Sulphur Springs 100 Miler - May 28/29 2011

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Sulphur Springs 100 Miler - May 28/29 2011

Postby West Grey Runner » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:04 pm

To quote JD " I ran all day, I ran all night and then I ran some of the next day". For 27hours50 minutes I kept moving forward and completed my first 100 Miler.

A couple of days before the race I googled " how to run 100 miles". Reading through the checklist I felt that I had done enough to complete the 100 miles in under 30 hours. Two weeks ago I did two long trail runs 2hrs40min, 3hrs40min then then Mississauga Marathon all spaced 2 days apart. The back to back to back runs all felt great and it gave me a huge confidence boost. The focus of all of these runs was to go easy and I spent endless hours practicing what I call my "30 hour trail shuffle". With the exception of the road race and my lunch time runs all of my time has been spent on the trail.

I headed to Ancaster Friday afternoon arriving at the race just before 5pm. Picked up my race kit, had a fantastic "last meal" then the RD gave a rather inspiring talk. He said that statically 1 in 4 would drop out but he also went on to say that the 30 hour cutoff was a long time and even if you were not trained for the event you could complete it. He also went on to say that quitting is not an option unless you broke a leg or had something more serious happen. After dinner and a bit of social time things quickly quieted down. It was very cool and foggy and there was strong wind blowing. The weather made for early darkness so I settled into my Durango fully stretched out in my sleeping bag, listened to music and had a Beer. About 10pm I did a couple of Gravol and then drifted off to sleepuntil my alarm went off at 5:00 am.

When the race started at 06:00 am I was a little but foggy , just like the weather so I more less shuffled along for the first little bit until I woke up. I was determined not to go out too fast and was doing my "30 Hour Shuffle". After a few Ks went by there was almost no one behind me. I was beginning to question my strategy but I was going to stick with the plan, besides it felt easy...like I could run forever. My objective was to run 3 hour loops for the first 100K . The first 20K loop was done in 2hrs37min , a little fast but not too bad. Loop 2 went by more or less the same as the first completing it in 2hrs42min. Banking a little time but slowing slightly made me feel like I could reach my first objective of 5 loops done by dark. After 40K I was really feeling good and I was moving along at the same pace that I started. I was a bit dehydrated so I started to take in more fluids and started taking Eload Zone Caps. The only discomfort was a bit of my on going groin pain, it was subtle but there and I really wondered what would happen as the day progressed. In the second half of loop 3 with 50km behind me and 110km remaining I was starting to feel a bit fatigued but I was still moving along OK. This is also the time where I had my first negative thoughts and some doubt about being able to make it to the end. This was the start of a trend that would go on for the reminder of the race. Completing loop three in 2hrs48min was a huge boost. Although I was starting to feel discomfort I was still moving along well. Heading out on loop 4 it felt really good knowing that I would soon reach the half way point. The 4th loop went very well , only a few negative thoughts towards the end otherwise it was all about getting the 5th loop done before dark. Finished loop 4 in 2hrs59min completing 50 miles in 11hours8mins which was a PB at that distance. With 80K behind me and 80K to go I was really happy with my lap times and headed out at 5:10 pm without a light confident that I would be done the loop before dark. The 5th loop is where my biggest nemesis of the race would creep up , foot pain!!! I had no been running in wet dirty shoes for 12 hours and it was starting to take its toll on my feet. There was also a lot less folks on the course and seeing others was becoming less frequent. I was looking forward to putting on my night gear and being joined by my pacer Anne in loop 6. Finished the 5th loop in 3hrs13min with very sore feet and my quads had also joined into the pain party, I was beginning to fall apart. With 100K done and 60K to go I knew that I could walk to the finsh before the 30 hours cutoff . It was aroundo 8:20pm when we headed out and I had just short of 16 hours to get it done. I felt confident that I could complete the race but the thought of walking 60km was a little overwhelming. I did allot of chatting with Anne on this loop and it really helped to take my mind off the pain. Every step was an excruciating reminder of what was going on inside my shoes. I ran some of the downhills but that was becoming difficult due to the pain in my quads. We more or less walked from the start all the way to the top of the "lollypop" but I was determined to run down the very gentle 2-3K downhill and I did! Finished loop 6 in 4hrs25min, this is where I took my longest break of the day taking time to change my shoes and socks. The dry and clean felt better but there wasn't much relief from the growing pain. Heading back out for the 7th loop was really hard , one moment I would be telling myself after "I only have to do this one more time" then I would thinks about doing the "death march" from the start to finish of the Marathon because that was what was remaining! Heading past the Gatehouse a couple of Ks into the loop I found that running wasn't as painful as walking. I was able to move along on the flat even and dry tail that was the majority of the gate house loop. Doing a bit of running here and there really helped but it also borough on allot of Nausea. I didn't throw up but there were a few close calls. The first 4 laps it was all about boiled potatoes and salt , a couple of gels /loop water and gator aide and a yogurt at the finish. After the 4th loop I was gelling 3-5 times a loop and taking water , coke and ginger ale every 45 minutes or so. The 7th loop it was all about finishing before the sun came up. I was still feeling confident that I would be able to finish but doubt would creep into my mind Finished the 7th loop in 4hrs42min just a little after twilight. I was happy to be able to take my headlight off after logging 40K in the dark. I did the last loop by myself. Heading out around 5:30 am I had 6hrs30 min to finish. Once again I felt confident that I would get it done but doubt was still an issue. Time seemed to stand still on the last loop. I was amazed that I was still able to shuffle along here and there but the majority of the time was spent walking. I kept thinking to my self what if I blacked out and didn't realize I had lost time. Finishing the Gatehouse loop I asked what time it was and how much distance remained . I remember they said 12k remaining and it was something like 7:20 am. I replied " I am going to complete this aren't I" . Again mathematically I knew I had it but as I went on doubt crept up again. Past the Gatehouse seemed to take forever getting to the entrance to the "Lollypop" loop. At the aide station I asked about time , heard what I need to then went on...still have it in the bag. This loop has one of the biggest climbs on the course. Nearing the top my heart was pounding and I wanted to rest . I knew I had ample time but I was afraid that if I sat down I would pass out and miss the cutoff so I kept going. Finishing the Lolly pop its only 1K to the finsh , a steep climb up a gravel road. Heading up the hill I heard a group of runners coming up behind me, I never looked back but I knew they were gaining on me. I dug deep and finshed the climb without giving up an postions. Completed the last loop in 4hrs20min a whopping 22 minutes faster the the 7th and 5min faster then the 6th loop. As I crossed the finsh line thr RD congratualted me and handed me a Shiny Gold Belt Buckle... I finished with a little over 2 hours to spare!

Results
Entrants Finishers
Total 66 39
Male 51 26
Female 15 13

Splits
1 2:37:57
2 2:42:40 - 5:20:37
3 2:48:20 - 8:08:57
4 2:59:01 - 11:07:57
5 3:13:32 - 14:21:29
6 4:25:30 - 18:46:58
7 4:42:39 - 23:29:36
8 4:20:29 - 27:50:05

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Re: Sulphur Springs 100 Miler - May 28/29 2011

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:13 pm

Congratulations! I loved your report, your honesty, your description of how you were feeling and what you endured..... as someone who wants to start running ultras, I feel it is important to hear The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.....

Well done, and with time to spare!!! :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:18 pm

:clap: :clap: Congratulations, on achieving a huge milestone ... :dance: :dance:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:01 am

Seriously Congratulations is not enough. YOU have inspired ME, I'll run my first 100 there next year, just hope for dry and cool conditions. One thing of note in your report that I was just thinking about this morning on my run were the Quads. I was stunned on how sore mine were after just 4 loops, something to keep in mind for next year, lots of wall sits and downhill running.

Enjoy the recovery, and I hope you have bought a great belt to mount that buckle on and you are wearing it with pride. It was my honour to start this epic adventure with you.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:36 pm

I cannot imagine...congratulations. Great race report. That's simply incredible...

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:44 pm

Way to go Ron!
By coincidence I was talking with someone about the Bruce Trail today and mentioned Charlotte V's record breaking run, so I went back to the monumentaleffort blog and saw the account of your day with Charlotte on the trail. You were ready to succeed!

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:01 pm

Way to push through! Amazing job on your first 100 miler!! I can't even imagine how crazy that is to be running that long!

I love that your last loop was done much faster than the 7th and 6th!! You're strong!! CONGRATS!!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:20 pm

Great report. I love hearing how things went.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:27 pm

I never doubted Ron. You go the distance! Tougher than most for sure, me included. Huge milestone.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:43 pm

I read your report on your blog, great read!! As I said there, you've been ready for this distance for some time now. You've built a solid base over the years.

Congratulations on nailing the 100 miler beast!! Your next one will be so much easier. ;) So, what's next?
Ultrarunner again

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:02 pm

Kinga , I learned a ton and look forward to my next 100 miler. I am pretty sure I have a sub 25 hour in me with a little more training , better prep for my feet and add a little strength training into the mix! My biggest challenge getting to the start of the next one is time. I basically took 3 days to do the race , day 1 prep and travel , day 2 into 3 27hrs50 mins of shuffling along and day 3 return home and recovery. 50Ks and Marathons take less than a day including travel, race and recovery and return.

Strider , an honour indeed … the feeling was mutual. I was very conservative going out so he onset of muscle pain didn’t start to factor in until I got past 100K. Look forward to seeing you out there for your first 100 Miler . You attack everything you do and are hugely successful , you inspire me too!

Orleansrunner1962 it was good and ugly! I remember I kept telling myself out loud that “ I am an idiot , what was I thinking” and “ I will never do this again” . Strangely enough I am now proud of what I have done and I look forward to doing it again.

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:01 pm

Yep he kept repeating "i'm a idot', "i am too old', " never again".

Really it was funny listening to him. Good thing I can feel sympathy for other people.

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:57 pm

Post race translation….

“I’m an idiot” becomes “It was a fantastic is to run 100 miles”
“I am too old” becomes “ becomes “How old is Ed , I have at least a couple of more decades in me”
“never again” becomes “ until next time”

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:28 am

EDIT
Actucally I mean NO sympathy I am a rock and thus kept laughing to myself..... and I knew the translation would be coming. Kinda like having children...until you accidently sign up for your next 100 miler.

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:00 am

West Grey Runner wrote:Post race translation….

“I’m an idiot” becomes “It was a fantastic is to run 100 miles”
“I am too old” becomes “ becomes “How old is Ed , I have at least a couple of more decades in me”
“never again” becomes “ until next time”

Love the report Ron, the post race translation seems alot like like the post marathon ......I will never do this again..becoming....I know what I could do better next time.

You 100 milers.....I amazes me that you can recall so many details and facts afterwards to write the report.
I can only relate to the marathon where late in the event I am just trying to keep going much less do math and remember events along the way.

Congrats
Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:26 am

Huge congrats. I can't even imagine running 26.2 miles, never mind 100. I'm in awe....

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Postby Killerz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:28 am

Well done on nailing your first (of many) 100 miler. I had no doubt you'd do it.

Hopefully see you on the trails at some stage over the summer!

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:38 am

Congrats on you first 100 miler! Great report.

You ultra-marathoners are CRAZY! :lol:
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Return to “Run/Race Reports”