AirForceRunner returns for more punishment, Creemore-style

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:42 pm

2nd year running this, lets be frank, punishing event. I actually had no plans to run it, with the focus being more towards Limberlost. However, Spaff accidentally planted the seed, and I signed up later that day.

Race morning...I was a little late leaving, so breakfast consisted of a banana and a gel. NASTY combination!! In my haste, I also got a little lost heading to the race site, arriving with about 15 mins to spare. :oops: After picking up my race kit, I spotted an RM buff, and introduced myself. Turns out it was AnneElizabeth. We talked for a bit about our training, water intake and goals, and then parted ways. When I got back to my car, I debated switching into my La Sportivas, but decided to stick with the NB Minimus. I would only slightly regret this later on.

Given my lack of training (a couple of runs per week, nothing longer than 10 km), this was to be an easy effort, with a happy goal of anything under 3 hrs. With this in mind, I started at the back, so as to keep the racey side of me in check, and this worked out pretty good. The first km was 6:06...super easy and relaxed.

As we left the trail for the road, another runner came alongside and asked about the Minimus...he was wearing them as well, and wanted to know how I like them. We chatted for the next 15 mins, all the way up the first hill (though Chainsaw claims this isn't a hill...sure felt like one to me). Problem was, in the talking, I ignored me pace, and discovered we were running sub-5 mins/km, way faster than this slightly out of shape body can manage. I told him to go ahead, he stayed a while, but eventually took off when we hit the trails again. I was happy and sad...happy that I could fall back to my planned pace, but sad because he was a pretty cool guy (Ian if memory serves).
It was in this section that the Minimus decision may have cost me a bit. There were a few mud sections, and I typically barrel right through these. I did, but I'm guessing that the more 'open' nature of these shoes allowed mud to get inside, because as the race would progress, it felt more and more like I was rubbing sandpaper across the top of each foot. In the end, I had two abrasion blisters across the top of both feet...this was on my mind the entire race.

What can be said about the course....its punishing and screws with your mind. The hills are long. They look innocent at first, but they can burn out the overly impetuous. You wish for the hills to be over. But here's the thing....the downhills are far more punishing. You almost want to walk down the hills, because your knees are crying for mercy from the steep, high speed, barely in control pounding. But walking downhill...thats just not right, so you continue to abuse yourself, and wish they were over. :lol:

The rest of the course went without incident. O2 hill still sucks the life out of anyone not named Mike Tickner. :lol: Got to shake hands with WestGreyRunner on his way out for a second loop...he was looking strong. The rope assist sections are as dicey as ever. And the suspension bridge at the end can still make even the coolest runner look like a drunk duck.

Overall finish time was 2:49.28...just 4 mintues off last years time, when I was actually running regularly. That in mind, I've got a smile on my face. :D

And as always, the after-race scene is not to be missed. New friends, beer, pizza, and an icy river dip. Chainsaw runs the best show in town, even if his race course is somewhat cruel. Though there was one girl who was in a bad way near the river...Ultraqueenga was frantically trying to get her cooled down. When I left the site, an Ambulance was on its way in. Hope all turned out well. :(

This is a great race...you must try it, even just to say you have. :D

Elevation chart...no wonder they call it vertical.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

msdesigner
Jerome Drayton

Re: AirForceRunner returns for more punishment, Creemore-style

Postby msdesigner » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:37 pm

Well done Rick! And you have just convinced me to never run this one!! ;)
Running 26.2 miles is not limited by physical capabilities but rather by the mind.
Uta Pippig

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:08 pm

Nice comeback race, Rick ...

You do know that, if it was for the "free beer" ... you should have just come to Perth for the 8K Perth Kilt Run .... :shifty: :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:38 pm

AirForceRunner wrote:What can be said about the course....its punishing and screws with your mind. The hills are long. They look innocent at first, but they can burn out the overly impetuous. You wish for the hills to be over. But here's the thing....the downhills are far more punishing. You almost want to walk down the hills, because your knees are crying for mercy from the steep, high speed, barely in control pounding. But walking downhill...thats just not right, so you continue to abuse yourself, and wish they were over. :lol:

Today was my first year running this event - your description is spot on! Congrats on your strong race!
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:12 am

Great job. Be thankful you only did one lap. Lap 2 for me turned into a death march after 40 km!!!

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:44 am

Way to go Rick. You love to get yourself beat up, don't you? :lol:
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:22 am

Good run Rick!! I hope to be out again next year.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:29 am

Crazy as ever AFR!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:17 pm

What, you went back?? :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah there's beer and pizza. See you at the next one.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Whoa... that does look vertical! Nice one- 4 min off your time from last year is pretty good I say.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Doonst wrote:What, you went back?? :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah there's beer and pizza. See you at the next one.

Sucker for punishment, I guess. Its even harder without the proper training.

Sadly, I likely won't be back, with a move to Ottawa in the very near future. :(

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 pm

Glad to meet you!

It is sso punishing but there is something about it that makes it addictive... perhaps it was the wine post?

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:08 am

Huge congrats Rick. Glad it went well for you.
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:06 am

Wow, congratulations!

LeonKomposky
Johnny Miles

Postby LeonKomposky » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:26 am

A pretty nice little last minute race! Well done.
"There are several good protections against temptations, but the surest is cowardice.
" - Mark Twain.

2011:
Jan 16 - Richmond Road Races 5 km - DNF
May 29 - National Capital Marathon – First One!
July 2 - Perth Kilt Run 5 Mile - done!
July 3 – Spartan Race 5 km - done & dirty!
September 18 - Army Run 5K/Half?
October 22 – 9runrun Half Marathon
And a 10K sometime

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:19 am

Well done, Rick! You're such a sucker for punishment. :lol:
Glad you had a good race given the circumstances. I agree with you, people north of Hwy 89 have a weird concept of what is and what isn't a hill.
Ultrarunner again

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:29 pm

Interesting postscript to this report.

I was just reading the trail mag that came in the race package, and it states you should gel every 20 mins, for 300 calories per hour. I gelled twice for the entire race. I also didn't pee after the race until bedtime that night, despite what I thought was decent fluid intake (2 700 ml bottles of water carried, heed at every station, and 2 litres of delicious Mountain Dew after the race. 8) )

Apparently I have some work to do regarding nutrition/hydration. :shock: :oops:

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

-Jack Kerouac

-Smack

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Just seeing this now, Rick- I posted in FB but I will again here- nice race and congratulations!! Hope your feet are recovering. It sounds like you paced this one well.

As for the 300 calories per hour- wouldn't that be more critical for the much longer ultras? Under three hours and you're still not depleting your body's glycogen stores. We've had this discussion before about fueling and it seems most people don't fuel nearly that much for marathon distances and under.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42031

(when I mentioned there that some people recommend 3 gels per hour I was basically told I was crazy...)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Great job Rick. Race is too up and down for me, and given the temps that you have to deal with in July its unlikely I'll ever run it. So I need to live vicariously by reading race reports.
Thanks for posting

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

Return to “Run/Race Reports”