Digging deep at the K-Town Long Course Tri

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:46 pm

Just the Facts:
Good Swim + Killer Bike :twisted: +Tough-it out Run = 1 New PB!! :dance:
Time: 4:14:35, which is 1:07 faster than my PB of 4:15:42 from 2008. :D
Swim+T1: 42:48 (swim alone by my watch was 40:14)
Bike: 1:55:06 - this is a HUGE PB for me. Previous best time on the bike was 2:01:12. ETA: pace on bike was 29.3kph
Run+T2: 1:36:44 (don't have my watch handy, so not sure of my net run time).

ETA: Swim 2K, Bike 56K, Run 15K.
ETA: Swim = 40:14, T1 = 2:54, T2 = 1:28 (but I also have a second "split" of 1:20 before the run, so add 1:20 either to T2, or my run time of 1:34:01)

The Long Story:

I stayed at the C-Moss B&B, along with Mark and his wife Hayley. It was a very relaxing way to spend the day/night before the race. Up at 6, ate breakfast, and out the door just after 6:30. All the pre-race stuff was smooth and uneventful.

Our spots were pre-assigned in transition, so no fighting for a spot. All the usual pre-race stuff: body marking, chatting with friends, getting my chip, into my wetsuit, etc. The men started first, 10 minutes ahead of the women.

I lined up on the right hand side, in direct sight of the first buoy. The swim is sort of a dog-leg shape to the right. It was a little rough at the beginning, but then we all settled into our paces. Unfortunately, there was a woman ahead of me who was swimming the same pace as me, about 1/2 a body length ahead, but she couldn't swim a straight line (or maybe I wasn't :lol: ). Hit the 1000m turn buoy in about 20min, so was happy with that. There was a lot more room on the way back because there were many potential routes to take. I approached the dock at the end and swam to the two biggest/burliest guys I could see to pull me out of the water and onto the dock. Hit the lap split on my watch and it showed 40:14 - awesome! Thanked the volunteers and ran to my bike. I took my time in T1 (2:54) to make sure I didn't forget anything. Goal #1 achieved: 42:48 (goal was <45 min).

Off onto my bike. The course is great. My previous PB on this course was 2:01, but I didn't think I'd done enough training to pull off a ride that fast. That said, with the hip problem I developed this week I was concerned that I might have to shut things down on the run and walk if I started to feel pain again, so I made a point of hammering the bike, not worrying about "saving myself" for the run. The way out was great - I passed a few women (and a few men who'd started 10 minutes ahead!), got re-passed a few times (usually on the uphills). I got up to a max speed of 52kph a few times (4 good downhills - two on the way out, two on the way back). After the turn at Gananoque, I was concerned for my time because there was a very nasty head wind the whole way back. But I'd actually put my Garmin in my Bento Box, so I wasn't really looking at it, just cycling by feel. It wasn't until I hit the stop button coming into T2 that I was shocked to see that not only had I broken the 2-hour barrier, I'd SMASHED by previous PB by 6 minutes! :D

I had a nice smooth T2. I grabbed some water from a volunteer and started out on the run. I forgot to start my Garmin until about 2:50 into the run (and forgot to turn it off right after crossing the finish line), so I don't have accurate run stats. I ran by feel and hit the first Km marker in 5:33! I hit Km 2 in 11:33, so that was good. My first 5K was 28:xx - right on track. But after that, things started to get really tough. From 6-9K there wasn't a speck of shade, so it was a tough long slog in the heat and sun. I had to walk a few times (mostly on steep uphills/downhills, but also at the water stations). I started to feel the pain in my hip (the injury that started on Wednesday night) around the 7K mark. It wasn't as intense as it was the other night, so I was just mindful of not pushing the pace and over-straining it. That wasn't a problem because I was having a tough time in the heat. I was tired and it was a tough slog. I took gels at 6K and 12K and those really helped. I had to walk the final uphill near the Kingston Pen, but then I hit the 12K marker (and a nice flat section in the shade, followed by a downhill) so I got re-energized. I made a pact with myself that after the next water station (about 2.5K from the finish) I couldn't walk anymore. I could slow down my pace, but no walking. I should also mention that when I hit the 9K mark and looked at my watch, I could see that despite my slower than planned pace, I was actually on track for a PB if I could manage a 6:30-ish pace through to the finish. I hit 10K at 3:43, so that meant I had 31 minutes to run the final 5K to get that PB. Honestly, that's what kept me going; I knew I'd be pissed at myself if I walked or slowed down in the last 5K and missed my goal by a few seconds/minutes.

After the final turn onto Ontario Street I could see the finish line in the distance and really just focused on putting one foot in front of the other and not slowing down. When I was finally able to see the clock it said 4:24, but my race had started 10 minutes later, so I knew I was in sub-4:15. A new PB!!

And then the BEST part of the event: the post race food!! :drool: Lasagna, salad, potatoes, rice, bread, diet Pepsi, and pastries. This event has the BEST post-race food - even better than Ironman!

Thanks so much to my gracious hostess, C-Moss, and her human, Jo-Jo. :D Jo-Jo also did an awesome job as run course director - shout out to you and your team of volunteers.

La, out.
Last edited by La on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:55 am, edited 7 times in total.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Digging deeps at the K-Town Long Course Tri

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:55 pm

Congratulations, La! Great time. I'm glad your hip cooperated and you were able to come through with a good result today.

Just curious what the distance and paces are for those legs-- I think I remember but not sure completely.

Eta: oops!! Just saw the edit. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Digging deeps at the K-Town Long Course Tri

Postby La » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:57 pm

Jwolf wrote:Just curious what the distance and paces are for those legs-- I think I remember but not sure completely.

Just edited my post above. 2K/56K/15K Times on Sportstats have T1 included with the swim and T2 included with the run. The only net time is the bike.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Digging deep at the K-Town Long Course Tri

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:57 pm

I am so happy about this. I was sure you were doing great with your training and very motivated. :D :D :D
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:02 pm

Great job La! :clap:
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:32 pm

fantastic!!!! \m/

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:40 pm

Congrats on the PB!
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:48 pm

Well done, cupcake!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:22 pm

Way to go on your PB! Nice solid results. :D
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:48 pm

Great job La, well done! :clap: :clap:
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:05 pm

8) way to go sistah!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:30 pm

Big congrats Lesley! Great report!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:34 pm

Great job! Glad to hear your hip didn't hamper your race.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:38 pm

Good job! I'm glad to hear you had a good race!
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:42 pm

Well done -- sounds like an awesome event and the food sounds delish...!! Congrats on the PB!!!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:50 pm

Great race! Well done.

Also, thanks for inspiring me to get off my lazy ass and run tonight, I had just about convinced myself to stay on the couch, but then read your report and the way you never gave up and the enthusiasm that emanated from your report was what I needed to get my shoes on and head for the door...
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:55 pm

Well done! Heat can be a killer, but it sounds like you had a fantastic day. Congrats!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:11 pm

Nice race and an even better PB! Way to go...
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:38 pm

Just got home from the committee post race "hoopla"(well not much of a hoopla cuz we're all pretty tired :lol: :lol: ) to your wonderful race report. Well done on the PB...it was a stinking hot day out there...and the fact that you PB'd is a testament to how fit you are this season.

I'm going to pass on the comments re the post race food to the committee. We tend to be quite self critical ...and hearing kudos from the athletes is truly music to our ears...and what keeps us going!

Hope to see you next year!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:54 pm

A.MAZ.ING LA! WAY TO GO!! :dance:

I'm glad you surpassed your own expectations :D
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:23 am

Wow, congratulations on an awesome new PB! That run time is crazy fast (I will address that as I have no real point of reference for the other two events...sorry :( but they sound GREAT!) just on its' own, never mind that you had to do two events before it. WAY TO GO!!!! Glad you dug deep to attain a PB. What a testament to your hard work you have been doing, but also to your courage as that is what it takes to go all-out even when feeling yucky!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:28 am

Great race Lesley, congrats on the PB(s), you looked really good when I saw you on both the run and the ride. Great weekend! :)
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:31 am

Nicely done! KTown sounds awesome and hello - don't we all race for good food? :)
Carm

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:34 am

Well done La!

Has Jo-Jo accused you of stealing her toothbrush yet?
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:07 am

Wu-hoooooo!!!! SO happy for you - and so PROUD of you on your ride bytch!! That makes me very happy to read - glad you had a super day - we need to share a tri course again soon!

Excellent - congrats!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”