Jes' 2012 NCM marathon

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
jes
Jerome Drayton

Jes' 2012 NCM marathon

Postby jes » Wed May 30, 2012 10:11 am

I’ve needed a few days to digest Sunday’s race before writing this. I’m still not sure how I feel about it.

This training cycle went really, really well, and I’ve PB’d at pretty much everything I’ve done since last Sept. Training with Andy has been tough, but I felt stronger each week, and all signs pointed to 4:15 being a reasonable (maybe even conservative) goal.

A goal: 4:12-4:15
B goal: 4:30
C goal: to finish

Race morning was surprisingly calm. Arrived downtown just after 6am with AndyM and quickly met up with some K2J’ers, Andy, other Jess, Carm and a few others. The weather was cool, even bordering on cold. I had goosebumps in the corral after I ditched my throw away shirt.

Soon enough we were off. My plan was to keep the pace around 6 min/km, with a leeway of 5 sec on either side. I was carrying a small hand-held water bottle, so I figured I’d walk the occasional water station to refill it.

Km 1-10

6:01
6:00
5:55
5:59
5:56
5:58
5:57
6:07

Right on pace. Nothing interesting happening here. Just trying to stay away from a rather annoying 4:15 bunny group and keep a good space around me. Carm and I leapfrogged a few times during this segment. I eventually lost sight of her at a water station in Tunney’s Pasture.

Km 11-20
6:02
6:02
6:03

Still feeling good. It got a bit quiet as we went on parkway and over to Quebec, but I’ve run the route enough to know what to expect, and it didn’t bother me.

Km 21-30
6:03
6:09
6:25
6:16
6:57
6:05
5:58
6:25
6:39

Started losing some time here, but nothing too major. A potty break at about km 26 and refilling bottles at a few water stations were responsible for the slower kms in this segment.

And then…

Km 31-42

6:04
6:05
6:15
7:14
7:11
8:49
7:09
6:27
6:41
6:28
6:32
6:10
7:33

Oh km 34-36. How I wish I could have a do-over! I’m still not too sure what happened here. I was fine, then I wasn’t. My breakfast made an appearance at around km 35, and I had some bad stomach cramping. I was desperately trying to do math at this point (not a good idea at the best of times!), trying to figure out if a PB was still possible. I knew that my first half should have given me a huge buffer, but it was shrinking fast. I eventually figured out that if I could run the last 6k at 7 min/km or under, I’d squeak out a PB.

Coming through the park before turning back onto Sussex, I spotted Carm just up ahead. That was just the motivation I needed to pick up the pace. I finally caught up, and was hoping that we could finish it up together, but it wasn’t to be. I knew if I slowed it’d be all over for me, so I had to leave Carm behind. She looked so determined – I knew she’d get there. After that, I managed to keep the pace between 6:30 and 6:40 (right in LSD range). But it felt so terrible! I was just clinging to that PB!

Coming through downtown was just awesome! I always forget how great the crowds, but they really are the best. The last 2k down the canal was a bit of a cluster, as I was merging with the 2:30 halfers and there were a lot of walkers Finally rounded the corner at Pretoria Bridge and started the final km home. My stomach started cramping again at about 200m to go, but there was no way I was stopping. I came through the finish line, and a very nice medic caught me. After sitting on the sidewalk for a while, I started the long treck back to the Lord Elgin to find AndyM and head home.

Final time: 4:27:12.3

So yeah. B goal met, and a 5 min PB, but so not the way I wanted to get there.

I’m not sure what I would have done differently. I don’t think I started too quickly, but the heat may have been a factor (and there’s been talk about bad water on the QC side). Oh well, onward and upward!

Photos are here: http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/ ... match=1360
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Re: Jes' 2012 NCM marathon

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed May 30, 2012 10:28 am

You flew past us around 27km, and I thought you were doing great. I am sad to hear you had a crummy experience towards the end. I still stand by my FB comment that a 5 min PB is awesome. You'll reach your A goal, I know it. You have the strength and the determination to do so. Keep on keepin' on :D
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed May 30, 2012 10:28 am

Congratulations, on completing another Marathon, Jes, and with a new PB, ta boot ... 8)

I swear that you and I experienced the same race, especially over the final 7-8K ... :shock: :?

Very proud of you, despite your issues that you faced and overcame on the course ... And, yes another 5 minute PB on that course in those conditions is still a sweet success in my books ....

It has been great training with you over the past 6-7 months and am very impressed on how well you have adapted to the "training effect" during this cycle, as you have evolved into a strong runner and will continue to improve, for sure ..... And, yes ... "No whining" is a great Mantra that you have adopted ... :shifty: :lol: :wink:

Interesting to note that we both have races this year again, on November 4th, as you will be back in Hamilton and I will be going to The Big Apple ....
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Jes' 2012 NCM marathon

Postby Jwolf » Wed May 30, 2012 10:46 am

Congratulations again, Jes, and great report. You'll keep chipping away at that time, I know. A five-minute PB is still really impressive.

I knew you had mixed feelings about this and that's totally normal. On one hand you got the PB, but not the marathon you thought you trained for. That's the thing about marathons- so hard to predict! Getting into that 30+ region and it's just SO different. But you hung on when it got tough, and that's something right there.

I've had that feeling of "being ok one minute then not being ok" several times. That's what I think of when people say "hitting the wall" but others disagree- whatever- it seems to be pretty common and I wish I could tell you what I've figured out. I agree that your training seemed to point you to 6:00/km being a reasonable pace goal.

Still- each marathon makes us tougher and you have a great training base to continue from. I look forward to following along and training virtually with you for a November marathon. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed May 30, 2012 11:02 am

Miss*Smiles wrote:You flew past us around 27km, and I thought you were doing great. I am sad to hear you had a crummy experience towards the end. I still stand by my FB comment that a 5 min PB is awesome. You'll reach your A goal, I know it. You have the strength and the determination to do so. Keep on keepin' on :D

Maybe it went downhill because I didn't get a freezie :(

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed May 30, 2012 11:03 am

HCcD wrote:Congratulations, on completing another Marathon, Jes, and with a new PB, ta boot ... 8)

I swear that you and I experienced the same race, especially over the final 7-8K ... :shock: :?

Very proud of you, despite your issues that you faced and overcame on the course ... And, yes another 5 minute PB on that course in those conditions is still a sweet success in my books ....

It has been great training with you over the past 6-7 months and am very impressed on how well you have adapted to the "training effect" during this cycle, as you have evolved into a strong runner and will continue to improve, for sure ..... And, yes ... "No whining" is a great Mantra that you have adopted ... :shifty: :lol: :wink:

Interesting to note that we both have races this year again, on November 4th, as you will be back in Hamilton and I will be going to The Big Apple ....

Thanks Andy :D

Yes, it's rather convenient our fall races line up, isn't it? Can't wait!!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed May 30, 2012 11:05 am

jes wrote:
HCcD wrote:Congratulations, on completing another Marathon, Jes, and with a new PB, ta boot ... 8)

Thanks Andy :D

Yes, it's rather convenient our fall races line up, isn't it? Can't wait!!

eta: You k*cked my @$$, yet again, on the second half of the marathon ... :shifty: :wink: Though, I out-puked you, but mine were all in liquid form, while yours, shall we say, included some form of solids, I presume??? :shock: :? :shifty:
Last edited by HCcD on Wed May 30, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed May 30, 2012 11:05 am

Jwolf wrote:
Still- each marathon makes us tougher and you have a great training base to continue from. I look forward to following along and training virtually with you for a November marathon. :)

I'm counting on being tougher for Hamilton this year :D I have a 4:15 marathon to run!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed May 30, 2012 11:07 am

HCcD wrote:
eta: You k*cked my @$$, yet again, on the second half of the marathon ... :shifty: :wink:

This is an alarming trend!

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed May 30, 2012 11:15 am

jes wrote:
Miss*Smiles wrote:You flew past us around 27km, and I thought you were doing great. I am sad to hear you had a crummy experience towards the end. I still stand by my FB comment that a 5 min PB is awesome. You'll reach your A goal, I know it. You have the strength and the determination to do so. Keep on keepin' on :D

Probably. It was my fault. Might have to bring some to relay for life in that case!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed May 30, 2012 11:16 am

Miss*Smiles wrote:
jes wrote:

Probably. It was my fault. Might have to bring some to relay for life in that case!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed May 30, 2012 11:16 am

Miss*Smiles wrote:
jes wrote:

come to think of it ... me too ... no freezie .. So, it appears that those of us who did not get a freezie may have resulted in puking on the course ... Hmmmm .. :shifty: :wink: :lol: :oops:

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Wed May 30, 2012 11:40 am

I've been waiting to read more about your race. I was thinking of you and your race Sunday. Sorry you didn't have the day you wanted, but congrats on the new pb.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Wed May 30, 2012 11:43 am

You still had a really PB so enjoy that! I think the full on sun during the 2nd half of the race can do some major drainage on the body. There seemed to be a lot of people suffering that day.

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Wed May 30, 2012 12:00 pm

HCcD wrote:So, it appears that those of us who did not get a freezie may have resulted in puking on the course ... Hmmmm .. :shifty: :wink: :lol: :oops:

...or almost-puking. :(

Thanks for the RR, Jes! You've been training so strong this cycle and you were definitely on target for a 4:15 or better given your past training runs/races but alas, the marathon distance can come back to bite you sometimes.

Despite the challenges (i.e. puking) in the mid-30K's, you were noticeably faster than the 4:30 crew coming back onto Sussex and seriously put some spin in those tires going up the little hill near DFAIT. That was so impressive! Sadly, I couldn't hold onto you and had no gas left in the tank (legs) at that point, although my brain thought that it would have been awesome to chase you all the way to the finish line.

Keep killing those PB's and I have no doubt that you will have a great fall marathon.
Carm

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Wed May 30, 2012 12:24 pm

That's the way to gut out a PB - great metal strength to hang in there and reach the goal. Well done.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Wed May 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Great job on digging deep and getting it done with a PB.
IMC 2015

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Wed May 30, 2012 12:52 pm

Congrats on a well-earned PB, and great job keeping yourself going! That indescribable feeling of fatigue and despair in the last 8-10k is hard to describe or overcome, but it sounds like you did it.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed May 30, 2012 1:02 pm

Congrats for hanging in there and being "gutsy" :wink:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed May 30, 2012 1:41 pm

You had the result I wished I'd had in London! ;) I totally understand the disappointment, but celebrate the PB! Every marathon will be one more opportunity to chip away at that goal. :)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed May 30, 2012 1:56 pm

I can appreciate the disappointment having been there last weekend, but you are a strong runner that is getting stronger with every race you do and I don't doubt that 4:15 will be doable. I
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed May 30, 2012 2:12 pm

Congrats on the PB Jess. I say be happy with it, especially considering the tummy turmoil in the last 10K :D :D

BTW, being the research analyst that I am, I have done a study of stomache occurences in this race, and come to the conclusion that there are just too many of them not to be statistically significant. The list is quite long! Methinks something is up with the water source.

Enjoy your downtime until the next cycle!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed May 30, 2012 2:31 pm

You showed some real toughness in those last few k's! Congratulations on the PB!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:26 pm

Congrats on achieving a your new pb. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed May 30, 2012 5:40 pm

A 5 minute PB is nothing to "sneeze at" at but I can understand your disappointment. When I ran my second HalfM I had a 7 minute PB but I was so disappointed that I hadn't gone sub 2 that I sulked for the afternoon :lol:

Your running progress during the past year has impressed the heck out of me...you are strong and determined...enjoy this PB...there will be many more to enjoy down the road!!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Return to “Run/Race Reports”