My first Centurion ride

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
DougG
Jerome Drayton

My first Centurion ride

Postby DougG » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:44 am

I know this isn't a running event, but I thought I would check in anyway :P (as some of you know nagging injuried have curtailed my running).
The Centurion events are much like marathons, in that there are multiple distances and a mix of serious and casual riders. Most events are 25, 50 & 100 miles, but this event was 25, 50 and 100km. This was billed as Centurion Ontario and was held at Horseshoe Valley Resort (Centurion Canada is at Blue Mountain ON in September). The circuit also has 2 events in New York State.
I signed up for the 50k a month ago, and had been riding with the Barrie Cycling Club in training. My cycling is much like my running, I am a middle to back of the packer so a podium finish is nothing more than a dream. :lol:
Anyhow the event was held Sunday the 15th, my goal for 50k was to beat 2 hours (25kmh), my training rides were around 22-23kmh although my hill training was minimal. That would prove to be a major factor in the ride.
For those of you who know Horsehsoe, it is located about 20 min north of Barrie and is in a valley (gee what a surprise), so going up a rather large hill was on the menu :shock: The 50k had close to 300 riders, and the decision by ride organizers was to have a controlled start which would take us up the hill to where the chip timing would start. This would serve as the finish line as well. They did not want people racing down the hill, which was smart because it would be easy to exceed 70kmh on the way down :shock: That would have been dangerous.
I was there early, got everything ready, even hit the porto potty (very wise move on my part ), and was excited about the day. When I was getting ready I looked over and saw the OPP getting their instructions. It looked like the G20 all over again with so many cops plus the big truck. I hear that there were 35 officers workinng the event for traffic control. The weather was overcast but humid, but less hot that it had been all week. The start went well and pretty quick the speed demons took off. I settled into a good pace; taking advantage of the downhill parts of the rolling course (I got up tp 65kmh at one point :D ), and slowing down on the uphill climbs. It was fascinating how quickly we would go from 45-50kmh to 10-15kmh. The first hour went smooth, I felt strong, although my back had stiffened up and was quite sore. Much like a running race, I tended to stay near the same pack of riders most of the way, I would go past them, then they would catch up and pass me. It was like a long game of leap frog...lol
At about the 90 minute mark I was feeling the effects of the day. The sun had come out which didn't help and the hills seemed to be higher than they had been. There was a stretch of about 6km that was one long gradual climb. That hurt. I thought it was just me feeling tired but other riders around me were saying the same thing. My thighs and especially my knees were in agony during this part and I had quite the potty mouth at this point :oops: :silenced: I wasn't the only one though...lol
The last few kms were a struggle but my chip time was 1:53:37, a speed of 26.4kmh so I was pleased. I was completely spent at the finish so what more can I ask for? It gives me a good indicator of my fitness level.
Over all the event was great, and other than the mode of transport it mirrored a major running event. When I look at the finishing times in all the races I just shake my head at how fast these people are (just like in running...lol). And, even though I move up an age group this year, the podium remains just as much a dream.
I will likely sign up for the Collingwood event in September - the 50 miler (80km) this time, with bigger hills :shock: . I'm definitely not ready for the 100 miler yet. If you are a cyclist, I recommend giving it a try. Out west there is a Gran Fondo series, which I am sure is very similar.
ps I am hoping to try a small 5km (running) race later this summer to see how my leg will hold up, but will play it by ear.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Re: My first Centurion ride

Postby Sandra » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:47 am

Sounds like great event! Sounds like you enjoyed it and congrats on finishing with a great time!
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Oh sounds like fun! I did the Warrior Dash there last year - I hear you about the hills!

Congratulations!!! :dance:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:10 pm

Congratulations Doug! :dance: :dance:

I had considered - very briefly - Collingwood, but can't wrap my head around those hills! :shifty:

If you're interested in another challenge, join us "down south" for www.threeporttour.ca :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Congrats on beating your goal!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:49 pm

Nice Doug....

FYI - rode past your old cottage on the weekend. Wasaga to Balm Beach. Nice ride.
The Summer of Eng is over.

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:58 pm

FYI - rode past your old cottage on the weekend. Wasaga to Balm Beach. Nice ride..

I used to love riding through there. Haven't been up there since I sold the place. I miss it though. :(
injured
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
CANI 10k. June. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:11 pm

Sounds great -- love that you have found something else you enjoy during the running hiatus..... great job on beating your goal on what sounds like a tough course (I HATE hills!!).... well done!!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:15 pm

Nicely done, Doug ... congrats .... cycling is a different kinda fun as compared to running, as you can definitely go a lot farther and faster, eh !!!! :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

My first Centurion ride

Postby QuickChick » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:30 pm

Good for you Doug!! It sounds like you're keeping yourself in great shape while you're off running. Cycling is a lot of fun as I'm learning! My butt is tired from 20 or so km today, broken up- I can't imagine going 50 at once quite yet!!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:37 am

Thanks for the report! Well done! I've always wondered what those events were like (when I was in Collingwood in May we rode part of the Centurion course - yes, it's HILLY!! :shock: ).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

My first Centurion ride

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:46 am

That's great Doug- I'm glad you reported. I'm glad you've been able to enjoy the cycling so much. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Ummm - I have noticed that the bike paths around Calgary seem to have more cyclists than runners. Aging population and all of that. With your description of the race I can see the appeal as it sounds like a new adventure to tackle in the future.

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:07 pm

. If you're interested in another challenge, join us "down south" for www.threeporttour.ca

Hey Trixiee, that looks great, unfortunately I have plans that weekend. :(
injured
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
CANI 10k. June. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Congratulations!!

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Nice job Doug!
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:58 pm

DougG wrote:I will likely sign up for the Collingwood event in September - the 50 miler (80km) this time, with bigger hills :shock: . I'm definitely not ready for the 100 miler yet. If you are a cyclist, I recommend giving it a try.

Nice! Good luck! 80km (50 miles) sounds like a very respectable nice distance to hammer it. 8)

(Also- bring on more cycling reports everyone! The Dark Side demands it! :lol: )

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Excellent Job Doug!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”