Andy's 2014 ORW Bunny and Pace Report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon May 26, 2014 7:02 am

The Ottawa Race Weekend, for me in recent years has not been about racing, for me, but rather a celebration for me being blessed with continuing to participate in this incredible sport ... as my Spring race/event has usually been earlier in the month .. Ha !!! And, no different this year, as I was priviledged to be asked to be the 10K / 50 minute pace bunnyon Saturday evening, as well as running the half marathon with Jes for a sub 1:50:xx Sunday morning ... :P

Part 1: 10K Bunny Report

Race weekend started for me on Saturday morning at the Friendship Run and Bunny Hop, meeting my fellow Bunnies, as well as the Man "John Stanton" for the annual pep talk ... I brought along my camera to take a few photos, as I was not planning to run, as I had the 10K gig later that evening ... Met up with Lisa and her DH, and Pooch, for a bit, and took a few photos of my little fur-buddy, Bailey .. :)

After the Bunny Hop, went back to the Race Expo to pick up my free Ottawa Marathon Book that was given to all the Pace Bunnies this year, thanks Mark, for arranging this surprise souvenir, then went home to rest up a bit before returning back later in the afternoon ....

Anyways, arrived back downtown around 3:30pm or so, just enough time for one final look at the Expo, before it closed, and surprisingly, had enough self-control to not buying anything this year, other than a couple of K-Tapes earlier in the race weekend ... :shifty: At 4pm or so, starting heading down to the race site, and found myself sitting at approximately at the 1K mark of the 5K event ... It was kinda neat just being able to sit and watch for once …

After the last runners / walkers had passed, about 45 minutes after the official start of the race, I headed to the race site and just started preparing for my Bunny duties … Got to my corral about 30 minutes before the start and waited around .. Met and chatted with a number of runners, asking the same question, if I running continuous or not, even though my bunny sign had 10:1 written on … And, once I responded that I will be the Run:Walk, with about a 4:49 or so running pace, walk adjusted, then they would respond … Do you know if and when the other 50 minute Continuous Bunny will be showing up? As they did not wan to do the run:walk thing … Anyhoo, the other bunny eventually showed up and a bunch of runners herded towards him, leaving me with my own little Brigade … :)

As the race starts, had to funnel the way through the crowds and started to clear a path for my crew and finally settled down to my pace .. At the first 1K mark, my Garmin already registered about a 15-20m differential from the signs on the road … WTF … just figured that was a blip, and continued on, and waiting for the 2K marker to confirm either way … At the 2K mark, it was hold at about a 20m differential, then I started to do a bit of adjustment during the first walk break, still hovering in the 4:47-4:49 mpk … At about 45 seconds into the first walk break, the continuous 50 min bunny passed me, so it confirmed that we were bang on, and I would likely catch up to him within the next K or bit at my running pace, as he was suppose to be holding a 5:00mpk average pace … Well, much to my surprise, I never caught up with him again, as he was getting further and further ahead of my, in particularly during each walk break … Ooops ….

By the 5K mark, my garmin noticed about a 50-60m differential and I had to start adjusting in my head to increasing the pace, accordingly, so we started running about 4:45mpk or so … In hindsight, I should have probably reduced the 1 minute walk break to 45 seconds or so, to offset the timing, but, did not want to mess up my group, as I was pretty sure that we would accommodate the difference over the last half of the race … As it was, I did notice that my pack was getting smaller, and smaller, likely because of the bump in pace, and/or the fact that they did not like the walk breaks and just continued to run …

At about the 7.8K mark so, approx 39 minute or so, a couple of the die-hards who kept with me, was asking when the next walk break was … arggghhh, in my head, as I had hoped to skp it, as it was so close to the end … and responded that it will be in a couple of minutes, or roughly at the Pretoria Bridge overpass … As promised, I took the 4th and final walk break at 8.5K, 42-43 minute mark or so and did the math in my head that we probably were not going to make it … So, once we started running again, I suggested to my pack, if they wanted to break 50 minutes, then they should take off now at about 800m left and/or wait until that final bend along Queen Elizabeth Dr, at around the 500m to the finish line … So, pretty well, I was left high and dry, with just having to bring it in to the end …

Picked up the pace a wee bit, about 50m or so to go once I saw the clock and eventually finished at 50:05 … 5 seconds or so over my Bunny Time … so close, averaging .05sec per km slower than planned …

Once I picked up my finisher's medal, went through the finishing area and headed to the car and drove straight home to shower and change and eat a bit before settling down for the next day …..

Part 2: 1/2 Marathon Pace Report

The Plan was conceived to run with Jes for a sub 1:50:xx half marathon ….

Moving forward, had a bit of a restless night, as I was up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 2am or so … and, just layed around their dozing off a bit, and finally getting up at around 5am or so, to get ready and head down to the race site, to get my parking spot at City Hall and watch the start of the Marathon .. :)

Met up with Jes at around 8am or so, chatting it up a bit with some other K2J Fitness Peeps, before starting the revolving Port-a-Potty visits over the next 30 minutes .. Ha !!!

Entered the Corrals at about 8:45am, slowly squeezing our way through the mass of human beings before hitting a brick wall and could not move any further … positioning ourselves right by the 1:55 Bunny and just behind the 2 1:50:xx Bunnies …. Oh, this keep this thought in mind, as it will be a bit of irony at the end … Ha !!!

The gun (err Horn) finally goes and the race starts … Took us about 2 minutes to cross the start line, and as it was similar to the start of the 10K, the evening before, I sorta kinda knew what to expect … the plan was to pick it upon the first 1K down Elgin St to get a bit of space and distance from the crowd … We succeeded and hit the first 1K at 5:06, pretty bang on and then settled down at about 5:11-5:12 mpk ….

Nothing much happening, as Jes is not very talkative during races, for whatever reason … and, most of our communications are usually done with hand signals, left, right, slow, potholes, etc ….

Everything was going smoothly until about the 9K or so, when Jes had to stop for a few seconds to catch her breath, I guess ?? Thereafter, we continued on, down Wellington St. and through Tunney's Pasture … from about 10K to 15K or so, we were hovering in the 5:15-5:17 mpk range, as it was a lot of false flats and overpasses along the Western Parkway and in the Gatineau portions … we did pretty good, maintaing our pace, or limiting the lost of a second or two, considering ….

Things were going good, so I though, then at about the 17K mark or so, on the Alexandria Bridge, thought I heard my name, then a few seconds later, turned my head and Jes had vanished … Ooops, a Bunny should never lose sight of their Peeps … anyways, stopped running and turned around, and eventually saw her walking towards me, and not looking very good, as she was experiencing breathing issues, or there lack of … :( … anyways, stopped a bit, then walked about a minute or two .. Was even concerned for a bit, if she would be able to continue … then eventually, we re-grouped and pretty well suggested that the race was over, re: Time Goal wise, and the focus for the next 4K was just to cross the finish line with a bit of race management and strategic walk breaks …

In the end, we finished at 1:54:57 or so, literally just in front of the 1:55:xx Bunny Brigade … Ha !!!!

Though, the race did not go quite as planned, I am still proud of how Jes gutted it out (literally and figuratively) perservered the final 4K this weekend .. She is one determined and touch chica, I tell ya … :)

Anyways, this marks the conclusion of my Winter/Spring Training/Race cycle … and, expect the next couple of months to be fine-tuning my shorter distances with shorter races planned, before the start of the next Fall Marathon Cycle in July/August or so …
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Re: Andy's 2014 ORW Bunny and Pace Report

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon May 26, 2014 7:53 am

Nice work on your double duties this weekend! Congrats to Jes as well...awesome work.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon May 26, 2014 8:07 am

Good job on your pace duties Andy.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Mon May 26, 2014 8:25 am

Nice pacing!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon May 26, 2014 9:56 am

Yay Andy!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon May 26, 2014 10:07 am

Well done on the pacing! Just seems a bit odd to me to have a run/walk pacer for such a relatively fast 10k time. Do they do that every year?

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Postby n_fraser » Mon May 26, 2014 10:54 am

Sounds like victories on both days, congratulations!! I think it would be fun to be a bunny some day.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon May 26, 2014 10:55 am

Joe Dwarf wrote:Well done on the pacing! Just seems a bit odd to me to have a run/walk pacer for such a relatively fast 10k time. Do they do that every year?

Strange you should mention that, as I was chatting to the Bunny Master yesterday about this very topic ... Perhaps, better to have 2x Continuous Bunnies, as it is usually a popular time goal for most ..

One could argue, because it is an RR Sponsored event, and Pace Bunnies, accordingly, that they should be following the Run:Walk philosophy ... but, on the other hand ....

In hindsight, perhaps, only a 30 second walk break would have been sufficient, in particularly on the 4th and final walk break .... :what: :what:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 26, 2014 12:53 pm

Nice pacing jobs, Andy!

I can see how getting that close to a 50-minute time would be tough, and I'd say you did good. Especially since your peeps seemed to be ahead of you. Having done that time or close to it a few times, I also don't get why the Running Room advocates walk breaks for that pace-- doesn't make much sense to me.

Sorry that Jes didn't make her goal this time but she is SO CLOSE. Just not the day for it, I suspect.... she'll get there with or without your help. ;)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon May 26, 2014 12:59 pm

Jwolf wrote:Having done that time or close to it a few times, I also don't get why the Running Room advocates walk breaks for that pace-- doesn't make much sense to me.
I've never done the run/walk thing so I was unsure whether it made sense. I know that locally, anyone breaking 50 minutes in a 10k is well into the top 10% of finishers and (I assumed) past needing to walk in a 10k race.
Last edited by Joe Dwarf on Mon May 26, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 26, 2014 1:02 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Having done that time or close to it a few times, I also don't get why the Running Room advocates walk breaks for that pace-- doesn't make much sense to me.
I've never done the run/walk thing so I was unsure whether it made sense to me. I know that locally, anyone breaking 50 minutes in a 10k is well into the top 10% of finishers and (I assumed) past needing to walk in a 10k race.

I don't think the idea is that you "need" to walk but the theory is that it allows you to maintain an overall faster time. That's what they clam at least, even at that pace.

I don't think they do that at the Running Rooms here though.

eta: I don't know what they do in the 10K clinics, but I know the faster pace groups of the marathon and half-marathon groups don't use them. There are no Running Room 10K events here with pace bunnies.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon May 26, 2014 1:09 pm

Jwolf wrote:I don't think the idea is that you "need" to walk but the theory is that it allows you to maintain an overall faster time. That's what they clam at least, even at that pace.
I hate walking, hate starting up again. Especially at race pace.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon May 26, 2014 2:05 pm

Well done at your pacing! I am happy that you feel blessed to run and feel joy. Maybe one of these years we will go back to my 2008 ORW half goal...
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon May 26, 2014 2:15 pm

Great weekend Andy! It was great to spend some time. And a special thanks for the Bailey pics!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon May 26, 2014 5:23 pm

Congratulations on two really fine races, Andy! :)

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon May 26, 2014 6:21 pm

great stuff!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon May 26, 2014 6:34 pm

Great job pacing. I was watching the 10K race online and thought I might see your group as they were showing the commentators with the race in the background. It was around the time you were finishing. Saw 2 pacers run by but couldn't tell if it was you.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue May 27, 2014 12:09 pm

IronColl wrote:Well done at your pacing! I am happy that you feel blessed to run and feel joy. Maybe one of these years we will go back to my 2008 ORW half goal...

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Promises, promises, Colleen ... :shifty:

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Tue May 27, 2014 2:01 pm

Good job, bunny Andy! :D
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Tue May 27, 2014 11:59 pm

Well done Andy - I'm always impressed and in awe with how you are willing to give of yourself.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Wed May 28, 2014 4:43 am

Mark 2.1 wrote:Well done Andy - I'm always impressed and in awe with how you are willing to give of yourself.

That is what makes Andy such an awesome friend. Truly a kind soul.
I feel very lucky to have him at my side as often as I do when I run since he is just happy to be out there doing what gives him joy even if it means running waaaaaaay slower, to be with me. :)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed May 28, 2014 11:50 am

Mark 2.1 wrote:Well done Andy - I'm always impressed and in awe with how you are willing to give of yourself.

This. :clap:
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed May 28, 2014 9:02 pm

Nicely done, Andy. I am so impressed at the mental math you can do on the spot, calculating paces and allowing for distances between actual and theoretical course lengths, starting and stopping walk segments...I couldn't keep up with it all just reading your report! And BTW, that was a great report and a fun read.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu May 29, 2014 5:45 am

Marg wrote:

That is what makes Andy such an awesome friend. Truly a kind soul.
I feel very lucky to have him at my side as often as I do when I run since he is just happy to be out there doing what gives him joy even if it means running waaaaaaay slower, to be with me. :)

I am the one who should be grateful with my training partners, Mark ... When you have Jes, Marg, AndyM and Beth to train with on a regular basis, what more can you ask for ?? :shifty: Perhaps, over the summer months we will be able to connect back with Carm w/Baby Alina, and MikeM, if he ever decides to train on decent days/hours again ... Ha !! :)

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Thu May 29, 2014 6:27 am

Jwolf wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:
I've never done the run/walk thing so I was unsure whether it made sense to me. I know that locally, anyone breaking 50 minutes in a 10k is well into the top 10% of finishers and (I assumed) past needing to walk in a 10k race.

I don't think the idea is that you "need" to walk but the theory is that it allows you to maintain an overall faster time. That's what they clam at least, even at that pace.

I don't think they do that at the Running Rooms here though.

eta: I don't know what they do in the 10K clinics, but I know the faster pace groups of the marathon and half-marathon groups don't use them. There are no Running Room 10K events here with pace bunnies.

Andy did an all star job as always. It was good to see him around..despite all the pictures.

I have RW at 50 minutes as a nice to have. I also have a RW at the same pace in half 1:45. I do both mostly because I have tons of pacers and interest. If another pacer had bailed, I would have moved to Andy to another spot before the race. My 145 RW pacer in the half actually uses the strategy when he does half ironmans so when he runs halfs, he does RW (not full 10:1 more 15:1) and runs sub 140. Everyone finds what works for them.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Return to “Run/Race Reports”