HCcD's 2012 Ottawa Marathon Medal - Worth Puking For ...

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun May 27, 2012 4:55 pm

The 2012 Ottawa Marathon is one that will definitely stand out, as one of the memorable marathons of my 28 marathons that I have completed ... No, I did not set a PB, but, I did end up leaving it all on the course, well at least on kilometer's 34, 36., 37 and 38 .. ;) Not sure if it was something that I ate the past day or so, a bad gel or perhaps, one of the water stations that did not agree with me on the course, but, it was very unusual, as I usually consider myself having a cast-iron stomach ...

As a result, I ended finishing the last 8K in time of 1:16:xx ... yikes ... having said that, besides puking several times, I did slow the pace and walk quite a bit, as well as stopping to chat with friends along the course over the last 5K, for a minute or two at tines .... Ooops ...

One of the benefits of having friends on the course, provides you with support and motivation to push on .. and, on the other hand, when you are having a tough day, it also allows you to take short social breaks, to allow the body, mind and spirit to recover, as well .. Afterall, with any time goals already out the window .. just finishing the race is the only concern, and the actual finishing time does not really matter, anymore .... Having said that, I ended up crossing my 28th Marathon in 4:00:05 ...

When I first signed up for the Ottawa Marathon back in the spring, it was to serve as two possible options ... the first being to either celebrate a strong Vancouver Marathon result, only 3 weeks earlier, or as another attempt to BQ for Boston 2013 .. As things did not go as planned in Vancouver, the latter option kicked in ... even that was skirted a bit, as I ended straining my calf/gastrocs/soleus muscle last week, and spent the most of the last two weeks resting and/or taking very short runs, and even considered DNS'ng in the race, if things did not improve dramtically ... Thankfully, with appointments with my RMT from Absolute Massage Therapy and my Chiropractor ... I was good to go .. though, in the back of my mind, my confidence for achieving my time goal had diminished a bit, as a result ... as I also realized that attempting to race two marathons in a span of 3 weeks, may have been a bit over ambitious, in hindisght ....

Anyways, the decision was to be on the start line this morning and stay just ahead of the 3:30:xx pace bunny .. How long that would be, depended on how long my leg strain would take me today, but, I had to give it a shot ....

Arrived at the race site early in the morning, played my musical port-a-potty musical chairs .. then met up with Jesse, Jes, Carm, Andrea at the meeting point in front of Starbucks @Lord Elgin, and also spotted ChrisL, and David Daze from RM, as well as a bunch of other RM and peeps from K2J Fitness, as well as having members from my Euro-sports Running Team along the course was nice

We all parted ways and headed to our respective corrals about 10 minutes efore the start of the race .. Once the gun goes off, I fell into a nice rythm and took in my fluids/gels on a regular schedule ... Hit the 10K mark @48:14 ... feeling good ... then we hit the Western Parkway and into Gatineau ... still feeling good at 21.1K @1:43:25 .... held my pace for the Gatineau portion, but lost touch with the 3:30:xx pace bunny at about 25K,, then upon crossing the Alexandria Bridge and heading to Sussex, the sun came out behind the clouds, and it felt as if the temperature jumped 3-4 degrees quickly at about 27K... and, suddenly, I started to feeling it, and, continued on, on Sussex ... by kilometer 28, the 3:35 pace bunny had passed me and, the rest of the race was just about race management and, trying not to do anything st*pid and injure myself by pushing too hard, as I knew my race was over at 30K when my Garmin read 2:34:xx ....

It was then somewhere between 30-32K that I started to feel a bit o nausea, and wasn't sure if it was caused by the heat, something that I had consumed at a water station and/or a bad gel ?? And, finally at the 34K mark, I did something that I had never done before in a race ... I stopped and keeled over and puked ... yikes !! walked a bit there after, then started running again ... Just a few minutes later, I passed Kelodie .. stopped and chatted a bit, mentioned that I had puked, and she responded ... ".. just take it easy, Andy, and don't do anything st*pid .." ... good words of wisdom, that girl has ... At about 36K, I stopped and puked again, as well at 37K and at 38K ... Passed Nick and his Kanata Crew at about 28K, stopped and chatted a bit, then carried on ... then a few hundred meters later, heard a voice from the other side of the road, and it was a few peeps from my K2J Fitness Group, and, of course, I had to go over and stop and chat with them .. those stops actually me a bit, by giving my a bit of rest, but were "time suckers" ... At about the 40K mark or so, and it was David Grant, so I stopped chatted for a few seconds, before he told me to "... keep moving, and don't stop ..." as I would likely stiffen up ... anyhoo, just 2 more kilometers to go and I would be done ...

You will never know how long those last 2KM's felt ... It was nice seeing the countdown signs at 400m to go, then 300m, then 200m, then 100m and all of a sudden the Finish Line banner, just ahead ... heard the Finish LIne Hosts (John Stanton and ??) commenting that ...".. we just passed the 4 hour mark, but, for some, their chip time may still be under 4 hours ..." so, I picked it up as much as I could, and crossed at 4:00:05 ...

Marathon #28 is now in the books ... ;)
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

carm
Bill Crothers

Re: HCcD's 2012 Ottawa Marathon Medal - Worth Puking For ...

Postby carm » Sun May 27, 2012 5:01 pm

Congrats on Marathon 28! Sorry to hear that you left it all out on the course (in a bad way). Recover well and after a solid summer of training, I look forward to seeing how you do during your fall marathons. I still think that it was that stinky metallic water at that last water station in Gatineau. There was something off with that water.
Carm

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun May 27, 2012 5:09 pm

Ugh- Andy! Only in reading this now did I know what you meant by "leaving it out there." That's never happened in any of the first 27, eh? Consider yourself lucky.

Bad break today but as I said in your journal, you have an amazing running spirit. Recover well- lots of Gatorade!!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sun May 27, 2012 5:54 pm

I'm glad you listened to me, Andy. You had me worried when I saw you at 35k! All I could think about was Luc's race report and I really hoped you would slow down a bit and finish standing up.

Congratulations on your 28th marathon!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun May 27, 2012 5:55 pm

There must have been some bad water out there today! You and I puked, and Carm felt nauseous. Or the heat just brought it out.

I'm blaming the water, it makes me feel less wimpy :lol:
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun May 27, 2012 5:58 pm

Andy, I didn't catch on to the "leaving it out there" either. Yikes, rest and recover. You know you'll be doing another one.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun May 27, 2012 6:00 pm

jes wrote:There must have been some bad water out there today! You and I puked, and Carm felt nauseous. Or the heat just brought it out.

I'm blaming the water, it makes me feel less wimpy :lol:

I believe it was the water...

Good job getting it done Andy. Loved seeing you again!!!!!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Sun May 27, 2012 6:01 pm

Yikes! Well congrats on #28. You rock!
IMC 2015

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun May 27, 2012 6:15 pm

You still rock Andy no matter the time. Hope your tummy settled this afternoon.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun May 27, 2012 6:21 pm

sorry it wasn't the day you hoped for! rest up!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Sun May 27, 2012 7:08 pm

You should write a book on the mental of the marathon and getting to the finish despite obstacles. I think you've faced them all and still made it across the finish line proud of your accomplishment. I bet John Stanton would publish it :D

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Sun May 27, 2012 7:30 pm

Most people would have quit after puking 3-4 times, but not you Andy. Tough guy congratuation!

Since we finish within a minute or two, did you see the guy at the 200m mark from the end who had a heart stopage or a heart attack? I almost trip on him as I did not realize that he was there.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sun May 27, 2012 7:39 pm

I was kind of happy to hear that it was stomach issues and not your leg/foot/ankle stuff. REally bad break out there today but at least now that it's over, it's over and you can carry on. I've been there before and it's tough. But you stuck it out to get your medal and you are a role model for so many of us. Congrats on #28.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun May 27, 2012 7:51 pm

:wink:
ChrisL wrote:Most people would have quit after puking 3-4 times, but not you Andy. Tough guy congratuation!

Since we finish within a minute or two, did you see the guy at the 200m mark from the end who had a heart stopage or a heart attack? I almost trip on him as I did not realize that he was there.

I did notice that runners having to swerve around, for whatever reason, and when I ran past at that point, I did notice a runner on the ground with at least 2-3 people around him ....

I was only 8K from the finish line, and was able to continue moving forward, and figured that it was likely faster to just walk it in, if I had to, with a 7 hour time limit, than to wait and hope for a paddy-wagon to come by, if at all ... :shock:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun May 27, 2012 7:53 pm

AndyM wrote:I was kind of happy to hear that it was stomach issues and not your leg/foot/ankle stuff. REally bad break out there today but at least now that it's over, it's over and you can carry on. I've been there before and it's tough. But you stuck it out to get your medal and you are a role model for so many of us. Congrats on #28.

Thanks Andrea ... though, I thought we had an agreement before the race started that you would pick me up and kick my @$$ to the finish line, when you ran passed me on the course ??? :snooty: :snooty: :snooty: :shifty: :wink:

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun May 27, 2012 8:56 pm

Hope it wasn't rude for me to basically tell you to get lost and keep moving along the course :lol: , but you looked like you were right at that breaking point where stopping for any length would have ended your race. Nice guts to soldier on to the finish line. 8)

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Sun May 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Sorry it was a tough one.

28 marathons is impressive. Well done.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sun May 27, 2012 9:24 pm

HCcD wrote:Thanks Andrea ... though, I thought we had an agreement before the race started that you would pick me up and kick my @$$ to the finish line, when you ran passed me on the course ??? :snooty: :snooty: :snooty: :shifty: :wink:

ZRC member FAIL, AndyM! :lol: Hope you have been electrolyting up this afternoon and evening, Andy.
Carm

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Sun May 27, 2012 9:39 pm

Tough one out there Andy. But a positive that you had no calf issues and are able to train forward towards your summer races and marathons #29 and #30 to close out the year.

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Sun May 27, 2012 9:50 pm

fiddlesticks Andy. I said that too when I got the text from Size5 this morning with your time.

sorry it wasn't your day. you'll get it back. you know it.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Sun May 27, 2012 10:11 pm

CinC wrote:fiddlesticks Andy. I said that too when I got the text from Size5 this morning with your time.

sorry it wasn't your day. you'll get it back. you know it.

Fiddlesticks is right. Sorry about your day, but I'm also glad to hear it's illness, not injury that messed up your day - much easier to recover from! Rest up & recover quickly!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sun May 27, 2012 10:14 pm

You have to take the award for fulfilling the saying "leave it all on the course" :wink: YIKES.
I'm sorry that you had such a tough day but am in awe that you pushed through and finished the damn thing.

Rest up and feel better.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:34 pm

Andy, seriously, you deserve a Boston break! I guess that is leaving it all out there. Your raced tons, one day it will be your day the way you hope!
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:14 am

WOW ANdy -- I had not caught on before how rough your marathon actually was -- you are one TOUGH cookie!! HOpe you are recovering well today..... take care.....
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:34 am

Wow!

I said it in Carm's report. As I was reading reports of tummy troubles for many of you yesterday, I was wondering if there was something going on!

I too am glad it's not an injury!

Hope you're feeling better today!

Congrats on another one in the books!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Return to “Run/Race Reports”