I don't trust the weather anymore :evil: :wink:

Ever notice how we seem to register for the same races/events ...

And, more scarier, is that when we do, the weather tends to be extreme .. aka Quebec City 2008 with the Heat Wave and Goofy Land 2010 with the Deep Freeze .... wonder what we will bring to Chicago ... a Tornado, perhaps ... it is nicknamed the Windy City afterall :shifty: :shock: :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:40 am

HCmD wrote:
framboisine wrote:I agree, especially with what happened in Chicago a couple of years ago!!! I don't trust the weather anymore :evil: :wink:

And, more scarier, is that when we do, the weather tends to be extreme .. aka Quebec City 2008 with the Heat Wave and Goofy Land 2010 with the Deep Freeze .... wonder what we will bring to Chicago ... a Tornado, perhaps ... it is nicknamed the Windy City afterall :shifty: :shock: :lol: :wink:

Now, I really wish I hadn't registered for Chicago... I do remember Quebec city!!! You guys are bad luck!

Great job on the Goofy Challenge Cynthia! I hope you knee is doing good and you neck is not too tired from carrying all that bling =)
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

framboisine
Tom Longboat

Postby framboisine » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:12 pm

Dr. S wrote:
HCmD wrote:
framboisine wrote:I agree, especially with what happened in Chicago a couple of years ago!!! I don't trust the weather anymore :evil: :wink:

Now, I really wish I hadn't registered for Chicago... I do remember Quebec city!!! You guys are bad luck!

Great job on the Goofy Challenge Cynthia! I hope you knee is doing good and you neck is not too tired from carrying all that bling =)

And don't forget the torrential downpour at Around the Bay last year ;)

My knee is holding up really well since the fall. I'm still cautious with it, as it doesn't feel very strong yet, but I haven't had pain in a while :D

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:13 pm

Great job and congrats on the finish. I agree with everyone who complemented your minnie costume.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Congratulations on two great finishes and a superb report!!! :D

lxiao
Bruce Kidd

Postby lxiao » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:46 pm

Great report, Framboisine...congratulations! Wish I had known you were there...would have introduced myself as another long-time maniac. Despite the weather, it was fun, wasn't it?

Cheers, Christine
Lifetime race count: 6 Halfs, 6 Fulls, part of a Death Race, some 10Ks thrown in there too
Marathon #5 dedicated to my sister and all cancer survivors...please see this link for my dedication: http://www3.telus.net/ccandhh

I'd like to be a glowworm, a glowworm's never glum; 'cause how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:03 pm

Great report. When we went down last year with the kids in November, it was crazy cold...winter jackets and all. Too bad you didn't get better weather

Return to “Run/Race Reports”