PEC 1/2- Hop, Hop, Hop

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
erinmcd
Bill Crothers

PEC 1/2- Hop, Hop, Hop

Postby erinmcd » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:06 pm

Get it? I was a pace bunny!

Anyway, that was a blast!

The day didn't start out looking too great- cold, windy, and rainy, but that didn't stop anyone from having a good time. As I was walking around the start area, lots of people told me that they were planning on following me. I started out with a pretty big bunch of people- probably 20-30 or so, and we all stuck together for the 1st 10-12k, until we hit the head wind, and it started to thin out a bit. I had a great bunch of folks- lots chatter & jokes, and everyone was having a good time. At about km 17 you hit "the hill" which I was a bit worried about- I wasn't sure how well the group would handle it. We had banked about 20-30 seconds at that point, so we had a bit of wiggle room. When I got to the top of the hill though, I was all alone! Fortunately what was left of the group (about 6) managed to catch up, and we stuck together until we made the turn onto Main St in Picton (about 1.5km from the finish line) then slowly, they started to leave me in their dust- exactly the way I hoped they would. I came across the finish line with a chip time of 1:59:46- not bad for a rookie bunny! It was great to be walking around the finish area and have all these people come up to thank me and give hugs and tell me that I helped them get a new PB! I'll definitely be back to do more pacing. Also got to meet a couple of Maniacs- Irun4me stuck with me for quite a while and ended up with PB, and I ran into Double Bellybuster as well, who was bunnying the full.

What made this extra special though was that this was my father's first 1/2. He decided back in the spring that he wanted to get in better shape, and he started running, with the goal of doing a 1/2 in the fall (at the spry young age of 59). His training went well, but this past week he came down with a cold which turned into a gunky chest and sinus infection. He was not feeling well this morning, but decided to run anyway- he said he was not going to worry about hitting his goal (2 hours) and would just try to finish. He caught up to me around 8 or 9 km in, and stuck with me for a few km. He ended up dropping back a bit, and I was worried that he was headed for a death march, but shortly after I crossed the line, I ran into my mother and she said that he had already gone past! He finished in 2:00:53- amazing! I'm very impressed!

All in all it was a great day. The weather didn't cooperate, but nothing you can do about that. A great day for a trot around beautiful Prince Edward County!
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

PEC 1/2- Hop, Hop, Hop

Postby purdy65 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:29 pm

How cool! Great job bunny! And big congrats to your dad!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: PEC 1/2- Hop, Hop, Hop

Postby HCcD » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:29 pm

Congratulations, on your first Bunny Hop duties, Erin ... :shifty: :dance: :dance: :dance: Now, go reward yourself with carrots .. :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Great job, bunny!
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Good stuff!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:55 pm

Well done Bunny!!

As a "runner of a certain age" 8) 8) I'm totally impressed by your Dad's debut HalfM...please pass on my congrats!!

It was a pretty miserable day out there (I did a 10km run this morning and it was pretty windy in Kingston)...so kudos!!!

Rest well!!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

irun4me
Tom Longboat

Postby irun4me » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:00 pm

You did a great job today Erin. It was nice to meet you. You are officially the first maniac I've met (I know a few others but I knew them before I knew what a maniac was). Wish I could have stayed a little closer to your pack but thank-you for pacing me to a new PB. Congratulations again to your dad. He had a fantastic finish under not so well conditions (both him and the weather). Hope he feels better soon.

April
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:59 pm

Really nice! Congrats to your dad.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:01 pm

Congrats on your pacing job. Banking a little to give back on "the hill" was perfect strategy. Having your dad run with you would have made it extra special.

Kudos to both of you.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:50 am

That's awesome...congrats!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”