Robbie-T @ Creemore Vertical Challenge

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:16 pm

Lots of hills, up and down the escarpment, a Challenge, I seem to fancy hills, OK bring it.
Based on previous races I picked a goal of 1:53:59 and top 10.

Doonst and I made the trip up to Creemore together, we arrived there about a hour early and the place was already busy, full of keener trail runners. Walking around I was actually feeling a bit intimidated, to me it looked like there were plenty of buffy, well seasoned trail runners chomping at the bit to be let lose on the trail.

Before the race, we chatted with West Grey Runner, Ann-Elizabeth, Air-Forcie and his buddy.

Well we lined up for the take-off and out we go, I jump up with the leaders, and the 3 legends are gone pretty quickly, I run at the lead of the second pack. I'm having trouble getting my breathing to relax with all the excitement and the just over 4:00 pace through the first 3 km. One guy passes me in the 3rd km and I stick with him, we climb one of the first hills, I pass him at the top and don't see him again.

Around 5k we head back into the trails I splash some water on my face to cool me down, this seems to wake me up and help me relax. About 7k I feel this new guy making his move on me, luckily I start to feel my legs come alive on this long road climb, just before the first steep downhill around 11-12k he passes me, I follow along for a bit and pass him on the next hill, never to see him again.

After that I was on my own but kept believing that someone would be coming up on me again. I was in 4th place on a tough course with a bunch of strong runners, I was nervous.

Climb climb climb, when does it stop, my km splits on the course ranged from a low of 3:54 to a high of 6:26!! One of the funnest climbs was a rocky washout trail that was long and pretty steep, I sore out loud when I thought I must have gone to Hell and was climbing the never ending hill. As the race went on I could feel my calves and hamstrings clinching, I knew that they were working hard, my ears were becoming plugged, a sign of dehydration. I kept on pushing taking in fluids where I could and hope that I would make it to the finish before I seized up.

At 20k we go through an uneven hay field and back into the bush, somehow I managed a 4:08 and 3:58 km between 22 and 24, I just remember wanting to be finished. The last 1-2km where pretty challenging single lane dirt trails with ropes for assistance to climb a few banks, finally back to the RD's home across the bridge and run through the finish. Everyone was saying I was smiling and looking fresh, that was nice of them to say but that was a grimace not a smile, I was happy to be done, I felt whipped.

Jumped in the river for a bit, changed and came back to enjoy a couple beers and pizza with the boys.

I was 1:57:46 - 4th overall and 2nd in my age group 40-49, that earned me a handmade coffee mug, Canadian Maple syrup and some local ground coffee.

Awesome great race, the course more then exceeded my expectations. I was expecting mostly hot boring gravel roads, but honestly I remember way more trails then roads, this race had a great variety of challenging terrain. Organization was a good as any race that I have been to with a super friendly atmosphere.

You want a Vertical Challenge? Try this race.

Splits
http://www.itsmyrun.com/laps.php?id=31734

Elevation Profile
http://www.itsmyrun.com/elevation.php?id=31734
Last edited by Robbie-T on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Robbie-T @ Creemore Vertical Challenge

Postby Jwolf » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:55 pm

Wow- that's amazing Rob! Great race.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:59 am

Robbie-T wrote:that was nice of them to say but that was a grimace not a smile, I was happy to be done, I felt whipped.

You get tired?? :lol: Nice race and result, congrats Robbie!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:36 am

Well done Robbie-T.
Got a chuckle from your comment about "the legends"...doncha you...you're becoming one of these :D :D :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:39 am

1Ironatatime wrote:
Robbie-T wrote:that was nice of them to say but that was a grimace not a smile, I was happy to be done, I felt whipped.

You get tired?? :lol: Nice race and result, congrats Robbie!

Too funny....I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Robbie said his legs were worn out, and I thought "huh...that only happens to normal folks, not Robbie" :lol:

No surprise you tore this course up Rob. Glad to finally meet you. Everything Jo-Jo told me about you was correct. (That's a good thing).
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:49 am

This sounds like a great race with the best swag ever!
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:08 am

Every now and then, your legs need a good whipping. Great choice of course to do it on, and super result!

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:43 am

Congratulations Robbie! Very impressive!
Louise

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:29 am

RobbieT ...quite appropriate
never ending hill
Pierre use to have signs on the course, the never ending hill was called "O2".

Congratualtions on you're 1:57:46 - 4th overall and 2nd in AG.

blank
Bill Crothers

Postby blank » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:34 am

Congratulations Rob, sound like quite the course! :shock:

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:22 pm

Another impressive performance, you never disappoint. I've got to go just to watch sometime, seeing you bound up O2 would be something. I did a double-take at your splits from the report, but going to mine and just add about 1 minute each it makes sense, since you were 32 minutes ahead. Coming in fourth, you're right between the legends of my early OUSer days, back in 2005 when I first met a slightly quick slightly heavy guy from Erin at the Paris half. You've come a long way Robbie.

As always its great to hang and travel with you, that was fun above all. From Paris and Waterloo, to Boston and Picton, now Kilbride and Creemore its always good times.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:57 pm

Great race Rob! Road or trail, sunny and hot or cold and wet, short or long distance, you seem to knock it out of the park every time! Awesome!

Mouse
Bill Crothers

Postby Mouse » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:25 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:Well done Robbie-T.
Got a chuckle from your comment about "the legends"...doncha you...you're becoming one of these :D :D :wink:

Great report. I thought he already was a LEGEND... Glad to read that you had a fun time as well.
Mouse
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter. - Mark Twain

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:28 pm

Congratulations Robbie! Great race!
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

scottp
Bruce Kidd

Postby scottp » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:55 pm

Awesome race Robbie, Congrats!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:12 pm

Yeahhhh Rob! Very strong, as usual. I love that you specifically picked this race because of the challenge. I wouldn't have thought you would be intimidated at the start! Guess you'll be less so at your next trail race. ;)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:22 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:56 am

Well done, seems like you'll be in the perfect place for ITT, glad you are on my team ;)
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:55 pm

I feel dehydrated just reading about the latest of your big efforts.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:50 pm

Congrats on placing 4th, Robbie! That's an impressive time on that course and on a day like that. I'm glad you had a good time.
Ultrarunner again

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:41 am

Note to self - the only way you will keep up with Robbie-t is when he's been running some mo fo hills in a race (re the 6:26 pace)! And I'm sure that was very short lived!

Well done sir!!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:54 pm

CinC wrote:Note to self - the only way you will keep up with Robbie-t is when he's been running some mo fo hills in a race (re the 6:26 pace)! And I'm sure that was very short lived!

You could keep up with that? Not me!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:38 pm

Jwolf wrote:
CinC wrote:Note to self - the only way you will keep up with Robbie-t is when he's been running some mo fo hills in a race (re the 6:26 pace)! And I'm sure that was very short lived!

You could keep up with that? Not me!

yeah - who am I kidding??

ha!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”