hezzy is a dirty girl

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
hezzy
Tom Longboat

hezzy is a dirty girl

Postby hezzy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:13 am

Here is my race report for the Dirty Girls 12 hour race.

A bit of background information: In May I ran my first marathon in Ottawa, and it took me longer than expected due to stomach problems. June 19 I ran Niagara 50K and again was plagued with stomach issues. I ended up walking for about 20KM. It took me 7.5 hours, but I finished (although my feet swelled to elephant size that evening). I experienced my first DNF at Limberlost, dropping after 28K when I realized I wasn't going to make the time cutoff. In between all of these races I've had some successful shorter races, so my running career this year has been kind of all over the map. My ultimate goal this year is to run Haliburton 50 Miler.

We showed up in Mansfield at around 7pm, set up camp, and had dinner. My friend and sometimes running partner made a fantastic pasta salad for myself, my husband and her to eat. We had a customary beer or two, and then hit the sack around 10pm. Alarm was set to go off at 6am. The evening was quite chilly but it was comfortable once I was in a sleeping bag. I had a great sleep (had none of the usual "I slept in for the race" dreams) and woke up feeling refreshed, but a little concerned about how cool the morning was. When I got out of the tent I realized the air temperature outside was actually a bit warmer, so I decided on shorts, a tank top and arm warmers. I realized that Nature Girl was camping right next to us so I got to say hello to her :D

The race started and the plan was to run the first 6 hours with my friend. I had no idea what to expect on the course, so I just took it easy, walking most of the hills. Within a few Ks I was loving the course already. Having a friend to run with was great, and the time started to fly by. I was pleased to see Queenga and the Viking at the aid station at 5K. I had some water and coke. We continued on, and I finished my first loop in about 1:30ish. Ditched my arm warmers, grabbed some more water and coke, and a bite to eat, and started in on the second loop. Again I was feeling good, making sure I was hydrating properly. The only unfortunate part about the course is the fact that you see the aid station before you actually reach it. I got excited when I realized I was almost there, ran quickly down the little downhill section, rounded the corner and said "oh yeah, I forgot there's a hill here..." Had some more water and coke at the aid station, and some shot bloks, and was on my merry way again. My second loop was finished in around 1:45. I was beginning to love the 10K loop. I knew exactly when to walk, and when to run, and my energy levels were remaining consistent. Third loop was pretty much the same as the first two, except that by the end I knew I'd need to make a pit stop at the start/finish. We were still keeping our aid station stops under 2-3 min., which is something I focussed on. I wanted to make sure I kept moving. When we started the fourth loop my friend decided she wanted to try to get to 35K before the 6 hour cutoff. I told her to go on without me, and she said she'd wait for me at the aid station and run the rest of the loop with me. She took off ahead of me. I must have been excited to see if she made it because I picked it up a bit. I got to the aid station and found out she just missed the cutoff, so she completed 32.5K in total. At that point I was starting to feel a bit sore, and started to doubt whether I would be able to continue for the full 12 hours. I had a good conversation with the Viking, and then my friend and I continued on to the end. There were a few times that I needed to walk a bit longer than I had been, but I continued on and finished the loop in around 2 hours. I had more water and coke, and grabbed my ipod, since I wouldn't have my friend to keep my company for my remaining loops. I had a hard time leaving. At that point I had about 5.5 hours left, so I decided to try and run the next loop in 2 hours, so I would have 2.5 to complete the remaining loop. I thought it would be reasurring to have that buffer. I must have caught my second wind on the fifth loop, because I felt fantastic, even though my ipod died about 3K into the loop. Coming up on the aid station I smelled a fantastic aroma. I think that was the quickest time I made it up that hill. I discovered that there were freshly made grilled cheese sandwiches. I was a bit doubtful about trying one, but Queenga and the Viking both encouraged me, so I took one triangle, and I have to say it was the best grilled cheese I have ever eaten. I continued on my way. As I made my way from the "annoying turn around" to the section that was named something to do with hippies, I heard someone call my name and turned around to see my hubby making his way toward the annoying turn around. I waved and continued on. He caught up with me a bit later on and passed me, and I was happy to see he was looking strong well into his quest to complete 120K in 24 hours. I finished my fifth loop in about two hours, right on target. My friend was happy to see me, as she was a bit worried after my last loop. At that point I knew I had roughly 2.5 hours to finish my final loop and complete 60K, which had been my goal for this race right from the start. I had my usual water and coke, and my final two magic cookies (homemade by the same friend who made dinner, ran with me, and was now crewing me. I like to refer to her as my wife :lol:) I followed my same routine of walking up the hills and running the flat and downhill sections. I tried not to linger too long at the aid station. I was continuously checking my watch to make sure I would not run out of time, even though I knew I had plenty of time. It felt to me that I was walking a bit more than my previous loops, but I allowed myself that, because every time I told myself I should run again, I would start right away and continue on for a while. I've found that in previous races, near the end, I would be quite tired and would end up walking a lot, and then whenever I started to run again, things would be sore etc. and I wouldn't be able to maintain my pace. That did not happen with this race. I was so happy that although this was the longest distance, and longest time by a long shot, that I had ever run, I was still able to maintain a decent running pace in my final few KMs. As I approached the end I could hear the traffic on the nearby road and knew I was almost finished. When I saw the path leading to the grass and the finish I have to admit I welled up a little bit at the thought of what I had accomplished. I ran into the finish and was a bit overwhelmed that I was done. My friend was there to take my picture, and as a nice surprise another friend that lived nearby had arrived in time to see me finish, and had brought a glorious treat, some caramel sundae ice cream.

I ended up finishing the final lap in about the same time as my fifth lap, even though it felt like I was walking a bit more. My overall finish time was 11:35 with a distance of 60KM. Later on in the evening I was nicely surprised to find I had won second place women under 39. I enjoyed some food and some wine, and went to bed around 11pm.

My overall thoughts of this race:
- I am in love with the course. It is challenging, but very runnable.
- I am considering doing 24 hours there next year.
- As I told the Viking, he and Queenga are not allowed to run any more races. They must run an aid station at every race that I run from this point on.
- I am very proud of what I accomplished with this race and it has given me the confidence I need to feel ready for Haliburton, especially after some of the problems I've had at previous races
- I love being a dirty girl!
2015 - the year of the 100 miler

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Re: hezzy is a dirty girl

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:32 am

Congratulations!!!!
What a great race report - and sounds like you had an amazing run!! :dance:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:45 am

Awesome report.

I am so glad that you had a great race!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:59 am

Great story, glad it was such a positive experience.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:36 am

Wow!

You are one determined lady!

Congrats on a great day.

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:45 am

Well done -- nice to see you had a great race.... great accomplishment.... :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:28 pm

:D :D
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Postby FishHog » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:18 pm

amazing, congrats on a great run.

FishHog
In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

VDoT
Bruce Kidd

Postby VDoT » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:27 pm

Crongrats on a great achievement, almost makes me want to try run an ultra!!
Dan

Coming up in 2015:

hezzy
Tom Longboat

Postby hezzy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:30 pm

If I can do it, anyone can :)

Nature Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Nature Girl » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Nicely done! It was nice to see you and your hubby who I ran with a couple of times (as he passed me - he was on fire!). I can relate to your story... there's a lot of similarlities to when I started running long distances (running the Ottawa marathon and having GI issues, DNFing Limberlost...).

It sure is a great feeling reaching that finish line and knowing your done (and can finally sit your as DOWN!), congrats again and we'll see you at Hali.
Hi. My name is NG and I want to run Haliburton.

hezzy
Tom Longboat

Postby hezzy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:25 pm

Congrats on your accomplishment too NG. I didn't want to bug you on Sunday morning as I would imagine you were exhausted. Looking forward to seeing you at Hali!

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:29 pm

Way to be hezzy, great results and a great report! I am looking forward to doing the 24 hours run again next year. It’s pretty magical out there in the forest overnight!

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:54 pm

I had some interesting thoughts when I read the title :wink:
Congrats on finishing, :D that is a great accomplishment!
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:37 pm

WoW!! :dance: Well done, Dirty Girl!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Congratulations on your 12hr and covering 60k!! Well done! I'm glad you had a good time.

That forest is a great place for a timed event like this, with a nice trail mix. Definitely go for the 24hr next year! You might get to see that weird black cat-like creature that roamed the trails in the dark. :twisted: :lol:
Ultrarunner again

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:04 am

Great job! Well done!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:59 am

Great race, congrats!

hezzy
Tom Longboat

Postby hezzy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:17 am

Kinga my husband was telling me about seeing a black creature. He thought it was a weasel (after googling various animals). I thought he was hallucinating. Where there other confirmed sightings? Or was he just babbling to you at the aid station? :lol:

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:12 am

hezzy wrote:Kinga my husband was telling me about seeing a black creature. He thought it was a weasel (after googling various animals). I thought he was hallucinating. Where there other confirmed sightings? Or was he just babbling to you at the aid station? :lol:

I'm not Kinga, but there were a number of mentions of some sort of black creature.

Or maybe the grilled cheese sandwiches were just special.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

hezzy
Tom Longboat

Postby hezzy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:29 am

The grilled cheese was pretty fantastic, and I did think I saw a chipmunk hovering rather than running across the ground...hmmm.....

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:17 pm

wait, let me get this straight. In the past three months you've done your first 40k, first 50k, and first 60k? that's insane! well worthy of the ultra crowd madness. :) congrats on a great race!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:55 pm

Wow Hezzy! Quite the accomplishment. Congratulations.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:28 pm

BJH wrote:
hezzy wrote:Kinga my husband was telling me about seeing a black creature. He thought it was a weasel (after googling various animals). I thought he was hallucinating. Where there other confirmed sightings? Or was he just babbling to you at the aid station? :lol:

I'm not Kinga, but there were a number of mentions of some sort of black creature.

Or maybe the grilled cheese sandwiches were just special.

We had 3 different people talk about the Creature. A buddy of mine described it as an animal that looked like "a black cat with a squirrel's tail". He got spooked by it and I fully expect it to migrate to Haliburton Forest by September 11th just to spook me, too. I know my luck... :roll:

As for your 'hovering chipmunks', hey, I hope the aid station food had nothing to do with it. :lol: You're getting loopy... :shhh:
Ultrarunner again

Return to “Run/Race Reports”