Lisa P's STWM - from disappointment to a new perspective

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:58 pm

Sometimes it's amazing how a marathon can change your perspective.

I guess at some point it becomes about more than just chasing PB's and BQ's. I think that's what happened for me today.

First of all, to the race!

For those of you who just want the numbers
4:10:13 good for 46 out of 124 in my category.

Now - the rest of the story

I headed down to Nathan Phillips Square and waited in the Sheraton Hotel to escape the rain that was beginning to fall harder and harder. Who should find me there but Robin and her friend. Yay! Eventually, after using the nice hotel washrooms, we headed to the bag check (WAY WAY WAY more efficient than last year. I know CRS works hard to avoid repeat disasters like that one.)

So despite being SOAKING wet (I had to sacrifice my Chilly Half jacket :( ) We were ready to go! The course was so crowded though. It took forever to get into my pace. Miraculously, the rain stopped, and at this point on the course, the winds were pretty calm! All was feeling good,and I got into my pace. The first 10K were slow because of the slow first 3K though. I was actually feeling amazing, but my paces were no where near what they were in the first half of Goodlife a couple of years ago (no downhill tailwind to ride!) Sub 4 hour was going to be close, but I thought I still had a chance. I was really afraid to pick up the pace though, because I was feeling I wouldn't be able to hold it. My happy pace was drifting too, even though my legs felt good. I reached the half @ 2hrs even - that was not in my plan, but was able to keep that pace mostly through 35K. At this point, it was obvious that the sub 4 was out the door, and I have to admit to losing some of my mental. I didn't even bother looking at my watch for the rest of the race. I honestly didn't know how I well I was running - but I was running. I really only stopped for the last 2 water stops, because I was feeling a bit nauseous - I'm certain from dehydration. But I started to feel better in the last 2K and just decided to keep running to get this bugger over with.

I have decided I don't like this course. There are just too many switch backs, which can be demoralizing IMO. For example, I saw Robin coming back on Queen ST, thinking I must not be that far behind her, until I saw how far we still had to go before switching back on Queen. She was WAY ahead of me, and had a great race.

Anyway, upon finishing, I was feeling awful! I felt sick, disappointed, and wondering why the heck I bothered with all of the training. Then, a couple of girls came up behind me, and one of them said "I see you at all of my races, and you always pass me - you are awesome!" We chatted a bit, and indeed we had been in alot of the same races. I was starting to feel better. Then numerous congratulations from random people. Walking back to the subway, yet another lady came up to me and told me how good I looked in the race (she had been using me to pace off) You know this happens a lot to in races, I believe, because I'm quite distinctive, so when people see me on the course, they seem to remember.

By the time the food and electrolytes had kicked in, I was feeling more positive. I will say, though that my biggest disappointment is not my time, but rather the way my mental let me down. I will also say, that I am prepared to admit that I overestimated my fitness, and I should have been able to tell from the pace of my easy runs even, that I don't have the speed of a couple of years ago. I thought my endurance might carry the day, but I guess I overestimated that too.

Still.. For a little old woman 3 weeks away from her 50th birthday, I'll allow myself to be proud to finish another marathon half decently. :D :D

I think it's also time for me to pay it back a bit, that starts with leading the Half Marathon clinic starting in January. I'm ready to take my running in this direction. I like that it's possible for me to inspire people, and I've had many fellow racers at various races tell me I have. I want to keep doing this in a different way. :D

That's about it from this years STWM! Oh - thanks for passing the time with me at the start Robin - it made waiting in the rain easier!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Re: Lisa P's STWM - from disappointment to a new perspective

Postby Engmomma » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:15 pm

You are an inspiration. I hope the clinic attendees appreciate what you can pay forward. Take care now and rest up.
The Summer of Eng is over.

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:16 pm

:D

It really amazes me how much people say that the marathon really plays with your mind/emotions. (I've never run one)
I can understand where your mind was coming from and the 'disappointment' BUT you really ran a great run, and have a great time, and obviously inspire so many people and that IS AWESOME!

congrats on a great day! :)

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Postby ratherawkward » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Glad you were able to take away the positives from the experience! That rain before the start really was quite miserable, though.
PR's so far: 5K 27:15, 10K 55:25, 21.1K 2:10:53, 42.2K 5:21:27
Upcoming: Toronto Women's 5k in May, STWM Half in October

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:46 pm

Great analysis and perspective!

Congratulations on another finish and, more importantly, learning a bit about yourself. I love the attitude and I'm sure it will become even more solid as you recover from this in the next few days and weeks.

For the record- I DON'T think your goal was out of line and I know I'm not alone in thinking you were in better shape this time around than before. The marathon isn't always predictable, though. Who knows if you had had different conditions on another course.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Congratulations on another fine marathon, Lisa. On one hand sure - you must be a bit disappointed - but then you are such an inspiration for so many others ( including the other runners in the race ) that when you complete another pretty decent effort it is yet another success. ( IMHO!!) You are certainly someone to whom I look up in this game of running!!
Have a great time in Hawaii - you have certainly earned it!! :)

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:55 pm

I love the honesty in your analysis. The mental part of marathoning is probably the hardest to "train".

Like Jen, I don't think your goal was out of line. You are such a consistent runner, and your training was stellar. Like Jen said, another day/course and things could have been completely different.

You are an inspiration for sure. (From one old lady to another). :lol:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:02 pm

In a marathon you are competing against mental and physical obstacles, against expectations and by the sounds of it, something that I am also battling and that is a younger self. And if you step back a moment, hard to see any completed marathon as a "failure" when you are doing something that only about .1% of the people do any year and somewhere between .5% - 2% of the population has ever done.

Plus, being older and wiser should have some advantages such as realizing that running yourself into the ground to reach some arbitrary number that really does not hold any meaning is not worth it.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:00 pm

Congrats, I think you did great. I found it tough out there today as well. The crowds were so tough I found until the half split off. I think that maybe people weren't in the right corrals? This course beats me up every year, and every year I go back! The wind at the end was rough. It was blowing me so you must have been affected by it as well. You looked strong when I saw you, and didn't think you were that far behind me.

So nice to hang with you :D

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:25 pm

Loved this race report as it ambled through your race...and came out the other end :D
Well done...and btw...love your plan of "paying it forward" :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:31 pm

Ken B wrote:Congratulations on another fine marathon, Lisa. On one hand sure - you must be a bit disappointed - but then you are such an inspiration for so many others ( including the other runners in the race ) that when you complete another pretty decent effort it is yet another success. ( IMHO!!) You are certainly someone to whom I look up in this game of running!!
Have a great time in Hawaii - you have certainly earned it!! :)

+1

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:06 pm

You had a great training season, VERY consistent and strong -- race day is always full of "unexpected" -- the first person who coached me told me that "100 things need to go RIGHT on race day to meet your goal".... isn't that the truth!!?? You ran a solid effort, and got 'er done!! I LOVE that you will be "paying it forward", and will continue to inspire many more runners..... awesome!!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Congratulations on another marathon in the books, Lisa ... really impressed with your consistency and dedication to your training, day in and day out .... remembering that the marathon, itself, is just the bonus, upon completion of your journey leading up to it .....
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:14 pm

Jwolf wrote:For the record- I DON'T think your goal was out of line and I know I'm not alone in thinking you were in better shape this time around than before. The marathon isn't always predictable, though. Who knows if you had had different conditions on another course.

Agreed. Some days things just don't line up, despite your fitness. I think you still have more great performances ahead of you!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:52 pm

Lisa, you always inspire me with your racing and training. You are so consistent and dedicated in your training and unfortunately, sometimes race day just isn't what you hope it to be. Congrats on a solid race. You should be proud!
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:23 pm

Sometimes a pat on the back is a reminder of what we have accomplished. Congratulations!
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:16 am

The Marathon is 90% mental, and other 10% is in your head

Feel good. Congrats. You are doing something that most people find amazing. I think the rain before hand not only got people wet but a bit psyched out. The conditions turned out to be pretty good except the gusts of wind coming home but that hour of uncertainty before the race wasn't good for people getting their game on. I may have seen you on the course as I was the 4 hour RW pacer (4:00 8 second). If you are thinking of shifting your goals, you could always think about pacing. I think I could find a pair of bunny ears for you at ORW or Army Run.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:36 am

It sounds like a tough day on a mentally tough course. I think you should be very proud of the result, and it's amazing that you're already planning how to pay it back! That running clinic will be lucky to have you.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:14 pm

canalrunner wrote:The Marathon is 90% mental, and other 10% is in your head

Feel good. Congrats. You are doing something that most people find amazing. I think the rain before hand not only got people wet but a bit psyched out. The conditions turned out to be pretty good except the gusts of wind coming home but that hour of uncertainty before the race wasn't good for people getting their game on. I may have seen you on the course as I was the 4 hour RW pacer (4:00 8 second). If you are thinking of shifting your goals, you could always think about pacing. I think I could find a pair of bunny ears for you at ORW or Army Run.

I totally did see you! In fact I tried to hang just behind you for a while at about the 35(?) mark, caught up with you once on your walk break, then lost you for good :? You know I'm going to keep this bunny gig in mind! Maybe the 2:15-2:30 HM?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:36 pm

Any day you can run a marathon is a good day.

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:50 pm

It is too bad your mental let you down. Being at 2:00 at the half, given the first 3km were slow, you were probably in pretty good shape. But doing time math and adjusting the "plan" in the second half of a marathon is not usually a good idea!

You the did the best you could with what you had, and for that you should be proud.

And to paraphrase Ian: you just ran a MARATHON, how cool is that!?!

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:52 pm

Since when are you a little old lady?? :naughty:

Congratulations on your marathon! You did great!!! Such an inspiration, and I hope you enjoy Hawaii to the fullest. :ymhug:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:54 pm

Congratulations on your race, and I loved your report. It gives me heart to read about the mental challenges that you faced, and overcame, in your race. You WILL be a great inspiration to all the people you work with in the clinic--and you are already that to me!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:30 pm

Hey, some days you're the seagull, some days you're my car (if you get my meaning). I'm glad you've got a positive outlook on the race- it could've been a lot worse, for sure! You gave it your all, and really, that's all you can ever do. I think your clinic members will be really lucky to have you!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:21 am

Any days you can run a marathon is a good one, at least that's what I tell myself when I've had a disappoiting race. You are still a force to be reckon with and super strong. Good job Lisa
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”