b_squared runs into trouble at OTMH 5k

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
b_squared
Bill Crothers

b_squared runs into trouble at OTMH 5k

Postby b_squared » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:55 pm

I ran the local 5k race today, not a bad event, my first time. Good company again this morning with some TO maniacs and friends.
The 1k kids run was especially fun to see, a lot like Delilahs's that IG posted today.
I had a decent ,if not great, warmup; thought things were feeling OK. The big kids race started at 9am, I toed the line behind Pat and dgrant ,who both ran well. My first km was good at 3:43, second at 3:53 still in good shape, the third km sucked though as I felt a signifcant twinge in my left achilles: third km in 4:10, and the 4th 4:20 to bring me through 4km in about 16:00 and I knew I was in a struggle to break 20. I up the pace a bit to get back a few seconds through the twisty last km but any power was mostly gone. However, I hit the clock at about 19:15. My kids were proud of their old dad on fathers day. That would have been a fast time but there was no way I ran a 3:15 last km. I see dave a few seconds after and he immediately knows that it was a short course. But how? As QC posted in her report those of us running up front took a wrong turn and ran 4.6 km total.
ETA: just saw the 'official' time: 18:33, wish that was for 5km!

Here is the evidence, first the course map and then my garmin map of my race:

Near the 4km mark we turned west on Palmer when we should have continued further south to Randall. I was following the runners ahead so wasn't paying attention to the cones at all, but it's clear we ran short. Not sure if I could've broke 20 minutes, it would have been close that's for sure. Not all races are great and this was one of those for me, however any race day is a good day. I am not as bummed about the short course as I am the achilles; it is a problem. At least a week if not two is my best guess, hopefully not longer. We'll see in the morning.
Last edited by b_squared on Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Re: b_squared runs into trouble at OTMH 5k

Postby QuickChick » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm so sorry your achilles bugged you. I knew you were worried about it, and that really sucks. :( I hope you heal it up really well so we see you at another race soon!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:34 pm

I gotta be honest...when I saw both yours and DGrant's times, my jaw dropped. I thought 'I knew these guys were fast, but damn....'
Short courses suck, injuries suck more. I hope this achilles deal is just some sort of temporary flare up. I know mine was ugly after Sulphur, but within a week it was resolved. Hoping the same for you.
Nice work all the same B.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:20 pm

That's a great result!! Too bad about the Achilles--and I'm sure the heat/humidity didn't help. Your kids are right to be proud of their Dad! 8)
Louise

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:11 pm

Looking at that map it's hard to see how they messed up so badly with the marshaling-- there wasn't any part of the 3K or 1K that went that way.

Oh well-- so it goes. It sounds like you got some good experience from this race anyway-- take it forward to the next one. You're still getting faster.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:16 pm

hey man, sorry to hear about your injury. rest up and get well soon. but cheating? never thought you had it in you. :D

it is not an easy course by any means. the first km sucks you in, makes you feel comfy, and then bam - you get the hill before 2km and little slight incline/declines that sap seconds off your time.

anyway, the race is well done and the breakfast afterwards is pretty good. and at least they have stuff for the kids to do while you're off cheating. i've run the the last 2 years but had to miss today. i say there is a shallonge next year - but only if you run the whole 5km

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:18 pm

Jwolf wrote:Looking at that map it's hard to see how they messed up so badly with the marshaling-- there wasn't any part of the 3K or 1K that went that way.

Oh well-- so it goes. It sounds like you got some good experience from this race anyway-- take it forward to the next one. You're still getting faster.

usually it's well laid out with running room orange pylons. never an issue in previous years. but you never know what can happen. see what happens when women aren't there to give men directions?

blank
Bill Crothers

Postby blank » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:45 am

A good run for sure. It's too bad about the course, but the kids can still be proud of their dad. 8)

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:17 pm

Nice running, but of course a frustrating and confusing result. What is the difference between the 19:15 and 18:33 times? Take care of that achilles, that can last too long if you don't lay off the speed.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:48 pm

Doonst wrote:Nice running, but of course a frustrating and confusing result. What is the difference between the 19:15 and 18:33 times? Take care of that achilles, that can last too long if you don't lay off the speed.

Not sure about the clock time; I was probably delusional when I saw the clock or it was wrong too. 18:33 makes me feel a bit better about my run though as the pace for my last 600m was 4:00/k so I am pretty sure I could have covered the additional 400m in a minute or so and the time would've been right in line with the Bread and Honey 5km result.

LisaB
Bill Crothers

Postby LisaB » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Congrats on a hard run! Hope the achilles is okay. So great to have the kids proud of you :)
Lisa
2012:
Resolution Run - 5km - done
Hypothermic Half - done
WPS Half Marathon - done
5km & Fargo Marathon - done - done
Air Force 5km - done
Manitoba Half Marathon - done
Try a Trail 6km - done
Lockport Half Marathon - done
Winnipeg 10/10 - 10km
Fire & Paramedic Half Marathon

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:17 am

Proud kids is a good thing. Strong racing is a good thing. Short course, not so good. But as Lisa says, the good thing about these short distances is you can go again soon (assuming you find a race, of course). Take care of that injury.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:54 am

Wow, what a convoluted course to begin with! Too bad about the screw-up (and the Achilles), but good result overall.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:24 pm

Congrats! Sucks when mistakes are made. Fast run anyway :clap:
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

Return to “Run/Race Reports”