IronColl is now an IronMOM!

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:12 am

Pre race

I knew when I finished in 2005 that it wouldn’t be the last one that I would do. I made the initial goal of doing one per age group and since I was 30 then that gave me a nice large window for the next one. Since then I have had three children and life has been wonderful. Training this time was a lot harder. Less room for error. I had to make the most of every workout because the chance of making up a missed one was slim to none. I had 2 fantastic triathlon results so I knew the potential to have a great race was there.

The drive to Penticton was uneventful, and we made good time even though we were travelling with kids. We rented a condo up the mountain and it was nice to be away from all the hoopla, even though the drive was far. I relaxed as much as I could. We played at the beach and I even managed one of each discipline before I dropped everything off at transition on Saturday. I was able to have a visit with Carla Friday before the athlete’s supper/race meeting and it was nice to catch up with a friend I haven’t seen in six months.

Saturday when I dropped off my bike I saw Sister Madonna and I went up and said hello and wished her well and said we shared the course in 2005 and I was honoured to share it again. We hugged. The excitement and emotion of the race hadn’t gotten to me yet. I was still feeling reasonable calm. Reasonably being a relative term.

Race morning

I actually did get a good night’s sleep only waking occasionally, and I woke up feeling excited and ready. I looked forward to the day with an “I get to do an Ironman today” feeling and it helped. We left the condo at 430 to make the trek into town and only needed to stop twice so I could double check that I had everything. I was chatty and enjoying my breakfast of eggs, toast and coffee. Joe dropped me off as close as he could to transition and we agreed to meet at the transition exit/entrance later. That was when the emotion started to hit me. Athletes everywhere were carrying their bags and chatting about the day ahead. The atmosphere was nervous, excited, happy, sad and every other emotion that you could associate with this day. First stop was dropping off the special needs bags then off to body marking. I got my number and then walked into transition.

I saw a familiar face from Sherwood Park and I borrowed her pump. I chatted with a girl whose bike was set up near mine. It was also her second time, her first being 2006, and we laughed about how we weren’t IronVirgins but it did feel that way a bit. I did see a lot of people I knew and I wished them well, and eventually I did see Carla we chatted, hugged and talked about nothing (I think) but we did comment on a couple of things. Firstly, the music in the first hour was 1960s easy listening and I don’t care what you say, I cannot get pumped for a race listening to “Stand By Me” and “Lollipop”. Secondly Steve King was on the intercom talking a lot about the journey of the day and all the hard work that was behind this one day. Yes we get it. Quiet please!! Eventually we were told to start making our way to the start so we got our wetsuits on and made our way over the timing mats. We separated a bit and I found her one last time for a good luck hug. I started crying and she said “be brave” I said the same thing to her and then left her to get into her own space. I stood on the beach and reflected on the training time and the last 7 years. I tried to find Joe and the friends I knew were here but I couldn’t. I relaxed myself. The day I worked hard for was here. The cannon went off. Race time.

The swim

I allowed myself a bit of time to get used to the lake before I started the swim, there was a bit of a shock as I got wet, but I started swimming and it felt good. I followed other people and sighted as best as I could although eventually I ended up veering to the left. I just kept thinking “reach, pull, reach pull” and had a long relaxed rhythm. Halfway to the first buoy the water got really choppy so I did my best to stay within a pack and let other people pave the way. I stayed relaxed and didn’t panic. One thing I will say about swimming with that many people is that it is chaos. Imaging running a race down a narrow path and everyone else is wearing an iPod. It is everyone for themselves. I stayed aware of others around me and did my best to not get punched or kicked and not to do the same to anyone else. It was actually enjoyable. I felt relaxed and strong and took it one buoy at a time. They were numbered and I thought they were every 100m so I used that to gauge my progress. I never looked at my watch so I didn’t have any idea how fast I was swimming, but I was surprised when after about buoy 22 I was at the last 5. I looked up and the shore was closer than I thought it should be. What a treat! I swam strong, started kicking the legs a bit more as my back was getting sore and stiff and made it to the shore. The time on the clock floored me. I had no idea I would come out of the water that fast. I was elated. I raised both arms in victory. That’s when I heard my name and it was Sara right at the exit. I smiled for the camera, and crossed the transition mat and hit my split.

1:35:24

Transition 1

I love that there are wetsuit strippers that help. And if there is evidence that my body has changed since having kids, its that it took 2 of them to get it off me. Amazing volunteers the whole way. I was making my way to the tent and heard Steve announce that Sister Madonna was out of the water. A big cheer!!
I dried off got all my stuff on for the bike, sunscreened and found Freda. I was absolutely thrilled with my swim and the speed of my transition, I couldn’t stop smiling. Made it out, and again I hear my name. Sara, again with the camera at the mount line. Woohoo I’m off to bike!

5:51

Bike

The first part of the bike is awesome. The streets are lined with people cheering for you. It’s awesome. I knew where to look for Joe but was surprised that Jenn and Maureen were at the first corner. Yipee!! I loved riding main street and loved that I saw Joe because I missed him at the swim start. I was feeling good, fast and relaxed. I was looking forward to the ride ahead. The first climb comes within the first 20km. Short and a bit steep but manageable. I rode it when I was in Penticton for the tri in July and it felt a lot easier today. Not sure if it was the race atmosphere or what but I got in a good gear and went up light and fast. I loved looking at the vineyards and orchards all the way to Osoyoos. There were a couple of little hills, but nothing too terrible yet. I knew it was warm, and that there was a tailwind, but I kept the gear strong and made the most of it. I took my liquids and salt in regular intervals and had fun. Richter’s came up before I knew it and I climbed my little heart out. I am not the best climber but I think I’m pretty good. I passed more people going up the hill than who passed me and that’s a victory. I was able to gain some speed during the false flats. I remember crossing a timing mat somewhere and thinking that someone was cheering for me. Three climbs up the hill then the long screaming downhill. The only issue I had was that there was a fair bit of car traffic and people were being cautious on the bike and using their brakes. I commend them for that, but it is challenging when you have a lot of speed and are trying to get around them in a safe manner. I enjoyed the descent. I have no idea what my maximum speed was but I did see 63km/h at one point. Ahead were the seven bytches and I did my best to work the downhills and gain as much momentum as I could for the uphill. There were a couple where I had so much speed that I was blasting people because I was still in that hard gear and powering through. The top wasn’t that far off. Then there were others that I had a spin easy because my approach was slower. It was all good. I was very happy when it was all done. I was tired and my legs were sore, so it was nice to have the flat part to the out and back.

Reality check that anything can happen. Traffic was backed up and we were unsure why, until ahead I could see an ambulance. Someone was being taken off the course on a body board and there was an upset woman in an SUV. We were instructed to go by slowly and I hoped that he was going to be ok. I was now at the out and back and started looking for familiar faces. I’m thinking that I just missed Carla (yay for her) but I did see some familiar faces. At special needs I did a big stretch as my back was really bothering me and refilled my drink with cold blue Gatorade. Nothing else appealed to me so I left it. I commented to another athlete that I was starting to feel tired and I hoped that I wasn’t the only one. She reassured me that I wasn’t. Off I went to tackle the last 60km. I knew there were a few tough climbs ahead, but best of all I knew that my family would be waiting for me along the course. I rounded a corner and saw a crowd and knew they were there. But first I hear my name right beside me. There’s Jenn and Maureen again. But in the distance I could see people in yellow shirts jumping up and down and waving. Joe, my mom, mother-in-law and my kids were all there. The women were wearing the “Go Colleen” shirts from 2005 and the kids were in “GO MOM GO”. It gave me the boost I needed and made me emotional. I choked on a couple of tears and did my best to power through. I spun up in an easy gear but by know it wasn’t feeling so easy. My legs were feeling tingly and my calves were cramping a bit. With my back being sore as well, I was hitting a low point (although the irony is I was climbing a hill!). The headwind wasn’t helping but I did my best. I didn’t stop although I wanted to. As long as I kept moving I was getting closer to the finish line. I made it into the city and was greeted by cheers along the way. I first saw Carla on the run out, then Sara on the left then my family again on the right. It was so good to see them again. A nice little downhill into transition and I was done! I raised my arms in victory then gave Freda a pat before the volunteer took her away.

7:07:33

Transition 2

Ah…the jello slash rock legs. The worst my legs have felt ever after any training or race. I was so happy to get into transition and sit down and before I know it a volunteer had my bag dumped and was helping me out. I opted not to change as it was hot out and I wanted longer shorts. One thing I regretted not having was some Advil but I look up and I see some on a table. That bottle is now missing three. More sunscreen and I am off on the run.

6:44

Run

It didn’t take too long for my legs to loosen up but my feet were going numb and I realized that I didn’t make the proper sock choice. Ah well. Quick out and back and I see my friend Kelly, who says to me ”you are going to kill your time” I respond with an “I hope so”. The run in an Ironman can go any way and it is best to take it in bits and pieces and deal with the immediate rather than focus on long term. My plan was to worry about the moment and work as hard as I could. I love the out on main street. Like the bike, everyone is on both sides and cheering their asses off. I see my friends from home on the side and then a bit farther up is my family. I got really emotional. Joe is trying to hurry me along but I wanted to give everyone a hug and high five. It made my day that Cait wanted to run with me for a bit, so we did hand in hand and I think she would have run farther with me if Joe would have let her. I left them behind with my eyes all teared up. Sara and John were further up the road and they had signs. I loved the “go auntie” one he was holding.

I tried my best to only walk at aid stations but sometimes it was hard. So I walked with aggression for 50 steps and then would run again. Sometime I had to repeat that until I could get going. It was hot and I was tired and my back was still bothering me. I made use of everything at the aid stations: sponges, pop, water, fruit. If it looked good I took it. I modified my strategy. I rarely get the opportunity to run lakeside so I wanted to enjoy myself. I saw Carla on the run when I was about 3 miles from the turn around. We hugged and she asked me how I was doing. I gave the honest answer of “it all hurts” she said the same. I wished her a good finish. I followed my plan and made it to the turn around with a big hoot and holler and was happy to be on my way back. I did my best to encourage people coming the other way because it wasn’t that long ago that was me. I enjoyed this part. Talked with other athletes and high fived sister Madonna when I saw her (amazing!). Ten miles became seven then I was back within city limits and the single digit countdown of kilometers began. Dusk was gone and it was dark except for the streetlights. Supporters were still out, some the same ones I saw hours earlier. I stayed smiling and thanked them for their encouragement. The gradual uphill on mainstreet was feeling hard but I ran as much as I could then use the 50 step rule and start again. Then came the lovely down hill and I started to pick up some speed. More people were lining the streets cheering us in. I made the turn with one mile to go and it really started to hit me that I was going to finish the race. I see Jenn and Maureen again and stopped for a hug and a high five. I may have yelled something about my race time. One more turn and then it’s the lakeshore out and back I hear my name and it’s Joe and my mom cheering me in on the left. I turn to go down lakeshore and Sara, Amanda and Allie are right there. I pick up more speed. I am less than a mile from finishing and I can’t stop smiling. I run this last part as hard as I can. I didn’t think that it was possible to hurt more but I do. I keep pushing on wards. Last timing mat and then it is the turn around to the finish. I can see the lights in the distance. I know the finish line is there. I can here Steve King announcing people in. In 4 minutes that’s going to be me. I can see the lights are closer and the crowd is loud.1 minute: finally the last 100m, friends to the left and family to the right and fans on both sides push me to the finish. I cross the line with arms raised. I’ve done it. I’m an Ironman again.

5:47:42
Finish time 14:43:04 (1:04:33 improvement)

Afterthoughts

The day could not have gone better for me, save less back pain. I pushed myself as hard as I could yet I made a point to enjoy myself and the scenery. Like I said before I don’t get the opportunity to ride in this scenery everyday, nor do I get to do an Ironman often. The day was about doing my best and having fun at the same time. If that meant that some parts were slower or faster than someone with more experience would have done then whatever. I am sincerely happy with my effort and absolutely floored by the result. I was not upset that I missed my whisper goal, but I made every other goal: both transition times faster than 2005, getting to the base of Richter’s in less that 2:15, making it off the bike in less than 9:00 and to the run turnaround in less than 12:00, and then making it to city limits while there was still light. More importantly I smiled the whole way.

I have had a lot of support from my family and friends. Joe and the kids couldn’t be a better family to have, and dealt with a lot of absences.They believed in me before I did in myself. Sara taking the kids extra times so I could get a long ride or run in. Tracy for her daily messages and pre-race treat package (the compression sleeves were a godsend), Sarah for tears over ice cream, Amanda for the post race wine and Jenn for the post race treats. Countless checkins from many of you and the constant well wishes and support. Thanks to those that read (and maybe commented) my training journal or my blog. I know that neither are the most excited read, but hey, I was a little pressed for time. Even now I am having a hard time remembering everything but if you were there, then I thank you.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Re: IronColl is now an IronMOM!

Postby FishPants » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:35 am

Your report made me tear up! Congratulations on an amazing race. I am honoured to be a part of your journey and to be mentioned in your report :) It was also so much fun to text everyone all day on your progress! There were a lot of "WOO HOO!" and "GO COLL GO!" replies :)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:51 am

I am so happy for you, Colleen!

I really enjoyed following your training, and it was so exciting to follow along last Sunday. Your put so much into your and it was great to see it all come together for you on Sunday. I love that you were able to meld together the hard work and dedication with the fun- that's the definition of pure joy.

You are an inspiring role model for mothers and other recreational athletes. Well done. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:00 am

I've been waiting for this! You did an amazing job fitting everything in, considering how much you had to juggle to do it! You were smart and consistent and it paid off. That's an incredible and well-deserved result. Congrats!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:08 am

What a great improvement! Way to go, little momma! :)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:08 am

I am so happy for you!!! You did amazing. And what a huge PB from your last IM now that you have 3 kids at home and the juggling you have to do to train. That has to be a pretty sweet feeling that you did so well!

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:11 am

LOVED this report!!!!!!! you're awesome. ^:)^

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:22 am

You inspire.
Thank you :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:57 am

Thanks for the report Colleen! Your day was fantastic, but what is best is the love and support of your friends and family!

Congrats Ironmom!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:22 pm

What a happy race report! Congratulations Colleen.

I am so impressed at your accomplishment. You truly inspire me. :)
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:37 pm

What a PB! Amazing job IronMom!!!

So proud of you!!!!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Awesome job, awesome report. Congratulations!!
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:25 pm

What an awesome report!! Congratulations on getting all of the training done, getting through the day despite intense back pain and with your tremendous PB!! :dance:

Inspiration PLUS!! :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:44 pm

Congratulations, on an awesome race and PB, IronMon .... :dance: :dance: :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:31 pm

Awesome!!! Congrats on the pb.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:09 pm

What a great report and a fabulous time!! Congratulations Colleen!!! :)

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:58 pm

You are a whole lot of awesome! Congrats. You totally rocked it hot momma! xoxo
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:12 pm

As mentioned in text, well done! Savor the experience!
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:29 pm

Finally!! I've been waiting for this report! Congratulations on an amazing race and on being such an impressive athlete. Often when I'm considering skipping a workout, it's you who comes to my mind - 'Colleen, with three kids, is training for an Ironman - do your little run for pete's sake!' Enjoy a little down time and bask in your glory. You earned it!

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:22 am

Congratulations on a well-executed race, following a lot of hard work and dedication to your training. So impressive!

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:37 pm

It's about time you got this up. ;;)!

Well worth the wait. Your training was solid, and you are one Rawkin'hotmamma!

Relax, and can't wait to see what you decide to do next. HUGE HUGS!
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:25 pm

You are an amazing athlete, IronColl, and this is your best report yet! Congratulations on all of your hard work. I love that you appreciate everyone who helped you along the way and believed in you, even when you didn't believe in yourself. Nobody makes it to the starting line (especially when you have three little ones who depend so much on you to take care of them) without help, support and love. This was truly a family accomplishment!!! So proud of you, of your awesome SIL (hi, FP!), your supportive husband, kids, mom, and mom-in-law and all of your friends.

Way to go on the PB....that is like old hat for you this year!!! Congrats!!!!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:30 pm

Wow!!! Congrats on your fantastic race. Wonderful report, too!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:59 pm

8) 8) 8) 8)

Wow Colleen- you are amazing.

Your report is beautiful and I admit that my mascara is running.

What an accomlishment- BRAVO. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:29 pm

Congratulations! YOu`re an inspiration!!!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Return to “Run/Race Reports”