It's kinda fun doing the impossible - Ironboy goes Goofy

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:02 pm

My Superboy costume was the best 60 bucks I ever spent.

Turning 42 this year, I wanted to run a marathon close to my birthday, but that really didn't work out. So as it happens, the Walt Disney World Marathon fell 4 days after I turned 42.2. This had to be a sign. When Irongirl gave the go ahead to register she gave one caveat. You don't go all the way to Disney to run "just a Marathon". It was on my bucket list, so I figured: why not. I really wanted that Goofy medal.

The next task was a costume, I had to do it in a costume. I found the coolest Superboy costume on a Chinese web site, $40 plus $20 shipping. I hummed and I hawed and in a moment of courage or insanity, I ordered it. I was a little surprised when I actually received it, I somehow imagined it was a scam or it would look nothing like the picture. I couldn't have been more wrong. This would make the race so much more fun, but I couldn't have imagined just how much more.

Training was not stellar. Cold and wet days, running back to back long runs, getting sick, all made it difficult to get good quality runs in. For the first time in my running life found myself loathing the thought of going out for a run. Usually after 10 or 20 minutes I'd find a groove and be happy with my run. Not this time. Every step seem more laborious than the last. I really wasn't enjoying myself. My longest training weekend was a 15km/31km combo, and that was only once. The rest were 10km/20somethingkm or a 30km with no Saturday run, and there were too few of those.

I did have a few cards up my sleeve though, I had trained running continuously, plus my Saturday pace was typically faster than the longer Sunday runs. On race day my legs wouldn't be as trashed since I was running the half with Irongirl at a 6:30/km average pace, about a minute per km slower than in training, plus doing 10's a 1's which would ease the toll taken on my legs. Also, much of my training was on poor footing, in varying depths of snow and slush, and race day would be on dry pavement which would also be less taxing.

The only other variable was the weather and how a full Lycra bodysuit would affect my ability to run in hot Florida weather. Early race start and water retention of the suit might mitigate the risks.

The parade of zombies was much more lively and jovial than at Ironman. These people were way happier than they should've been before 4:00am. The Disney affair is very much an event for beginners. The average finish times are way slower than most races. Consequently, everyone is just so incredibly happy to be there, often in disbelief that they are actually doing this. It was rather refreshing. Not a lot of egos.

The march was endless, and I was quite chilly even in my bodysuit. Huge port-a-potties lines congested passage to the corrals, we inched our way to the start area with the clock ticking dangerously close to start time. Ultimately we arrived at corral B with only 1 minute to spare before the 5:00am cut off at which time they said if you weren't in your corral you couldn't start the race. Clearly they didn't enforce this rule.

I liked the fireworks better than the Army Run's Howitzer. Being in corral B we got to see them 3 times, wheelchair start, corral A start and our start.

There were lots of long roads and parking lots, but there were so many runners you didn't really get that lonely feeling. Once in while there would be an entertainment station with a DJ or a marching band (standing still) or photo ops (which had long line ups, so we opted not to stop). Every one of these places where spectators were close enough to see us (and there was good enough lighting) I would hear: "Go Superman!"

At around mile 4, we came around the motor speedway (the out side, not the inside like the Marathon would) and caught our first glimpse of Cinderella's castle. That was magical. It was draped in pixie dust. But it sure seemed far away.

Coming into Magic Kingdom, even the staff (or "cast members" as they are called) would call out: "Go Superman!". But nothing could prepare me for Main street USA. The crowd erupted for us.

Well, for Superman. Poor Irongirl, she was just "the girl running next to Superman". (sorry babe, next time you wear the costume)!

We stopped to take a pic of Irongirl with Cinderella's castle in the background then ran around Tomorrow Land (Irongirl commented that it must be hard to keep that from becoming Yesterday land), then through the castle to the sound of blaring trumpets. Very cool indeed.

And just like that, we were through Magic Kingdom and back on the lonely road headed back to Epcot.

Just before the end there was a rather nasty up hill (overpass I think) were the soldiers from Toy Story were "encouraging" people up the hill.

Next thing I know Sarge is yelling "Superman! Get down and give me three", stunned, I dropped and started doing push ups. Make it FIVE he says (apparently to give Irongirl enough time to snap a pic)! Thanks a lot. I can't believe I actually did that, but I didn't have the presence of mind to do anything else. At least it made for a good pic.

Coming back in to Epcot, the cheers for Superman started again with a vengeance, as daylight increased more people could see the giant red "S" from further away. I decided then and there that I had to wear the costume for the Marathon, the benefit of the crowd support out weighed the risk of heat, and I would use my mitigation strategy too.

Irongirl's foot held out, we finished strong in 2:19:02, all things considered, an admirable time. I was very proud of her. Then we walked all over the place and back looking for the buses. Frustrating end to the event, but we were happy once we were on our bus, headed back to the resort and the kids.

The Marathon was going to be a crap shoot, I think it was the first time I went into a race really not knowing if I'd be able to finish it. I was under trained for Vegas in 2007 but in complete denial. This time I knew I didn't have adequate training.

I decided not to run with a watch or Garmin during the Marathon and rely on perceived effort. Since the plan was to go as hard as I could while the sun was still down and bank as much time as I could before it got too hot. I'd likely have to ease off at the end anyway so it made sense as a race strategy. Although I had no real goal, I did want to try and make it under my 3:58 from Vegas.

I decided to walk the mile markers, it wouldn't be exactly 10s and 1s but it would do. Turns out they each had a clock so I'd have an idea of my progress.

Once it started to warm up I began pouring water on my suit at each water station. This turned out to be a very effective strategy. I was through the half in 1:56 and change and hadn't seen the sun yet. I kept pushing the pace and it wasn't until mile 15 that the sun finally broke the tree line and even then only when we were at the top of an overpass.

By ESPN Wide world of Sports, there was no hiding from the sun anymore, but the water retention in the suit was doing it's job. Things got considerably harder by mile 19, but that was more to do with my fitness than the heat.

If the the cheers for Superboy were amazing during the half, they paled in comparison to the Marathon, I felt like a rock star. The thing with Superman, much like the Disney characters, everybody recognizes that big red "S", young and old, across all cultures. In the parks it was even better, the staff would call out to me, parents would point me out to their kids, if I struck a Superman flying pose with one arm out front, the crowd would go wild. Running through the baseball stadium when I was on the jumbo-tron, the stadium went crazy.

Definitely the best 60 bucks I ever spent.

The last few miles were really rough, I don't remember ever looking forward to a finish line so much. Coming around the Pavilions of the world in Epcot I had nothing left, even the cheers for Superman weren't enough to put any kind of bounce in my step. I ran, well jogged, to be sure, I took no unscheduled walk breaks, but I was sure looking for those mile markers at the end, let me tell you.

Then there it was, just like the day before, the finish line was before me, the crowd cheered, the announcer cried "Here comes Superman", and I did it. I ran a Marathon. No matter how you slice it, that is a very cool thing to be able to say, regardless of whether you did the half the day before or not. I was Superman.

During the race there were signs along the road. I first noticed them along the worst part of the course, where it goes along the waste treatment centre, the signed talked about how much water is recycled and whatnot. I mostly ignored them, but at one point my eye fell upon one that was a quote by Walt himself, it said: "It's kinda fun doing the impossible" - Walt Disney. It really struck a chord, I felt like I was doing exactly that, the impossible.

Donald Duck Half Marathon 2:19:02
Mickey Mouse Marathon 4:04:29
Goofy Race and a half challenge: 6:23:31

I couldn't be happier.
Last edited by Ironboy on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carm
Bill Crothers

Re: It's kinda fun doing the impossible - Ironboy goes Goofy

Postby carm » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Congrats on your Goofy, IB and big hurrahs for the rest of the IronFamily too! Thanks for a detailed and entertaining race report. All that CrossFit got you ready for those push-ups, huh? :)
Carm

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:22 pm

Should've gone Dopey ... :shifty: :shock: :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:23 pm

Glad you and the family had a great time at Disney! You had a really good race weekend in that heat. Welcome to the Goofy club! :D

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Awesome time. I wondered how you guys were. We need more S boy pictures!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Yet again another fine report!

Thanks again for sharing your experience. Sounds like a well-executed weekend, regardless if you feel you were not completely ready. I loved seeing the pic of you doing the push-ups when IG shared it on FB.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Fantastic Race Report.
I'm glad you went as Superman...it''s so you :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:04 pm

congratulations!!! loved the report!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:36 pm

Great report superman! Congratulations!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Awesome race report! And as a big Superman fan, I love the idea of your running in costume. Well done, sir!
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:36 pm

Link didn't work for me :(
Congrats on achieving true Super Goofy status :wink: :lol:
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:01 pm

Way to go IronFamily. :dance:
Great job Superman. :D
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:29 am

Bravo! Those are awesome results and I lvoe the costume!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:48 am

Such a great report! Thanks for sharing. :) And congrats on your races, too!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

irun4me
Tom Longboat

Postby irun4me » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:06 am

Way to go SuperGoofy!! Such great fun. Saw a few Superboys...maybe one of them was you!?! Fantastic run!
I do love the Toy Soldiers 'browbeating' the runners. "If you're walking, you're doing push-ups!!! Down and give me 10!!" Lol
2013 WDW Goofy Challenge
Peterborough half

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:27 am

I got a good chuckle out of the push ups. Way to go!!!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:31 am

Congrats! Great read!
love the push up pic!

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:02 pm

A half and a full, undertrained and in a superman custom???????

Incredible!
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Impressive, IB! I love the photo of you doing push-ups during the half. Who says CF and distance running don't go together? :)

I also think it's great that you & IG were able to share this journey - very nice.
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Great report! Glad it went so well for you guys. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:37 pm

Nicely done, IB!

I can't believe you did the push-ups :lol: When I saw people doing that I thought, geez, if I got down there all I would do is go to sleep!

I also can't believe you wore that suit in the heat! I wore my Supergirl suit on the Saturday and Captain Jack Sparrow asked if the "S" was for "Sparrow" :lol:

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Nice! Congratulations
The pictures don't work for me either :(

(Way to go Kiza!)

And, I love that you had to do 5 push ups in the middle of the race... :lol:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:26 pm

Well, you pulled off another one! I confess, I was worried about you with the lack of back to back long runs. But Superman made it! With push ups even!!!

Well done, as usual :D
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:39 am

Thanks guys!

I still can't believe I actually did those push ups.

I saw him again during the full and I told him "no push ups this time" he said: "I wouldn't ask you to"!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”