Spirit of the Shore Half Marathon

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Spirit of the Shore Half Marathon

Postby marymac442 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:14 pm

North Shore Half Marathon

This was pretty much just a long training run for me so a race report seems a bit much, however it does call for some stream of conciousness.

This was a small race, just 227 participants. It was well organized, but rather pricy ($79 early bird) considering there was no shirt just an Icebreaker beanie but I would certainly consider doing it again.

They had to change the route a bit this year due to construction at Park Royal mall, I'm pretty sure that the route from last year was dead flat or I probably would have thought twice about signing up for it. This year there was an irritating hill thrown in right at the start, nothing for the North Shore runners but not what this flat lander was looking for.

The start was a bit ridiculous, "ok we're going to run around the parking lot for a while, past the stop sign, oops, left at the next stop sign (try not to trip over anyone going around the corner), turn right past Shoppers Drugstore, ooh a straight stretch, ok right at Zara's and right again, wait we're heading back to the start line (this seems short for a half marathon :?: ), oh yeah, head up the ramp into the parkade :roll: , run across level two of the parkadge to get across Marine Drive, down the ramp, through the parking lot and woohoo we're on the road. Oh crap, now we have to run up 11th, whose bright idea was this - I could run this but that guy's walking and that seems like a really good idea. Walk the rest of the block and right turn onto Keith - running again up a long gradual rise. Hey that woman was ahead of me before I started walking - ok - no time lost really. All right, we're at the top and now it's down hill, right again onto Taylor Way ... and we're heading back onto the parkade :roll: - quick left onto the overpass over Taylor Way, left onto the sidewalk, hop over the curb and 180 onto the sidewalk heading down the hill, left turn and we're on a bike path. Around a corner, up the bike path to the bridge, over the river, and now follow the bike path down away from Marine Drive and under the bridge we just ran over. I think we've almost made it to where I thought this race would start. Wait, why are we running over Lion's Gate Bridge ?!? - oh ok another bike path and finally we have made it to the start of the Spirit Trail and now it's just straight running for a really long time.

Just past 5k, we started to see the first front runners on their way back (the turn around point was just before 8km), this part was a nice wide paved bike path. I spent my time hopscotching with the same women - there was one group of three who I was sure were in my age group but they were just a bit too quick for me to catch. The return trip felt good and went quick, 11.5k we made it back to the Lions Gate Bridge and headed onto the other out and back section along Ambleside and Dunderave. At this point it was getting to be 8:30am so there were more folks out strolling and walking their dogs. The stretch through the doggy park at Ambleside is most of the reason I signed up for the race. We got to see a few happy puppies and luckily they were all used to runners so were well behaved. Just as we turned onto the Ambleside path we saw the lead runner heading for the finish. Counting down the km markers now, and out of Ambleside, through the parking lot to join up with the Dunderave Seawall. Usually when there are races on, you see a lot of irritated drivers, today - just as we hit the seawall, these two women out for a stroll wandered onto the seawall as well. One woman was especially cranky, she tried to head to the right side to get out of the way of the runners heading out the path and then realized she was going to be run over by the runners heading back. "Well, why don't they just take over both sides of the path then? :evil: " Other than that woman, there was room for everyone.

And finally, the last turnaround at 16km, just have to try not to die in the last 5km, the return route was along a bike path I've never taken before, very pretty!, back to the doggy park, up the path, turn left and we're back in the parking lot and on the last km. Around a couple more corners and yay, it's over.

Final time 2:02:09 - I actually managed a small negative split. Since this was a North Shore run, that put me pretty much at the bottom of the heap for 50-59 women (11/14), there were four of them just two minutes ahead of me but on this day that might as well have been an hour. Overall a good race and a nice event.

There was a Sport physio company out giving massages which was fabulous, thanks to their ministrations, I will be able to walk tomorrow.
Last edited by marymac442 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Spirit of the Shore Half Marathon

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:21 pm

Good job. I'm dizzy from that course description!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:44 pm

Sounds nice! Might have to try this one next year but I hope they will change back to the old route.

Nice time!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:56 pm

Spirit wrote:Good job. I'm dizzy from that course description!

Me too! Sounds like you had a great race though! Congrats!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:40 pm

Great race and report . Oh yes - I am still reeling from all the turns!! Congratulations!! :)

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:15 pm

Well done Mary, given the course changes. I could only imagine the chaos you experienced at Park Royal; the place is crazy at the moment with all the construction going on. A sub 2hr or close to that would have been doable if it were not for the climb up 11th Ave. Heading down Taylor way must have been a little crazy as well.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:23 pm

Nice work on the race/negative split!!

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:59 pm

Enjoyed reading this. Good job on the race :)
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:32 pm

I can't imagine running through a parkade :lol: . Great job on an interesting route!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:59 pm

Sounds like an interesting race route.
Good job!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Return to “Run/Race Reports”