Bluenose 10k for Team Diabetes

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Bluenose 10k for Team Diabetes

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Tue May 25, 2010 8:55 pm

I don't get in here often anymore, but I promised a race report to a few of my supporters, so here it is! :)

Just over 6 weeks earlier, I had finished the very last of my school obligations, and decided that since I had a little time on my hands and needed the motivation to get off my butt for some more regular exercise, I may as well sign up for Team Diabetes to run the 10K at the Bluenose Marathon. The fundraising deadline was just 30 days away, but I was certain I could raise $500 in 30 days, in fact I did it in just over 2 weeks! I have raised a total of $555, so far – and can still collect more if anyone missed their chance to donate before the race. https://ocp.diabetes.ca/pledge/cspledge ... &tId=13234

Training was still tough. I had been walking to the exclusion of other activities for about 4 months. My ankle will never be the same, and most weeks that I ran consistently at least 2 days, cycle-commuting 1 other, I felt it in my ankle afterwards. It swelled and it ached, but it rarely gave me any pain while I ran, and I really do love running, so I did what I could. I'd built up from a limit of 20 mins/run, to about 45 mins, or 6.5+km. I also walked additional time, so that my longest distance on my feet accumulative, the week before the race, was 8km.

The day before I jog/speed-walked with P(6y) as both girlies ran the Youth Run, a 4.2km event with more than 2800 kids participating. This event was a blast. I was so proud of my girlies for doing so fantastic and I woke up on my race day felling like I'd already run my race. I wasn't feel motivated, and with a lack of sleep the previous week due to insomnia clinic changes to my routine I was seriously tempted to DNS.

However, I was confident leading up to the event that I could finish 10km within a reasonable timeframe. While I went into the race with no time goal whatsoever, there was a little voice saying go for one hour, and an even smaller voice saying, hey wouldn't it be amazing to pull a PB out of your @$$ ?? I didn't PB ( My PB was just under the hour), but it was a slightly tougher course and I wasn't far off in the end.

DVH, a buddy of bicycle.boy's was visiting from SJ's for the long weekend and had registered for the 10k, hoping to run with Ian who was pacing a 55min. finish. He didn't get the training in that he'd hoped, and wasn't sure what he'd do after all. I'd told him he was welcome to run with me if he felt so inclined, I knew my own limits and with the little devil-voice firmly pushed under, I planned to push it without hurting myself. As it turned out, we ran together for almost the entire race, a little chitchat, a little time to enjoy the view, and a little discussion of heart rates and pace.

At about the 8km mark my body was telling me “Woa! You haven't pushed us this far, or this hard for an eternity! Are you sure you want to do this?” I let myself take a couple of walk breaks when another part of me was saying, just push through it – you can do it! The twinges in the knee were enough excuse for me, and who knows without those walk breaks early on, I may have been crawling through the finish. In the last 700m it was all I could do to keep pushing through. I kept hearing this other evil voice in my head saying, you COULD just walk it in! I was determined that I could make it and that I would do it running, but when I finished I had nothing extra left in me, not even the slightest sprint. I was confident that at 1:04:21 chip time, I had run as hard as I safely could.

The weather was incredible all weekend, easily the best in the history of the Bluenose marathon. Thanks to Caro, the girlies got to come out and cheer once again. They seem to be really getting into the whole road race lifestyle.

But the best news of the weekend was when I suggested to the director of Team Diabetes that they really ought to include some youth events (I just know B(9y) would eat that up) and he told me that they are in the works for next year, including the Bluenose! As it turns out B(9y) has already decided she can handle a 5k anyway, so we'll be signing up for more Team D events in the near future. :)
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Re: Bluenose 10k for Team Diabetes

Postby trixiee » Tue May 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Nicely done, Trish! Wow!!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Wed May 26, 2010 4:58 am

Great job Trish! Well done! ...and Kudos to P and B for their runs!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Wed May 26, 2010 5:06 am

Way to go Trish! :)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed May 26, 2010 5:08 am

Great job Trish...you're one determined gal :D
A round of applause to your girls for their race too. :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Wed May 26, 2010 6:08 am

drghfx wrote:Great job Trish! Well done! ...and Kudos to P and B for their runs!

Thanks Dennis. The girls wondered if we'd see you either of the two race days.

B has been telling everyone how she ran 4.2km in 30 mins! And P, well "I would have run faster [and very likely it's true - but I thought 38 mins for a six year old was great] but I wanted to run with my friend C..." Amongst all of the crowd her best friend from school found her at the start just moments before the gun went off! I was glad they were chatting and having fun, it kept her from overdoing it on her very first race.
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Wed May 26, 2010 7:06 am

The girls looked so proud of their medals on Sunday! It was cute!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Wed May 26, 2010 7:33 am

RA wrote:The girls looked so proud of their medals on Sunday! It was cute!

Ang, P wore hers (w/race shirt) to school yesterday to show her class, but they didn't have time, so she wore it again today!
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Wed May 26, 2010 11:33 am

CeilidhOnTheRun wrote:
drghfx wrote:Great job Trish! Well done! ...and Kudos to P and B for their runs!

Thanks Dennis. The girls wondered if we'd see you either of the two race days.

B has been telling everyone how she ran 4.2km in 30 mins! And P, well "I would have run faster [and very likely it's true - but I thought 38 mins for a six year old was great] but I wanted to run with my friend C..." Amongst all of the crowd her best friend from school found her at the start just moments before the gun went off! I was glad they were chatting and having fun, it kept her from overdoing it on her very first race.

I was actually watching the half and full runners up by my place. Sorry I missed you guys!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu May 27, 2010 8:19 am

Congrats.

Love the fact that the children are running too...38 minutes for a 6 year old...amazing!

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Mon May 31, 2010 9:26 pm

Great run Trish!!!! well done!!

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:25 pm

Congratulations!! :D :D
Louise

Return to “Run/Race Reports”