WPS Half 2012

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

WPS Half 2012

Postby DonnaRigs » Sun May 06, 2012 7:28 pm

This was the first time I had ever run this course before, and I can't say I was really looking forward to it - I was (I felt) sincerely undertrained, and having been in the field last week, knew I would be really tired. When I woke up this morning, I felt horrid, headache, tired, sore. I wanted to roll over and go back to sleep.

But this run was important. I felt it was really important to exhaust myself as completely as I could, physically. The trouble sleeping and eating, I needed to "clear the mechanism" and this was the best way I could come up with on short notice. I knew I would finish the race.

Walking around alone before the race kind of sucked. I was lonely, and with everything, I still wanted to walk off and drive home. I kept my eyes peeled for people I knew, and overheard some funny conversations (a boyfriend simply telling his girlfriend, who was nervous about her first half, "Okay, have fun" and walk away), a few people worrying about the weather and then finally, some familiar faces - Lisa and Steve! YAY! We chatted and I got hugs.

I lined up a little behind the 2:30 pace bunny. I figured this seemed like a good spot and was equally thrilled to see someone else I knew, from the military, who pointedly asked me "How are YOU?" I knew then that he knew, but it was okay.

The weather was overcast and cool. As the Herc went over to start the race, I hit my watch. We caterpillared for a bit, then finally crossed the start. I decided to make this race as fun and relaxed as I could, except no walk breaks in the first three miles. I wanted a pretty good idea of a comfy five K pace. I also knew I had to stop at every water station, since I was not carrying any. This was also the first race I had ever worn my hair down and back with a sweaty band.

I had to pause briefly at the water station just before 3 miles, but made it there in about 30 minutes - YAY! One runner in front of me had a beautiful Lulu jacket on and was taking it off - if she dropped it, I was grabbing it. She tied it around her waist. I admit to vulturing her for a while to see if the knot would give, but no dice. Pity :D

The course is a good one, well organized and pretty. I didn't start any conversations for a while, until after the first turnaround, on Wellington, when I started chatting with Jeanette, one of the Super Friends from Gord's with a cape. She stayed with me all the way to the relay hand off, and she was very encouraging and did not leave me until she had to, since she was a relay runner.

At the first pass of the footbridge, she was gone and I was alone again. I found myself smiling a lot, and thanked every volunteer I interacted with. Just before Moray, I passed Speedy Steve going the other way, who called out to me. It was great timing, I was feeling low.

Moray was a little tough, but only because it started to rain on us, vs just misting. The wind on the bridge is cold, and we were wet by then, so it felt pretty crappy. I met my next temporary haven, Michelly, who was suffering. She was also a relay runner, and suffering from shin splints. We chatted about it and I gave her my tips (from my own experience). I let her set the pace and we finished the bridge together. I left her just after that since it was important to me I was mostly on my own.

The voluteers were friendly and kind, cheering even in the damp, and I had a smile for every single one.

I realized I was really hungry, and was really grateful to a guy with a bowl of orange slices. I may have told him I loved him.

Up Woodhaven, this is a pretty area and I would like to live here. Faced the sky and thanked God for stopping the rain, but couldn't remember when it actually stopped. Back up to Portage, I chatted with Arsenio, who was suffering from IT band. I commiserated, since mine was also sore, but I focused on not turning my knee inward, which helped. Danced a little to "Rum and Redbull" a catchy tune from Jamaica. The people around me made many comments that I seemed too happy. Maybe I was!

I was taking turns passing and being passed by this pair of women, it was a joke, but it helped pass the time. Mile 12 was the prettiest mile marker sign I had ever seen, and since I knew it was coming, I ran past the pair again and cackled heartily - a police officer actually called out, "You can't let her get away with that, pass her!"

But that wasn't going to happen. I passed mile 12 and temporarily teamed up with another relay runner - she was hurting, and also had full make-up. I stayed with her until we crossed the footbridge, but she was bringing me down and I had a last minute kick. Away I went and passed four or five people, including one that I nearly ran into since he suddenly went left in front of me without checking. I was grinning as I crossed the line. Fastest time yet - somewhere around 2:35 (clock time was 2:38)

Getting my medal and scarf, I walked out under the grey sky and was shocked when I felt the tears welling. Had a good cry on the way to the car.

I don't think I left everything out on that course, but I certainly left some out there. Home now. Super tired and have a pounding headache. Going to get my ITB worked on and do CrossFit tomorrow (trainer promises to leave my legs alone).

Life continues, as it should, after the Bad passes.
Last edited by DonnaRigs on Mon May 07, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

WPS Half 2012

Postby Kelodie » Sun May 06, 2012 7:44 pm

Sounds like you made the best out of a race you headed into in less than stellar conditions. Good job!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: WPS Half 2012

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun May 06, 2012 7:59 pm

I'm so happy you went to the race. I understand about the cleansing of running. More power to ya! :dance:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

LisaB
Bill Crothers

Postby LisaB » Sun May 06, 2012 8:13 pm

Congrats on a great race!

Too bad we didn't see each other before. I kept looking around for Maniacs. Only saw Karen cheering at the foot bridge and Mouse after.
Lisa
2012:
Resolution Run - 5km - done
Hypothermic Half - done
WPS Half Marathon - done
5km & Fargo Marathon - done - done
Air Force 5km - done
Manitoba Half Marathon - done
Try a Trail 6km - done
Lockport Half Marathon - done
Winnipeg 10/10 - 10km
Fire & Paramedic Half Marathon

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Sun May 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Good for you. It sounds like it was hard to get out there but you did! Nicely written journey.
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sun May 06, 2012 10:03 pm

That sounds like a very good run :D

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Sun May 06, 2012 10:34 pm

:D :D :D
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun May 06, 2012 11:14 pm

Way to go Donna.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon May 07, 2012 6:44 am

Way to go!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon May 07, 2012 10:30 am

So glad you ran!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Mon May 07, 2012 10:41 am

Good on you Donna...Conditions were probably the best of all the years I've run that race and aside from the intermittent rain showers temps were perfect...A solid finish is always a good thing!! Was this a course PB or 1/2 PB? Either way Awesome!!

(Unfortunately I had to pull out of the race at mile 4. My calf pretty much blew up.. :cry: :cry: I was able to watch part of the race from the Relay Exchange Zone but didn't see you again before we had to get going - good to hear you had a good race!)
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Mon May 07, 2012 12:00 pm

IronColl wrote:So glad you ran!

As am I!
Way to finish that race, and smile throughout :D
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Mon May 07, 2012 3:39 pm

NewFinnLoper wrote:Good on you Donna...Conditions were probably the best of all the years I've run that race and aside from the intermittent rain showers temps were perfect...A solid finish is always a good thing!! Was this a course PB or 1/2 PB? Either way Awesome!!

(Unfortunately I had to pull out of the race at mile 4. My calf pretty much blew up.. :cry: :cry: I was able to watch part of the race from the Relay Exchange Zone but didn't see you again before we had to get going - good to hear you had a good race!)

I read about your calf on FB - what's going on with that? I sort of count on you as my crazy inspiration ever since I saw you at a Resolution Run in shorts!!

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Mon May 07, 2012 3:43 pm

DonnaRigs wrote:
NewFinnLoper wrote:Good on you Donna...Conditions were probably the best of all the years I've run that race and aside from the intermittent rain showers temps were perfect...A solid finish is always a good thing!! Was this a course PB or 1/2 PB? Either way Awesome!!

I read about your calf on FB - what's going on with that? I sort of count on you as my crazy inspiration ever since I saw you at a Resolution Run in shorts!!

I wish I knew...Have NEVER had issues before and then Wham! When I get some solid answers I'll let you know. In the meantime I'm still trying to process my first DNF... :(

But I'm touched to be anyone's inspiriation 8) Thanks!
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon May 07, 2012 7:35 pm

Nicely done, Donna ... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Mon May 07, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks all! I guess I should actually try to train for the next one and see if I can improve. :)

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Mon May 07, 2012 9:39 pm

Glad that you got out there and raced this one Donna.
Can't wait to see what you do with a full training cycle.

Congrats to you.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon May 07, 2012 9:39 pm

Congrats on a great race!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue May 08, 2012 12:04 pm

so glad you did the race and SO glad you had a great one! congrats!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Tue May 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Donna, I'm so happy you opted to get up and go, and pounded the pavement. Nicely done :D

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Sat May 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Well done Donna! I also was looking out for familiar faces, but didn't find anybody until after the race (Hi Mouse!)
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Sat May 12, 2012 3:25 pm

daddy_runner wrote:Well done Donna! I also was looking out for familiar faces, but didn't find anybody until after the race (Hi Mouse!)

I *thought* I saw you in the parking lot, but I was already driving home, and after my little cry, wasn't feeling super sociable. Were you wearing an orange shirt?

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Sun May 13, 2012 1:14 pm

DonnaRigs wrote:
daddy_runner wrote:Well done Donna! I also was looking out for familiar faces, but didn't find anybody until after the race (Hi Mouse!)

I *thought* I saw you in the parking lot, but I was already driving home, and after my little cry, wasn't feeling super sociable. Were you wearing an orange shirt?

I had a bright orange running jacket on. I had a long walk to my car, in the south Zoo parking lot.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Return to “Run/Race Reports”