Jamix's 2013 debut race

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
jamix
Bill Crothers

Jamix's 2013 debut race

Postby jamix » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:56 am

It's been nearly 5 months since I've done an actual race and 10 months since I've written a race report! However Spring is here, the weight has been coming off and for the first time I have a sponsor (sort of) whose brand I'm trying to advertise.

RESULTS:

1st in AG out of 8

2nd overall out of 223 runners

Time: 40:16

http://www.sportstats.ca/displayResults ... ode=104242

In many ways I can relate this race to my 2012 10km debut which was the Richmond Road 10km in January. For instance before both races, I had been losing weight and had weighed 167lbs on race day. In both races, I was training myself back from an injury that occurred approximately one month or so before hand (shoe related injuries for 2013 vs over-training related injuries in 2012). And in both races I had run similar times (40:16 in 2013 vs 40:28 in 2012).

However the similarities end there and with that, here is my Manotick RR :)

RACE REPORT

Pre-race:

Coming into this race, I had set myself some pretty ambitious goals. Although I wasn't expecting a podium spot (a quick check on Sportstats revealed that this would've required running a 36 minute 10km in the 2012 race!), I had nonetheless set myself a speedy time goal of 38 minutes. My training coming into this race consisted mostly of two weeks of very easy running with a one week break in between, for a total of 170 km (95km first week, 75 in the next). I had also done three quality runs at < 4:00 / km on the track in my new hybrid-minimalist shoes 8) (I had bought a pair of Brooks 7oz PureConnect running shoes after my VFF's experiment / disaster).

RACE START:

Anyway fast forward to April 28th 8:40 am, I'm standing at the front of the crowd of runners at the start line. Although
this race had a decent size field and 2012's results looked impressive, most of the people standing at the front were kids! Yes the front of the start line made the race look like some grade 8-9 High School meet! There were some adults there too and I even cleverly identified a tall older runner who had a good runners physique wearing compression socks, who I predicted would be my main rival for this race (assuming there were no good runners standing in the crowd behind me that is).

The gun goes off and sure enough all the kids race to the lead. For awhile I'm in 4th or 5th place and up the road I can see a girl who looks 12 or 13. Ahead of her, I see a couple of 11-12 year olds following an older blond-haired boy who I figure to be around 14-15 years old.

I didn't wear a watch for this race as I was worried my 38-minute time goal might pressure me into disaster. Nevertheless I ran a constant effort from the start and within minutes the three pre-teens had slowed and fallen behind me. Somewhere around the 1 or 2km I had caught the 14-15 year old on an incline. I knew he must've been suffering since I'm pretty slow on the inclines compared to equal competition.

From 2-4 km, I was in the lead! For a little while, I was certain I was going to win the race. The thought occurred in my head that I was possibly running very fast since the winning time last year was 35:44! Deep down though I knew I wasn't going that fast. The course wasn't very hilly, but it was very rolling with a likely gradient between -3% --- +3% for many parts. It was also starting to become a little bit obvious that my PureConnect running shoes didn't fare as well on pavement as they did on the softer manicured in-door track where I had done all of my previous faster runs.

I could see the slender older runner who I had mentioned earlier slowly making his way up to me (he was wearing compression socks, so I'm going to call him "sock-man" from now on). For a little while, it wasn't obvious that he was
gaining any ground on me. The course was on a decline and I suspect this allowed me to keep my distance. However
before the race got to the 4km mark, the gradient had changed and we were now running up an incline which allowed
him to catch me :(

From 4 to 5 km is where this race was really decided. There was a little bit of chatter going on back and forth
between us. Even though there was virtually no head wind, I said I would try to draft behind him. I said this in the hopes that it would encourage him to make the oxygen-depriving mistake of trying to get away from me by running hard up the hill that would eventually be approaching us :shifty:

In the end nothing worked. We stayed together until a little after 5km, but sock man was just a wee bit too fast. He never made any obvious surges or increased efforts on the hills or anywhere. His kept a constant pace / effort which was unfortunately just 1-2% more than I was capable of matching.

The last 6-10km were uneventful. No one else was anywhere close to the two of us, and very slowly but surely sock man continued to put feet and then metres of distance between us. He would eventually finish 30 seconds ahead of me in 39:46.

Post-race:

Someone from the media took a photo of myself and sock man with each others arms around the others shoulders.
Sock-man also cleverly guessed that I was a track runner because I ran with a mid-foot strike. His observation really had me thinking that perhaps I'm spending too much time at the track :think: .

My gf was very happy with my finish which made me happy. This put me in a better mood, as I was very briefly upset coming through the finish line and seeing over 40 minutes on the race clock (given my second place, I was sort of expecting a 37:xx). I was even more elated when they later announced that the 5km race was really 5.5km. I thought "yes, perhaps this means that my race was really 11km!!!!!" However MP from Euro-Sport who was working for Sport-stats that day said she had measured it as being about 10.2km on her garmin. In my heart, I suspect it really was exactly 10km or only just a tad over this.

Anyway, good race, good placeing, good sunny day and a good start to compare upcoming 10km races too. The Early Bird Triathlon on May 18th is next. Stay tuned :) !
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Re: Jamix's 2013 debut race

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:20 am

congrats!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:33 am

Nicel done, James ... That Euro-Sports singlet gave you wings, eh !!! :shifty: :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:02 pm

Congratulations, well done!!

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:16 pm

Congrats!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:36 pm

Nice report! Congratulations on your fine finishing time and position. ( You gotta watch out for those "compression sock " people! ) :)

Dean Simon
Tom Longboat

Postby Dean Simon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Really nice race. Looking at your avatar you seem to have a similar build to myself. Its hard to draft behind distance runners, when you have broad shoulder lol ... but partial drafting still helps lol.

Sounds like we are in the same speed range too. Aiming for 37:xx this summer. Good report. Keep up the good work

d
PBs

Running
5k 19:49 - 8k 32:24 - 10k 43:50 - 10 m 67:10 - Half 1:42:00 - Full 3:20:44

tri
sprint 1:30 - Olympic 2:52 - 1/2 IM 7:17 - Full IM ???

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Congrats on your race.
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:52 am

Thanks for the kudos everyone. I hope the next RR has an equally good time to go with the result 8)

Dean Simon wrote:Sounds like we are in the same speed range too. Aiming for 37:xx this summer. Good report. Keep up the good work

With a current 43:50 pb, you've got your work cut out for you my friend :)

HCcD wrote:Nicel done, James ... That Euro-Sports singlet gave you wings, eh !!! :shifty: :lol: :wink:

You know that race probably gave more advertisement and media attention to Euro-Sport than any other I've done previously. Right after the race, someone from the media even took a photo of me with the winner and then during the awards someone took another pic. I'm not sure where those pictures ended up, but I couldn't have given you guys more advertisement at any other or previous race then the one on Sunday :) !
2013 GOALS:

- Stay healthy and happy

Races

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:53 pm

Well done James!!

Are you doing K-Town? If so...do you want to reserve your C-Moss B&B room? :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:00 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:Well done James!!

Are you doing K-Town? If so...do you want to reserve your C-Moss B&B room? :D :D

Thanks so much for the offer :D I want to yes, but I'm not confident enough yet to sign up. I mentioned to my gf about your "bed and breakfast" offer before when I tried to encourage her about taking a cheap vacation, but she seems unusually shy :? .............I'll be sure to try again though!
2013 GOALS:

- Stay healthy and happy

Races

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:05 pm

jamix wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:Well done James!!

Thanks so much for the offer :D I want to yes, but I'm not confident enough yet to sign up. I mentioned to my gf about your "bed and breakfast" offer before when I tried to encourage her about taking a cheap vacation, but she seems unusually shy :? .............I'll be sure to try again though!

Sounds good!
Keep me posted :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed May 01, 2013 9:01 pm

Nicely done!!! Congratulations.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED