Wrapping up the Journey of 50's with a 50-miler

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:10 pm

As most of you know, 2012 was the year of 50’s:

1) Running Boston on my 50th Birthday – awesome!

2) Doing my first 50 km in June in Niagara Falls – another awesome run!

3) Doing my first 50 miler in October at Canandaigua Lake – and here’s the tale:

Training went well, with some great running, and not too much pressure – did some shuffling around of the schedule as life dictated, but got 95% of the runs done (from a pretty aggressive schedule), so I was feeling positive, strong and ready to take on the 50-mile challenge I had set for myself.

Canandaigua Lake is a 4.5-hour drive from Ottawa, and the drive down on Friday was beautiful. The fall colours made it very scenic and peaceful. Attended the pre-race dinner with DH and a running friend from Ottawa who would be doing his first 50 km. Dinner was delicious, and kit pick-up was uneventful – no expo, so saved “mucho $$$”....

Went to bed early, and had a pretty decent sleep. The race cut-off was 12 hours, with a 1-hour early option start. I therefore opted for the early start, allowing for 13 hours. My thinking was that I had no idea what to expect, and would be pretty bummed if I finished in 12:15, and my time did not count. My goals were:

A – Finish under 13 hours
A+ - Finish under 11 hours
A++ - Finish in 10 hours

So I was up at 4:30, got my drop bags and racewear together, and headed down to race start for 5:30 which is when we needed to have the drop bags checked in (we were allowed 3 drop bags for the 50-miler). It was pouring rain, when we left the hotel – I’ll talk more about that in a minute....

Once I dropped off the bags, I chatted with a few racers, and then the RD said it was time to form up. So approximately 35 of us headed out for the early start, in the dark and the pouring rain. We lined up just outside the parking lot of the school where we were starting, and at 6 o’clock, the RD said “Go”. I was around the 10th runner, and quickly I became very popular because I was wearing a head lamp, and everyone was very happy to follow me so that I could light the way, and help to avoid the puddles that were getting pretty deep, pretty quickly. I luckily had the right clothes on, and was feeling pretty comfortable. Because of the early start, the first few aid stations would not be set up by the time we would arrive, so I opted to run with a hydration pack, and all the nutrition I would need for the first 30 km.

Approximately 1.5 hours into the run, the rain started letting up, the day was getting lighter, and the FUN began. There is an “incline” called Bopple Hill, of which I have never seen the likes. It goes up, and up, and up – steep and long – I kept saying over and over in my head “skinny jeans, skinny jeans”.... Luckily, the scenery, the homes, the lake, the lifting fog all offered great distractions.

Around 30 km, I hit the location of my first drop bag, where I was able to change my socks and shoes – THAT was heaven.... stuffed my pack with more nutrition and hydration. This was the “drop-off” where the 50 km runners would be starting. They had already arrived, and needed to wait for the 10 o’clock start – I saw my friend that would be running his first 50 km, so we chatted for a couple of minutes, and then I was off again. Up until this point, I had been feeling great, and running strong – all according to plan, and then...... at around 34 km, I hit this HUGE down – the tears, the doom.... my pace was getting stronger, but my morale was sinking ??? So, I called my DH on his cell, and asked him if he could come and meet me. I told him where I was, and he was on his way..... I kept running, and knowing that I would be seeing a friendly face soon, my spirits started lifting.

The aid stations were approximately every 8 km, so I knew that I would probably not see him at 38 km, but most certainly at the following aid station (where I also had another drop bag). My mood continued to improve, I kept on chugging along, eating when I could and drinking when I could – this was starting to get a little more difficult as the body was starting to rebel already.... DH passed me along the way, slowed down for a quick Hello, and told me he’d be waiting at the next aid station. When I got there, he helped me switch socks and shoes again (and a change of shirt and more hydration and nutrition). Then he asked me what else I needed and what was wrong. I told him that my body was good, but my head was not in a great spot. As only he can say it, he said “What do you need – a kick in the A$$)”?? That made me laugh, and off I went down the road, smiling and positive again. I had asked that he meet me at a few more aid stations to make sure my head was going to “stay in the game”, and he ended up spending the rest of the day on the course (I really appreciated this).

The km’s kept on clicking away, pretty uneventful – the day cleared up really nicely, the sun started shining, and the fall colours were SO bright – the scenery was breathtaking which was good, because the course is a tough one, with some pretty long, steep climbs, followed by some steep descents – so it was great to be able to focus on the scenery and forget how much of a trashing the legs were taking.

I was having a really hard time eating by this point, munching on pretzels when I felt I could handle them, and taking in Coke and water at the aid stations. I was seeing my pace slowing a little, but my stomach was not going to cooperate with calorie intake.

At around 65 km, I changed shoes and socks one last time, doing some foot maintenance as there were some blisters threatening to take over the day. At that point, my head was in a pretty good place – I KNEW I was going to get this done, and I got pretty teary. I kept thinking “WHAT A YEAR!”! I had trained hard, stayed healthy, I was here running on this beautiful fall day, and “Really, does life get any better than this??!!”.....

I finished in 10:20:41 which was better than I had seriously anticipated, but best of all feeling soooo much better than I thought I would. My time was good for a silver medal under the age-adjusted calculation. My legs are a little sore today and the blisters are a little tender, but the happiness and satisfaction far outweigh those minor inconveniences.

So this wraps up the BIG events for 2012 – no more “50” craziness.... I am deeply grateful to my Husband, my Family and my Friends who have been forever supportive of my dreams, and have helped me celebrate this 50th year of my life. I also thank my Father who has watched over me from his special chair above, and has continued to guide me in determination, drive and the will to be the best that I can be!!

If you’re wondering what’s next for me, why a 100-miler of course – but that’s another story for another day!!
Last edited by orleansrunner1962 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Wrapping up the Journey of 50's

Postby Irongirl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:30 pm

Amazing. Simply amazing. You're an inspiration, Sylvie!

Can't wait to hear about this 100 miler....
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Re: Wrapping up the Journey of 50's

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:31 pm

Oh Sylvie you give a whole new meaning to 50 and Fabulous. What a year you have had!!!!!! You impress, inspire, and encourage me to look forward to , not dread, FIFTY :D .

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Re: Wrapping up the Journey of 50's with a 50-miler

Postby Robinandamelia » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:18 pm

Simply incredible.Congratulations to you, fantastic performance. Love the AG placement as well...what a way to end the 50's activities for you.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm

What a huge year!!! You are a super star. :D Can't wait to hear about this next adventure.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:39 pm

Congrats!!!

ummmm......journey of the 50s is not over. You have 9 more years. enjoy!!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Awesome! Well done!
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:51 pm

what a year indeed - congrats!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:06 pm

Oops, posted to FB - meant to post here!

Can't stop laughing, only cause I can picture your hubby saying "What do you need – a kick in the A$$??". You've had such an incredible year of 50's, and I'm sure your Dad would have been beyond proud. Congrats again Sylvie, you are truly an inspiration!!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:23 pm

What a great way to wrap up the year of "50".
Congratulations. :D
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Very cool Sylvie! What a great year of accomplishments!

Congratulations!!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:37 pm

monumental!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:47 am

Fantastic report Sylvie! So proud of you :). As someone who is about to turn 50, thanks for making it seem so cool instead of something to dread!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:40 am

Great report for a great accomplishment!! :D

eta: I think your dh deserves a medal too...what a guy :lol: :lol: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:15 am

Wonderful report from an accomplished and dedicated runner. Very happy for all of your accomplishments.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:42 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:47 am

Congratulations orleansrunner1962 on achieving your "turning 50 goals" ...I love a theme!

Thats quite the mind games you had going on! Kudos on the drop bag prep especially with the wet beginning.

If you havent picked a 100 miler I have 2 suggestions....

Sulphur Springs, well supported with groomed trails not too much technical. http://www.burlingtonrunners.com/index.cfm?id=5711

Dirt Girls 48 Hours, time is on your side here. http://dirtyrunnerproductions.com/dirty_girls_run/index-2013.html

See you out there.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:19 pm

Whatta ya mean wrapping up, Sylvie? You still have another 6+ months to go ... :shock: :lol: :wink:

Oh yeah, way-da-go on your year of 50's ... :dance: :dance: :dance:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Congratulations Sylvie. What an accomplishment completing your last race of 50's. You kicked some serious butt during this race. I'm so thrilled for you! I can't wait to do the Fat Ass with ya on November 18th. :)
Carm

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Wow, what a year Sylvie! Congrats, really proud of you, what an inspiration!
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 am

Impressive plan and amazing results. Congrats.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:20 am

Nailed It!!!! Well done young girl, I am sure you are made for these things. That was an incredible time. Awesome job. Can't wait for coffee to hear more of the gritty details.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:33 am

Congratulations to you!! What a year you have had. I have followed your training on FB and an amazed at your energy, positivity and drive. Keep it up!
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:14 pm

I told about your accomplishment and he only had "WOW" to say. Seriously, WOW Sylvie!

I am so proud of you. You put in so much hard work this year and it paid off! Your husband is awesome! I, like Andrea, could totally picture him saying that :lol: Tell him he's a superstar for all he did to help you :D

Andrea is right. Your dad would be so proud.

Well done :ymhug:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:26 pm

Gotta love it when a year's ambitious plans fall into place so well. 50K is basically a marathon with less crowding and better aid stations but 50 miles is a lot to persevere through (so much so that it's a bridge I'm not ready to cross).

orleansrunner1962 wrote:If you’re wondering what’s next for me, why a 100-miler of course – but that’s another story for another day!!

You have another 50 years to gear up for that one.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”