Marathon runners are arrogant, narcissistic, babies

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
c_mcpeake
Johnny Miles

Postby c_mcpeake » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:02 pm

So been a lot of dissing of Ultras lately please take the time to take a read of my blog and dont be shy on commenting.

http://chrismcpeake.blogspot.ca/2012/03 ... ogant.html
2014 races (this year)
June 22 Mohican 100m, July 5 Creemore 50k, July 12 Limberlost 56k, Aug 8 Dirty Girls 48hr, Sept 6 Haliburton 100, Oct 11 Oil Creek 100m
coaching site: http://www.candcrunningfactory.com/
personal blog: http://www.chrismcpeake.blogspot.ca/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:12 pm

I think you could have made your point without the inciting tone.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Re: Marathon runners are arrogant, narcissistic, babies

Postby fingerboy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:31 pm

Forgot the coffee this morning? I'm laughing with you not at you.

Personally, I don't want to run an ultra but I do enjoy trails. I run road races because there's the most excitement - its comparable - beating millions of people over time who ever were or will be doing the same thing. That's my thing. I want want to put down the fastest times I can (in whatever race I do) to give my kids or anyone who wants to follow me a challenge whether they take it up or not. Its my symbol of what I can do. Then again this is only running, not every activity in any possible way.

I can see why you're pissed. I am too when people knock the sport. However I sort of see what Rory is writing about. I really didn't read the other ones. I see your comment to your Dan guy, but I didn't read his blog. You have to have a mind set, and as you've clearly pointed out, its easy to start getting negative at other runners.

For better or worse, the marathon is where it's at (right now). In the 70s it was the mile. Now its the marathon. Maybe one day it will be the 100m dash like the Bailey/Johnson fight might have made it into, or move up to the 50k or 100miler.

I understand what Rory is saying because as a runner I am frustrated with many events and how they are organized. At the same time I wish no one ever asked how fast the first runner was and we all just ran for fun. But competing is fun, and I'd love to see a bit more of an Olympic type atmosphere in a more local setting. No I'm not #1. I think I was somewhere between #130,000-140,000 of all marathon runners last year. But I want to get faster and I will continue to do what I'm doing for as long as I'm doing it and that makes me happy. I do like waves and I do like feeling like a rockstar for running as fast as I do. Who wouldn't? I have my idols too and I think we all do.

Anyways, I don't think attacking ultras or 6hr marathoners is new nor is attacking anyone who is slower than you or weaker in any sport or aspect of life. I might poke fun of someone who's looking to run a 6 hr marathon at Boston (true story - charity entry), but I recognize my humility knowing I'm not the fastest either.

As for medals - I think they're mostly stupid too. The only ones I'm in favour of are the performance rated ones like Around the Bay or Boxing Day 10 miler (gold vs silver vs bronze ,or gold vs bronze, respectively). It makes you think there's something achievable and excitable. But you know what? it really doesn't matter. If you run 135 miles at Badwater and get a belt buckle, are you more special? Because you trained and went passed normal human limits? No. It sounds special to me, but the next 50 will think your nuts and the 100 after will at least respect it. If I run a sub 3 marathon I will also go well beyond normal human limits, but only because again, this is comparable only to other marathoners. Should ever marathoner who trains 80k a week, runs a sub 4 start going for Badwater or the Deathrace, maybe the times will start dropping rapidly too. Maybe it's only time before a 15 hr 100 miler is seen as slow.

Anyways, it's all relative, my post is long, and you just gotta do what you enjoy. There will always be haters out there, but if you didn't' give up after the haters started saying your 1/2 marathon was crazy or running 40km before 9am, why give up now?

c_mcpeake
Johnny Miles

Postby c_mcpeake » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:09 pm

Jwolf , thanks for the comment ... yes i could have but I write what I think and feel so thats kind of how it is. If you have ever read my blog before you know that I rarely if ever call out others. I would say that your comment actually tells me I have got it just about right.

fingerboy, thanks as well. I wont say much about the Canadian running blog as I will have a long posting about that. I agree with some of it, disagree with other parts of it. I have no prob with runners that are still working on bettering their times. Nothing wrong with that at all and all the more power to you. Many of my road friends are doing just that as well as marathon runners that I am coaching. Each of us must seek out our own reasons for running. I only get upset when others want to stick me in a box and devalue what I am and what I do in some attempt to make themselves feel more important. Its kind of sad really.
2014 races (this year)
June 22 Mohican 100m, July 5 Creemore 50k, July 12 Limberlost 56k, Aug 8 Dirty Girls 48hr, Sept 6 Haliburton 100, Oct 11 Oil Creek 100m

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:24 pm

I don't understand why you get so upset about what others think of your running. You're doing it for your own reasons, not for them, so if they can't be supportive, offer suggestions, or even constructive criticism, ignore them.

c_mcpeake
Johnny Miles

Postby c_mcpeake » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks Jgore,
Actually not that upset I would call it more annoyed. I do run for me and mostly do ignore them. Just felt this was something that needed to be said. If I put a great deal of stock into others criticisms I would not make my views so public. Enjoy your running.
Last edited by c_mcpeake on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 races (this year)

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Don't feel so special. There's a lot of dissing of everything lately.

I blame the internets. Its easy to be an internet tough guy and make fun of somebody else's hobby. Its a unique time in human history which has allowed each of us to seek out articles, documentaries, blog posts, etc. which confirm how correct we are about all of our beliefs and that everyone else is an idiot.

This is getting played out everywhere. Eleven different kinds of cyclists are pointing and laughing at one another. Barefoot runners are laughing at everyone. Everyone's laughing at the crossfit crew. Everybody makes fun of pace bunnies, running room groups, triathletes, people who aspire to be fast, runners who wear headphones, people who don't care if they're fast...

Your blog is a good reminder to be appreciative and not dismissive of the efforts of others, instead of just snarky.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

c_mcpeake
Johnny Miles

Postby c_mcpeake » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:06 pm

thanks turd,
that seems like a strange thank you now doesnt it.
Yeah I know it so mostly I say nothing about it. Its sad really. I am actually one of those people that believes that anything that someone is doing that is creating and adding to their world and their life experience in a positive way is worthy in itself.

Some of the greatest running experiences I have had have also been my biggest running failures. I dont know why people just cant enjoy the ride, its going to be over for each of us in the not to distance future.
2014 races (this year)

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:22 pm

If it makes you feel even-steven, as a member of Ontario's "non-ultra" trail running community I've been fed a very steady diet of snark from ultramarathoners. Maybe it's just the human condition.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:26 pm

dgrant wrote:If it makes you feel even-steven, as a member of Ontario's "non-ultra" trail running community I've been fed a very steady diet of snark from ultramarathoners. Maybe it's just the human condition.

Exactly my point. We should write an article about arrogant, pretentious ultrarunners.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:39 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
dgrant wrote:If it makes you feel even-steven, as a member of Ontario's "non-ultra" trail running community I've been fed a very steady diet of snark from ultramarathoners. Maybe it's just the human condition.

Exactly my point. We should write an article about arrogant, pretentious ultrarunners.

Yep...I'd say it's pretty much the human condition.

I did read the blog post. I wasn't offended one bit. (mind you at this stage of my "life game" it takes a lot to offend/annoy/distress me :lol: :lol: :wink: )

I will confess that at the beginning of my "running career" I was focused on improving times.
Now...not so much. I'm running because I enjoy it. I'm more focused these days on spending quality time with my aging dog...these days it seems I prefer to spend an hour out in the woods/creek after work with her than an hour tempo run.
I may get back to "race focus' running some day...or maybe not. All I know is that at age 59 I'm fitter than I was 20 years ago...and hope to continue to be "fit as a fiddle" :D :wink:
Last edited by Jo-Jo on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:00 pm

Say it loud, I am narcissistic and proud.

In fact that's about all my life is for: me!

:lol:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

c-moss
Tom Longboat

Postby c-moss » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:03 pm

TexasSpirit wrote:Say it loud, I am narcissistic and proud.

In fact that's about all my life is for: me!

:lol:

ummm...no...it's all about me.
Still have time to cancel your room at the C-Moss B&B :lol: :wink:
Jo-Jo's Amazing Dog ...and owned in cyberspace by HCiD

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:10 pm

Meh, I was more angered by the poor grammar and spelling. I don't know about others but I just love to see folk out running, fast or slow, trails, pavement, whatever. It's the "look at me, tell me how great I am" crowd (in all walks of life) that piss me off. Plaudits should be earned not expected.

PS: I have never tried to qualify for Boston.
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

c_mcpeake
Johnny Miles

Postby c_mcpeake » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:26 pm

dgrant - sorry about that. Its wrong either way you cut it.

turd - according to some ( not on this forum) I have already written blog about arrogant, pretentious ultrarunners and you just read it.

Jo-Jo I could not agree more.

texas spirit and c-moss - no no its all about me, I though that was clear ;-)

mas_runner - yes sorry about that I just typed and posted. I promise to edit posts more closely in the future, you are not the only one pointing this out. Also I think that you have hit the nail on the head. I try in my blog to spend as much time on my failures as I do on my successes as I find it somewhat therapeutic. I don't need plaudits even when successful as I am really running for me.
2014 races (this year)

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:36 am

With the exception of the title (which I know you did to grab attention), I really enjoyed this article. It really 'ripped the band-aid' off and exposed what has been quiet grumbling for awhile.
If I didn't know you, I might have taken this as a bit 'holier than thou'. Having met you (albeit briefly at Dirty Girls), and being a fan of your blog (for me required reading for OUS folk), I know you are pretty well grounded and honest (sometimes to a fault in your own critiques of some of your performances. :lol: )
Thanks for taking the time to write what many are thinking.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:59 am

anybody who pukes as much as Chris and shares it with the world can't be too arrogant. Except, I guess puking is a kudo! :lol:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:04 am

turd ferguson wrote:

People who write blog posts and then link to them through an internet forum with an inflammatory title in order to drive traffic are arrogant and narcissistic.

:roll:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:58 am

I loved it. It's something I've felt about running ever since I started racing. I find that a lot, the elite attitude by some runners at events especially, that they are better than you. I find runners can be the nicest people you'll ever encounter and sometimes the complete opposite. I'm running Boston this year, and on another message board, I commented which I seldom do, because of the negative comments around wave 3.....that's where I am. I was proud to be there too. Then a comment was made about this is where you end up when you don't aspire to run anything faster than a BQ...or something like that.... I've never noticed the bias against ultra runners to be honest, but in reading your post can see why you would be offended. The best part of your blog entry for me was this

For the life of me I cant understand why runners feel the need to attack other runners. Maybe they want attention or it makes them feel superior. It's even worse when the claims fall to stand up to any kind of real scrutiny. So lets try that.

c_mcpeake
Johnny Miles

Postby c_mcpeake » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:14 am

La - sorry but i guess you kind of missed the point. Thats okay tho.
The inflammatory title was not to drive traffic. Do you see anything commercial on my blog page? Anything at all?
If I wished to drive traffic I would have used my extensive knowledge of SEO and SEM (a subject I teach at the college level). My blog post isn't even optimized.
The title was meant to poke the bear in the greater context of the piece and clearly it worked. In fact it seems to have worked too well.

If you wish to believe that I am arrogant and narcissistic thats okay. If you want to project your own believes on what you think my agenda is thats fine to. Its a free country and you are free to have any opinion you wish.

Many people on this forum actually know me or read my blogs regularly, they know what my deal is.
2014 races (this year)

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:17 am

Robinandamelia wrote:I loved it. It's something I've felt about running ever since I started racing. I find that a lot, the elite attitude by some runners at events especially, that they are better than you. I find runners can be the nicest people you'll ever encounter and sometimes the complete opposite. I'm running Boston this year, and on another message board, I commented which I seldom do, because of the negative comments around wave 3.....that's where I am. I was proud to be there too. Then a comment was made about this is where you end up when you don't aspire to run anything faster than a BQ...or something like that.... I've never noticed the bias against ultra runners to be honest, but in reading your post can see why you would be offended. The best part of your blog entry for me was this

For the life of me I cant understand why runners feel the need to attack other runners. Maybe they want attention or it makes them feel superior. It's even worse when the claims fall to stand up to any kind of real scrutiny. So lets try that.

It's been my experience ( I know about half a dozen Elites...as in they are in the top of their field whether it be HalfM distnce, 10,0000 metre or Ironman) that these Elites are humble, welcoming and encouraging to recreational runners/triathletes like myself. It's the Elite Wannabes(fast age groupers who are great athletes but will likely never be an Elite) that are sometimes condescending and very demanding on a race course (this from a volunteer perspective)...again just my own experience.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:24 am

Jo-Jo wrote:
Robinandamelia wrote:I loved it. It's something I've felt about running ever since I started racing. I find that a lot, the elite attitude by some runners at events especially, that they are better than you. I find runners can be the nicest people you'll ever encounter and sometimes the complete opposite. I'm running Boston this year, and on another message board, I commented which I seldom do, because of the negative comments around wave 3.....that's where I am. I was proud to be there too. Then a comment was made about this is where you end up when you don't aspire to run anything faster than a BQ...or something like that.... I've never noticed the bias against ultra runners to be honest, but in reading your post can see why you would be offended. The best part of your blog entry for me was this

It's been my experience ( I know about half a dozen Elites...as in they are in the top of their field whether it be HalfM distnce, 10,0000 metre or Ironman) that these Elites are humble, welcoming and encouraging to recreational runners/triathletes like myself. It's the Elite Wannabes(fast age groupers who are great athletes but will likely never be an Elite) that are sometimes condescending and very demanding on a race course (this from a volunteer perspective)...again just my own experience.

Totally agree with this! The elites are very gracious and friendly, totally agreee...well said.

c_mcpeake
Johnny Miles

Postby c_mcpeake » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:39 am

Airforcerunner - thanks, will see you out on the trail this year or maybe even in a road race if I am not put into witness protection over this post. Some are accusing me of being holier then thou, thats okay. Some will get it, some will not. I knew that would happen. Also some will agree some will not and thats cool too. Airing it out is healthy.

TexasSpirit - if puking is a kudo it is a terrible one which I will gladly never get again. Hopefully no kudos for me this year.

Robin - thanks, you are going to have a ball at Boston. Strangely enough some see my post as an attack on other runners which is a half truth but it suits them to see it that way. My attack is on people who want to define themselves as superior by looking down on and devaluing what others do. In this case they are mostly but not all runners but its not their running or the fact they run that is my issue.

Jo-Jo - This has also been my experience as well. Most actual best in their sport people are very gracious and humble. I am so far away from the top that not getting there is not in the realm of possibilities but it must be really hard to be close enough to see the top and not be able to get there. I imagine that would be very frustrating for some. I know it would be for me. Most handle it well but other dont. Welcome to the human condition.
2014 races (this year)

LadyVo2
Johnny Miles

Postby LadyVo2 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:58 am

I have to admit that I always thought that ultra runners are from a weird running specie ...
unfortunately, you posting this message in the "race report" section does not do anything to change my perception :lol:
But that said, I was not offended by the comments - they actually made me laugh (a good laugh, not a mean laugh )
Keep on running!
AKA Lady V
Races in 2013:
Course populaire Lasalle - registered, Not done
Scotia 21.1K Montreal - registered, Not done
My first race sine April 2012: Defi Gerard Coté - May 2013 - 5K - 25:41
Others to be added

PaleSnail
Tom Longboat

Postby PaleSnail » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:22 am

Thank goodness I'm not a marathon runner. I dodged a bullet on that one.

I do think I am superior though #-O

Return to “Run/Race Reports”