MS Bike Tour - Nova Scotia Report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Scott
Bill Crothers

MS Bike Tour - Nova Scotia Report

Postby Scott » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:14 pm

This was my third year doing this event as part of a team our office puts in. We've grown from four, to 20 members of our Gruppetto in 5 years.
The ride is a 170 km long event over two days. The particpants ride from Musquodoboit Harbour on the Eastern Shore of NS to Truro, stay over night and ride back the next day.

The weather on the first day was nasty to say the least. This was the most rain I've even ridden in in my life. At one point, around the 70km point, a downpour started that lasted over 20mins and the raindrops were huge. I would not have been surprised to see hailstones. There were several downpours throughout the day, otherwise it just rained.

Once in Truro, we set about getting cleaned up and warmed up. Of course once we reached Truro, the rain stopped.

This morning we set out in the fog around 8:10AM, by about 9AM, the sun had burned off the fog and it was hot and humid with a headwind.

I made good time on the way back, riding most of it alone, with a few exceptions. I covered the return trip of 85km in around 2:55, so I averaged around 29km/hr. I was most happy with my cadence which I was able to keep in the 80's for most of the ride.

I was another great event, but as has been the trend for me this year, nasty weather followed me.

Scott
Last edited by Scott on Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:29 pm

What's the deal? Bluenose, then this? Scott, please don't come to my next event! :wink: :wink:

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:40 pm

good job, scott! it was nasty weather here for a long ride this weekend.

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:43 pm

Good work Scott!
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:49 pm

Did you happen to be in Lake Placid in July 2003?? :?

Well done in tough conditions!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:51 pm

Way to fight through the elements Scott. Great job! Congrats :D
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47
RUNNING MANIA #2

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:26 am

I should mention that our team raised over $10,000 for MS research and support through this event. I'm not sure what the final tally was for the NS event, but it I think it was in excess of $100,000.

UPDATE: The final tally was over $250,000!!!!

It was amazing to see cyclist of all shapes and sizes tough it out through the storm. Many people are not used to doing something of this magnitude, let alone in those conditions. I will run in pretty much any conditions, but many folks on this Tour were sporadic execisers, so hats off to them.

There were over 10 accidents during the storm caused by people crossing two very wet rail crossings (bad angle). I dismounted and walked the first one and the bike still slipped in my hand as we crossed, the second wasn't as bad so I unclipped one foot.

Scott
Last edited by Scott on Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:43 am

Scott...

Awesome ride and a great report...kudos for all the money your team raised...

Joanne
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:38 am

Nice ride. Maybe you should consider going to Africa and helping out with the droughts.....

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:00 pm

I volunteered for the London to Grand Bend Leg of this race about 10 years ago. I had such a blast. I've always wanted to actually do the bike tour & decided this year as I was returning from the cottage in the rain with my new bike safely tucked in the back of my car, that I would do this ride in 2006!

Great report & job well done, the weather here was not the best for our ride in July either - it was the first "real" rain that we had all summer!
Tracy
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Return to “Run/Race Reports”